Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,598 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m (13371 Views)

Traders Count Losses As Police Demolish Computer Village POWA Complex / Owners Of Looted Shops At Surulere Mall Cry As They Count Losses / Traders Count Losses As ‘mysterious’ Fire Wipes Out Section Of Katangowa Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by ProsperChild: 1:49am On May 03, 2019
Tears, agony at Onitsha Main Market
sunnewsonline.com May 2, 2019 9:02 AM
Traders count losses as fire destroys goods worth N50m
Tears, agony at Onitsha Main Market
Jeff Amechi Agbodo, Onitsha

Traders at Johnson Street, near Main Market Onitsha, Anambra State have been counting their losses following an inferno that destroyed goods worth N50 million at the market.

The fire, which started at night, when activities at the market had closed and the traders had gone home for the day, consumed no fewer than 10 warehouses stocked with diapers, babies’ items, cosmetics and other goods.

The cause of the fire has not yet been ascertained, but there are insinuations that it might be some spark from an electric outlet or from a generating set near the place.

It took the efforts of security men at the market, youths and water vendors to prevent the fire from spreading to the main market. That would, no doubt, have been a disaster.

A security man at the market gate, Mr. Clement Orakwe said that the fire started about 8pm when he sighted some smoke from the market line. He thereafter rushed to the scene and noticed that the building was on fire, he said, adding that he promptly raised the alarm.

“When I noticed the fire, I raised the alarm and other security men and some youths from nearby residential houses rushed out. So we immediately contacted the fire service that is stationed at the main market. The people came with one truck but said that they did not have enough water and they left after exhausting the little water that they came with.

“We were helpless because if the fire was allowed to spread to the next building, the entire main market would have been consumed. So, we started calling the owners of the shops on phone, and some of them came immediately. Thank God for the water vendors whom we mobilised. They were the ones that fetched the water that we used to put out the fire with the efforts of other youths,” Orakwe stated.

A victim of the fire, Mr. Chima Kenechukwu, who deals in cosmetics and babies products, said that he was called on phone by some people that his warehouse was on fire. he regretted that before he could arrive at the market, his entire stock, amounting to over N6 million, had been razed.

“My surprise is that there is no electricity in the warehouse and nobody lives there. So the question is, how did the fire come into this place? We suspect that our neighbour who uses big generating set did not change over to electricity and when they restored electric power, there was a power jam or surge that led to the spark which caused the inferno,” he stated.

Another victim, Mr. Ugochukwu Agwunobi, also known as Ugobest, who deals in sporting equipment, said that he offloaded goods worth N15 million into the warehouse two days before the incident. He regretted that all the goods were destroyed in the infernor.

“I lost over N15 million worth of goods to the fire,” he bemoaned. “When I got the information about the fire and rushed to the market, it was too late, and I could not remove anything. I don’t know the cause of the fire. We are calling on government, the state and national emergency management agencies and other kind-hearted individuals and groups to please come to our aid.

“All I have toiled for years was gone within some minutes. How will I feed my family and provide for their needs? Where will I get money to start all over again? How can I survive this? But I thank God that there is life, and I know that help will come my way. If no help comes my way, then I’m finished,” Agwunobi lamented.

Mr. Emeka Ugwumba, also known as Dada, who deals in diapers, said he lost over N8 million worth of goods to the fire.

“It was about 8pm. I had just got home when a security man called me on phone and told me that my shop was burning. I thought it was a joke because it was just about an hour after I left the place. I called another security man at the market who confirmed the incident.

“So, I had to rush back to the market, and lo and behold, by the time that I got there, all my goods that I had just stocked in the warehouse were on fire. You can imagine how diapers would burn. Nothing was saved from the place. It was the efforts of the water vendors that stopped the fire from spreading to the other shops, because they were the ones bringing water that was used to stop the fire from causing more havoc.

“The loss is too much. Where will I start? I need assistance from the government, corporate bodies and individuals. The situation in the country now is difficult. Things are very difficult. We are talking about feeding. It will not be easy to start again without getting some support. That is why we’re begging the government and kind-hearted Nigerians to help us,” he pleaded.

The caretaker of the burnt warehouse Chief Wilfred Ibe, who sympathized with the victims of the fire, said he travelled outside the state when he got the information about the fire incident. He said he quickly rushed back to notice that the shops were completely burnt.

“We are calling on government to come to their aid because the goods burnt here are worth about N50 million. We condemn the attitude of the fire fighting officials at the market who said they had no water when they were called. So what is the essence of the fact that these people were stationed at the market if they don’t always have water to put out fire?

“We commend the efforts of the Hausa youths who were bringing gallons of water with their pushing trucks that was used to put out the fire. I also commend the traders and youths who stormed the place in the night to fight the fire and put it out. But for their efforts, it would have been a total disaster for entire main market,” Ibe said.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/tears-agony-at-onitsha-main-market/

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by ProsperChild: 1:56am On May 03, 2019
Stop posting these things,on my trend, Mod take note.
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by chukwuibuipob: 2:00am On May 03, 2019
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed shocked sad embarassed sad shocked embarassed
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Nobody: 2:42am On May 03, 2019
Take those Fulani Muslim, water vendors to Okija Shrine and make them swear that they had no hand in the fire.

Your enemy cannot protect you.

7 Likes

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by UniQue84: 2:45am On May 03, 2019
Wow that was a huge amount, what a loss.
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:16am On May 03, 2019
Another victim, Mr. Ugochukwu Agwunobi, also known as Ugobest, who deals in sporting equipment, said that he offloaded goods worth N15 million into the warehouse two days before the incident. He regretted that all the goods were destroyed in the infernor.
I lost over N15 million worth of goods to the fire,” he bemoaned. “When I got the information about the fire and rushed to the market, it was too late, and I could not remove anything
This is some Colossal lost.
So sad. sad

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by MadCow1: 5:17am On May 03, 2019
The Igboman will never buy insurance.... angry

He will tell you his insurance cometh from the Lord.. grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:17am On May 03, 2019
All I have toiled for years was gone within some minutes. How will I feed my family and provide for their needs? Where will I get money to start all over again? How can I survive this? But I thank God that there is life, and I know that help will come my way. If no help comes my way, then I’m finished,” Agwunobi lamented.
This is just so sad.
We pray that Help will come your way Mr Agwunobi.
Once there is life , there is hope!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:18am On May 03, 2019
“We commend the efforts of the Hausa youths who were bringing gallons of water with their pushing trucks that was used to put out the fire. But for their efforts, it would have been a total disaster for entire main market,” Ibe said
This is how to be your brother's keeper.
God bless the Hausa Youths for doing this good and POSITIVE deed in a place far from their land.....using the water they sell for a living to put out the fire, (hundreds of gallons!), putting aside money at that moment in time!
Greater love has no man than this!

We hope some tribalistic animals, that know nothing more than cursing out other tribes can learn from this.

In ONE NIGERIA we BELIEVE

Peace out!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Fromban(m): 5:18am On May 03, 2019
Too bad
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by tstx(m): 5:20am On May 03, 2019
Chai.... What a pity
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:25am On May 03, 2019
Forreellinc:
grin no be only 50m you for talk 500billion make we know say una serious
Flat head people can scam for africa
Is this the best you can type on this kind of sad thread?!
Your people should be very ashamed of you.

SAY NO TO TRIBALISM!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by aanuoluwami14(f): 5:26am On May 03, 2019
Sorry ooo, God will send financial help to you to start a new life
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Manson1(m): 5:26am On May 03, 2019
This is four bedroom residential accommodation designed by asomarchitectng..

It's has an ante room, living room, dinning area with bar ,laundry and all rooms ensuite. Contact us for the complete architectural drawings..

See my signature for more details...

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Pavore9: 5:27am On May 03, 2019
Sad. I doubt they had their business insured.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Nobody: 5:40am On May 03, 2019
Sorry my brothers. Genuine, dwarf fenced and duly registered six plots of land for sale besides Uniziks perm site Awka call 08055717370

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by IvarTheBoneless: 5:52am On May 03, 2019
undecided

Nna mehnnnnn.... and Afonjas have decided to be giving us tribal marks in Ragos, mehnnnnn.

Where do we go to, mehnnnn? cry

Israel?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by timilehing(m): 5:58am On May 03, 2019
Gbèsè
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Chidimercy: 5:59am On May 03, 2019
Sorry, it's really painful
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Nobody: 5:59am On May 03, 2019
TarOrfeek:

Take those Fulani Muslim, water vendors to Okija Shrine and make them swear that they had no hand in the fire.

Your enemy cannot protect you.

Do you smoke in your sleep?

Yes marijuana might be a relieve zone, but I strongly believe you may have gone overboard.

You are not alone in this, we are all frustrated in different measures for different reasons... its life, but we all carry it the best we can hoping and keeping faith rather than what you are doing.

I pray you realise this before it's too late.

8 Likes

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Alamu1111: 6:01am On May 03, 2019
Bad news
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by lonelydora: 6:07am On May 03, 2019
Chai!

May God replenish their loss in 10 folds in Jesus Name. AMEN
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Nelly613: 6:14am On May 03, 2019
WATCH VIDEO HERE
WATCH VIDEO HERE
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by handsomeyinka(m): 6:15am On May 03, 2019
That’s the purpose of having an insurance in a business..,Its sucks to pay the monthly payment but it puts your business in safe hands..

I wonder if most landlords in Nigeria have insurance on there properties

1 Like

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by StudyCrestLtd: 6:20am On May 03, 2019
We suspect that our neighbour who uses big generating set did not change over to electricity and when they restored electric power, there was a power jam or surge that led to the spark which caused the inferno,” he stated

How does not changing over lead to power Jam or Surge

1 Like

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by 2special(m): 6:21am On May 03, 2019
if this had happened in Lagos state some set of people will blame Bola Ahmed Tinubu of planning to take over the market.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by Ekejoestar(m): 6:28am On May 03, 2019
cry cry
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by anochuko01(m): 6:29am On May 03, 2019
Anyone who is happy with this news would be visited by a great inferno too
Re: Onitsha:Traders Count Losses As Fire Destroys Goods Worth N50m by omenkaLives(m): 6:32am On May 03, 2019
This one happened right in their doorstep. Let us see if they would show as much interest as they are doing since last night over installation of Iyaloja and Babaloja in a market in YORUBALAND!!

That thread is over ten pages and counting. Let's see if this would garner up to two.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

At What Rate Does CBN Sell Dollars To BDCs? / ‘How CBN Can Track $26bn Binance Transactions’ - Obinna Iwuno / CBN To Relax FX Policy As Act Of 2004 Opens Windows Of Opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.