Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please (1967 Views)

Ezekwesili To DSS: Stop Embarrassing Yourself, Tell Us Truth Of Emefiele Matter / Bode George: Tinubu And Osibanjo Should Tell Nigerians How Alpha Bet Was Founded / Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 03, 2019
Nigeria is a failed country, do you know that history isn't taught in school? I learnt about Benin kingdom on net.

Some people say the civil war was caused by Igbo because of greed.

Some said it was caused by northerners because of greed.

I really want to know what happen.

The one that is starting to make since is Ahmadu bello and gowon planned it and slaughter millions of igbos so that Nigeria won't be regionalised and it will benefit the north, ojukwu heard about it and decided to seceded.

My question is why did ojukwu wanted Midwest even though it wasn't in eastern Nigeria?

Why didn't ojukwu negotiate with other Midwest and Yoruba to see their stance?

I need answers please
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by boyfwend(m): 7:24pm On May 03, 2019
You no get GOOGLE for your phone?
Stop posting nonsense.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by etrouble: 7:50pm On May 03, 2019
I have other important things to do that start talking about some fools who sacrificed over three million of their brethren to the Yotuba gods of Ogun, Sango, Aiyelala, Obatala, Oya, Osun and Esu Odara. Just bear at the back of your mind that if you Flattinos start another senseless war, the 1967 to 1970 suspended Xmas party will be re-enacted. You cannot start a war and then start shouting genocide. What do people do in times of war? Hug and kiss? Just start another senseless uprising and see the Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani soldiers use you for pepper soup and suya and your ladies and women for sex slaves. Disagreements and differences are discussed and sorted at the round table, but aggression, chest beating and arrogance is your inherited gene.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:
I have other important things to do that start talking about some fools who sacrificed over three million of their brethren to the Yotuba gods of Ogun, Sango, Aiyelala, Obatala, Oya, Osun and Esu Odara. Just bear at the back of your mind that if you Flattinos start another senseless war, the 1967 to 1970 suspended Xmas party will be re-enacted. You cannot start a war and then start shouting genocide. What do people do in times of war? Hug and kiss? Just start another senseless uprising and see the Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani soldiers use you for pepper soup and suya and your ladies and women for sex slaves. Disagreements and differences are discussed and sorted at the round table, but aggression, chest beating and arrogance is your inherited gene.
hmm I'm not Igbo but if you are Yoruba and you are still supporting the north then there's no hope for you

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by ken6488(m): 7:58pm On May 03, 2019
Excaperx:
hmm I'm not Igbo but if you are Yoruba and you are still supporting the north then there's no hope for you

At all......

2 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Mille: 7:59pm On May 03, 2019
Excaperx:
Nigeria is a failed country, do you know that history isn't taught in school? I learnt about Benin kingdom on net.

Some people say the civil war was caused by Igbo because of greed.

Some said it was caused by northerners because of greed.

I really want to know what happen.

The one that is starting to make since is Ahmadu bello and gowon planned it and slaughter millions of igbos so that Nigeria won't be regionalised and it will benefit the north, ojukwu heard about it and decided to seceded.

My question is why did ojukwu wanted Midwest even though it wasn't in eastern Nigeria?

Why didn't ojukwu negotiate with other Midwest and Yoruba to see their stance?

I need answers please

I have always wondered why real Nigeria history is not taught in school. Same way our textbooks and schools are telling us Usman Dan Fodio, the Terrorist was a great man.

watch this space. I'll modify later and give you my version of the events.

MODIFIED.
PLEASE LET ME FINISH BEFORE YOU START QUOTING HALF-BAKED STORY .

January 1966, A group of young soldiers led a coup against the government. They were led by 8 Majors of the Nigerian Army, 7 Igbos and one Yoruba (Major Ademoyega). They cited corruption as the reason for the coup but of course, it may be true or not but we will never know.

The coup plotters murdered the major Nigerian leaders at that time. Major casualties include: Prime minister, Tafawa Balewa; Ahmadu Bello, Premier of Northern Nigeria; Ladoke Akintola, Premier of Western Nigeria and Festus Okotie-Eboh (finance minister, an Itsekiri man). The coup was later repressed by the Army led by Aguiyi-Ironsi who was the most senior officer at the time and seized power for himself. Now this is where it gets interesting.

The coup plotters did not murder the Premier of Eastern Nigeria, Michael Opara(Igbo), the President, Nnamdi Azikwe (Igbo and not in Nigeria at the time of the coup), the acting President at the time, Nwafo Orizu (Igbo, Senate President). In truth, no major Igbo casualty. Aguiyi Ironsi who later seized power through the coup was also Igbo and did not execute or even arrest any of the coup plotters (A very big mistake considering that plotting coups =Death). One of the coup leaders, Major Nzeogwu even granted a BBC interview smiling on National television narrating how he had killed Ahmadu Bello and his wife.

The North took this as Igbos going ahead to "dominate Nigeria" after Aguiyi-Ironsi cancelled the autonomy of each of the three regions and centralised power with his unitary system of governance. Ahmadu Bello had earlier accused the Igbos of planning to dominate Nigeria before he was murdered, which was the main reason why he started his Northernization policy. The lack of Igbo casualties, the non-punishment of the coup plotters and Ironsi centralizing power and taking away the freedom of the three regions increased the fear of Igbo domination and led to the counter-coup where Aguiyi-Ironsi was murdered and deposed. Northerners also started the 1966 anti-Igbo pogrom where Igbos in Northern Nigeria were massacred for months.

Ojukwu would subsequently secede from Nigeria and declare the Republic of Biafra..

To answer your questions.

1. No. Gowon and Ahmadu Bello did not plan it. Ahmadu Bello had been murdered before the war and the North did the counter-coup with the intention of actually seceding from the Nigerian Union. Also, Regionalism was already in play before that and it was an Igbo, Aguiyi-Ironsi that stopped the regionalism in favor of the Unitary system. So it's false.

2. If Ojukwu had seceded with the Igbos alone, there would have been no war. But oil had been discovered, Ojukwu wanted it, Nigeria wanted it. France also saw it as an avenue to add a new African state to Francophone Africa, an oil rich one at that. So in truth, the war was not about the people, it was about oil.
Ojukwu vs Nigeria for the oil, France vs Britain for control of the oil.

3. He knew too well he would not get support from the West given they we were casualties of the coup also and also from the Midwest because they knew the war wasn't about them or the people, it was due to the fact that Biafra leaders wanted control of their oil wealth.

6 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by theenchanter: 8:02pm On May 03, 2019
U can read "why we struck" by Adewale Ademoyega, he's one of the coupist n I find his book enlightening about d civil war.

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by etrouble: 8:04pm On May 03, 2019
Mille:

I have always wondered why real Nigeria history is not taught in school. Same way our textbooks and schools are telling us Usman Dan Fodio, the Terrorist was a great man.

watch this space. I'll modify later

Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist? What about Agbari Ojukwu that sacrificed over three million of your grandfathers and grandmothers to the Yoruba gods but he fled to Ivory Coast? What do you call him? Hero Beer or nonsensical flat head?

3 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by etrouble: 8:05pm On May 03, 2019
Excaperx:

What hope do you as a person or your tribe have? You are supporting the people that declared war against the Federal Republic when they know that they are chicken hearted. What hope do you have?

2 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 03, 2019
theenchanter:
U can read "why we struck" by Adewale Ademoyega, he's one of the coupist n I find his book enlightening about d civil war.
he will just add a pro Yoruba sentiment
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

What hope do you as a person or your tribe have? You are supporting the people that declared war against the Federal Republic when they know that they are chicken hearted. What hope do you have?
you know Nigeria isn't one(homogeneous), if an ethic group decides to leave this scam of a country, don't they have the right to self determination?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by theenchanter: 8:13pm On May 03, 2019
Excaperx:
he will just add a pro Yoruba sentiment
no, he didn't.... the coup didn't start as a result of tribalism but nationalism.

U can read it.
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Mille: 8:18pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist? What about Agbari Ojukwu that sacrificed over three million of your grandfathers and grandmothers to the Yoruba gods but he fled to Ivory Coast? What do you call him? Hero Beer or nonsensical flat head?

Yes, Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist. Maybe they forgot to educate you on history but I will.

Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist just like the likes of ISIS who invaded Northern Nigeria with fellow terrorists from countries such as Mali, killing women and children in the process so as to FORCEFULLY CONVERT them to Islam. A terrorist who kept as many as 3 million slaves back in the Sokoto Caliphate and tried to replicate the same in Western Nigeria. It was CONVERT or DIE or be Enslaved.

He failed multiple times till he died in his bid to terrorise Yorubaland and forcefully convert us to Islam due to the gallantry of men of the Old Oyo empire. It was only his grandson who would later succeed, albeit temporarily due to the treachery of Afonja before they would be chased out by the newly formed Ibadan Army. If you know something else about Usman Dan Fodio, you have been sold a dummy.

I hope I have taught you some history today. And Yes, I'm proudly Yoruba and I have no business with Ojukwu or any of the sacrificial agbari grandfathers.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Turantula(m): 8:21pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

Alimi and Afonja are the real hero huh?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Turantula(m): 8:23pm On May 03, 2019
Mille:

Yes, Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist. Maybe they forgot to educate you on history but I will.

Usman Dan Fodio is a terrorist just like the likes of ISIS who invaded Northern Nigeria with fellow terrorists from countries such as Mali, killing women and children in the process so as to FORCEFULLY CONVERT them to Islam. A terrorist who kept as many as 3 million slaves back in the Sokoto Caliphate and tried to replicate the same in Western Nigeria. It was CONVERT or DIE or be Enslaved.

He failed multiple times till he died in his bid to terrorise Yorubaland and forcefully convert us to Islam due to the gallantry of men of the Old Oyo empire. It was only his grandson who would later succeed, albeit temporarily due to the treachery of Afonja before they would be chased out by the newly formed Ibadan Army. If you know something else about Usman Dan Fodio, you have been sold a dummy.

I hope I have taught you some history today. And Yes, I'm proudly Yoruba and I have no business with Ojukwu or any of the sacrificial agbari grandfathers.
Chest beater they weren't chased out, they are firmly entrenched in Kwara and ruling your people till eternity
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Mille: 8:43pm On May 03, 2019
Turantula:

Chest beater they weren't chased out, they are firmly entrenched in Kwara and ruling your people till eternity

Go and check the history books. How many of the attempted invaders from the earliest beginning were a source of income for the Yoruba slave traders. We used them to better our economy by trading them for as small as brandy then smiley

Maybe they didn't teach you also that Illorin itself was the Slave capital of Yorubaland. That's where the Northern invaders cum slaves were kept to work and toil for the Oyo empire. The remnants were only saved and recruited for the eventual assault by Afonja who was the General of Yorubaland at the time.

And lastly, the Yorubas did not care about Illorin and it's inhabitants. After the Ibadan army sacked the invaders, enslaved and traded the captured ones for guns, we left the traitors on their own. We would never accept back those who planned with the enemy against their own. Even mainstream Yorubas do not consider Illorin and its inhabitants one of us any longer. I grew up to family members telling us never to bring Illorin people home as partners.

Over here, they call Illorin ilu Afonja, meaning the land of traitors.

2 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by oilPUSSY(f): 8:53pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

I am sure you have a very short memory...Make Yoruba Muslim come out and contest for president again.. 1993 Sala celebration that was hosted By Babangida Will be a child's play to compare with what will happen...

I heard Babangida turned your mother's to chareful givers in 1993, hence your people today having mixed blood with fulanis.. Check the attitude of Yoruba Muslims and fulanis for confirmation..
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Stingman: 9:02pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

You have been at it for 50 years now and both of your regions are the poorest, except Lagos...which is the former federal capital.

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by ThePreachersSon: 9:05pm On May 03, 2019
Millions of people witnessed the war, some played an active role in it, some suffered during it, while some others watched comfortably from a distance. So you would get many versions of the event. Everyone who witnessed it has his or her own version of it. And they passed that down, so you'd definitely get a lot. The stories you'd get would be spiced, like our generals who leave out their failures and only publicize their victory.

One of the things I'm concerned with is this, why was Gowon not called to order after his soldiers carried perpetrated war crimes. The people who suffered most, were the innocent ones that Nigerian war planes shelled on a daily. But rogues like Ojukwu and his fellow separatists are celebrated. Those who died are the true heroes!

As a conclusion, I'd wish you well on your journey to unearth the truth about our past, and I know there would be an element of Truth in every story you're told.

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Stingman: 9:07pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

but after the sacrfice, you are have been since 50 years now in spite of federal government investing in your regions in the north and Sw...than other regions...See

“So far, we have 455,857 poor and vulnerable households uploaded onto the National Social Register, from which 297,973 households have been mined and are being paid stipends in 20 States.

“These States are Jigawa Bauchi, Kogi, Osun, Cross River, Anambra, Katsina, Kano, Taraba, Gombe, Adamawa, Niger, Nassarawa, Benue, Oyo, Ekiti, Kwara, Borno (IDP), Kaduna and Plateau. Mrayam Uwais (Special Adviser to the president on National Social Investment Programme)
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by KidsNEXTdoor: 9:14pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

Nobody is talking about War here

We don't have anything in common

You hate me

I hate you more

Why are we sharing this stupid country together?

It's only the stupid politicians who share the nation's treasury that wants and enforces the status quo..

The onus is on all of us to agitate for separation .. Because this country has no future

I'm talking about my biafra... Please talk about your own.. I dont know that it is...

Nobody is fighting anyone... We all want the same thing... You might probably want a country where Sharia law is practised totally... Not only in the north.
I bet you that once the separation takes place.. It's more easier for you...

Bye

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Blue3k(m): 9:16pm On May 03, 2019
Just visit a near by university library. You'll get troll answers here.
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:

Lalasticlala
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by BaaleOko: 9:18pm On May 03, 2019
etrouble:
Ibos have taken over Lagos and other SW states, they have economically conquered you, made you subhumans subject to panicky legislative decisions and actions to checkmate the growing Igbo domination. Igbo men have sexually conquered yoruba women cause the men are either too weak, or are too fractured to stand up to the standards of patriarchy...that's why every Funmi, Busayo,Bidemi, Tinu, Bukola gets fuccked by every Igbo dicck that crosses path with them. Yorubas currently stand for nothing ideologically, you are neither here or there, no foresight for yoruba self determination cause your brains are perennially configured to slave status. That's why all your lands, resources, sea ports, civil service etc are dominated by Fulanis and Igbos. If there is a war today between Igbos vs Hausa/Fulani and their yoruba lackeys today, no external influence from Britain or Russia...are you really that myopic to think you will defeat the Igbos?? Like Wetin dey even give you that morale? Which day ordinary yoruba begin get mouth to dare the Igbos to war? Have you weak idiot's even reclaimed the yoruba enclaves like Ilorin and some areas of Niger state that were annexed by Fulani and Nupe people respectively?the effrontery of these afonja apes has gone past a joke, it's now more insidious. I'm praying for the day that war you are asking for happens, people have had enough and limits have already been overreached...God please let this much awaited war start already, I need some useless afonja animals whose heads I want to decapitate and use as souvenir of relishing memories.
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by kingzizzy: 9:22pm On May 03, 2019
Mille:

watch this space. I'll modify later and give you my version of the events.

They dont teach the history of the civil because if they did, it would expose the fact that Ojukwu was fighting to defend his people. The narrative that the Northerners and their Yoruba friends have been spinning for years is that Ojukwu started a war and it led to the death and suffering of millions of his people. Then Ojukwu cowardly ran away in.the end to protect his own skin.

For years and years they kept repeating this lie to blame the civil on Ojukwu and exonerate themselves.

What they didn't know is that the age of internet was coming.

The war was caused by the over bearing ambition of the North to control Nigeria. It's just that Igbos decided not to take it lying down like all the rest in Southern Nigeria

In life, if someone tries to enslave you, you will have only two options, accept slavery or fight to be free

3 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Blue3k(m): 9:25pm On May 03, 2019
Excaperx:

Nobody is stopping any state from adding to the curriculum. They simply dont wish to. The constitution gives federal government the right to set minimum standards.

Lobby your stsate and local governments to pay the history teachers.
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 03, 2019
The coup of 1966 and the killing of Igbos in Northern Nigeria wouldn't have been problematic enough to start the Civil War if Ojukwu and Gowon did put their prides in check.

I believe this is the summary of what you wanted to hear.
Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by oilPUSSY(f): 9:55pm On May 03, 2019
BaaleOko:

Ibos have taken over Lagos and other SW states, they have economically conquered you, made you subhumans subject to panicky legislative decisions and actions to checkmate the growing Igbo domination . Igbo men have sexually conquered yoruba women cause the men are either too weak, or are too fractured to stand up to the standards of patriarchy...that's why every Funmi, Busayo,Bidemi, Tinu, Bukola gets fuccked by every Igbo dicck that crosses path with them. Yorubas currently stand for nothing ideologically, you are neither here or there, no foresight for yoruba self determination cause your brains are perennially configured to slave status . That's why all your lands, resources, sea ports, civil service etc are dominated by Fulanis and Igbos. If there is a war today between Igbos vs Hausa/Fulani and their yoruba lackeys today, no external influence from Britain or Russia...are you really that myopic to think you will defeat the Igbos?? Like Wetin dey even give you that morale? Which day ordinary yoruba begin get mouth to dare the Igbos to war? Have you weak idiot's even reclaimed the yoruba enclaves like Ilorin and some areas of Niger state that were annexed by Fulani and Nupe people respectively?the effrontery of these afonja apes has gone past a joke, it's now more insidious. I'm praying for the day that war you are asking for happens, people have had enough and limits have already been overreached...God please let this much awaited war start already, I need some useless afonja animals whose heads I want to decapitate and use as souvenir of relishing memories.

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by HarryDuce(m): 9:57pm On May 03, 2019
•The Nigerian/Biafran war was fought mostly over oil. Denying this is just like the denial tactics of the Southern US that the American civil war was not fought over slavery.

•Nigeria -as at then - did not care about the minorities of the south: they were concerned with the oil.

•The wickedness of the Biafran soldiers towards the minorities made them support the Nigerian Govt. fully. Yes there were atrocities on both sides, but the Biafran soldiers were carrying out large scale atrocities on the people that were supposed to be fighting with them. Denying this makes the denier appear f0olish.

•The Northerners have a herd mentality. It was very easy to provoke them into a fit of rage. Had the affected parties been placated by the perpetrators of the coup, (the death of one of their own and the killing of Igbos and minorities) a lot of negativity would have been averted.

•The westerners had a lot to gain from a united Nigeria (obviously). Make no mistakes though, they were and still are the most tribalistic among the top ethnic groups; It affected their choices and not their love for Nigeria ( telling me not everyone was/is tribalistic is pointless; it should be obvious not everyone was/is).

•For the minorities, there are no permanent enemies. They align with whomever can push their needs to the forefront at a particular time. They aligned with the FG in 1967.

• The most populous ethnic groups were/are alike in their quest to exploit each other and minorities. None is more important than the other.

•As it stands now, we're stuck together. There's no pulling us apart.

2 Likes

Re: Someone Should Tell Me The Truth Of The Civil War In Nigeria, Please by leokid866: 10:02pm On May 03, 2019
KidsNEXTdoor:

Nobody is talking about War here

We don't have anything in common

You hate me

I hate you more

Why are we sharing this stupid country together?

It's only the stupid politicians who share the nation's treasury that wants and enforces the status quo..

The onus is on all of us to agitate for separation .. Because this country has no future

I'm talking about my biafra... Please talk about your own.. I dont know that it is...

Nobody is fighting anyone... We all want the same thing... You might probably want a country where Sharia law is practised totally... Not only in the north.
I bet you that once the separation takes place.. It's more easier for you...

Bye

Please let's just stop with the whole Nigeria should separate talk, it's like you people do not realize what it would cost for Nigeria to seperate. God help us if it stops at spilling each others blood. If nigeria separates the countries that it will break into will be completely useless in terms of currency and trade for like the first five years. Are you people ready to go through a war or pseudo war where your children will be slaughtered with out mercy, and if you end up seperating the land you are going to be left with will go into serious economic recession that would take years to stabilize no matter how good you are.

Ask yourself is it really worth it?

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING - Court Threatens DSS Boss To Release Sowore Or Go To Jail (see Order) / PDP Gubernatorial Candidate, Says It's Time To Move On / Why Nigeria Army Call It's Citizens Bloody Civilians"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.