Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

How Could We Have Been This Gullible? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Could We Have Been This Gullible? (1512 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:13pm On May 04, 2019
I remembered a time not too far from now when the average Nigerian believed these stories

1. How Oyelusi (the notorious armed robber of the 70s) drove his car from Ibadan to Lagos with Reverse Gear while being pursued by the Police.

2. How India was banned from playing international football because they were using Indian Juju (and the ball will turn itself into a lion before the goal keeper)

3. How Thunder Balogun fired a shot with his left leg and the ball passed through the stomach of the best goalie in the world then killing him instantly..
And how he vowed never to play football again.

4. I bet you remember how the acrobatic riders (those who ride before the motorcade of the president) are the ones who lead in battles with no single gun or weapon.

5. Sorry, I can't remember the name of this armed robber who was to be executed by the firing squad. It was said that after volleys upon volleys of bullet was expended on him and he refused to die. He had to pity the solders by telling them the secret of his Juju before one bullet was fired to kill him.

And many more. Sorry, if you are an indomie generation you wouldn't know about these.

You can add yours if you remember any!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by czarina(f): 11:07pm On May 05, 2019
Lol... Never heard of number one. Funny all the same cheesy
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by choice17(m): 11:35pm On May 05, 2019
grin
Nigerians has been gullible since times immemorial
We keep believing politicians promises every now and then.
I don't think there is anything more laughable than that
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 7:46am On May 06, 2019
czarina:
In the days when internet was still a dream

2 Likes

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 7:47am On May 06, 2019
I still wonder why we didn't ask enough Questions
czarina:

1 Like

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 7:50am On May 06, 2019
choice17:
grin
Nigerians has been gullible since times immemorial
We keep believing politicians promises every now and then.
I don't think there is anything more laughable than that
But for our elections, the educated elites are the complainers BUT it is the uneducated almajiri's that do the voting.

Social media don't win elections!
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 4:00pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:
I still wonder why we didn't ask enough Questions

Now that internet is for real, do we still not believe ridiculous things like

Jesus was born by a virgin?

God created the heavens and earth in 7 days?

And there was a big bang!?

Why aren't we asking questions now?

1 Like

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 4:20pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

Now that internet is for real, do we still not believe ridiculous things like

Jesus was born by a virgin?

God created the heavens and earth in 7 days?

And there was a big bang!?

Why aren't we asking questions now?
Do you have an alternate theory that works?

I am sure you didn't think we'll about this before writing this post!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 5:33pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

Do you have an alternate theory that works?

I am sure you didn't think we'll about this before writing this post!
You yourself already proposed an "alternate theory" that works. "Ask enough questions" "now that internet does exist", is how you put it, and the only word I'd expand on is your "internet", to, "now that we are more intelligent and have the tools to ask".
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 6:26pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

You yourself already proposed an "alternate theory" that works. "Ask enough questions" "now that internet does exist", is how you put it, and the only word I'd expand on is your "internet", to, "now that we are more intelligent and have the tools to ask".
I asked about your own theory, not mine.

FYI, I believe very strongly in that which you despise: The reason is obvious though: it's about scope of Knowledge and understanding.

And FYI, God didn't create the heavens and the earth in seven days! That's a wrong conception
AND
There was a Big bang: This is from science! But it doesn't negate the Scriptures as per creation.

Jesus conception from a virgin: you and I do not have a scientific evidence and we can't even get it.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2019
My own theory is to believe nothing. To always questions and to seek to know.

There is obviously sufficient theory to inform one of virgin birth for one to know or believe.

shadeyinka:

I asked about your own theory, not mine.

FYI, I believe very strongly in that which you despise: The reason is obvious though: it's about scope of Knowledge and understanding.

And FYI, God didn't create the heavens and the earth in seven days! That's a wrong conception
AND
There was a Big bang: This is from science! But it doesn't negate the Scriptures as per creation.

Jesus conception from a virgin: you and I do not have a scientific evidence and we can't even get it.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:
My own theory is to believe nothing. To always questions and to seek to know.

There is obviously sufficient theory to inform one of virgin birth for one to know or believe.

I know of a fact that the Spiritual Realm is Superimposed on the Physical realm. Both of these two realms operate on Different rules and laws.

I have tasted both sides to conclude that those who feel that anything that cannot be explained by the physical laws are mere figments of imagination are just simply myopic. There is nothing that can be done by anyone to help them.

The ancients were not scientifically sophisticated but were more Spiritually superior to us in the contemporary world. We now are scientifically advanced but correspondingly Spiritually blind and ignorant!

Any faith that cannot stand questioning is not worth a thing. And it is stupidity to believe a thing that doesn't make logical sense at least to yourself

1 Like

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I know of a fact that the Spiritual Realm is Superimposed on the Physical realm. Both of these two realms operate on Different rules and laws.

I have tasted both sides to conclude that those who feel that anything that cannot be explained by the physical laws are mere figments of imagination are just simply myopic. There is nothing that can be done by anyone to help them.

The ancients were not scientifically sophisticated but were more Spiritually superior to us in the contemporary world. We now are scientifically advanced but correspondingly Spiritually blind and ignorant!

Any faith that cannot stand questioning is not worth a thing. And it is stupidity to believe a thing that doesn't make logical sense at least to yourself

I agree that the ancients were not sophisticated. It is a view I expressed here. And I accept that the "Spiritual Realm is Superimposed on the Physical realm", though I claim 'relate' as opposed to "superimpose", as stated by "will be done on earth as it is in heaven. It is a view being discussed under the topic " As above so below".

Even though my faith might stand questioning I still question it by putting it to work and then checking if the produced fruit is to my liking. And I learnt this by questioning God who told me that God had faith but tested it by exercising that faith in "Let there be light", and when light was produced as a fruit of that test it was found to be good faith, "so buda, go and do likewise", said the Lord, and "be fruitful and rule" and "be blessed". I explain further here.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

I agree that the ancients were not sophisticated. It is a view I expressed here. And I accept that the "Spiritual Realm is Superimposed on the Physical realm", though I claim 'relate' as opposed to "superimpose", as stated by "will be done on earth as it is in heaven. It is a view being discussed under the topic " As above so below".

Even though my faith might stand questioning I still question it by putting it to work and then checking if the produced fruit is to my liking. And I learnt this by questioning God who told me that God had faith but tested it by exercising that faith in "Let there be light", and when light was produced as a fruit of that test it was found to be good faith, " so buda, go and do likewise", said the Lord, and "be fruitful and rule" and "be blessed". I explain further here.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the @bolded?

I think I agree with with you in the sense that God doesn't need our worship.
And Christian service is defined by
1. Loving God and Man
2. Using your gifts and talents to further the kingdom of God on earth (building children of God)
3. Delivering others from the imprisonment of satan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 8:11pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the @bolded?
I put it to you that you very fully understand what I said in the bolded, but I ask if the fact that it might oppose your understanding you can't compute it?
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

I put it to you that you very fully understand what I said in the bolded, but I ask if the fact that it might oppose your understanding you can't compute it?
I did modify the text. But truly I do not understand the @ bolded
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:15pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 8:18pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

Well, you are going to have to question with a proper question. Perhaps start by telling me what the bolded meant to you and I tell you if it meant what you understand or I correct where it differs.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 8:19pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

I think I agree with with you in the sense that God doesn't need our worship.
And Christian service is defined by
1. Loving God and Man
2. Using your gifts and talents to further the kingdom of God on earth (building children of God)
3. Delivering others from the imprisonment of satan.
You perfectly understood here.

1 Like

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2019
budaatum:

Well, you are going to have to question with a proper question. Perhaps start by telling me what the bolded meant to you and I tell you if it meant what you understand or I correct where it differs.

1. And I learnt this by questioning God who told me that God had faith

You question God and God told you that He had FAITH?
It doesn't make sense to me

2. but tested it by exercising that faith in "Let there be light", and when light was produced as a fruit of that test it was found to be good faith

Did God have to test his FAITH?

1 Like

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

1. And I learnt this by questioning God who told me that God had faith

You question God and God told you that He had FAITH?
It doesn't make sense to me
I asked God for understanding and God gave me understanding. Why does it not make sense? If I'd been smart and asked for Wisdom, would God not give me that too?

Yes, God has faith. "Faith" was one of the things referred to as "us" in "Lets us create". Some others that were " us" include Logos and Wisdom.

shadeyinka:
2. but tested it by exercising that faith in "Let there be light", and when light was produced as a fruit of that test it was found to be good faith

Did God have to test his FAITH?
No, God did not "have to test his FAITH". God could very well have been content and not tested God's faith by putting it to work, but when the Spirit of God hovered over the face of the deep and saw that it was "formless and empty and darkness", God commenced the six day work. And since God created buda in God's own image, buda too must not be content with "formless and empty and darkness", but should hover also and then do as God did, if buda knows how, that is.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by Bunny19: 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2019
And this is how they will end this thread with this their yeye religious banters..... Bunch of mediocres angry angry
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 12:12am On Jun 10, 2019
Bunny19:
And this is how they will end this thread with this their yeye religious banters..... Bunch of mediocres angry angry
I do beg your pardon. Just that I have not seen any contribution to the op from you not to talk of a "mediocre" one which I'm certain will educate me out of my mediocrity and yeyeness once presented. So do present it so the thread don't end please.

I have copied the op to ease your consideration and gleefully await your exceptional contribution.

The question was:

How Could We Have Been This Gullible?

shadeyinka:
I remembered a time not too far from now when the average Nigerian believed these stories

1. How Oyelusi (the notorious armed robber of the 70s) drove his car from Ibadan to Lagos with Reverse Gear while being pursued by the Police.

2. How India was banned from playing international football because they were using Indian Juju (and the ball will turn itself into a lion before the goal keeper)

3. How Thunder Balogun fired a shot with his left leg and the ball passed through the stomach of the best goalie in the world then killing him instantly..
And how he vowed never to play football again.

4. I bet you remember how the acrobatic riders (those who ride before the motorcade of the president) are the ones who lead in battles with no single gun or weapon.

5. Sorry, I can't remember the name of this armed robber who was to be executed by the firing squad. It was said that after volleys upon volleys of bullet was expended on him and he refused to die. He had to pity the solders by telling them the secret of his Juju before one bullet was fired to kill him.

And many more. Sorry, if you are an indomie generation you wouldn't know about these.

You can add yours if you remember any!
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by shadeyinka(m): 8:30am On Jun 10, 2019
budaatum:

I do beg your pardon. Just that I have not seen any contribution to the op from you not to talk of a "mediocre" one which I'm certain will educate me out of my mediocrity and yeyeness once presented. So do present it so the thread don't end please.

I have copied the op to ease your consideration and gleefully await your exceptional contribution.

The question was:

Thank you o!
I am still wondering where the discuss is going with him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by Bunny19: 10:20am On Jun 10, 2019
budaatum:

The question was:

I actually wanted to type an epistle to reply but on a second thought I discovered I'll be wasting my precious time n energy. Anyways.... U and op can have a field day.
Re: How Could We Have Been This Gullible? by budaatum: 4:30pm On Jun 11, 2019
Bunny19:
I actually wanted to type an epistle to reply but on a second thought I discovered I'll be wasting my precious time n energy. Anyways.... U and op can have a field day.
Pity. I was so looking forward to you educating me out of "mediocrity and yeyeness".

(1) (Reply)

Beautiful Wardrobe For Sale / When Has Making Babies Become A Do Or Die Affair? / My Horrible First Time Sex Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.