Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,321 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:28 PM

Harsh Truth About Young Entrepreneurship - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Harsh Truth About Young Entrepreneurship (234 Views)

Apply For Young Entrepreneurship And Leadership Program (YELP) For Nigerians, Ke / 2018 Takeda Young Entrepreneurship Award, Fund - ₦3.3M / 5 Harsh Truth Every Entrepreneur Should Have In Mind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Harsh Truth About Young Entrepreneurship by ElRapido: 10:25am On May 05, 2019
Something you'll notice is that the vast majority of self made young entrepreneurs who struck it big before 30 were doing some sort of online/low barrier of entry business. This is why everyone talks about eccommerce, copywriting, digital marketing, dropshipping..... And then bragging about $40k monthly revenue selling colorful socks online. It's much easier to scale.

Most real life businesses require significant financial capital plus industry knowledge and experience that a young man could not easily obtain unless he were born into it. Take manufacturing for example. A 21 year old out of college does not stand a chance compared to a 40 year old with years of experience/credibility and an established network. Ask yourself which one you trust more? Which of these two would you invest in?

It's a catch 22. We aspire to get rich as young as possible so that we can enjoy that wealth for the rest of our lives. But without industry expertise and significant startup capital, we're stuck with dropshipping or selling t-shirts. Yet if you spend a decade working in an industry, you will see massive loopholes that the average 20 year old guy cannot.

It's a complete myth that the average startup owner is a 20 year old dude. That is a tech stereotype. You only hear about these 20 year old's because of how rare they are. Which is why they get so much publicity. The average 30/40 something year old is much more confident, mature, experienced and financially grounded than the average 20 year old.

Your social background is also important. Your average Joe from Akron, Ohio has access to significantly less opportunity than Tony from Long Island who attends a top school and his parents are wealthy and have a strong network. Therefore he is going to have to pull himself entirely from his bootstraps. Whereas Tony is given the option between working at the investment bank that his uncle manages or being 100% financially supported by his family while he builds his startup.

Everyone sees the Kardashians and Dan Bilzerian living these crazy lives. Nobody bothers to mention that their fathers worked themselves into death and prison so that their children could have amazing lives that seem impossible for the average man to even fathom. Gurus like Grant Cardone won't tell the young men that watch his content every detail. He didn't start seeing the fruits of his labor until his 30's. And it took him a lot longer than 30 to become a private jet rich.

I'm not saying any of this to persuade you into quitting. I myself am a struggling entrepreneur who has been knocked in the head a couple of times so take my words for what they are. Back when I was 18 I was always so hyped about getting rich and dating models and having a fancy car. Then when I started to get more life experience I realized that if I was going to make it I was going to have to be a lot more humble. It could take a lot longer than I anticipated.

If you're struggling, don't focus too much on the 0.0000001% of 23 year olds with 8 figure eCommerce stores. Not only is it bad for your self esteem. But those guys are also exceptionally rare, and either very talented or very well connected. You will probably never even meet those guys outside of the internet.

For guys out there like me, we just got to do the best with what we have. Maybe you didn't hit one million dollars by 30. SO WHAT. You could still have 50+ years of life left. Most male hollywood actors' careers don't take off until 30's. If it takes me until my 40's, 50's, or EVEN 60's to make it, that doesn't mean I can't have an amazing life with what time I have left. And if I never make it big at least I can die knowing I gave it a shot.

This is the end of my rant about entrepreneurship. I feel like aspiring entrepreneurs do a good job of talking about the positive sides of entrepreneurship. But there needs to be more discussion about the sacrifices and harsh truths that come along with entrepreneurship. It's a lonely road out there. I remember all those times my friends were out partying and I blew them off to work. They thought I was crazy and they were probably right.

If you guys have anything else you would like to add please do.

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44

(1) (Reply)

Can I Open A Standard Account With 5000 Naira??? / Fowler: EFCC Probing FIRS Staff Over ‘fraudulent Payments’ / Senate Threatens To Shutdown Bet9ja Over Dishonor Of Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.