Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,399 members, 7,781,154 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:54 AM

Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect (413 Views)

Incorporating Technology In Modern-day Education / Abuja International Open Day Education Fair / First Massive Achievers Graduation Day - Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by erifeoluwasimi(f): 2:05pm On May 05, 2019
Education is the process of transferring knowledge , skills or information from one person to another through a means of communication.
Education does not necessarily mean schooling as many people believe. In this write-up I will be based majorly on general child upbringing which covers both formal and informal education .
We have heard and seen cases where parents blames the school/teacher for poor or inappropriate behaviour of children also the school tell us that education start from home.
With the present day education standards where a child join the school bus at 6am to close school by 4pm, in some cases he joins the after school program ( baby sitter,or tutorial classes) before heading home by 6pm.some also have weekend baby sitting program at school as well as part time boarding school, summer classes, summer vacation, etc
In the pursuit of more profit, the educational institutions forget the importance of letting the children have their parents around. No wonder the parents throw the blames back to the school.
In pursuit of career, freedom and business , many parents shun opportunity to have the kids around and expect the school to do it all.
Forgetting in a class minimum of 6 children are found, the teacher may overlook your children's behaviour due to many factors such as work pressure, target settings eg lesson plans, personal issues, fear of your reaction, etc
These are my thoughts.....
This brings us back to the drawing board, looking at today's world, who should be responsible for the child upbringing?
Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 05, 2019
This is what education means to you; it means many things to others.
Secondly, the parents are wholly responsible for the upbring of their child(ren). When the child reaches the age to understand it is a separate being and can take care of his mentality, then it also has a responsibility.

1 Like

Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 05, 2019
The responsibility lies more with the parent while the teacher plays his or her part. The teacher's responsibility is to impact knowledge on the students but it doesn't exempt him or her from disciplining when the need arises.

1 Like

Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by erifeoluwasimi(f): 5:44pm On May 05, 2019
asuustrike1:
The responsibility lies more with the parent while the teacher plays his or her part. The teacher's responsibility is to impact knowledge on the students but it doesn't exempt him or her from disciplining when the need arises.
That's right.
But looking at my stated situation which is the recent phenomenon expecially among the rich and middle class folks. A child spends about 14 hours max and 12 hours minimum with the teacher. The child sleep 8hours a day leaving the parent with 4 hours. This has caused a mixed reactions on who has more influence on a child
Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by erifeoluwasimi(f): 5:48pm On May 05, 2019
asuustrike1:
This is correct.
Let me shed more light with an example. I am a school administrator, a parent once complained that her daughter is above 2 but still uses diapers. She insisted that the school should be able to train the child.i wanted her to understand that to do potty training, it is advisable to start during a weekend when the child is at home. By Monday she should inform us so we continue from where she stopped. She said the school spend more time with the child and the child tend to obey the teacher more so we should do the job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 05, 2019
erifeoluwasimi:

This is correct.
Let me shed more light with an example. I am a school administrator, a parent once complained that her daughter is above 2 but still uses diapers. She insisted that the school should be able to train the child.i wanted her to understand that to do potty training, it is advisable to start during a weekend when the child is at home. By Monday she should inform us so we continue from where she stopped. She said the school spend more time with the child and the child tend to obey the teacher more so we should do the job.
Yeah
Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 05, 2019
cc:cc: lalasticlala move this.
Re: Present Day Education In Nigeria: Parents Vs Teacher Effect by Ope4Christ: 8:02pm On May 05, 2019
I am totally disappointed by the actions and inactions of parents of our generation, who are totally dedicated to their jobs while neglecting their primary responsibilities(training their children educationally, spiritually and morally). May I remind you that the first level of education starts from home - informally, at least from zero year to adulthood. Parents are PURELY responsible for the training of their children in the three major areas stated above which will prepare their children for formal education. From experience, parents are guilty in the following areas:

1. Indulging their children's bad behaviours. A failure of morality from you.

2. Teaching their children to report their teachers to them when their children are being disciplined for wrongdoings, so that they can come to school next day to fight teachers. Well done 'Mike Tyson' parents.

3. Negligence of their primary duties and passing them to the school. For example, a female parent came to our PTA meeting reporting that her child would not greet her in the morning that the school should do something about it. She was embarrassed when another parent told her that she should train her child how to greet from home and not from school.

4. Inability to mentor, mold and tutor their children into the appropriate careers for their future. All they say is my child must be a Medical Doctor and the school must put him/her in Science class when Career Test reveals that the child will be good in Art class. Mr and Mrs 'COUNSELOR' who are more knowledgeable than the school on career matters. Kudos to you.

5. No time for their children because they have to leave home by 5am only to come back by 10pm. Good parents! Keep it up, at least you have an housemaid to take up your duties.

Teachers of today are forced by parents to concentrate on academic performances of their children leaving out morals because any act of discipline by the school will be frowned at by the parents. How will a child attain success in academics without good morals? Parents answer this question.

Teachers will only play their roles based on the CHALLENGES thrown at them by parents(fear of the parents) and school management(three or four months without salary) coupled with their personal issues. Never forget that they are also human like you.

Parents please answer the following questions heartily.

1. If your parents had neglected you would you have become who you are today?

2. Are you training your children with moral trainings you received from your parents?

3. Who will enjoy your children in the future when they eventually become great, teachers or you?

If you can answer the above questions sincerely you will know the importance of training your children from home before teachers will COMPLEMENT what you have done at home in school.

In a nutshell, play your role and let the teachers complement your efforts, then your children will become great in life.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

JAMB To Release Pending Exam Results Today / JAMB Set To Release 2019 UTME Exams Today / Please Which Course Will Match With This Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.