Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,901 members, 7,806,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship (33846 Views)

‘Why El-Rufai Shut Arewa House Against Obi’s Supporters’ - The Guardian / Mai Mala Buni: Why El-rufai, Tinubu’s Ambitions Can’t Tear APC Apart In 2023 / Atiku Presidency: Why El-rufai Is Afraid - Tambuwal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by nairavsdollars(f): 6:55am On May 08, 2019
* Lagos Is Not Kaduna, Joe Igbokwe Tells El-Rufai

Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

The battle for President Muhammadu Buhari’s successor in 2023 is already causing ripples in the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) as Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, national leader of the party, and Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State are at loggerheads over who takes over as the Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF).

Both men are rumoured to be nursing the ambition of succeeding President Buhari in 2023.

El-Rufai, at the weekend, had taken a swipe at Tinubu’s dominance of the political structure in Lagos State, saying it was time to end godfatherism in the state just as he ended it in Kaduna State.

To free Lagos from Tinubu’s grip, El-Rufai said, one of the best ways is to start the campaign now by embarking on a study to understand why five million out of the six million voters in Lagos State did not vote.

“Here in Lagos, you have over six million registered voters, only about a million voted (in 2019 general elections); five million did not vote. If I want to run for governor of Lagos, I will start now.

“I will commission a study to know why those five million registered voters did not vote; where do they go on election day?

“Then I will start visiting them for the next four years. I will try and get just two million of them to come and vote for me; I will defeat any godfather. The key is to go to the people.

“The card reader and the biometric register have given us the tools to connect directly with the people. I assure you if you do that for the next four years, connecting with the people; the tin godfather, you will retire him or her permanently. But it is hard work; it requires three to four years of hard work. So, if you want to run in 2023, you should start now.”

Speaking with our correspondent on Tuesday, a member of the APC’s National Working Committee (NWC) said El-Rufai was embittered with Tinubu for interfering in the process of who becomes the next chairman of the Governors’ Forum, a position currently occupied by Abdulaziz Yari, outgoing governor of Zamfara State.

While El-Rufai is lobbying to succeed Yari, thinking the position would further help him in realising his presidential ambition, Tinubu is angling for Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State on the basis that Fayemi, who was first sworn in in October 2010 is the most senior among the governors.

The source said: “Yes, Governor El-Rufai is unhappy with the interference of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu in the leadership process of the Governors’ Forum.

“While he is desirous of succeeding Governor Yari of Zamfara, Tinubu is disposed to having Fayemi occupy the position.

“I think it all centres on the 2023 presidency. Though both of them have not come out in the open to admit it, it is widely believed that both men are working underground on how to succeed President Muhammadu Buhari in 2023, and they believe whoever occupies the position of the Governors’ Forum will have a key role to play.

“Most especially, El-Rufai believes that occupying the position will greatly increase his influence politically and as such is unhappy with the way Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos, is meddling in the process.”

Reacting to El-Rufai’s statement on Tuesday, Joe Igbokwe, publicity secretary of the APC in Lagos, noted that Lagos was not Kaduna where El-Rufai ended the dominance of godfathers.

He also said anyone who wanted to achieve Tinubu’s status in Nigerian politics must work hard and do less talking.

“That was what happened; he was making reference to Asiwaju Tinubu. The person that threw up the question is Muiz Banire, and you know the relationship between Banire and Asiwaju.

“But Lagos is not Kaduna. I have an article that I just wrote titled, ‘If You Want To Be Like Asiwaju, Go And Work’. I will make it available to you shortly.”

The article by Igbokwe reads: “They want to be like Asiwaju, they want to command respect, they want the world to accept them the way they have accepted Asiwaju, they want to get great followers like Asiwaju BAT, they want to be admired the way people admire Asiwaju, they want the people to love them the way they love Asiwaju, they want to stand tall anywhere they go like Asiwaju, they want to attract attention like Asiwaju, they want to be celebrated and honored like Asiwaju, they want to be worshiped the way Asiwaju’s great followers worship him, they want to be lifted up the way God has lifted Asiwaju up, they want to be noticed like Asiwaju, they want to stand out like Asiwaju and they want to influence decisions at all levels like Asiwaju, etc.

“But in actions and deeds they are not like Asiwaju. In character and in tolerance they are not like Asiwaju. In commitment and hard work they are not like BAT.

“In grace and empathy they are not like BAT. In temperament and love for humanity they are not like Asiwaju. They cannot surrender their home to the people the way BAT has been doing. They cannot fight for others the way BAT does.

“They cannot deny themselves freedom for the sake of others the way BAT does. They cannot stand for the ordinary people the way Asiwaju does. They cannot be trusted the way we trust BAT.

“They cannot give the way BAT does. They cannot sacrifice what BAT has sacrificed for humanity for close to 40 years. They cannot live for others the way the way Asiwaju has done for years. I can go on and on but he who must lead others must first lead himself.”
https://www.independent.ng/tinubu-el-rufai-lock-horns-over-ngf-chair/

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by chriskosherbal(m): 6:57am On May 08, 2019
All these politicians matter don tire me jare I just want to wake up and see a Nigeria of our dreams that is working .

God bless Nigeria

See signature.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by aolawale025: 6:58am On May 08, 2019
God fatherism does no good to society

4 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:03am On May 08, 2019
The opposition should take cue.... God is working in their favour..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by elchariotlp: 7:06am On May 08, 2019
Thier business
Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:09am On May 08, 2019
Governor Dr Fayemi for next NGF chairman. El Rufai should better go and sit down. The outgoing is North incoming must be Southwest .

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Mace0lane: 7:14am On May 08, 2019
To see a Nigeria that work pls wake up everyone morning n start insulting the trio of Ugwauyi Umahi n Ikpeazu for the failure that they are.

chriskosherbal:
All these politicians matter don tire me jare I just want to wake up and see a Nigeria of our dreams that is working .

God bless Nigeria

See signature.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:26am On May 08, 2019
Both men are rumoured to be nursing the ambition of succeeding President Buhari in 2023.
Insha Allah and in Jesus Mighty name Our amiable Vice President will take over from Our darling President come 2023.
We sane Nigerians will do it again.

May God give them long years in good health as they make our nation great again....and us as well.
Wisdom, knowledge and understanding will ALWAYS be with them.

To a New Nigeria we go..... If you don't want to go with us, you can go to Cameroun biko!

31 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by rawtouch: 7:26am On May 08, 2019
na their problem be that

1 Like

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by SmellingAnus(m): 7:27am On May 08, 2019
Ok
Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:27am On May 08, 2019
I can't vote either tinubu or El Rufia for president.
we should not expect anything from the presidency this four years because even those that enthroned him did it because of 2023

17 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Maxcollins042(m): 7:28am On May 08, 2019
Ramadan is just a few days old and some people have already slaughtered a GOAT. Happy Barça de Sallah to them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Imoh555(m): 7:28am On May 08, 2019
The north are just showing their true colors after using Yoruba's to win(rig) elections

14 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Alamu1111: 7:28am On May 08, 2019
Wetin come concern us if them like man dem beat there self

4 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Kendumazy(m): 7:30am On May 08, 2019
Hmm
Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by superlanny(m): 7:30am On May 08, 2019
See this electronic rufai o, better leave jagaban where he is, there are people who hold the keys to Nigeria and jagaban is one of them...he doesn't need to talk much, anyone debating whether Yoruba will lead Nigeria in 2023 is sleeping on a bicycle. Mark my words...

9 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Bobby4090: 7:31am On May 08, 2019
El Rufai for presidency? Is it the same man that should be going trial in the international court for threatening international observers with death and body bags? A die hard islamist who may even be worse than Buhari cannot and will never succeed him.

10 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:31am On May 08, 2019
F
Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Tomide007: 7:32am On May 08, 2019
The hidden hands behind the hidden hands.. .....if tinubu selects the ngf chair.. ....he selects the Senate president and also the speaker. .....just forget it.. ..tinubu doesn't need to be the president anymore. .....he's already the president.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Honor10: 7:34am On May 08, 2019
El-rufai will soon be served, the outgoing Chairman of governor's forum is from the North, so the incoming one should be from the north again? no one messes with Jagaban.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by QLife247: 7:34am On May 08, 2019
Fge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Tomide007: 7:36am On May 08, 2019
Bobby4090:
El Rufai for presidency? Is it the same man that should be going trial in the international court for threatening international observers with death and body bags? A die hard islamist who may even be worse than Buhari cannot and will never succeed him.
El Rufai can't even win in the north.

1 Like

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Chukwurah003: 7:37am On May 08, 2019
Esseite:
The opposition should take cue.... God is working in their favour..

In favour of thieves? What a joke

2 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Realdeals(m): 7:42am On May 08, 2019
Must he (Tinubu) interfere in everything, that's what is called greediness.

5 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:42am On May 08, 2019
Any time h wake up in the morning, just thank God that u have succeeded one night risk... Naija is a risk..

God take me to Ghana self.. will manage

3 Likes

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by Nobody: 7:42am On May 08, 2019
Any time h wake up in the morning, just thank God that u have succeeded one night risk... Naija is a risk..

God take me to Ghana self.. will manage..
Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by airsaylongcon: 7:42am On May 08, 2019
WiLdFLame:
Governor Dr Fayemi for next NGF chairman. El Rufai should better go and sit down. The outgoing is North incoming must be Southwest .

Chairman of NGF is always from the same region as the President

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why El-rufai Is Angry With Tinubu: Nigerian Governors' Forum Chairmanship by chukwuibuipob: 7:42am On May 08, 2019
sad.Shey Sanni is better by far.May this midget terrorist no blow up this country sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Someone Explain Why Kaduna Nzeogwu Is Igbo But His Village Is Not Igboland? / 2019: How Buhari Embarrassed Himself In Uyo – PDP / Bank Documents Show How Obasa Received N51.7 Million 11 Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.