Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:38 AM

Some Ways To Stop The Internet From Ruining Your Day - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Some Ways To Stop The Internet From Ruining Your Day (503 Views)

Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) / Smartphone Memes That Will Make Your Day / How Smartphones Are Ruining Our Conversations And Lifestyle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Some Ways To Stop The Internet From Ruining Your Day by Misskoool(f): 10:01am On May 08, 2019
The web is full of distractions that makes it hard to concentrate....Here are six actions you can take now.

(1) SCHEDULE UNINTERRUPTED WORK BLOCKS

Chart your workday in two-hour periods and quarantine tasks that don’t necessarily boost productivity—including meetings and phone calls—to some scheduled breaks between the blocks. “If you take a two-hour block and do literally no quick checks, your mind is operating at full capacity,” Newport says. It’s like having a cognitive superpower.

(2)HANG OUT WITH YOURSELF

By pulling out our phones at the first hint of boredom, most of us suffer from what Newport calls “solitude deficit,” which could be partly responsible for a 5 percent jump in anxiety-related disorders from 2017 to 2018. One way to work in alone time and harness it for creative gain is to practice productive meditation. Do something physical, like jogging, to focus your full attention on a single problem.

(3) SEND FEWER,MORE THOUGHTFUL EMAILS

The typical office worker sends or receives roughly 125 emails per day, according to analytics firm the Radicati Group. That’s potentially many hours wasted on low-quality communication. Newport’s solution: Ignore every email that doesn’t require a response, and for those that do, write one that minimizes the number of subsequent emails—instead of “Let me know when you want to meet up,” try “Let’s meet at Rocko’s Coffee at noon or 12:30.”

(4)PHONE A FRIEND

Digital interaction isn’t a substitute for real-time conversation. “Our brains don’t really understand a ‘like’ or a ‘happy birthday’ on Facebook,” Newport says, adding that such gestures don’t add a sense of connection or belonging. If your schedule doesn’t allow you to meet friends face-to-face, give them a call. You’ll feel better.

(5)CLEAN OUT YOUR TOOLBOX
Newport recommends taking a 30-day break from any digital tool that isn’t essential to your work, including social media and video games. You can also probably do without chat services and attention-guzzling websites such as Reddit. When the detox is complete, set clear productivity and relationship goals, then reintroduce only those services that help you achieve them. Set some boundaries, too—for instance, check Twitter only on your desktop computer.

(6)GET CRAFTY
As you scale back on your digital compulsions, make time for a hobby, whether it’s painting, playing an instrument, or even whittling. Use your hands productively, and you’ll create something you’re proud of. That’ll help you forget about whatever’s happening on your phone.

Hope you gain something cool
Re: Some Ways To Stop The Internet From Ruining Your Day by Branter: 6:13am On May 16, 2019
Really good tips. I have tried some of them and something changed in my life. Talking about toolbox I've decided not to clean my old one and to buy a new one. Spend a lot of time for searching a good example but https://toolsduty.com/best-portable-tool-box/ this review helped me a lot to make the final decision.

(1) (Reply)

Smartphone For Everyone: Meet Itel Mobile’s New Power Heroes, Itel P33 And P33 P / Get Your Tecno Spark 1GB/16GB Fingerprint At Affordable Price / Fairly Used Iphone 7 32 Gig For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.