Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,158 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death (17108 Views)

Hoodlums Steal Obafemi Awolowo’s Glasses From Statue As Looting Continues / Obafemi Awolowo‘s Mercedes-Benz 230.6 In His Ikenne Home / Nnamdi Azikiwe & Obafemi Awolowo And Their Cars (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by Fahd11: 8:44pm On May 09, 2019
Expect some ipob miscreants to comment..... Nnamdi Cownu messengers..
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by LZAA: 9:52pm On May 09, 2019
aycorporat:

This story has circulated for sometimes now and I just want to ask some questions herewith:

How possible is it for people to hold meetings and then the recorded video taped are distributed to each attendant of the meeting. For a man of Awolowo's sophistication is that not tantamount to exposure of oneself?

Secondly, the Ibrahim Babangida I heard of back then takes no prisoners, at least we are aware of Mamman Vatsa's framed up charges that led to his execution, Gideon Orkar etc

Thirdly, is it not possible one dies peacefully at least we've heard of people dying while waiting at the bus stops, people tripping over objects and then dying etc

Lastly, there is no gathering that doesn't have internal wranglings. The fact that Jakande is still alive shows God is on his side. Even the other afenifere members have since passed on and Jakande's legacies still supercedes all the other governors who have ruled after him.

Awo still remains the best president Nigeria never had. No amount of negative propaganda can tarnish his name
While u may be right about ibb taking no prisoners u forgot that
1.vatsa's coup plot was very real but was nipped in the bud quickly due to a mole and after seeing what rawlings did in ghana and pressure from middle belt officers still angry at vatsa,there was no way ibb could let him live
2.Awo was a civilian with limited ammunition to overthrow ibb so ibb was diplomatic with him to avoid causing an uproar and gave him those options
3.jakande like mudashiru lawal betrayed the ppl who wanted to overthrow ibb,his being alive is irrelevant
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by aycorporat(m): 10:10pm On May 09, 2019
LZAA:

While u may be right about ibb taking no prisoners u forgot that
1.vatsa's coup plot was very real but was nipped in the bud quickly due to a mole and after seeing what rawlings did in ghana and pressure from middle belt officers still angry at vatsa,there was no way ibb could let him live
2.Awo was a civilian with limited ammunition to overthrow ibb so ibb was diplomatic with him to avoid causing an uproar and gave him those options
3.jakande like mudashiru lawal betrayed the ppl who wanted to overthrow ibb,his being alive is irrelevant
Thanks so much for the update. However sir, is it the same Group Captain Gbolahan Mudashiru that you are talking about? Was he in the know about Vatsa's coup?
Besides I thought Awo only died of natural causes attributed to old age. Come to think of it do you believe Awo could stage a coup with a sitting government, military for that matter.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by LZAA: 10:22pm On May 09, 2019
aycorporat:

Thanks so much for the update. However sir, is it the same Group Captain Gbolahan Mudashiru that you are talking about? Was he in the know about Vatsa's coup?
Besides I thought Awo only died of natural causes attributed to old age. Come to think of it do you believe Awo could stage a coup with a sitting government, military for that matter.
Yeah it's mudashiru sorry for the mix up
Not the vatsa coup but the orkar coup
Nyiam tailed him and discovered he exposed the plot
Awo had already done it before and if ibb arrested him june 12 riots would have been child's play compared to the aftermath
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by vheckthor1: 10:32pm On May 09, 2019
Guys am thinking of something today, what if we the youth of Nigeria have a massive peaceful protest on October 1, we can use the time between now and October 1 to create awareness. We need to speakout massively, let this spoilers know that we have a voice. If we can unite we will be free, I believe if we put behind our differences and ethical/religious bigotry that decides us and we unite with one voice to protest against the insanity in our country that could be a starting step to the walk of making Nigeria great.
I so much love this country and Her present condition breaks my heart. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by aycorporat(m): 10:40pm On May 09, 2019
LZAA:

Yeah it's mudashiru sorry for the mix up
Not the vatsa coup but the orkar coup
Nyiam tailed him and discovered he exposed the plot
Awo had already done it before and if ibb arrested him june 12 riots would have been child's play compared to the aftermath
Hmmmm now you are almost convincing me. Why didn't Colonel Tony Nyiam mention that at the military tribunal that Gbolahan Mudashiru was in the know.
Concerning arresting Awo, you threw me off balance with that logic of June 12. Hmmmm. Sincerely sir I still need a first hand withness to prove that he committed suicide
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by duncun: 10:42pm On May 09, 2019
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by LZAA: 11:14pm On May 09, 2019
aycorporat:

Hmmmm now you are almost convincing me. Why didn't Colonel Tony Nyiam mention that at the military tribunal that Gbolahan Mudashiru was in the know.
Concerning arresting Awo, you threw me off balance with that logic of June 12. Hmmmm. Sincerely sir I still need a first hand withness to prove that he committed suicide
Nyiam and mukoro escaped when the coup failed so they were never tried
On awo if babaginda had tried awo again for mutiny in LAGOS the state would have revolted and ibb was smart
He did not need that heat on him
As per awo's suicide well adebayo confirmed it
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by aycorporat(m): 11:20pm On May 09, 2019
LZAA:

Nyiam and mukoro escaped when the coup failed so they were never tried
On awo if babaginda had tried awo again for mutiny in LAGOS the state would have revolted and ibb was smart
He did not need that heat on him
As per awo's suicide well adebayo confirmed it
Yeah I remember now that they escaped. Even Capt Tolofari that even wrote a book on that.

Do you mean to say the same General Adeyinka Adebayo said it? Thanks for your time

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by LZAA: 11:24pm On May 09, 2019
aycorporat:

Yeah I remember now that they escaped. Even Capt Tolofari that even wrote a book on that.

Do you mean to say the same General Adeyinka Adebayo said it? Thanks for your time
Yup boss
Twas Adebayo
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by bolakale30(m): 11:18am On May 10, 2019
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by bolakale30(m): 11:19am On May 10, 2019
aycorporat:

This is how mature people exchange opinions; the kind of exchange you find on Quora not the hate filled propagandist nonsense that have become synonymous with Nairaland, You guys are great.
Awolow without a doubt was a great statesman for the Yoruba people. His legacies are there for all to see. But for all his greatness, he was a populist who openly declared that he is first and foremost, a Yoruba man before he is a Nigerian. Such worldview has never bode well for national cohesion, especially, for a man who nursed the ambition of the ultimate seat of power. In the same vein, I can't wrap my head around his decision to join Gowon's cabinet. I would have expected that a man of his status and calibre stayed out of the fracas, knowing fully well how the Igbos have been treated before and after the counter-coup of 1966. His refusal would have instigated a Yoruba neutrality; effectively denying that war any legitimacy. It would have been seen for what it was; a genocidal war waged on the East by the North. The fate of this country would have turned out differently.
Loyalty on the other hand is a two-way street. The Igbo-led NC NC failed to support him to form the government during the first republic, rather to pitch their tent with the Northern Oligarchs led NPC.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by aycorporat(m): 12:55pm On May 10, 2019
bolakale30:

This is how mature people exchange opinions; the kind of exchange you find on Quora not the hate filled propagandist nonsense that have become synonymous with Nairaland, You guys are great.
Awolow without a doubt was a great statesman for the Yoruba people. His legacies are there for all to see. But for all his greatness, he was a populist who openly declared that he is first and foremost, a Yoruba man before he is a Nigerian. Such worldview has never bode well for national cohesion, especially, for a man who nursed the ambition of the ultimate seat of power. In the same vein, I can't wrap my head around his decision to join Gowon's cabinet. I would have expected that a man of his status and calibre stayed out of the fracas, knowing fully well how the Igbos have been treated before and after the counter-coup of 1966. His refusal would have instigated a Yoruba neutrality; effectively denying that war any legitimacy. It would have been seen for what it was; a genocidal war waged on the East by the North. The fate of this country would have turned out differently.
Loyalty on the other hand is a two-way street. The Igbo-led NC NC failed to support him to form the government during the first republic, rather to pitch their tent with the Northern Oligarchs led NPC.
Let me sincerely thank you for the compliment. I just wish we had more interesting topics to speak on instead of Tonto Dike and check out the backside of these ladies
I think Awolowo joined Gowon in appreciation for his release and don't forget he was imprisoned by the NPC government who had an alliance with the NCNC. That's my own opinion though there may be other reasons for this.
Thanks for your time
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by bolakale30(m): 1:55pm On May 10, 2019
aycorporat:

Let me sincerely thank you for the compliment. I just wish we had more interesting topics to speak on instead of Tonto Dike and check out the backside of these ladies
I think Awolowo joined Gowon in appreciation for his release and don't forget he was imprisoned by the NPC government who had an alliance with the NCNC. That's my own opinion though there may be other reasons for this.
Thanks for your time
Solid point. And I honestly agree but I think if he had refused, the war could have been prevented. His activities during the war and after the war leave a bad taste in the mouth too.i mean the blockade and economic policies that were armed at "killing" the 'rebels'
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by T9ksy(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2019
aycorporat:

Thanks for your time

From the account of the man's (Awo) life, you would have sussed out that he's the kind of man to entertain such sentiment.

Yeah, agreed Awo might have been grateful to Gowon for his release (after the ibos joined the govt of the day to imprison him on trumped-up charges) but he would not have taken the job if he had any iota of doubt concerning his capability.

For your information, the country- a new one at that- prosecuted that 30 months war without borrowing a penny from anyone. War is an expensive business. This i believe is the reason why he took the post considering the fact that the federal govt (the northern oligarchy) will be fighting the war with our collective wealth.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by T9ksy(m): 2:38pm On May 10, 2019
bolakale30:

Solid point. And I honestly agree but I think if he had refused, the war could have been prevented. His activities during the war and after the war leave a bad taste in the mouth too.i mean the blockade and economic policies that were armed at "killing" the 'rebels'

Awo did refused to get involved in the war between two erstwhile political bedmates and he was unambiguous in his communication to Ojukwu during their meeting in enugu about it and also in his speech to the yoruba leaders of thought.

After his meeting with Ojukwu, the latter on being interview the following day by foreign journalists claimed the sage was talking platitudes simply because Awo felt there should be another solution to the impasse we found ourselves in apart from outright war. The Ikemba however, was hell-bent on going to war.

Total blockade was what brought the gratuitous war to an end within 6 months else it would have persisted for many more years with the attendant loss of more lives on both sides of the divide. Awo's agenda certainly wasn't to kill the rebels but to bring the d.u.mb war to a quick end.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by bolakale30(m): 2:45pm On May 10, 2019
T9ksy:

Awo did refused to get involved in the war between two erstwhile political bedmates and he was unambiguous in his communication to Ojukwu during their meeting in enugu about it and also in his speech to the yoruba leaders of thought.

After his meeting with Ojukwu, the latter on being interview the following day by foreign journalists claimed the sage was talking platitudes simply because Awo felt there should be another solution to the impasse we found ourselves in apart from outright war. The Ikemba however, was hell-bent on going to war.

Total blockade was what brought the gratuitous war to an end within 6 months else it would have persisted for many more years with the attendant loss of more lives on both sides of the divide. Awo's agenda certainly wasn't to kill the rebels but to bring the d.u.mb war to a quick end.
His agenda could be argued both ways. He killed women and children with that policy, I doubt if his motive was as altruistic as you claim. Ojukwu was a bit of a political upstart, however, I doubt if I wont do the same thing if I were in his shoes. I mean the pogrom that preceded that war was purely genocidal! The Federal Government did the sum total of zero to stem it. The Igbos could have done the same to the Northerns but they didn't. Baba Awo saw all these and still pitch his tent with Gowon, nah, Baba Bleep*d up. I believe his neutrality might have forced Gowon's hand to execute the Aburi accord. Awolowo gave that war a national outlook especially to foreign observers.
Thanks for your submissions sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by AlhajaChinyere: 2:48pm On May 10, 2019
LZAA:
He is also the lifetime ambassador for ratak and paved the way for mko to suffer his own betrayal
Afonja amaka grin grin
Cc immhotep sarrki Adaibeku Alhajachinyere

Igbos must leave Lagos by fire by force, werey dem.......

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 10, 2019
AlhajaChinyere:

Igbos must leave Lagos by fire by force, werey dem.......
One Nigeria please grin

Cc Lzaa adaibeku

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by LZAA: 2:58pm On May 10, 2019
immhotep:

One Nigeria please grin

Cc Lzaa adaibeku
One indivisible nigger area grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by T9ksy(m): 3:00pm On May 10, 2019
bolakale30:

His agenda could be argued both ways. He killed women and children with that policy, I doubt if his motive was as altruistic as you claim. Ojukwu was a bit of a political upstart, however, I doubt if I wont do the same thing if I were in his shoes. I mean the pogrom that preceded that war was purely genocidal! The Federal Government did the sum total of zero to stem it. The Igbos could have done the same to the Northerns but they didn't. Baba Awo saw all these and still pitch his tent with Gowon, nah, Baba Bleep*d up. I believe his neutrality might have forced Gowon's hand to execute the Aburi accord. Awolowo gave that war a national outlook especially to foreign observers.
Thanks for your submissions sir.

Whilst everyone attribute the policy to Awo, has it ever occurred to you guys that if Gowon who was the commander -in-chief at the time and his fellow aggrieved northern coup plotters did not sanction it then it wouldn't have been implemented by the federal govt?

Ojukwu IMO, contributed immensely to the lives of those killed by the war if he had thrown in the towel earlier on in the affray instead of exploiting the plight of the same people he was supposed to be fighting for, to garner sympathy and hopefully arms and ammunition to prolong the war.

The pogrom was in the north and the northern govt of Gowon could do nada to stop it. That has sweet F.A to do with Awo and his yoruba people.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion about Awo phocking up but i beg to disagree with you. Awo had no choice but to be neutral and he gave his plausible reason to Ojukwu at their meeting in enugu. Yet, that didn't stop Ojukwu from dropping bombs in lagos and killing innocent yoruba folks.

To surmise, Ojukwu it was who gave the war a national outlook by invading neutral regions and attempting to impose his will on the people who had nothing to do with the pogrom that wasted many ibo lives.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by aycorporat(m): 4:09pm On May 10, 2019
bolakale30:

Regarding the blockade, sincerely when I read General Alabi Isama's book titled TRAGEDY OF VICTORY, AN ON THE SPOT ACCOUNT OF THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR,. I had a change of heart. There was an agreement that if the Caritas Red Cross Society was to bring in food and relief supplies, it Should pass through the Nigerian corridor for proper inspection.
However, a Red Cross Society plane was shot down and when it was checked by the federal forces, it was a load of arms and ammunitions albeit with drugs and supplies. That puts to rest the Biafran propaganda that food was blocked.
Chief Awolowo addressed the issue of the twenty pounds policy if I get the accurate statement, I'll post it here.
However, war is not a pleasant experience anyone would want to encounter.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by shegra58: 5:46am On May 31, 2019
gidgiddy:

He started a war? How does an unarmed man.like Kanu start a war? Is it his shoe he will use to start it? Nigerian.Soldiers just went to kill an unarmed Kanu and Kanu wasn't going to let that happen

It is better that Ojukwu first fought for the freedom of his people before running away. Not like you Nigerians that have accepted slavery without a fight since the days Lugard named you people after a common River

By the way, Nelson Mandela ran away from South Africa and stayed in Nigeria for a while during the South African struggle
You have been brainwashed

Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by Favor99(m): 5:58am On May 31, 2019
Why did he commit suicide for?
Anyway I admire and respect this man for his great contributions to Nigeria
May Obafemi Awolowo be forever honored and cherished
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by BuhariAdvocate: 6:01am On May 31, 2019
Who tell you he committed suicide.
Favor99:
Why did he commit suicide for?
Anyway I admire and respect this man for his great contributions to Nigeria
May Obafemi Awolowo be forever honored and cherished
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by Favor99(m): 6:03am On May 31, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Who tell you he committed suicide.
That’s what I keep hearing on nairaland
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by BuhariAdvocate: 6:13am On May 31, 2019
That's Igbos version don't mind them. Obafemi was released in prison during gowon administration.
Favor99:

That’s what I keep hearing on nairaland
Re: Obafemi Awolowo: 31 Years After His Death by Favor99(m): 6:16am On May 31, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
That's Igbos version don't mind them. Obafemi was released in prison during gowon administration.
Oh ok cool

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osun APC Guber Primary Lacks Credibility – Aregbesola’s Faction / Wike: My Grouse With Saraki, Tambuwal, Other Northern PDP Presidential Aspirants / Peter Obi Congratulates Israel Adesanya For His Victory Over Alex Pereira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.