Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him (75935 Views)

Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by maestroferddi: 5:54pm On May 08, 2019
StOla:
Why do people fail to learn that literature is not about Prose alone.

The 3 genres of literature are Prose(Novel), Drama(Play), and Poetry.

While Soyinka ticks the box in all, Achebe ticks only the Prose box.

While Soyinka is an acclaimed Playwright and Poet, Achebe is an acclaimed Novelist.

Soyinka won the Nobel for the dual reason of Drama and Poetry, and this much reason was stated in his award justification, as the reason for all other awardees are stated.

So why are people comparing an apple to an orange when the award for best fruit was given to an orange on the basis that for that years consideration, the sweetest orange was the decider?
All these turanci you are writing here do not add up.

Don't tell me you are this naive or uncircumspect....

Achebe never had the Nobel for Literature conferred on him for one main reason: His acclaimed stance against the white establishment in their attempt to depict black Africa as an inferior race. He was renowned for challenging long-held views that African literature is not pristine and that African writers had little literary merit.

Achebe dared the supremacists. He hinted severally that he didn't need the prize to underline his standing as one of the best men of letters of all time.

In. terms of depth, technical and cultural significance, reach and universality, Soyinka knows there was no time he could have held a candle to Achebe.

Where are Soyinka's Things Fall Apart, No Longer At Ease and Arrows of God?

How many Nigerians have heard of Jero Plays, Kongi Harvest and The King's Horseman (hope I got that title correctly)?

Achebe is undisputably one of the greatest literary minds ever to come out of Africa.

You don't have your magnus opus translated to over five dozen languages for nothing....resa ipso loquitor...

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 5:57pm On May 08, 2019
wirinet:

All these people must be Afonjas then that nominated a 55 page book for Nobel Price;

1. Members of the Swedish Academy and of other
academies, institutions and societies which are
similar to it in construction and purpose;

2. Professors of literature and of linguistics at
universities and university colleges;

3. Previous Nobel Laureates in Literature;

4. Presidents of those societies of authors that are
representative of the literary production in their
respective countries.
- https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/literature/

I still say it, you guys have chronic psychological issues, that is connected to the fear, envy and jealousy of Afonjas. You can go a single day, sorry a single hour without thinking of Afonjas.

This is not fear of Afonja

A typical Eboe man is envious by nature. Quote me anywhere. He is envious of his father ,mother, brother ,sister .... everyone. That is his nature .#

Once you understand that you have understood the Eboe man.

He will try and dress it up as competitiveness but the reality is he hates to see anyone but himself personally succeed. It is only

when that cannot happen that he will accept it for another Eboe First

The moment someone achieves any little glory his instinct is to compare himself sometimes even offering an explanation why it wasn't him.

It is really bizarre but true.

The level of envy is simply unmatched

The truth is Achebe was a novelist his only distinction being that he was FIRST or one of the first to publish out of Africa. He did not win the Nobel Prize and was NEVER nominated for it. He simply was NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Now Eboes see rivalry where there is none. If the Yoruba have one we must too. Literature is not p0rnography. It it was about popularity maybe Jackie Collins or Harry Potter author would have won a Nobel Prize. How many Eboe men are know as Playwrights

There are several other Nigerian writers way better than Achebe but everyone is polite because he was the first and opened the way for others. He certainly is not in the league of Ben Okri who is more accomplished

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by fyneguy: 6:09pm On May 08, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.

Let us just say his language was too elevated for you to comprehend.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by nwadiuko1(m): 6:12pm On May 08, 2019
LuciferKoran:

You read neither Achebe nor Soyinka's works in that Islamic bomb-making facility you called a school back then so how could you possibly compare?

Leave it for educated southerners to decide.

Thanks.

*spits angry
chai

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by nwadiuko1(m): 6:14pm On May 08, 2019
rusher14:

When you need money...holler.
grin
leave that guy gimme money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by ThothHermes: 6:39pm On May 08, 2019
rusher14:

When you need money...holler.

grin

I don't know why Reno would bring up an issue that has been settled for over 30 years.
The man just likes to stir up strife.

This is me hollering on that guy's behalf.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Westbestside: 6:44pm On May 08, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.
So a well respected man should be trading word with a nonentity. If the Nobel Laurette is paining una head, why not help the dead man drag those that gave the award to ICC. That is what you guys are known for.

20 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Westbestside: 6:52pm On May 08, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare
And when did he disturb a hater like you. Did he force word out of the mouth of the childish idiotic fool like Reno or whatever.

16 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Westbestside: 6:56pm On May 08, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Sincerely speaking, soyinka didn't write anything.

All his 55 pages book is nothing but trash.
Drag the organiser to ICC and present the one anyone in your family writes. When a nonentity speaks.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 08, 2019
Westbestside:
Drag the organiser to ICC and present the one anyone in your family writes. When a nonentity speaks.

Next
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by LazyGold(m): 7:21pm On May 08, 2019
maestroferddi:

Achebe was never had the Nobel for Literature conferred on him for one main reason: His acclaimed stance against the white establishment in their attempt to depict black Africa as an inferior race. He was renowned for challenging long-held views that African literature is not pristine and that African writers had little literary merit.

Achebe dared the supremacists. He hinted severally that he didn't need the prize to underline his standing as one of the best men of letters of all time.

In. terms of depth, technical and cultural significance, reach and universality, Soyinka knows there was no time he could have held a candle to Achebe.

How many Nigerians have heard of Jero Plays, Kongi Harvest and The King's Horseman (hope I got that title correctly)?

Achebe is undisputably one of the greatest literary minds ever to come out of Africa.

You have don't have your magnus opus translated to over five dozen languages for nothing....resa ipso loquitor...

If it was about popularity, then the writer of Game of Thrones book "George R. R. Martin" should have win a Nobel Laurette by now

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Martinez39(m): 7:25pm On May 08, 2019
maestroferddi:

Achebe was never had the Nobel for Literature conferred on him for one main reason: His acclaimed stance against the white establishment in their attempt to depict black Africa as an inferior race. He was renowned for challenging long-held views that African literature is not pristine and that African writers had little literary merit.

You have don't have your magnus opus translated to over five dozen languages for nothing....resa ipso loquitor...
Achebe is the Einstein of African literature while Soyinka is the Paul Dirac of African literature. Achebe's works are popular and he is more famous by a miles. Personally, I am not that familiar with Soyinka's works. The few I have read are not as interesting as Achebe's novels.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by 9jaBloke: 7:26pm On May 08, 2019
I just died.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Alamoo: 8:28pm On May 08, 2019
Soyinka has been able to live up to expectations after winning the Nobel prize. The man is probably the greatest literati of our time. Read the response again and tell me if the man's literary ingenuity is in doubt

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Alamoo: 8:33pm On May 08, 2019
That Reno idiot does not even deserve a response from the great man. Nobody in his lineage can ever rise that high

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Goke7: 8:36pm On May 08, 2019
aribisala0:

This is not fear of Afonja

A typical Eboe man is envious by nature. Quote me anywhere. He is envious of his father ,mother, brother ,sister .... everyone. That is his nature .#

Once you understand that you have understood the Eboe man.

He will try and dress it up as competitiveness but the reality is he hates to see anyone but himself personally succeed. It is only

when that cannot happen that he will accept it for another Eboe First

The moment someone achieves any little glory his instinct is to compare himself sometimes even offering an explanation why it wasn't him.

It is really bizarre but true.

The level of envy is simply unmatched

The truth is Achebe was a novelist his only distinction being that he was FIRST or one of the first to publish out of Africa. He did not win the Nobel Prize and was NEVER nominated for it. He simply was NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Now Eboes see rivalry where there is none. If the Yoruba have one we must too. Literature is not p0rnography. It it was about popularity maybe Jackie Collins or Harry Potter author would have won a Nobel Prize. How many Eboe men are know as Playwrights

There are several other Nigerian writers way better than Achebe but everyone is polite because he was the first and opened the way for others. He certainly is not in the league of Ben Okri who is more accomplished

You've said it all, it's all jealousy!

15 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Goke7: 8:46pm On May 08, 2019
maestroferddi:

Silly excuses, it's like saying Femi kuti that was nominated for the Grammy failed to win because of his stance against the white man bias against black African music.

Just a word for you guys, contentment. Be content with what you have and how God has made you guys. Identity crisis is the greatest problem the igbos have and folks like reno will continue to feed on you guys discontentment about how God has made you, to rule and manoeuvre you guys politically. What a pity.

Soyinka is not you guys' problem but yourselves for lack of contentment. Only the igbos discredit Soyinka which has no impact on his world acclaimed fame for contributions to literature

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Goke7: 8:48pm On May 08, 2019
Martinez39:
Achebe is the Einstein of African literature while Soyinka is the Paul Dirac of African literature. Achebe's works are popular and he is more famous by a miles. Personally, I am not that familiar with Soyinka's works. The few I have read are not as interesting as Achebe's novels.

even Soyinka is not familiar or have any clue about you

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Martinez39(m): 8:52pm On May 08, 2019
Goke7:

even Soyinka is not familiar or have any clue about you
Okay.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 9:05pm On May 08, 2019
Martinez39:
Jackie Collins is even more popular but no where as popular as the author of Harry Potter Series

SO CLEARLY

The Nobel Prize is NOT a popularity contest. It is an award by academics to their peers. A scholastic award which us mere mortals do not often understand. How many times is it that many people hear the name of a Nobel prize author the first when he wins the prize but would have heard of Jackie Collins, Jeffery Archer, Robert Ludlum and So om?

Wole Soyinka gained acclaim as a Playwright and Essayist not a novelist though he wrote novels too.
Wole Soyinka is a thinker not a writer of literary popcorn. The Man died was not written for enjoyment or entertainment . It is a serious work requiring the reader to exert themselves.

It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about if you need to compare Soyinka and Achebe.

They did not operate in the same Arena.
Wole Soyinka was more involved with THEATRE.
He wrote plays. He directed them and acted in them He was involved with a theatre company and I believe put up a performance on Independence day 1960.

So I do not see how their paths cross for any comparison.

Soyinka covered the entire spectrum of Literature.
Poetry, Novel, and Theatre written and practice.

The truth is that Achebe wrote novels and some poetry which was mostly pedestrian and populist stuff and not particularly like to impress his academic peers.
As far as novels go I think Ben Okri is way better

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by farem: 9:36pm On May 08, 2019
SLAP44:

Hehn? You are right!

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Xzellentgraphic: 9:37pm On May 08, 2019
aribisala0:
Jackie Collins is even more popular but no where as popular as the author of Harry Potter Series

SO CLEARLY

The Nobel Prize is NOT a popularity contest. It is an award by academics to their peers. A scholastic award which us mere mortals do not often understand. How many times is it that many people hear the name of a Nobel prize author the first when he wins the prize but would have heard of Jackie Collins, Jeffery Archer, Robert Ludlum and So om?

Wole Soyinka gained acclaim as a Playwright and Essayist not a novelist though he wrote novels too.
Wole Soyinka is a thinker not a writer of literary popcorn. The Man died was not written for enjoyment or entertainment . It is a serious work requiring the reader to exert themselves.

It is clear you have no idea what you are talking about if you need to compare Soyinka and Achebe.

He wrote plays. He directed them and acted in them He was involved with a theatre company and I believe put up a performance on Independence day 1960.

The truth is that Achebe wrote novels and some poetry which was mostly pedestrian and populist stuff and not particularly like to impress his academic peers.
You are on point after ..reading the "the man died" wole.
My love for him swell...he's a genius

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by wirinet(m): 9:43pm On May 08, 2019
aribisala0:

SO CLEARLY

That's my annoyance with reno and his supporters, they argue on issues they have no idea about, forming experts. A person is nominated by academic professors and his peers from around the world , and people who had never published a poem before are questioning their judgements. That's what I call arrogance in ignorance.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by MrPresident1: 9:44pm On May 08, 2019
aribisala0:

SO CLEARLY

Soyinka was already running mad in Gowon's gulag when he wrote that-the man died book. That book is a mess!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by oyoirabor: 9:47pm On May 08, 2019
Goke7:
some fellas are just educated illiterates e.g. Reno.

Soyinka has paid his dues, not many including those who are always using their ethnic bigotry to cast aspersions knew the efforts Prof Soyinka made to persuade the Govt back in the 60s to avert the bloody civil war.

It's high time folks are properly educated from the history books to give credit rightly where it belongs and stop exposing their high level of illiteracy, the fact that Soyinka never supported your favourite politician does not reduce or diminish his hard earned credentials and precious contributions to the project called' Nigeria'. Nigeria would have been a better place if we had more like him.

More like him ....? With his support in bringing stark illiterate to power?

Hiss....!!!! Overrated....
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Guestlander: 9:47pm On May 08, 2019
SLAP44:

He is absolutely not on the same level as the likes of Omokriminal. The Nobel committee is not swayed by petty sentiments. They award it to the very best.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by LordIsaac(m): 9:50pm On May 08, 2019
wirinet:

Sincerely speaking, you must think yourself more learned and intelligent than the Nobel Committee for Literature who picked Wole Soyinka over thousands of others.

Nigerians have this overbloated ego and false sense of importance. Small time you will say Einstein is trash and knows nothing in physics.
The problem is tribal bigotry....nothing more. If Wole
were of the other side, chest beating would have been the story everyday.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Goke7: 9:50pm On May 08, 2019
oyoirabor:

More like him ....? With his support in bringing stark illiterate to power?

Hiss....!!!! Overrated....

I know this is your pain and that of your ilk but it has nothing to do with his literary credentials, okay? Now get a life bruv!

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Rochasstatue(f): 9:52pm On May 08, 2019
Reno Oh Mockery also known as Reno Omokriminal is not worthy of a response.

He was surprised Konga won the Nobel price...
Interesting.
He ought to be surprised a serpent and first grade buffoon like Jonathan became President.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Krak(m): 10:01pm On May 08, 2019
SLAP44:

Soyinka is simply saying Reno is crying more than the bereaved. Achebe himself did not complain when he was alive, so he deserves to continue resting in peace.

24 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by ogawisdom(m): 10:02pm On May 08, 2019
I am with Reno on this one

I don't know how that shallow cultist won Nobel prize ahead of his master in the game Achebe angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by 1stNumeroUno: 10:18pm On May 08, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare

...and no words for the noise-maker Reno?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

PEMISIRE: ....a man's destiny / Mending Fences (romance) / Kukere Sisters: Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.