Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,873 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

#may 8, 2009 - The Day Ado Varsity Forces Stood In One Voice - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / #may 8, 2009 - The Day Ado Varsity Forces Stood In One Voice (787 Views)

Poor Power Supply Forces UNILAG Medical Students To Sleep Outside (photos) / Unilag Convocation Now May 8 – 11 / Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#may 8, 2009 - The Day Ado Varsity Forces Stood In One Voice by praisecity(m): 7:18am On May 10, 2019
Today - 10years ago, remains an unforgettable day in the annals of history of Campus riot and counterterrorism in Nigeria, particularly to all graduates of the then University of Ado-Ekiti, who would never forget what happened in a hurry.

This day 10yrs ago, I was preparing for my first Semester Exam 100l and surely my first paper as an undergraduate which should hold the following Monday.

The day was a Friday. As freshers, we woke up all prepared putting final touches here and there, as many can be seen in faculty offices to collect their Exam permits. Simply, we were all looking out for our first contacts with CHM 101, MAT 101 et al, only to start hearing news that some students were beaten beyond description a night before, by some militarized student corps known as Student Cadet group.

Before then, the activities of campus cadets was already going out of hand.

On one of my first days in the students hostel, I watched with dismay how some students who do dress in military-like camo green uniform will punish students for fighting and make them go through what I couldn't imagine. I asked so many questions then like, "who empowered these students to be treating fellow students like this?" But, I got few unsatisfying answers.

Before then, there had been series of students - Cadet clashes in time past and an Alhaja cadet was killed in the revolt.

History repeats itself on May 8 - but unlike what had happened in the past, it became a day when the end was put to the incessant maltreatments of Co-students by Cadet corps.

By 2pm, on my return from school Friday jumat service, reports had filled the air, that one of the students beaten in the morning had passed on. I saw some groups of students looking terrified chanting Aluta songs. Like a newbie, I moved closer to one and inquired about the latest development. "Alaye, school ti daru" - (That's what I was told) If you see any student cadet, Na suya ooo".

I ran as far as my leg could carry me to the Cadet Basement on Campus.

From afar, I could see smokes. I was expecting the worst. Students have taken charge of the campus. The Cadet base has been grounded.

Their leaders have been ran after.
Their hostels and properties were burnt.

The revolts didn't spare the Academic staffs. The V.C - Prof, Dipo Kolawole was reportedly whisked away through the campus second gate, as he narrowly escaped being lynched.

Profs were not spared, many left with cars battered, cars wind screens shattered. We heard they never took any serious action in spite of complaints in the past.

The Student Union President, who was just elected few months ago - the indefatigable Sola Fayemi Apesinola a.k.a Senator was no where to be found. We heard he was not at peace with the students action when he was informed.

But, the "outgone" SUG President, who had come for his clearance Comrade Dejavu Jogunomi Oso Adedeji did the needful by standing on a platform vomiting those big Unionist grammar. "We shall put an end to this malady today", "An Injury to one is an Injury to all", etc. Lol

And right there, students became more charged and the rest became history..

Songs like Gbogbo yin le lówó nbe, gbogbo won na lówó nbe, bi UNADi se da yii, gbogbo won na lówó nbe. Segun Oni lówó nbe, Orubuloye lówó nbe, Dipo Kolawole lówó nbe, Cadet members lówó nbe, bi UNAD se da yii. Gbogbo won na lówó nbe.

And this would follow by "Of the greatest GBA GBA, Articulate Gbogbo, of the greatest shiwon, nawon, shiwon lere".

And another person will sing songs to tell you that you are not doing wrongly by joining campus Aluta by singing that "Atigba talaye tii daye, ko s'omo struggle to soriburuku". Lol

And in about 40mins of students operation, academic activities have been halted, lecturers have been sent out of the campus. Timidity and shivering (Iberu bojo) had taken over some students, who are visibly seen scampering around.

The State government in less than an hour had announced on State radio station and Adaba F.M, that the campus have been closed down and students were given 2hrs to vacate the university premises.

Before we could say hey, Armored tanks and heavy military lorries who are still around from Ekiti Elections days, had stationed themselves around the campus particularly the main entrance with sirens and public speakers shouting that students should leave the campus immediately.

Students were seen everywhere, trekking with loads on their heads, as they trekked along long Ado-Iworoko road, with many Ladies crying profusely. Movements of vehicles and commuters towards Ado- Ifaki road had equally been restricted.

I got to Ife around 9pm that day, as I equally trekked miles to Ado town to join a vehicle going to Ilesha.

The news of what happened had reached home before me. Newspapers had been filled with University of Ado-Ekiti as headlines.

We didn't resume to the campus until months later, and we paid severely for our actions, after a panel set up to look at properties destroyed levied every student with #5000 each as reparation fee. We heard the university made lots of millions and bulk of it was embezzled by management, even when properties destroyed remain there for several months after all students have paid. Lol!

And Every other things remained history till today. Cadets activities remained checked and normalcy returned.

May 8, 2009 remained - the day of mother of all Alutas, all through my stay in Ekiti, even though lots of similar students revolts had taken place like when the then Chief of Defense Staff, Oluseyi Petinrin came for a public lecture along with Ekiti state Gov then, Engr Segun Oni, when students melted them with stones for coming to talk about Education after jacking up tuition fee to a ridiculous sum of 250k. Soldiers dealt with lots of students that day and I nearly lost my eyes to tear gas. Lol

10yrs down the lane today, I heard the school is now filled with small small pikin, who barely know their rights as students. Awon omo mummy.

History would never die!

God bless Ondo State University/University of Ado-Ekiti (UNAD - UNI HARD), now Ekiti State University - Truly Small but Mighty.

Lateef Eluyemi Writes
Bsc. BioChemistry (Ado-Ekiti)
2008 - 2012

Re: #may 8, 2009 - The Day Ado Varsity Forces Stood In One Voice by praisecity(m): 7:19am On May 10, 2019
Aluta still continue

(1) (Reply)

Veterinary Medicine, Anatomy Or Physiology? / 2019/2020 Ahmadu Bell University Zaria Post Utme/screening Exercise / FACT CHECK: Has Seyi Makinde Reduced LAUTECH Tuition Fee? No

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.