Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,913 members, 7,799,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? (76796 Views)

Which Country Can I Move To Legally With ₦10M? / After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Unlimited22: 11:29pm On May 13, 2019
AnthonyAk:

OP what did you study?
Very important question.
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 13, 2019
medicine and STEM gives you better job opportunity in the western world

6 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Chriswazo(m): 11:29pm On May 13, 2019
Kasali226:
Please Come back home. . A lot of works are here in Nigeria waiting for you ..no place like home so come back

How many u don work?

27 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 13, 2019
Uhmmmm..,...no force for marriage if you don't want her come out and say rather than marry and divorce

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Okuda(m): 11:31pm On May 13, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

do you speak deutsch? i highly doubt that.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by nairalanduseles: 11:31pm On May 13, 2019
Baba come Australia....i have been to the uk its dead ....come to Australia NSW u will thank me

27 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by freg2000: 11:32pm On May 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

Stay in Germany, till You can sort a better country... Australia, Canada even Uk if you can get a job.., little money you get from menial jobs you get could be channeled into trying other countries skilled migration programs.

That extreme urge you have about Coming to Nigeria, is the work of demons, should you come back without the support of your Family, chaiiiiii you would regret regreting it
Demon bawo, u go give d guy BP quick

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by queengift(f): 11:33pm On May 13, 2019
Babyvet:

He is talking the truth, many Nigerians are running to abroad and doing menial jobs because of desperation.

There is always a starting point, I guess before you got your nursing job in the US, you once did menial job.
It is that menial job that gave him the money he intends to start business with.

Menial workers here in Nigeria are suffering, can't even feed.

15 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by okeynelson: 11:33pm On May 13, 2019
bros abeg 9ja should not even be an option from d beginning.... u better stay dia ooo....or look for another country.... but Nigeria should not be an option for you...for now.....except maybe ur village are the ones working on your behalf....⛄⛄⛄⛄�

22 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 13, 2019
ShyWhale:

I didn't say no job. I said lack of getting professional jobs.

Some people, Yes maybe, especially if you studied IT. A very large majority is trapped in menial jobs, not even full-time ones, the ones you get with unskilled employment agencies. Even with PhDs and all that. I wouldn't call that a great life. But to some people, it is. You have to understand perspectives.

I have a female Nigerian here who is employed with an agency and goes to clean people's home. She is quite happy and considers it a great opportunity considering that sometimes she joins the family on dinner outings and get gifts. It's great for her but not for me. I wouldn even accept something like that as I think It's no less than being a maid

Will you be able to survive in Germany, Yes. If you're someone with a big dream, I'll say difficult.

In Germany: Germans> EU nationals>US>Eastern Europe >Asians>Indians/Paki etc >Africans. That's the order of getting professional jobs.

i love that you are ambitious...many Africans especially Nigerians even with their thousands of degree are always satisfied doing menial jobs abroad..according to them it is good. i dont know why they think it is good but that is the lowest self esteem and slavery mentality very common among Nigerians...truth be said, if you wanna be recognised for your work, move back to Nigeria but also remember that you will also have to work hard like anybody in nigeria to have a good life.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by iammo(m): 11:35pm On May 13, 2019
freg2000:

Demon bawo, u go give d guy BP quick

Ahh!! His family go abuse am, his Gf, his pastors even village people.. the moment his Account goes red

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 13, 2019
They say the dog about to die won't here the master whistle

You'll meet your end soon when you return back to Nigeria either by the hands of sars or the evil economy

23 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Kasali226(m): 11:36pm On May 13, 2019
Chriswazo:

How many u don work?

Kill me grin grin grin
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by jahbiz: 11:37pm On May 13, 2019
ojun50:
Why nt try UK may be for a year befor taking yr finally decision,

even buhari thy fine has he go relocate out 9ja oh
grin grin grin
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by queengift(f): 11:37pm On May 13, 2019
lilwetdick:

i love that you are ambitious...many Africans especially Nigerians even with their thousands of degree are always satisfied doing menial jobs abroad..according to them it is good. i dont know why they think it is good but that is the lowest self esteem and slavery mentality very common among Nigerians...truth be said, if you wanna be recognised for your work, move back to Nigeria but also remember that you will also have to work hard like anybody in nigeria to have a good life.

Where are the jobs in Nigeria, a graduate earns 20k as private school teacher here, how will the person live a normal life, it's difficult here except for the rich and those with connections

26 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 13, 2019
Go to the UK and get that citizenship first. Nigeria is only worth risking if you have plan b. You also have a better chance of securing a job in the UK.
Unless you have investments in Nigeria and a plan.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by apokan200(m): 11:38pm On May 13, 2019
Pls don’t come back naija no matter what bro,you gonna make it there big with time just be patience

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by lereinter(m): 11:38pm On May 13, 2019
Op link me with menial job in Germany

Your options are cumbersome, pray to make good choice

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Suspect33(m): 11:38pm On May 13, 2019
lilwetdick:
medicine and STEM gives you better job opportunity in the western world
with a degree in business, can one do masters in a computer related course

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by mymadam(m): 11:38pm On May 13, 2019
What did you study? The answer is the key to open doors for you. I've been there wink

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Snow02: 11:39pm On May 13, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

move to togo

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by NinjaMetahuman: 11:39pm On May 13, 2019
move to nigeria but make sure you have plan B incase things didnt work out.

people are making it big in nigeria if you know what you are doing.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by karika2018: 11:39pm On May 13, 2019
Before you decide to come to nigeria.......

save at list 2million naira in the bank.......it would help atleast a little

try looking for jobs in the middle east........

but here are the best countries in my opinion as someone who have travelled and also live abroad

united states.......this is the best country in the world

australia

canada

bahamas

trinidad and tobago

do not marry that lady....

good luck

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by abnot: 11:40pm On May 13, 2019
justwise:

Honestly i don't think you have the right mindset regarding this, there are Nigerians doing well in many professional jobs.
I must appreciate the poster's sincerity as opposed to how majority of Nigerians resident in first world nations present the west. I don't think the poster has the wrong mindset. He is at a stage in life where tough decisions need to be made and he is trying to be careful. It is only on nairaland that I consistently hear/read of Nigerians doing well in the west. Majority of Africans are struggling in the west. I also struggled during my college days in east coast USA despite getting a generous allowance from home. Nigerians are also struggling back home in Nigeria. In UK where I lived for 2 years + the story is the same. I don't know much about the poster's academic and social background but I'll suggest he reflects on his strengths and weaknesses in both spheres and make a decision based on that. The west can be attractive when young and at your prime but as you age your priorities and interests get to change and some begin to miss the African life.

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 13, 2019
Which kind confusion be this?
sad
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Pidginwhisper: 11:40pm On May 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

Stay in Germany, till You can sort a better country... Australia, Canada even Uk if you can get a job.., little money you get from menial jobs you get could be channeled into trying other countries skilled migration programs.

That extreme urge you have about Coming to Nigeria, is the work of demons, should you come back without the support of your Family, chaiiiiii you would regret regreting it

[img]http://2.bp..com/-p9whylrqliM/Ud3R74x6NnI/AAAAAAAAN0A/nhChnQ6LnCw/s1600/adam-levine.gif[/img]

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Lankyscot(m): 11:41pm On May 13, 2019
Bro, you had better stay put in the Germany you are, there is nothing here ooo don't be deceived!

ShyWhale:

What do you advice?

6 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by SIRTee15: 11:41pm On May 13, 2019
ShyWhale:

This life ehn. We've got Nigerian students from Canada come to Germany because of lack of skilled opportunities. They say there is discrimination on lack of Canadian degrees and Canadian experience. Also, honest reviews from Quora don't help. It seems many skilled migrants in Canada are also trapped in these same unskilled jobs.

I would have gone to Canada long ago if not for that. I felt the money to be wasted on the processing of the Canadian PR to go get unskilled jobs could be better channelled to my business projects in Nigeria.

Look here guy...
U need to face the reality....
The only country that owes u a professional career you dream of is your native country- Nigeria...
Expecting to stroll into another man's territory n get to choose among the best is illusion...
They also have their own citizens to make happy....

As a foreigner, the deal is to start from the base/middle of the ladder and work your way up, with hard work, being smart n dose of good luck...
That was how our parents did it in the 80s n 90s...
If u feel u not cut out for that kind of life, then come back to naija n see how things work out for u....
The quorans statement on Canada is annoying....
Like seriously, u resigned your bank job in nigeria n expect once u arrive in Canada, u will be offered a branch managers job....
Just like that....
I'm sure Canada never promised anyone a professional job...
What they promised is improved quality of life n solid future for your kids....
So many misconception about abroad of recent....

103 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by tizzdi(m): 11:42pm On May 13, 2019
angry I didn’t even read what u wrote sef..only.d topic is enough to get me angry

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Chuknovski(m): 11:42pm On May 13, 2019
ShyWhale:
My reservations about moving to the UK

- I hate being at the mercy of others. Going to the UK on a spousal permit means losing my German residency and I'll be at her mercy. As should anything go wrong with the relationship , I'll have to leave the UK.

- Getting a professional job. It doesn't make sense to go to the UK and continue to be trapped in menial jobs. I have been there and I hardly see Nigerians in professional jobs except those with rich parents. Someone should advice me on that as it could not be a real reflection.

My Reservations about Nigeria

- High rate of startup failure
- Difficulty in getting loans to expand. I have heard they can ask for even your neck in those times. With a lack of collateral, more difficult.

my Advice,go spiritual ask God for divine guidance he's the master of the universe, have you considered the Orients ? China or Japan precisely

15 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories / Traveling To AUSTRIA – My Experience On A Virgin Passport! / Nigerians Who Absconded After Traveling To Russia For World Cup, Cry Out. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.