Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,518 members, 7,801,388 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates (3095 Views)

List Of Oba (king) In Kwara States And Their Yoruba Groups / Top Most Common 100 Ebira Words And Their Meanings In English Language / Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 3:40am On May 14, 2019
I am listing words in Yoruba lexicon which were not borrowed or donated but coincide in spelling, meaning and sense with words in English language. This is just an opening, I have many words to add to the list as time progresses. Feel free to add if you know some. Olu would love this exercise. grin grin

Sese - Cheese
See reason for modification in following posts below.

Ori - Ore (natural deposits extracted for commercial profit, like iron ore. There are also non-metallic ores)
Note - If mineral extract comes from plants Yoruba call it "ori". If extracted from animal Yoruba call it "ora"; and from fruits Yoruba call it "oro".

Iduro - Endure

Ehin - Behind

Parada - Paradox

Bode - Border

Ibudo - Abode

Agogo - Gong

Agboniregun - Aborigene
Note- Egungun in Yoruba, is the orisha or deity of the ancestor, is cognate with gene, an English word for ancestry.

Oregun - Origin

Okun - Ocean

Osun - Rose
Note - Yoruba's Osun (Camwood) is noted to have the same alchemy properties as high altitude roses. They have same color too. This is different from the Rose specie grown at sea level or low altitude.

Irin - Iron

Tere - Terre
Note - Tere in Yoruba, to spread or sprawl on ground.

Ife - Life

Foriji - Forgive
Note - Foriji in other Yoruba dialects could be written as Dariji

Imole - Illum

Bowo - Bow (Bow to greet or pay respect)

Akoko - Clock
Note - Akuko was the timekeeper in the era of our ancestors. English called it C0ck, as in C0ck Crow.

Akuko - C0ck

Mundia - Maiden

Akoro - Coronet

Esin - Sin
Note - We worship (Esin) as a ritual to cast away Sin.

Karawun - Crown

Bante - Pant

Ike - Care

Pa - Part

Awo - Law
Note - The practice of Law used to be exclusive and practitioners went through initiation rites to belong in Lodges and Inns to learn ethos and philosophies of man and society.

Ise - Use

Sifila - Civil
Note - As a sign of respect Yoruba men of old, on coming in contact or vicinity with another man of repute (by age, status or title), will remove their head covering (fila) as a courtesy to, and acknowledgement of, the individual. Thi is an old practice that we no longer observe. In Western world it is still common to see men attend civilly to one another by taking off hat....or merely touching the tip symbollically.

Ipo - Posit

Ake - Axe

Oro - Word

Sare - Race

Tobi - Robe

.....To be continued

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by linsa01(m): 5:22am On May 14, 2019
Yan - Yawn
Amuniti - Immunity

3 Likes

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by OJODEL10(m): 10:26am On May 14, 2019
true talk
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 11:07am On May 15, 2019
linsa,
Put this "amunity" into use in Yoruba or put a Note underneath and clarify the connection. Thanks wink
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 4:02pm On May 15, 2019
@ MetaPhysical, I love this touch you introduced because you are hitting it exactly where civiization all begun. Though I see one or two contentious words but I give it you.And pointing at the direction who Yoruba ancestors were. The Chosen ones( eni ayan) were and are the identity or the name God gave unto the Yoruba ancestors who developed the universe with their ritual language. Anyway, I don't blame some quarters who thought,some people moved out of Ife without them being an Ifa initiates grin. Ife oodaye/owodaiye remain Yoruba's.

God bless you Sir grin

Olu
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 10:45pm On May 15, 2019
Olu317:

@ MetaPhysical, I love this touch you introduced because you are hitting it exactly where civiization all begun. Though I see one or two contentious words but I give it you.And pointing at the direction who Yoruba ancestors were. The Chosen ones( eni ayan) were and are the identity or the name God gave unto the Yoruba ancestors who developed the universe with their ritual language. Anyway, I don't blame some quarters who thought,some people moved out of Ife without them being an Ifa initiates grin. Ife oodaye/owodaiye remain Yoruba's.

God bless you Sir grin

Olu

Thank you my brother. The list is vast, i found there are even cognates in french and spanish. I left those out.

Which ones are contentious? If you have a better fit please share lets review and update.
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 6:29pm On May 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Thank you my brother. The list is vast, i found there are even cognates in french and spanish. I left those out.

Which ones are contentious? If you have a better fit please share lets review and update.

These ones:

Ìdùrò and endure?

Ìfẹ́ and life ?

Agboniregun and aborigine?

Oregun and origin?

My opinion on few ones

1.*Orisun(orígùn) and origin*
ọ̀rẹ́gùn and origin?
ọ̀rẹ́-gùn is the spot the ọ̀rẹ́ diety dwells(stagnated spot), while origin is ìpílẹ̀sẹ́,ìbẹ́rẹ ,àsẹsẹ́-ìwà,ìpọnrí, ìṢẹ̀dálẹ̀,òrísún

2. béré and bend

3. gangan and gong

4.ìfẹ́ and vast?

Cheers
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by scholes0(m): 8:02pm On May 16, 2019
Nice collection, although Cheese in Yoruba is Warakasi or Warankasi
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 8:18pm On May 16, 2019
scholes0:
Nice collection, although Cheese in Yoruba is Warakasi or Warankasi

Thanks. Consider this..."kaka k'eku ma je sese, a fi se awa danu".

Cheese can come from animal fat, turned to butter. It can come from groundnut before it is processed into butter. Wara is only specific to the cheese obtained from dairy or milk.
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by scholes0(m): 8:43pm On May 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Thanks. Consider this..."kaka k'eku ma je sese, a fi se awa danu".

Cheese can come from animal fat, turned to butter. It can come from groundnut before it is processed into butter. Wara is only specific to the cheese obtained from dairy or milk.

'Sese' in the context of your proverb is a form of Black eyed peas. There is Ewa and then there is Sese.. the one you cook for hours and hours on end, I don't know if you know that other one. I prefer the taste to that of Ewa.

Cheese can't come from animal fat, what you will get in that instance is butter. Cheese is from mostly animal milk protein.
Wara is not Cheese, Wara is the yoruba word for Milk. It is Warankasi that is Cheese. smiley
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 8:57pm On May 16, 2019
Olu317:

These ones:

Ìdùrò and endure?

Iduro carries a sense that can have applications in different scenarios calling for the attribute.

Iduro ti eni - acting as pillar of support

Iduro Omoluwabi - to exercise restraint or show forthrightness.

Iduro is different from Inaro (stand erect)

Ìfẹ́ and life ?

It follows similar explanation as above. The phenome and its distribution wherever applicable to give meaning.

Eve, Life, Love, are all consistent and draw from Eve as root.

According to tradition, God created Adam, but produced Eve. Eve in turn became reproductive source of mankind.

I attach Eve with Ife, the source of mankind.

Agboniregun and aborigine?

Oregun and origin?

My opinion on few ones

1.*Orisun(orígùn) and origin*
ọ̀rẹ́gùn and origin?
ọ̀rẹ́-gùn is the spot the ọ̀rẹ́ diety dwells(stagnated spot), while origin is ìpílẹ́sẹ́,ìbẹ́rẹ́,àsẹ́sẹ́-ìwà,ìpọ̀rí, ìṢẹ́dálẹ́,òrísún

The Yoruba "gun" is connected with source or a chain link to the beginning, the pioneer! The prefixes are qualifiers.

Oregun
Iregun
Orogun

In the case of Agboniregun and Aborigene, and other instances of "gun" all symbolize pioneering.

2. béré and bend

3. gangan and gong

4.ìfẹ́ and vast?

Cheers

I thought you will use "loso" for Bend.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 8:58pm On May 16, 2019
scholes0:

'Sese' in the context of your proverb is a form of Black eyed peas. There is Ewa and then there is Sese.. the one you cook for hours and hours on end, I don't know if you know that other one. I prefer the taste to that of Ewa.

Cheese can't come from animal fat, what you will get in that instance is butter. Cheese is from mostly animal milk protein.
Wara is not Cheese, Wara is the yoruba word for Milk. It is Warankasi that is Cheese. smiley

I see! Thanks for update bro.

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 6:22pm On May 17, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Iduro carries a sense that can have applications in different scenarios calling for the attribute.

Iduro ti eni - acting as pillar of support

Iduro Omoluwabi - to exercise restraint or show forthrightness.

Iduro is different from Inaro (stand erect)

It follows similar explanation as above. The phenome and its distribution wherever applicable to give meaning.

Eve, Life, Love, are all consistent and draw from Eve as root.

According to tradition, God created Adam, but produced Eve. Eve in turn became reproductive source of mankind.

I attach Eve with Ife, the source of mankind.

The Yoruba "gun" is connected with source or a chain link to the beginning, the pioneer! The prefixes are qualifiers.

Oregun
Iregun
Orogun

In the case of Agboniregun and Aborigene, and other instances of "gun" all symbolize pioneering.

I thought you will use "loso" for Bend.

Thanks.

Quite an explanation that I tend to disagree and agree with some of your perspective. The below views of yours do fit in one or the other even if the Yoruba lexical units are unique with it glory.

1.Oregun: Where friendship dwell; invariably connected to an ancestors place of establishment via relocation. So also applicable to the below places mentioned by you:

Iregun
Orogun

My disagreement: I posit as follows:

1. Truthfully and explanatorily ,‘Iduro' carries a lot of definition as enshrined in your view,even more but differs from ‘endure', because, having these two as cognate is false cognate, being the fact that both have different meaning.Plainly,‘endure', is basically, a word which tends to be applicable to surviving attributes of animate or inanimate over a period of time.

2. ‘Eve' was not the root word of the Early Hebrew language but developed from verb חיה (haya), to be alive. The adjective חי (hay), meaning living and also from the verb חוה (hawa), to lay out in order to attain live collectively. Interestingly the actual cognate is from Yoruba's, ‘Àyè-Àyà-Àwà-Wà (life-exist-hale and healthy)' before Persian-Greek-Latin-Roman-English etc grapple with the word. So,these word that emanated from ancient yoruba ancestors can be cognates in this meaning.

Furthermore, the Yoruba's word such as fé -ìfé is distinct from Eve,because ìfé as a myth ,either true or false didnt acknowledged reproductively of new offsprings as through the land's expansion.But through the Complexity of Orunmiela,which is devoid of political ideology,which mentioned odudua and obatala other creation myth. Infact the chain of creation is representative of Ogun, the five toed chicken Osun, and the palm kernels, Orunmila. These Orisas, in combination represent unity and a balance of forces,which can be found in Odu Ifa Osa Ogunda;........
My point here is that Eve-life and life don't match. Perhaps: lìfẹ́ (nîfẹ́) and love

Lastly ,the choice word lòṣò doesn't fit from my perspective as archaic Yoruba's, ‘ bā'–tẹ̀ríbā–‘bẹ́rẹ́' ( bend,bow,go down on ones knee etc)because, Oyo Yoruba did a lot of the facelift of the development to Yoruba language. The Yoruba word for bend (bẹ́rẹ́) wasn't a word but phrase in its fullness. This is because the word developed from bẹ́rẹ́ kí orokún(ẹkún )bā sì ìlẹ –bẹ́rẹ́ kí orokún(ẹkún)wà nì ìlẹ̀. This was the purpose of their interpretation. Kindly note that through ontinuum of yoruba language's contraption,this word became diminutive. It obvious, that from this phrase,you probably understand my choice for this word.

Cheers

Elú

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 2:54pm On May 20, 2019
Básá-Bazaar

Bọ̀-Boil

ẹ́rán-ram

ẹ́yín- eye

Ìho-hole

ọti/tíì-tea

wọ́-wore(simple past of wear)

Yán-Yawn

Cheers

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by lx3as(m): 4:05pm On May 23, 2019
Me - Mi
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by lx3as(m): 4:06pm On May 23, 2019
Me - Mi
Dirty - Doti or Dotin

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by sherlock229(m): 11:40am On Oct 29, 2021
More.
Awa = ours and us
Mi=mẹ
Iwo =you
Idoti = dirty

None of these are borrowed, they're just coincidence

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by macof(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2021
sherlock229:
More.
Awa = ours and us
Mi=mẹ
Iwo =you
Idoti = dirty

Right
Keyword “coincidence”
Therefore not cognates

Cognates are words that share a common etymon…not coincidences

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Inspirelove: 3:58am On Oct 30, 2021
arungun===ruin

iko-===cough

sin===snize

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
sherlock229:
More.
Awa = ours and us
Mi=mẹ
Iwo =you
Idoti = dirty

Really ? grin cheesy wink
Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 9:27pm On Oct 31, 2021
Inspirelove:
arungun===ruin

iko-===cough

sin===snize
run-ruin
Ajan-genie/jann
Akúkọ-cock
bọ̀wọ-bow
ajiga-digger

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by MetaPhysical: 5:56pm On May 24, 2022
Olu317:

Quite an explanation that I tend to disagree and agree with some of your perspective. The below views of yours do fit in one or the other even if the Yoruba lexical units are unique with it glory.

1.Oregun: Where friendship dwell; invariably connected to an ancestors place of establishment via relocation. So also applicable to the below places mentioned by you:

Iregun
Orogun

My disagreement: I posit as follows:

1. Truthfully and explanatorily ,‘Iduro' carries a lot of definition as enshrined in your view,even more but differs from ‘endure', because, having these two as cognate is false cognate, being the fact that both have different meaning.Plainly,‘endure', is basically, a word which tends to be applicable to surviving attributes of animate or inanimate over a period of time.

2. ‘Eve' was not the root word of the Early Hebrew language but developed from verb חיה (haya), to be alive. The adjective חי (hay), meaning living and also from the verb חוה (hawa), to lay out in order to attain live collectively. Interestingly the actual cognate is from Yoruba's, ‘Àyè-Àyà-Àwà-Wà (life-exist-hale and healthy)' before Persian-Greek-Latin-Roman-English etc grapple with the word. So,these word that emanated from ancient yoruba ancestors can be cognates in this meaning.

Furthermore, the Yoruba's word such as fé -ìfé is distinct from Eve,because ìfé as a myth ,either true or false didnt acknowledged reproductively of new offsprings as through the land's expansion.But through the Complexity of Orunmiela,which is devoid of political ideology,which mentioned odudua and obatala other creation myth. Infact the chain of creation is representative of Ogun, the five toed chicken Osun, and the palm kernels, Orunmila. These Orisas, in combination represent unity and a balance of forces,which can be found in Odu Ifa Osa Ogunda;........
My point here is that Eve-life and life don't match. Perhaps: lìfẹ́ (nîfẹ́) and love

Lastly ,the choice word lòṣò doesn't fit from my perspective as archaic Yoruba's, ‘ bā'–tẹ̀ríbā–‘bẹ́rẹ́' ( bend,bow,go down on ones knee etc)because, Oyo Yoruba did a lot of the facelift of the development to Yoruba language. The Yoruba word for bend (bẹ́rẹ́) wasn't a word but phrase in its fullness. This is because the word developed from bẹ́rẹ́ kí orokún(ẹkún )bā sì ìlẹ –bẹ́rẹ́ kí orokún(ẹkún)wà nì ìlẹ̀. This was the purpose of their interpretation. Kindly note that through ontinuum of yoruba language's contraption,this word became diminutive. It obvious, that from this phrase,you probably understand my choice for this word.

Cheers

ẹ̀lù

Long time brother!

Politics has consumed me lately. In addition, my lengthy absence can be explained on ban imposed by irresponsible, bigotted mods who take pleasure in stifling voice of free expression. The mod know himself, hope he can read me. grin

Bro, I go respond on this later but think about the following in background of your rebuttal on "endure".

Cheers!

Iduro - Endure
Iforiti - Fortitude

1 Like

Re: A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates by Olu317(m): 7:48am On May 25, 2022
MetaPhysical:

Long time brother!

Politics has consumed me lately. In addition, my lengthy absence can be explained on ban imposed by irresponsible, bigotted mods who take pleasure in stifling voice of free expression. The mod know himself, hope he can read me. grin

Bro, I go respond on this later but think about the following in background of your rebuttal on "endure".

Cheers!

Iduro - Endure
Iforiti - Fortitude
Indeed Baba mi. It is quite a while. Politicians are wonderful be it the good side or their bad side. I hope you are on the good side.

Hebrew-On/One= own, to possess, to have, viralit

Yoruba-oni=to have, owns, possess

English-Own =possess, to have

A kú ijọ́ mẹta

(1) (Reply)

Is Ibo Food Better Or More In Variety Than Calabar/akwa Ibom Food? / Awkuzu / Top 10 Most Feared Traditional Rulers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.