Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,516 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:02 PM

My Journey To Programming - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Journey To Programming (6818 Views)

CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python / Please Help Advice For New Comers To Programming / Are You New To Programming? Want To Learn But Do Not Know How? Come In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 8:28pm On May 25, 2019
stanliwise:
I fear your teacher nailed it here.
thank you
Re: My Journey To Programming by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 25, 2019
stanliwise:
get lost already
_Cunt
Re: My Journey To Programming by stanliwise(m): 7:09am On May 26, 2019
modestbrowser:

_Cunt
anyway I don't mean to disrespect op by starting a fight here but I am not against what you said actually, you're right with what you're saying but what you quoted, if you look closely, the dud was only trying to being sarcastic with the OP, off course wat he created was very basic, yet that doesn't mean you turn op against his teacher. Hope I am communicating?

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by MICHV1: 11:13am On May 27, 2019
Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 6:42pm On May 27, 2019
Today wasn't good at all. I missed another class because of work. ...and I didn't call my instructor to reschedule it because I didn't want my cousin to miss the class. However, I had to rush to my cousin's house to see what they did. I may sneak into class tomorrow to see my instructor. With the way things are going, at the end of this web design class, I will need to take some break to properly prepare and reschedule myself very well for the programming class...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Programming by stanliwise(m): 10:04pm On May 27, 2019
iHart:
Today wasn't good at all. I missed another class because of work. ...and I didn't call my instructor to reschedule it because I didn't want my cousin to miss the class. However, I had to rush to my cousin's house to see what they did. I may sneak into class tomorrow to see my instructor. With the way things are going, at the end of this web design class, I will need to take some break to properly prepare and reschedule myself very well for the programming class...
This work and programming training sef.
I know for certain that one will someday have to give way for another, either you choose one or you loose interest in one automatically.
Re: My Journey To Programming by EvilSec: 11:52pm On May 27, 2019
stanliwise:
anyway I don't mean to disrespect op by starting a fight here but I am not against what you said actually, you're right with what you're saying but what you quoted, if you look closely, the dud was only trying to being sarcastic with the OP, off course wat he created was very basic, yet that doesn't mean you turn op against his teacher. Hope I am communicating?
I swear that dude is gonna give everybody in this thread cancer!!! I lose brain cells reading his crap.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 12:11am On May 28, 2019
stanliwise:
This work and programming training sef.
I know for certain that one will someday have to give way for another, either you choose one or you loose interest in one automatically.

The thing is giving me serious concern. I can't even practice for two hours daily as advised by my instructor. Anyway, I will keep pushing...
Re: My Journey To Programming by asalimpo(m): 12:43am On May 28, 2019
You'll hav to prepare yourself for lifelong learning in this field. So,if you always need an instructor to put u str8,it will b hard/impossible to keep up.

Why r u switchng fields to web d? Y not stay nd build ur career in d present field? Is it the money? While d earnings mayb attractive remmber ,it's very labour intensive which is ironic since automation is supposed to reduce labour costs, but,in i.t each advancemnt simply give more crude tools for building d next pyramid.
The amount of code you'll have to write is always gonna be substantial.
Re: My Journey To Programming by EvilSec: 12:56am On May 28, 2019
asalimpo:
You'll hav to prepare yourself for lifelong learning in this field. So,if you always need an instructor to put u str8,it will b hard/impossible to keep up.

Why r u switchng fields to web d? Y not stay nd build ur career in d present field? Is it the money? While d earnings mayb attractive remmber ,it's very labour intensive which is ironic since automation is supposed to reduce labour costs, but,in i.t each advancemnt simply give more crude tools for building d next pyramid.
The point he's making is, don't get into programming if you plan on half-assing your job. When you do that it means people like me have to get called in to fix your bad code. Don't just become a programmer because you want a six figure salary or higher. Do it because you are passionate about technology. There's nothing worse than performing a job that you hate, even if the money is good.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 1:55am On May 28, 2019
asalimpo:

I am not switching field. I am not motivated by the pay I will get from jobs I will do. I am motivated by the solutions I want to create.

Here are some reasons I am going for programming. I want to run a PhD program, and I have a research interest. For some years I have been in the lab running some research protocols. If I take what I know and conduct a research here, I will most likely round up my PhD in less than 2 years and maybe wait for the 3rd year to pick my cert. Our library is filled with plenty research work that have not added anything new to knowledge. People are repeating what have been done and then spice it a little to bag a PhD. No, i don't want such. I have dropped two PhD admission because i am yet to figure out something that is innovative yet cheaper to do as a research work. I can't imagine spending 400k to 600k or even 1million to do a research that the report will be collecting dust in the library. My MSc research taught me a lesson. I really spent money to do the work but of a truth, what I did has no real life application. So why waste the money and time? So in this research interest I have, I want to develop a system that can make it automated. If this works, of which I believe it will work, we can then use it in the industry to monitor and predict some industrial processes. Though there are sophisticated procedures used in the industry, my idea is getting an alternative that uses simple and very basic chemistry to operate. I intend to build the system using arduino boards of which some knowledge about programming is needed. So if the research interest don't have a real life application, let the automated system be a contribution to knowledge. That's one.

Why I was working with some Profs. in school, I discovered that immediately after Buhari assumed office, most university academic staff start having serious issues about processes certain things that will help promote them in their field. I keep asking myself, Why not create a platform for them that makes it easy?

Another reason why I am enthusiastic about programming is that, while I travel around for business, I discovered that there is a trend in business which is cumbersome yet people can't help but do business like that. The believe is the traditional way business must be done but I beg to disagree. So I ask, Why not build a firm and create a platform that change the way people do this business transactions?

And many more...

You may ask, why not contract people to develop these system and platform? Well, one is funding, two is hijacking the idea, three is avoiding the "Covenant University" type of scam, four is getting people who can see what you are seeing and do exactly what you want them to do.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Journey To Programming by asalimpo(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2019
@iHart
quite revealing. I misassumed your motives. I thought you were tryna earn a meal ticket and were most likely yet to b university educated. I didnt know i was talking to a phd candidate. Respect. sir!

Arduino can b programmed with python,i think. But i think c can also b used. Not too sure. But generally for all things embedded, you've got to hav C or c++ under your belt. Eventually, C,must b summoned and mayb assembly.

With your seemingly technical bckground,i think you should b able to pickup programming. Though it is still a challenging field to get proficient in. Syntax is a breeze for many but developing an eye for design, that's d ish. In my opinion,it takes as much time to develop this skill as it'd take a person to complete a 1st degree programme. The deception is usually in thinking tht working code is professional level code.

On d slack factor of nigerian phd people,it's a pity. I thought some more rigorous systems were in place to ensure high quality output. I encountered d same during my bsc project. Most students were lazy nd either outrightly fronted some elses project as their own or did same with little variation. The corruption is everywhere.

Goodluck on your strtup aspirations.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 11:59am On May 28, 2019
@asalimpo

Yes, you are right. My findings show that what I may most likely need for Arduino is C or C++. But of all the programming language I have tried to enquire about, python tops the list for the scientists. My findings also show that it is easier to learn and code python when compared to other languages. So I thought I should go for it, while I think less about learning and coding the language, I will devote more time about the solution I want to create with it.

I don't mind how long it takes me, I just want to create solution, build and do something different. My fear is people doing it before me.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by Daejoyoung: 3:30pm On May 28, 2019
iHart:
@asalimpo

Yes, you are right. My findings show that what I may most likely need for Arduino is C or C++. But of all the programming language I have tried to enquire about, python tops the list for the scientists. My findings also show that it is easier to learn and code python when compared to other languages. So I thought I should go for it, while I think less about learning and coding the language, I will devote more time about the solution I want to create with it.

I don't mind how long it takes me, I just want to create solution, build and do something different. My fear is people doing it before me.
For Python with Adruino, check out Rasberry Pi library in Python. Also C++ is inevitable for this, but then C++ and python are the major languages you need in this area.
There is a misconception about Python being simple, Python's ease does not make it less powerful, some programs in python can be more difficult than equivalent java programs, for example Python's object oriented programming is not usually that easy to grasp compared to that of java or c++, also python is definitely powerful enough for what you need, but you also need c++. Python may be slower than c++ and dynamically typed, but it's much more high level and allows you prototype faster.
From my findings, C++ and Python are the two major languages for Robotics nowadays, so you are definitely on the right path with python.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 5:58pm On May 28, 2019
Daejoyoung:

For Python with Adruino, check out Rasberry Pi library in Python. Also C++ is inevitable for this, but then C++ and python are the major languages you need in this area.
There is a misconception about Python being simple, Python's ease does not make it less powerful, some programs in python can be more difficult than equivalent java programs, for example Python's object oriented programming is not usually that easy to grasp compared to that of java or c++, also python is definitely powerful enough for what you need, but you also need c++. Python may be slower than c++ and dynamically typed, but it's much more high level and allows you prototype faster.
From my findings, C++ and Python are the two major languages for Robotics nowadays, so you are definitely on the right path with python.
Thank you very much.
Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 8:24pm On May 29, 2019
...today was cool. We had our class as usually but it was 1 hour late. We continued on CSS and I also learnt how to create other pages of a website apart from the index. This is cool.

My cousin is sick and didn't attend class. He will has a class tomorrow to cover for today's class. Our instructor is really nice with schedule. Hopefully by Friday we will have a combined class as usual.

I have an assignment to create a website with two side bars. Let me see what I can achieve...

Good night.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 4:51pm On Jun 11, 2019
Hello dairy, its been a while I came to visit you. It has not been easy for me. My schedules have been getting tight every new day. But the good news is that I will some be back to always have a chat with you. I took a weeks break to attend to some pressing issues. My instructor is OK with that. So, hopefully by next week I will be back to the class. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by All4real2: 10:39pm On Jun 11, 2019
iHart:
Thank you very much.
Re: My Journey To Programming by afuye(m): 4:24am On Jun 12, 2019
Weldone, being a while I heard from u
iHart:
Hello dairy, its been a while I came to visit you. It has not been easy for me. My schedules have been getting tight every new day. But the good news is that I will some be back to always have a chat with you. I took a weeks break to attend to some pressing issues. My instructor is OK with that. So, hopefully by next week I will be back to the class. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 3:20pm On Jun 17, 2019
Greetings Dairy,

its been a while. So today I resumed class. Oh, my cousin has gone far. He is dine with HTML, CSS, and Flex. ...and he has started bootstrap. I am really far behind. I will catch up anyway.

So today, we are trying to revise all we have done so far in HTML and CSS. Seems we will start flex today.

Thank you dairy.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2019
afuye:
Weldone, being a while I heard from u
Greetings bros. Yes, its been a while. I am still interested in that stuff. I am a bit busy now. But it seems I will come down myself. I have a business deal that will bring to Benin. From there I can easily come down. It should be sometime next week. I will keep you posted.
Re: My Journey To Programming by afuye(m): 5:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
no probs sir thanks
iHart:
Greetings bros. Yes, its been a while. I am still interested in that stuff. I am a bit busy now. But it seems I will come down myself. I have a business deal that will bring to Benin. From there I can easily come down. It should be sometime next week. I will keep you posted.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by Phelumie300: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
Op you didn't finish your story.. How are you now, what field are you currently working on now
Re: My Journey To Programming by FarmTech(m): 10:40pm On Dec 11, 2020
Op, I hope u haven't given up.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by AregbeFufu: 1:12pm On Dec 12, 2020
FarmTech:
Op, I hope u haven't given up.
Op has abandoned his programming dream and ventured into soap business.
That is how Nigeria destroys dreams.

3 Likes

Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 1:53pm On Dec 12, 2020
AregbeFufu:

Op has abandoned his programming dream and ventured into soap business.
That is how Nigeria destroys dreams.
hahaha, i didn't abandon the dream and go into soap making. I was into soap making before i ventured into this programming thing. Nigeria didn't destroy my dream. Truth is that i am into so many things and programming needed much of time which i couldn't give. However be the case, i have not abandoned this dream.
Re: My Journey To Programming by AregbeFufu: 4:46pm On Dec 12, 2020
iHart:
hahaha, i didn't abandon the dream and go into soap making. I was into soap making before i ventured into this programming thing. Nigeria didn't destroy my dream. Truth is that i am into so many things and programming needed much of time which i couldn't give. However be the case, i have not abandoned this dream.
True, programming is a full-time job.
I wonder how some people manage to combine it with their jobs, especially if the job has nothing to do with programming.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by louken(m): 2:07pm On Oct 03, 2023
iHart:
Interesting. So how did your cousin fare? How far has he gone in the programming journey?
Re: My Journey To Programming by iHart(m): 6:50pm On Oct 03, 2023
louken:

Interesting. So how did your cousin fare? How far has he gone in the programming journey?
He picked up very well. Shortly after he picked up some other online training and later left the the country.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Programming by louken(m): 12:15am On Oct 04, 2023
iHart:
He picked up very well. Shortly after he picked up some other online training and later left the the country.
Wow! Was he able to get job in IT there, or did he veer into another field?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Start A Career In Software Development / Pls Help With Python Problem / Criticism Of Object Oriented Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.