Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial (1399 Views)

2024 Ramadan Fasting Begins Monday – Sultan / How To Prepare For An Amazing Ramadan Fasting / Caution Muslims! The Prayers Are Meant To Be Observed Within Its Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 8:03pm On May 14, 2019
Some muslims often use health benefits to justify the logic behind Ramadan fasting, I think this is not true. The fundamental, origin, primary purpose of fasting is base on spirituality and purity. It is well known that ancient religions, cults, beliefs practice self-suffering to please their God/s or deities which fasting is part of it. Muhammad came and adopt this practice.

Fasting in Islam was never meant for health benefits, it's today Muslims that started justifying fasting to be health beneficial as part of an apology regarding the archaic practice, no one knew fasting is health beneficial in the 7th century.

Fasting has it benefits and as well it's harmful especially dry fasting which can be harmful to the health if one is not careful.

I would like to hear from Muslims in the house regarding this.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by iamgenius(m): 11:02pm On May 14, 2019
You're not even sure using "I think... "
You're here to tell us it has no health benefits, OK we don hear you. It's for SPIRITUALITY and Purity. Sé ótitán?

3 Likes

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 5:32am On May 15, 2019
iamgenius:
You're not even sure using "I think... "
You're here to tell us it has no health benefits, OK we don hear you. It's for SPIRITUALITY and Purity. Sé ótitán?
I used "I think" because I might be wrong in this subject and to present my post in a polite, less forceful or direct, but from what I've read so far Ramadan fasting was never meant to be health beneficial.

Read the the OP again, I never said fasting has no health benefits, did you read my post at all?

2 Likes

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by usermane(m): 7:01am On May 15, 2019
Of course, no where in the Muslim texts does it claim to be health beneficial.

Remember that pregnant women are exempted from fasting. It shouldn't be the case if fasting is so healthy. It has deleterious effect on the body, explaining why it is not mandatory for the travellers.

Keep in mind that in certain parts of the world they fast for nearly the whole day. And you cannot break your fast out of hunger or thirst, it is an unatonable sin.

It seem self discipline and appreciation of food is the purpose of fasting. Ironically, food consumption and wastage rises in Ramadan in the Muslim world.

2 Likes

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:01am On May 15, 2019
https://www.nairaland.com/5152930/significance-fasting

The Significance of Fasting

usermane:

Keep in mind that in certain parts of the world they fast for nearly the whole day. And you cannot break your fast out of hunger or thirst, it is an unatonable sin.
Is there an unatonable sin in Islam when the sinner is still living?

usermane:
It seem self discipline and appreciation of food is the purpose of fasting. Ironically, food consumption and wastage rises in Ramadan in the Muslim world.

This is a mistake. The major purpose of fasting is for Muslims to become more righteous (having increased Taqwa).

That the Muslim world wastes food doesn't hold water. Islam preaches against extravagance & wastage.

3 Likes

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 9:36am On May 15, 2019
usermane:
Of course, no where in the Muslim texts does it claim to be health beneficial.

Remember that pregnant women are exempted from fasting. It shouldn't be the case if fasting is so healthy. It has deleterious effect on the body, explaining why it is not mandatory for the travellers.

Good.

I want to ask, is fasting a reasonable thing?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 9:37am On May 15, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

This is a mistake. The major purpose of fasting is for Muslims to become more righteous (having increased Taqwa).

That the Muslim world wastes food doesn't hold water. Islam preaches against extravagance & wastage.
@bolded, is this effective?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Empiree: 10:27am On May 15, 2019
tintingz:
Good.

I knew from the outstart this is what you wanted to arrive at. That's why I ignored your thread yesterday. Your intention is very bad, Mr. divergent undecided

Fasting in Ramadan is act of worship and it's primary purpose is taqwa. All other benefits and advantages fall under taqwa like health or medical benefits.

For instance, it is general norm to empty your stomach at least 12hrs before doctor's visit. This is to allow doctor to measure accurate blood and urine counts (CBC) to evaluate your overall health.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by usermane(m): 11:45am On May 15, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

But according to Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud's reports, if you willfully break a fast, no amount of fasting can atone for it. See hadith here;
https://sunnah.com/abudawud/14/84
https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/8/42

I just found out Al-Albani and Darussalam graded them weak. But not all Muslims accept Darrusalam or Al-Albani's grading of hadith. Some Muslims still believe in these hadith.

My mistake is not acknowledging that modern scholars opin atonement is possible on basis of other hadith that demand fasting for two months, or feeding 60 poor people or freeing a slave. In all these, from the above hadith, not all Muslims agreed fasting for 60 days suffice to atone for breaking fast.

Is there any ritual in Islam not serving to boost righteousness? Aside spirituality, the only other purpose of fasting that is conceivable, I 've mentioned.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2019
Empiree:
I knew from the outstart this is what you wanted to arrive at. That's why I ignored your thread yesterday. Your intention is very bad, Mr. divergent undecided

Fasting in Ramadan is act of worship and it's primary purpose is taqwa. All other benefits and advantages fall under taqwa like health or medical benefits.

For instance, it is general norm to empty your stomach at least 12hrs before doctor's visit. This is to allow doctor to measure accurate blood and urine counts (CBC) to evaluate your overall health.

We have establish that the primary purpose of Ramadan fasting is not about health benefits, so apart from this what objective usefulness is fasting for?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by usermane(m): 12:04pm On May 15, 2019
tintingz:
Good.

From scientific evidence, it is not a reasonable thing to the body. Especially when it is done over so many consecutive days. But aside effect on the body, it is debatable whether fasting is reasonable or not. It all depends on the person.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Empiree: 12:18pm On May 15, 2019
tintingz:

We have establish that the primary purpose of Ramadan fasting is not about health benefits, so apart from this what objective usefulness is fasting for?
since you don't believe in Ramadan, how relevant is your question to you?.

This is mandatory act of worship the same way we offer mandatory daily prayers. Need I teach you this all over or you are just being insensitive?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 1:16pm On May 15, 2019
usermane:

From scientific evidence, it is not a reasonable thing to the body. Especially when it is done over so many consecutive days. But aside effect on the body, it is debatable whether fasting is reasonable or not. It all depends on the person.
Alright.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 1:17pm On May 15, 2019
Empiree:
since you don't believe in Ramadan, how relevant is your question to you?.

This is mandatory act of worship the same way we offer mandatory daily prayers. Need I teach you this all over or you are just being insensitive?
Ok.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:06pm On May 15, 2019
tintingz:
@bolded, is this effective?

Yes. Whoever strives and prays to be saved will be saved.

Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, ascended the pulpit and he said, “Amin, amin, amin.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, you ascended the pulpit and said amin, amin, amin.” The Prophet said, “Verily, Gabriel came to me and he said: Whoever reaches the month of Ramadan and he is not forgiven, then he will enter Hell fire and Allah will cast him far away, so say amin. I said amin.....

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Ibn Ḥibbān 915

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by aadoiza: 6:35pm On May 15, 2019
Don't bother too much, OP. When chronic cancerous cells hit your balls, ehn, and conventional treatments prove useless, then you go know some of the benefits of purging your filthy cancer-infested balls of toxins through moderate starvation.

3 Likes

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

Yes. Whoever strives and prays to be saved will be saved.

Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, ascended the pulpit and he said, “Amin, amin, amin.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, you ascended the pulpit and said amin, amin, amin.” The Prophet said, “Verily, Gabriel came to me and he said: Whoever reaches the month of Ramadan and he is not forgiven, then he will enter Hell fire and Allah will cast him far away, so say amin. I said amin.....

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Ibn Ḥibbān 915

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani
I'm talking about the effectiveness of it in this world not in some fairy world.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 9:18pm On May 15, 2019
aadoiza:
Don't bother too much, OP. When chronic cancerous cells hit your balls, ehn, and conventional treatments prove useless, then you go know some of the benefits of purging your filthy cancer-infested balls of toxins through moderate starvation.
What tha hell is this one saying??
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by ChristianNorth: 12:31am On May 16, 2019
Empiree:

How does this relate to Ramadan? Wetin concern emptying your stomach 12 hours before vising a doctor and Ramadan

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by ChristianNorth: 12:34am On May 16, 2019
aadoiza:
How does this relate to Ramadam.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Empiree: 6:31am On May 16, 2019
ChristianNorth:

How does this relate to Ramadan? Wetin concern emptying your stomach 12 hours before vising a doctor and Ramadan
If you have a little bit of sense you should know that not eating 12 hrs to doctor visit is literally fasting. There are regions where fast hr during ramadan is also 12hrs. Dont complicate this clear analogy i provided. Fast is fast whether it is Ramadan or not
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:28am On May 16, 2019
tintingz:
I'm talking about the effectiveness of it in this world not in some fairy world.

O i have almost forgotten you are one of the nairaland Kaafir! It is effective for those who truly fear Allah and believe in those things that makes you a disbeliever.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 11:20am On May 16, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

O i have almost forgotten you are one of the nairaland Kaafir! It is effective for those who truly fear Allah and believe in those things that makes you a disbeliever.
How sure are you there is paradise somewhere?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2019
Empiree:
If you have a little bit of sense you should know that not eating 12 hrs to doctor visit is literally fasting. There are regions where fast hr during ramadan is also 12hrs. Dont complicate this clear analogy i provided. Fast is fast whether it is Ramadan or not

Sigh.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:50am On May 16, 2019
tintingz:
How sure are you there is paradise somewhere?

100% Sure.

It is Kufr to disbelieve in Heaven/Hell.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by aadoiza: 12:54pm On May 16, 2019
tintingz:
What tha hell is this one saying??
LMAO. You go remain confused forever

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by aadoiza: 12:56pm On May 16, 2019
ChristianNorth:

How does this relate to Ramadam.
You need a teacher? Visit the Education section.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 2:27pm On May 16, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

100% Sure.

It is Kufr to disbelieve in Heaven/Hell.

Wow 100% sure.

How did you know there is paradise/hell?
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by tintingz(m): 2:28pm On May 16, 2019
aadoiza:

LMAO. You go remain confused forever
Sigh
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by ChristianNorth: 2:46pm On May 16, 2019
Empiree:
Lol. You wahabis easily go belligerent.

I asked a simple question and you started talking off point. How is denying yourself food for over 12 hours beneficial to your health?

We understand the spiritual importance of fasting but saying it has health benefit is not a stupid lie but also murderously criminal.
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by Empiree: 3:16pm On May 16, 2019
ChristianNorth:

Lol. You wahabis easily go belligerent.

I asked a simple question and you started talking off point. How is denying yourself food for over 12 hours beneficial to your health?

We understand the spiritual importance of fasting but saying it has health benefit is not a stupid lie but also murderously criminal.
what's wahabi got to do with this?. How's wahabi concerned you?.

Bye
Re: Ramadan Fasting Was Never Meant To Be Health Beneficial by IMAliyu(m): 4:21pm On May 16, 2019
The main purpose of the Ramadan fasting is not about health, but about turning to Allah, self discipline, understanding the struggle that the less fortunate people go through, that kind of thing. Although if any health benefit comes with it we welcome it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Muslim Men Wash Their Joysticks After Urinating? / Never Stop Learning! / The Historic Debate Of Allama Hilli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.