Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,078 members, 7,807,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN (32746 Views)

Some Places With Stable Electricity In Nigeria - AfricaFactsZone / Magodo Residents Now Enjoy Stable Electricity After Signing An Agreement / 'Nigerians Have More Electricity Than They Can Consume' - Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by obailala(m): 12:52pm On May 16, 2019
LordAdam16:

Leave the Aboki make he dey reason like cow.

The DISCOs inherited the distribution network from the government. The US uses crossarm poles.

Even the Transmission network managed by the government crumbles at least four times every month. That's unheard of in much of the developed world. Is that managed by the DISCOs too?

Any small thing, DISCOs; as dem don b scapegoat. Always in a hurry to apportion blames to someone else.

Everybody shares the blame. From gas suppliers to NERC. Instead of talking about how to solve each problem from gas vandalism to metering; they'd keep meandering over problems and stating half-truths.

-Lord
Remember, blame is a Nigerian culture! But then again, what the man said is possible. When the DISCOs reject load, and the load becomes too high on the transmission lines, it leads to a shutdown. When the transmission lines shutdown, the GENCOs also have to turn off some of their turbines too. SO at the end, you cant blame him for blaming DISCOs. The DISCOs should share out prepaid meters to everyone or if they refuse to do that, the government should pass a bill to outlaw estimated billing completely. If every customer has prepaid meters, the DISCOs will sit up seriously. Nigeria wouldn't still get uninterrupted power supply at the current 5000-7000mw capacity, but majority of cities will enjoy over 15-18 hours per day.

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by mexbee1(m): 12:54pm On May 16, 2019
LordAdam16:

Leave the Aboki make he dey reason like cow.

The DISCOs inherited the distribution network from the government. The US uses crossarm poles.

Even the Transmission network managed by the government crumbles at least four times every month. That's unheard of in much of the developed world. Is that managed by the DISCOs too?

Any small thing, DISCOs; as dem don b scapegoat. Always in a hurry to apportion blames to someone else.

Everybody shares the blame. From gas suppliers to NERC. Instead of talking about how to solve each problem from gas vandalism to metering; they'd keep meandering over problems and stating half-truths.

-Lord
My brother u said it all its such a pity every player in d power sector from Generation to Transmission to Distribution has a fair share of the blame but no, at the slightest instance they would like to apportion all d blames to Discos its such a pity.
Nice comment bro u understand d sector wella
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by obailala(m): 12:59pm On May 16, 2019
soggy28:
Don't even know who and what to believe as to why the electricity supply in Nigeria has remained what it is epileptic!
The generation and distribution companies are blaming the transmission company of lacking the capacity to transmit generated power and now the TCN is pushing it back to the discos. Who is telling the truth?
Blame game .
TCN has the least blame here, they can claim to currently have a transmission capacity of over 7000mw. Whenever DISCOs reject load, the TCN is forced to shutdown to prevent an overload. Consequently, the GENCOs are forced to shutdown some turbines too. Also, the GENCOs on another hand suffer from incessant gas shortages which force them too to also shutdown sometimes. Amongst the 3, the TCN takes the least blame as they are just middlemen.

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 1:00pm On May 16, 2019
alizma:
I keep saying, distribute the prepaid meter to every house in Nigeria and you will see miracle happening in the power sector. The moment prepaid meter get to every home in Nigeria then the electricity distribution and use become real, fair business for both the seller and the user. The more you sell, the more profit you make. The more you pay, the more you can use. Tell me who will not want to make more profit in business?
Aside the fact that those countries have effective power distribution, the citizen don't joke with government agencies over there. In one of the Africa countries(not mentioned above), if you fail to pay your electricity bill after 5days grace on the due date, you are bound to pay 10% charge on the actual bill. And the agency don't have to come to your house to remind you but everyone already know what to do. If you are supposed to pay on 30th but couldn't meet up on that day or before 5th of the following month, when you are ready to pay, you just calculate the 10% , add it to the actual bill and pay.
A Nigerian in such situation will just abandon the thought of paying both the actual bill and the charges.
A lot of Nigerian will borrow credit from mtn,glo, or 9mobile, after using the credit to meet their urgent need, they throw the Sim card inside the nearest gutter and buy another Sim.
bros, oil dey your head, I have been to Benin republic severally and I can relate, very law abiding people unlike Nigerians. On the other hand, the solution about the meters is there for all to see just like u stated but the discos ain't ready. Liken their case to reaping where u didn't sow.
The discos want to make quick profits but don't want to invest money in buying meters or general expansion of their base for the long term gain hence their preference for estimated bills...I"ll blame Gej for our electricity woes not because he sold the discos but for selling to incompetent hands, wats worth doing is worth doing well. how du expect me to buy one meter for 67k and still pay my bills..the discos especially ibedc and bedc have failed woefully, the only solution is to terminate their contracts and give licenses to serious minded investors with strong policies to put them in check

2 Likes

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by obailala(m): 1:06pm On May 16, 2019
Alcacer47:
bros, oil dey your head, I have been to Benin republic severally and I can relate, very law abiding people unlike Nigerians. On the other hand, the solution about the meters is there for all to see just like u stated but the discos ain't ready. Liken their case to reaping where u didn't sow.
The discos want to make quick profits but don't want to invest money in buying meters or general expansion of their base for the long term gain hence their preference for estimated bills...I"ll blame Gej for our electricity woes not because he sold the discos but for selling to incompetent hands, wats worth doing is worth doing well. how du expect me to buy one meter for 67k and still pay my bills..the discos especially ibedc and bedc have failed woefully, the only solution is to terminate their contracts and give licenses to serious minded investors with strong policies to put them in check
Terminate the contracts of the current DISCOs and take away their licenses, they will go to court and hold the govt by the balls. The litigation will take another 10 years and any hope of improvement in power supply will be put in a deep freezer for another 10 years.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 1:06pm On May 16, 2019
obailala:
TCN has the least blame here, they can claim to currently have a transmission capacity of over 7000mw. Whenever DISCOs reject load, the TCN is forced to shutdown to prevent an overload. Consequently, the GENCOs are forced to shutdown some turbines too. Also, the GENCOs on another hand suffer from incessant gas shortages which force them too to also shutdown sometimes. Amongst the 3, the TCN takes the least blame as they are just middlemen.
This guy here is saying the truth for anyone who wants to listen. Technically, principle of electricity states that power given be equal to power consumed...Transmission gives but discos don't take/don't take as much which definitely will lead to an inevitable shutdown of TCN....simple
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 1:16pm On May 16, 2019
obailala:
Terminate the contracts of the current DISCOs and take away their licenses, they will go to court and hold the govt by the balls. The litigation will take another 10 years and any hope of improvement in power supply will be put in a deep freezer for another 10 years.
Fg won't just retrieve the license without any reason that's why we have Nerc...Nerc will give recommendations for the retrieval. Mind you, the retrieval is subject to a lot of factors like petitions from consumers and so on...So yea I agree they can go to court but their chances of winning is very slim
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by SaintLucia: 1:16pm On May 16, 2019
udemzyudex:

They know exactly what to do but won't because of their selfish interest.
What do u expect them to do when the previous government sold the power sector to their cronies and put a clause that is extremely difficult to revoke which will make the government to pay a lot of money if they try to revoke their licence? If you like generate 1 million megawatts, your 1 million megawatts will just be useless if u don't have a good distributions. In fact the power sector was better off when it was known as NEPA than now.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by SaturnNick(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2019
Perhaps, this man is high!
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by shomutuski(m): 1:40pm On May 16, 2019
alizma:
I keep saying, distribute the prepaid meter to every house in Nigeria and you will see miracle happening in the power sector. The moment prepaid meter get to every home in Nigeria then the electricity distribution and use become real, fair business for both the seller and the user. The more you sell, the more profit you make. The more you pay, the more you can use. Tell me who will not want to make more profit in business?
Aside the fact that those countries have effective power distribution, the citizen don't joke with government agencies over there. In one of the Africa countries(not mentioned above), if you fail to pay your electricity bill after 5days grace on the due date, you are bound to pay 10% charge on the actual bill. And the agency don't have to come to your house to remind you but everyone already know what to do. If you are supposed to pay on 30th but couldn't meet up on that day or before 5th of the following month, when you are ready to pay, you just calculate the 10% , add it to the actual bill and pay.
A Nigerian in such situation will just abandon the thought of paying both the actual bill and the charges.
A lot of Nigerian will borrow credit from mtn,glo, or 9mobile, after using the credit to meet their urgent need, they throw the Sim card inside the nearest gutter and buy another Sim.

give them prepaid meter and nigerians will still do meter bypass... this country is the issue. being a nigerian sef nah big problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by alizma: 1:42pm On May 16, 2019
kentoski:

Prepaid meter or not, power generation is still far from being sufficient. Those countries are way smaller than Nigeria, so power requirement of those countries combined might not even be enough to service Lagos and Ogun State if you add the industries. However I believe more deployment of prepaid meter will force the discos to sit up.
Do you still remember the days of NITEL? Only few Nigerian had money to buy card to make calls yet those thief made it looks like they were serving the whole wold and couldn't carry the work load any longer but look at the situation today. Nigeria is not bigger than America
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 1:44pm On May 16, 2019
SaintLucia:
What do u expect them to do when the previous government sold the power sector to their cronies and put a clause that is extremely difficult to revoke which will make the government to pay a lot of money if they try to revoke their licence? If you like generate 1 million megawatts, your 1 million megawatts will just be useless if u don't have a good distributions. In fact the power sector was better off when it was known as NEPA than now.
spot on bro, those guys really killed us. Most funny part is that now you sometimes have to pay for electricity pole or transformer maintenance...the last we were asked to pay for transformer oil which we did reluctantly, lol...with these discos, we are in deep sh**t
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by nedublink(m): 1:49pm On May 16, 2019
nigeria will always have excuse for failure.our second name is failure.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by positive11: 1:52pm On May 16, 2019
They know the problem they know the solution but what happen?? its still zero upon zero
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Chitumu: 2:06pm On May 16, 2019
alizma:
you are right, i once spent two month in niamey Niger 3 year ago the citizen dont joke with power agency. Electricity is 247 and excellent vandal proof distribution network. If u fail to pay your bill after grace period they won't cut your light they send in the police and U will be in a big mess.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by emmanuelpopson(m): 2:12pm On May 16, 2019
blame games all over the places... if they can do it there.. why not here.. negligence, corruption and maladministration of public agencies...
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Tomoarika(m): 2:25pm On May 16, 2019
obailala:

Slight correction, when Discos reject load, TCN dont shut down, rather they tell the Gencos to shut down if this doesnt happen automatically (as it's supposed to) in order to maintain the stability of the Grid system.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by 9jaRealist: 2:31pm On May 16, 2019
shomutuski:

give them prepaid meter and nigerians will still do meter bypass... this country is the issue. being a nigerian sef nah big problem.

We already know that Nigerians are the WOTST (and best) thing to happen to Nigeria... grin grin grin
>
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by 9jaRealist: 2:57pm On May 16, 2019
Alcacer47:

And why do you think the “serious-minded investors” did not come in the first place?
Let’s keep fooling ourselves that we can cap prices at N30 kw/h for electricity produced at an average of N50 kw/h and have a viable sector.

Nigerians have unfortunately made a habit of losing sight of the forest for the trees, and thus many Nigerians would resist paying for even marginally higher tariffs but yet spend so much more on generators (and fuel), not to mention the opportunity costs of losing lots of money if (for instance) you are a tailor, a barber, a welder, vulcanizer, etc., who has no generator and thus cannot work for several hours of each working day, or the madam with the kiosk or corner shop whose potential customers will not buy that drink (or extra bottle) because it’s not refrigerated enough. Sadly, with a “kobo wise, Naira foolish” mindset we keep moaning for getting exactly what we pay (or rather, not pay) for.

Meanwhile, a misapprehension held by many public commentators in Nigeria is that the DISCOs should have been sold to “technical” investors, which is RUBBISH! Investment merely requires capital, and across the globe most investors (even Warren Buffer) simply bring capital (ie, money) to the table. Of course it’s necessary that the managers of the company be competent and/or technical, but the investors themselves do not need to know jack about the technicalities of electricity supply. For example, Mike Adenuga was not a telecommunications expert prior to getting a GSM license and setting up Globacom. The electricity problem in Nigeria is regulatory/systemic, not technical.
>

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Tywo2018: 3:03pm On May 16, 2019
Abeg who lay the foundation of dis country sef. undecided undecided
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by grandstar(m): 3:03pm On May 16, 2019
Alcacer47:

The fault isn't entirely Jonathan's.

They did try getting foreign utilities to buy but they were uninterested. They said government here does not keep to the terms of a contract. Nigerian buyers was the secondary choice.

Look at Lekki Epe expressway.

It was supposed to be 3 toll gates but Lagosians protested and it was reduced to one. Fashola warned Nigerians that those who invest in infrastructure are a small community and they know themselves.

Even look at MM 2. Not only did the FG not live up to its own part, but are refusing to extend the contract. 12 years is simply too short.

True to form, FG has not respected the agreemnet with the Nigerian owned Genco's and Disco's. There was even a fiasco with the only foreign company ready tp partake, Manitoba something grin. I think they were to handle transmission

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by chinese81: 3:07pm On May 16, 2019
Exactly! Fix it! no need for English Mr Man..
citizenY:

What is there to learn if Usman Mohammed knows it already? TEll them what to do.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Dalyjay(m): 3:10pm On May 16, 2019
True sha
I am in Benin repulbic, their light here is good tho not powerful as a student I can only charge and use bulb to read,if you use more than you can afford you re on ur own..but it still better naija
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 3:28pm On May 16, 2019
grandstar:

The isn't entirely Jonathan's.

They did try getting foreign utilities to buy but they were uninterested. They said government here does not keep to the terms of a contract. Nigerian buyers was the secondary choice.

Look at Lekki Epe expressway.

It was supposed to be 3 toll gates but Lagosians protested and it was reduced to one. Fashola warned Nigerians that those who invest in infrastructure are a small community and they know themselves.

Even look at MM 2. Not only did the FG not live up to its own part, but are refusing to extend the contract. 12 years is simply too short.

True to form, FG has not respected the agreemnet with the Nigerian owned Genco's and Disco's. There was even a fiasco with the only foreign company ready tp partake, Manitoba something grin. I think they were to handle transmission
Bros I conform with your line of thought but the truth is say 80% of the fault is still Jonathan's cos The criteria used in selling the companies in the first instance wasn't based on competence, it was a man-know-man thing
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 3:58pm On May 16, 2019
seangy4konji:
Nigeria equals zoo

are you people not done yet....??

zoo this,zoo that....

now tell me,who lives in the zoo....??

not the same you....??

you and your people made it a zoo with una careless get rich or die trying mentality....
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alcacer47: 4:05pm On May 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

And why do you think the “serious-minded investors” did not come in the first place?
Let’s keep fooling ourselves that we can cap prices at N30 kw/h for electricity produced at an average of N50 kw/h and have a viable sector.

Nigerians have unfortunately made a habit of losing sight of the forest for the trees, and thus many Nigerians would resist paying for even marginally higher tariffs but yet spend so much more on generators (and fuel), not to mention the opportunity costs of losing lots of money if (for instance) you are a tailor, a barber, a welder, vulcanizer, etc., who has no generator and thus cannot work for several hours of each working day, or the madam with the kiosk or corner shop whose potential customers will not buy that drink (or extra bottle) because it’s not refrigerated enough. Sadly, with a “kobo wise, Naira foolish” mindset we keep moaning for getting exactly what we pay (or rather, not pay) for.

Meanwhile, a misapprehension held by many public commentators in Nigeria is that the DISCOs should have been sold to “technical” investors, which is RUBBISH! Investment merely requires capital, and across the globe most investors (even Warren Buffer) simply bring capital (ie, money) to the table. Of course it’s necessary that the managers of the company be competent and/or technical, but the investors themselves do not need to know jack about the technicalities of electricity supply. For example, Mike Adenuga was not a telecommunications expert prior to getting a GSM license and setting up Globacom. The electricity problem in Nigeria is regulatory/systemic, not technical.
>
No one is saying they should sell cheap afterall SIM cards once sold for as much as 25k and heaven didn't fall. what we re saying is invest in structures, meters, transformers etc provide good service at least 16hours in a day for a start and see if people won't pay no matter d amount, impose a no-pay-no-light on defaulters afterall who doesn't like good things, a serious investor knows all these but this's what u get when u sell to family/friends
Saying the companies be sold to technical guys is mere ignorance cos as an engineer who wants the best for my country I"ll sell to a businessman anyday anytime, Dangote the most successful black man, a business mogul didn't read chemical engineering but is investing in the the biggest refinery in Africa...Bottom line is we need to sell to people like dangote, adenuga etc or we dnt sell at all
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by banio: 4:11pm On May 16, 2019
Even the people that have the power distributed to them already don't have power. It is not distribution, there is no power to even distribute.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 4:13pm On May 16, 2019
udemzyudex:

They know exactly what to do but won't because of their selfish interest.

this is the main problem in nigeria....we are each too greedy....

now we wan to go learn from niger republic how to care for each other....??

somethig so simple that you read every sunday in your churches....??

nawa....
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 16, 2019
The problem with electricity in nigeria is not generation or distribution. Power generation was privatized and the distribution was privatized and given to discos such as eedc and ikedc. However the Transmission of power from the power generating companies to the discos is still 100% done by the Transmission Company of Nigeria and this company is 100% owned by Federal Govt and as a result is starved of adequate investment to upgrade our transmission facilities.

So Generating companies sometimes have electricity to supply the country, but the transmission company of nigeria does not have adequate facilities to move that electricity to the consumers/discos

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by kenoyad: 4:59pm On May 16, 2019
I don't blame the discos, I blame govt officials who are unpatriotic and lack public policy knowledge to run Nigeria aright. we all know that discos are failure but still nothing done cause there's a law that backs them up. it will never be well with our federal lawmakers. I always curse the lawmakers every time cause that's what they deserved.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Perfectbeing(m): 5:01pm On May 16, 2019
toolovely:

even when they give the prepaid meters, the next thing they will do is to increase the tariff so as to cover up.

True. But I think most Nigerians (me including) won't mind paying the extra cash so far there's constant power.
No extra cash will amount to how much we pay for fuel to run our businesses. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ten Things About MKO's Daughter, Rinsola, APC National Youth Leader Aspirant / Grazing: Miyetti Allah Expresses Shock Over South-East Governors' Decision / Buhari Supporter Vows To Testify At Winners Chapel Ota 'When' Buhari Wins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.