Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:00 AM

Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History (29482 Views)

Toyin Tofade Becomes First Black Female President Of Albany College of Pharmacy / Dowen College Founder, Olumide Phillips, Board Members Step Down / Is Lami Phillips Family The Owner Of Dowen College? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by FSU: 3:28pm On May 16, 2019

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 16, 2019
abdelrahman:
are you blind, don't you also see tobi there?

Tobi for Tobilola?? Clap for yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Athena4: 3:38pm On May 16, 2019
wirinet:

I was expecting the igbo Amaka crew to get an euphoric high, and I am not disappointed. The mere appearance of Tochukwu in the name of the girl and boom, euphoria. No further question ask as to whether she is actually igbo or not. I never knew igbos are surnamed Phillips. They did not even bother to ask further what grading system was used where she scored 6.9 GPA out of 4.

This racist or tribal profiling of foreign citizen, just because they bear a resemblance of igbo name would one day cause problems for the igbo nation. Instead of celebrating the achievements as an American feat (the girl might not even identify with igbo), they promote the girls achievement as a black igbo feat. How, do you think the Americans that gave her the opportunity to feel? I have never seen captions like whites are superior to others, because of one or a few white people's individual feat. Neither Asians, Indians and even Arabs. But some igbos have this psychological need to prove superiority based on individual efforts of others.
Yen Yen Yen. Cry me a river.

5 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Bede2u(m): 3:43pm On May 16, 2019
wirinet:

I was expecting the igbo Amaka crew to get an euphoric high, and I am not disappointed. The mere appearance of Tochukwu in the name of the girl and boom, euphoria. No further question ask as to whether she is actually igbo or not. I never knew igbos are surnamed Phillips. They did not even bother to ask further what grading system was used where she scored 6.9 GPA out of 4.

This racist or tribal profiling of foreign citizen, just because they bear a resemblance of igbo name would one day cause problems for the igbo nation. Instead of celebrating the achievements as an American feat (the girl might not even identify with igbo), they promote the girls achievement as a black igbo feat. How, do you think the Americans that gave her the opportunity to feel? I have never seen captions like whites are superior to others, because of one or a few white people's individual feat. Neither Asians, Indians and even Arabs. But some igbos have this psychological need to prove superiority based on individual efforts of others.
chai...this news pained u bro lol...now u are wishing americans too will start killing igbos lol... i knw hw u feel nw...but trust me things do get better wink

2 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Bede2u(m): 3:46pm On May 16, 2019
gbosaa:

All these just because someone shouted “Igbo Amaka”??

You have big problem. You are wired to be paranoid and jealous.
the guy is a hate filled idiat

3 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Germannig: 3:52pm On May 16, 2019
Tobechukwu ‘Tobi’ Phillips

That's her real name as written. The Tobi is a pet name for Tobechukwu. She is definitely Igbotic

https://espact.com/nigerias-tobechukwu-tobi-phillips-becomes-first-black-valedictorian-in-schools-125-year-history/

6 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Obec70(m): 3:57pm On May 16, 2019
Nne may God keep, protect & guide you! Happy for you big congratulations.

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by oluwazoba25: 4:05pm On May 16, 2019
if you see .e call me oyeigbo
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Dashry(f): 4:06pm On May 16, 2019
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by lexy2014: 4:10pm On May 16, 2019
Bizmagnet:
A very good news to douse the tension of negative news currently trendng.

The uniquness and the strength of your business and ideas lie in branding, and branding becomes tasteless without a website. Get your website/blog/softwares today. Check my signature for contacts.

Its good news 4d lady but bad news 4 Nigeria cos it shows that Nigerians are better off without Nigeria
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by BULLIONVAN4(m): 4:15pm On May 16, 2019
phonemakemoney:
TOBI PHILLIPs has YORUBA and IGBO Parents stop the tribalism NCAN.
I thought yorubas are as briliant as they claim so when you see something like this TOBECHUKWU "TOBI" or CHIZARAM "CHIZZY" or even EMEKA "EMMY" so they dont know the meaning of these symbols "" illiteracy is a curse. "spits"

7 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by tintingz(m): 4:19pm On May 16, 2019
So much tribalism in this thread.

Eeewww!

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 16, 2019
somegirl1:

Notice how the name Tobi is in quotes. It's an indication that it's a nickname or short form of her real name - Tobechukwu.
be deceiving yourself there

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by queenitee(f): 4:21pm On May 16, 2019
Rubyventures:

Tobi is an English name
Toby is an English name, Tobi is a Yoruba name

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by NkayStory(f): 4:21pm On May 16, 2019
wirinet:

When will you celebrate your own, or are you saying you don't have any personal achievements worth celebrating?

And who tells you she is one of your own? Does she even know you exist?

Your agony has no part two,better chill cos IT IS NOT THAT SERIOUS oh yeah yoruba people,It IS NOT THAT SERIOUS!!!

Gosh!!

6 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Rubyventures: 4:22pm On May 16, 2019
queenitee:

Toby is an English name, Tobi is a Yoruba name

You are right, I stand corrected. grin

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by queenitee(f): 4:27pm On May 16, 2019
Rubyventures:

You are right, I stand corrected. grin
But it wasn't the point actually of the post, the point was she's a Nigerian.

Please, what have we achieved with tribalism? Can we all stop tribalism?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by queenitee(f): 4:30pm On May 16, 2019
NkayStory:

Your agony has no part two,better chill cos IT IS NOT THAT SERIOUS oh yeah yoruba people,It IS NOT THAT SERIOUS!!!

Gosh!!
You should tell yourself that. If you'd acknowledged the fact that she's a Nigerian without being tribal, all these fuss wouldn't have been

1 Like

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Rubyventures: 4:31pm On May 16, 2019
queenitee:

But it wann't the point actually of the post, the point was she's a Nigerian.

Please, what have we achieved with tribalism? Can we all stop tribalism?

Nigerians are their worst Enemy. Even if the post says Nigerian, they will find away to say Ibo, Yoruba, Edo etc. The international world sees her as a Nigerian.
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by BULLIONVAN4(m): 4:31pm On May 16, 2019
abdelrahman:
are you blind, don't you also see tobi there?
the "TOBI" there as quoted means pet-short form of TOBECHUKWU so dont expect it to to be yoruba's TOBILOBA.

7 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by somegirl1: 4:40pm On May 16, 2019
abdelrahman:

abdelrahman:

Nicknames and false titles

Quotation marks can also set off a nickname embedded in an actual name, or a false or ironic title embedded in an actual title; for example, Nat "King" Cole, Frank "Chairman of the Board" Sinatra, or Simone Rizzo "Sam the Plumber" DeCavalcante.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks_in_English#Nicknames_and_false_titles

3 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Daewang: 4:40pm On May 16, 2019
Igbo Amaka.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by falopey: 4:42pm On May 16, 2019
Rubyventures:

Tobi is an English name
Tobi is not an English name.
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Hadampson(m): 4:49pm On May 16, 2019
BULLIONVAN4:
I thought yorubas are as briliant as they claim so when you see something like this TOBECHUKWU "TOBI" or CHIZARAM "CHIZZY" or even EMEKA "EMMY" so they dont know the meaning of these symbols "" illiteracy is a curse. "spits"
Awol1:

You got me.

Why always us?

Why do Igbos excel in a merit based society?

I suppose that's why zombies are so scared of an Igbo man leading this country.

But "oji ihe nwata welie aka elu, aka fuwa ya ufu, o wetuo ya".

Shun tribalism... We are one Nigeria
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Hadampson(m): 4:50pm On May 16, 2019
Daewang:
Igbo Amaka.

You get problem.. What will you gain from being a tribal bigot undecided
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Mynightmare: 4:55pm On May 16, 2019
Igbo kwenu

2 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by wirinet(m): 4:57pm On May 16, 2019
gbosaa:

All these just because someone shouted “Igbo Amaka”??

You have big problem. You are wired to be paranoid and jealous.

Not just because of someone shouting Igbo Amaka, but because some low esteem igbos without any further information whatsoever is using a totally irrelevant issue to claim igbo supremacy.

The girl in question was maybe born to a Nigerian parent ( probably her mother, and hence a foreign family name). She might even not be a Nigerian and the story might just be journalistic rascality. Omarosa Manigault and Yetunde Williams had been assigned Nigerian before.

This is a little girl born in the US, given opportunity to excel by Americans. But when it comes to claiming glory, the usual suspects starts to scream igbo Amaka.

Let me add, that if Obama's name had any thing chukwu attached, ewoo, we no go hear word again from the Igbo Amakaists. The igbos would have been the most superior race in the history of the universe. But we did not hear kpim from his Luo ethnic tribe in Kenya.

4 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by wirinet(m): 5:05pm On May 16, 2019
NkayStory:

Gosh!!
Agony that what? An American girl called Tochukwu Phillips scored 6.9/4?
I am not understanding o.

2 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by GermanPoison(m): 5:14pm On May 16, 2019
phonemakemoney:
TOBI PHILLIPs has YORUBA and IGBO Parents stop the tribalism NCAN.
i don't think igbo use Philips with d s i guess she's mixed because yoruba use philips a friend of my olabode philips n his Yoruba
Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by mamaafrik(m): 5:20pm On May 16, 2019
wirinet:

But Phillips is an Igbo name.
so odowu Phillips(mama rainbow ) is igbo?,won tin saagun si yin deede

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by EdiAbali: 5:31pm On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Tobi is that not a yoruba name.

Buhari ass licker

Tobi is an English name.
If she was caught carrying drugs, you wouldn't be asking this question

2 Likes

Re: Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 16, 2019
BULLIONVAN4:
the "TOBI" there as quoted means pet-short form of TOBECHUKWU so dont expect it to to be yoruba's TOBILOBA.
so why putting tobi there, when have already put tobechukwu there?
how on earth they do that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Teacher’s Remark That A Student Is Not Behaving Like A Human Draws Attention / Adeyeye Olorunfemi, Rusticated Student Of UNILAG Blasts School Management (Video / Unilag Masters Student Or About To Apply 4masters Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.