Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? (1247 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / What Job Can A Person Apply For Without Nysc Certificate Yet? / What Kind Of Job Can A Criminologist Get In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by finch29: 2:47am On May 04, 2007
Hi, could any of you help me with this? I intend to go to Nigeria to stay for a long time - like 5 or so years or perhaps for the rest of my life and so I will need to find a job over there. However I feel that because I am white there must be a limited amount of jobs I could possibly do as perhaps working too much of a high profile job or working as the only white employee in a company might make me a laughing stock. I’m not being racist when I say that it’s just that common sense tells me that I would garner too much attention in certain jobs over there because I am white. I have been told by Nigerians that for example because the white people over there tend to for example work for the British High Commission (or whatever foreign embassy is for their nationality) it is best to stick to what the other white people do to earn a living. Or maybe I should study to work in the Oil industry or to be an English teacher. Whatever I do I want to be able to work in a relatively densely populated area of Nigeria (not on an oil rig in the middle of nowhere) and I want to be safe and have job security and be able to earn enough to get a mortgage on a property over there. So my question is this: What jobs are out there for me? And what training (I.e uni degrees etc) do you think I should do to get qualified? P.S I know some will tell me to do what I am passionate about etc but the jobs-market is quite limited in Nigeria so I will not be too fussy. Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by Matured26(m): 8:35am On May 04, 2007
Hi Finch,
One thing that I can assure you is that there are a lot of odd jobs and from your post I can see that you are not well educated. If you don't have at least a Bachelors, then there might be problem living in Nigeria.
As per educational opportunities, I will advise you get ur degree over there first before u come down to Nigeria except you have a close relative or friend who has a job for you already or can give you one without efforts.
Lastly, have faith and anything is possible but take my advise and Nigeria will pay you but reject my advise and you'll be sorry you came. The environment is also not hostile.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by Osabro(m): 8:56am On May 04, 2007
Hi, Finch!

You are one of the rare white people who want to work in Nigeria, leaving the comfort of your country. However, as Matured has pointed out, education from the West in well recognised here. Without a degree you cannot get a good job here. You may need a degree in English to teach in some international school. You may also need to obtain a master degree in information related decipline to work in some good NGOs or some telecom companies. I work with IITA, Ibadan. In my place of work, there are a lot of foreigners. The pay is not bad, at least by developing country's standard. There is no security threat in Nigeria, except some oil-rich coastal areas, where known foreign oil workers are held hostage for financial rewards by some natives.

Best of luck.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by anifel20(m): 11:41am On May 04, 2007
Finch,
well I was wondering why a white guy will want to come over here and work? may be I still have to digest your post very well. The true of the matter to me is that most Nigerian youth will want to travell out and work in a foreign country even at odd jobs. You must have a good degree to work in Nigeria,especially if you have a recognised certificate in a foreign school where you will be consider to be an expatriate and you will be well paid. My honest suggestion is that you acquire a degree in any field of your choice. Nigeria is a very friendly place except well in the areas where miscreants take foreigners hostage for financial rewards. You will enjoy Nigeria if you settle down. Good luck and God help you
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by aikmamah1(m): 10:57pm On May 04, 2007
i jus hope say this our "white" guy dey u'stand our mother tounge sha grin ie origina pegin oyibo . bros make i tell u if u dey find job and u withe as u dey say, then i take God name beg u no near niger delta oooo. no ask wetin go do u if u try am . i don talk finish
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by Ka: 4:12pm On May 05, 2007
Finch,

You might also want to try putting your question on this site (if you've not been there already):

http://www.oyibosonline.com

It's frequented by expatriates working in Nigeria.
Re: Help! What Job Can A White Guy Get In Nigeria? by SOJ(m): 7:31pm On May 07, 2007
Depends, Finch on where ur interest lies.I gather from ur post that u dont wanto work in oil and gas(by the way thats where ur fellow mates are!) and u want to be in the suburbs relating with people.So, gather knowlegde in an area of interest and relocate to Nigeria thru a number of reputable sites that offer relocating services to foreigners.The rest is easy.Anything u do should be service related by the way.See u in Naija soon

(1) (Reply)

Help / Any Clue About First Bank Interviews? / 50 People Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.