Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,704 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport (2385 Views)

Car Rally To Airport To Welcome Peter Obi To Port Harcourt (Pix) / Photos From The Ongoing Renovation At Enugu International Airport / Pictures As Enugu International Conference Centre Nears Completion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 17, 2019
FG to shut down, downgrade Enugu international airport

The Federal government is to downgrade the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu from its international status to a local airport following safety concerns from airlines.
Minister of State for Aviation, Mr. Hadi Sirik, who stated this at a Stakeholders Forum held in Lagos late Friday also said the government was also considering a temporary shutdown of the Enugu Airport to address safety challenges raised by airline operators flying into the airport.
“We have issues with the Enugu Airport and we may downgrade Enugu Airport in terms of international status and I have discussed it with the Federal Government,” said Sirika.
Sirika listed the major challenges hampering the smooth operation of the airport to include the poor state of the airport runway, the presence of a state radio mast on the flight path of airlines that threatens the safety of incoming aircraft, the siting of a Free Trade Zone at the end of the runway, as well as incessant bird strikes affecting airlines and occasioned by the presence of an abattoir at proximity to the airport. Sirika said he had held discussions with the Enugu state Governor, Mr. Ifenyi Ugwanyi on the need to relocate the market, pull down the radio mast and relocate the Free Trade Zone in the interest of safety of aircraft and passengers.
“I am afraid that Enugu Airport might have to be closed down. I have told the governor that we have to move the market, FTZ, and take the radio mast away so that we can move in and fix things and clear the runway so that we can improve on safety and save lives,” he added

https://www.facebook.com/378378918890631/posts/2333799286681908/

Read more at:

https://punchng.com/market-location-abattoir-make-akanu-ibiam-airport-unfit-for-international-operations-sirika/

lalasticlala.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 17, 2019
I think this is a nice step

what a community..........
bad runaway
abbatoir in airport
bird strikes all time
radio mast...

nothing is international about the airport, it should be converted to local flight or community flight.

I rest my submission.

6 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by jesse8048(m): 9:25pm On May 17, 2019
Since the problems have been identified, why not solve them rather than downgrade. Or are those things rocket science? Any thing to subdue the igbos gives them orgasm.

15 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 17, 2019
jesse8048:
Since the problems have been identified, why not solve them rather than downgrade. Or are those things rocket science? Any thing to subdue the igbos gives them orgasm.

The minister is right.
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by BeautifulMind2: 9:29pm On May 17, 2019
[s]
Osagyefo98:
I think this is a nice step

what a community..........
bad runaway
abbatoir in airport
bird strikes all time
radio mast...

nothing is international about the airport, it should be converted to local flight or community flight.

I rest my submission.
[/s]
This is uncalled for, why attacking Igbo interest, use your common sense.

9 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by denko(m): 9:30pm On May 17, 2019
An Amaechi is there watching like .... i don't know what to call him

8 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by BeautifulMind2: 9:31pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

The minister is right.
This is height of stupidity.

9 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 17, 2019
BeautifulMind2:
[s][/s]
This is uncalled for, why attacking Igbo interest, use your common sense.

Ohhhhh

When your brother was attacking it was not igbo interest.....

Now am saying an obvious facts, is now igbo interest.

that's hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by IeatPussy: 9:31pm On May 17, 2019
Since it didn't meet the standard test for international flights why not shut it down and upgrade it like you did ABJ international. If someone talk about it now, they will say he's been tribalist.

Anyway I don't blame una, Nigeria is already a downgraded nation ..

7 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Upton: 9:33pm On May 17, 2019
Enugu
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by BeautifulMind2: 9:36pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Ohhhhh

that's hypocrisy.
Use your common sense for once
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by BeautifulMind2: 9:37pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Ohhhhh

that's hypocrisy.
Use your common sense for once, stop disgracing us, this is collective interest, if you throughly know those that worked for it.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by MetaPhysical: 9:38pm On May 17, 2019
Look, SE is too small to have an airport. Give them an airfield please. Infact, an airstrip is enough for now.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Midastorch(m): 9:38pm On May 17, 2019
jesse8048:

JEEZ!!!!!you are one tribal bigot who is blind to the truth.. just on Monday there was Bird strike at the same Airport with Airpeace...The Aircraft was carrying Deputy senate President, Anambra State Governor and Senator Victor Umeh.... Now tell me, how does this affect the North or SWyou need to grow pass tribal bigotry, else you’ll be walking to your doom....#KMT

6 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by olagbola45(m): 9:38pm On May 17, 2019
Thank God
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by otokx(m): 9:41pm On May 17, 2019
The needful should be done.
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:42pm On May 17, 2019
BeautifulMind2:

Use your common sense for once, stop disgracing us, this is collective interest, if you throughly know those that worked for it.

Collective interest??
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by kurupt1: 9:47pm On May 17, 2019
Akanu Ibiam international airport was intentionally denied a lot of facilities and federal support so that later it could be downgraded to a local status.
Why not upgrade it?...... tribalism will kill Nigeria finish sooner that I thought

3 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by BeautifulMind2: 9:49pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Collective interest??
Serious I feel so ashamed of your comments, you are always fighting the wrong battle, I don't know if you lack knowledge where to draw red line.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 17, 2019
BeautifulMind2:

Serious I feel so ashamed of your comments, you are always fighting the wrong battle, I don't know if you lack knowledge where to draw red line.

u don't need to ma
FG should what pleases them...

Draw red line when ur people always draw blood line.
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by fx45(m): 9:58pm On May 17, 2019
BeautifulMind2:

That slowpoke you're addressing is an Afonja conehead. He's very far from being an Igbo person. I'm surprised you're not aware

2 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 17, 2019
fx45:
That slowpoke you're addressing is an Afonja conehead. He's very far from being an Igbo person. I'm surprised you're not aware

lolzzz
may God forgive una...

mtcheew.
Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Stingman: 10:03pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

lolzzz
may God forgive una...

mtcheew.

Show any Hausa/Fulani or Yoruba that hate their own people with insane bitterness like you Igbo wannabe...

Igbo ko Igbo ni!

3 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 17, 2019
Stingman:

Show any Hausa/Fulani or Yoruba that hate their own people with insane bitterness like you Igbo wannabe...

Igbo ko Igbo ni!

Doesn't concern.

If the airport can't work, let them close it down.

we have Asaba and Imo airport even port Harcourt.

Nobody should brew up Igbo sentiments here.....

As said earlier asaba is more safer, reliable and trustworthy than u lots.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Stingman: 10:16pm On May 17, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Doesn't concern.

If the airport can't work, let them close it down.

we have Asaba and Imo airport even port Harcourt.

Nobody should brew up Igbo sentiments here.....

As said earlier asaba is more safer, reliable and trustworthy than u lots.

True Igbo man...

never seen a Yoruba man or Hausa man saying never bring Yoruba or Hausa sentiment on issue that concerns them...Like an Hausa man saying the goverment should stop drilling oil in the north as there are lots of oil in the Niger Delta...

Igbo man in deed!

5 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 17, 2019
Stingman:

True Igbo man...

never seen a Yoruba man or Hausa man saying never bring Yoruba or Hausa sentiment on issue that concerns them...Like an Hausa man saying the goverment should stop drilling oil in the north as there are lots of oil in the Niger Delta...

Igbo man in deed!

Mr Hapu okwu, Ife mebiri emebigo....

This is solely una matter....

Ikparicha m, u expect me to turn around kwuru gi na-azu.

anaghi agba nzuzu agba.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by HopeAtHand: 10:39pm On May 17, 2019
I support the closure of that airstrip in Enugu for safety of air travellers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Blue3k(m): 11:14pm On May 17, 2019
Sirika said he had held discussions with the Enugu state Governor, Mr. Ifenyi Ugwanyi on the need to relocate the market, pull down the radio mast and relocate the Free Trade Zone in the interest of safety of aircraft and passengers.

They've been talking about this radio mast and runway for years. They even did emergency repairs December. The state should've moved this stuff already. The rest of the complaints are new to me.

1 Like

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by malele(m): 12:41am On May 18, 2019
Midastorch:

JEEZ!!!!!you are one tribal bigot who is blind to the truth.. just on Monday there was Bird strike at the same Airport with Airpeace...The Aircraft was carrying Deputy senate President, Anambra State Governor and Senator Victor Umeh.... Now tell me, how does this affect the North or SWyou need to grow pass tribal bigotry, else you’ll be walking to your doom....#KMT

U are the tribal goat, why will an airport be shut down because of bird strike ? Do u know even the most advanced airport,still records bird strike ocassionalliy

2 Likes

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by Ekpeitit(m): 12:47am On May 18, 2019
Osagyefo98:
FG to shut down, downgrade Enugu international airport

The Federal government is to downgrade the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu from its international status to a local airport following safety concerns from airlines.
Minister of State for Aviation, Mr. Hadi Sirik, who stated this at a Stakeholders Forum held in Lagos late Friday also said the government was also considering a temporary shutdown of the Enugu Airport to address safety challenges raised by airline operators flying into the airport.
“We have issues with the Enugu Airport and we may downgrade Enugu Airport in terms of international status and I have discussed it with the Federal Government,” said Sirika.
Sirika listed the major challenges hampering the smooth operation of the airport to include the poor state of the airport runway, the presence of a state radio mast on the flight path of airlines that threatens the safety of incoming aircraft, the siting of a Free Trade Zone at the end of the runway, as well as incessant bird strikes affecting airlines and occasioned by the presence of an abattoir at proximity to the airport. Sirika said he had held discussions with the Enugu state Governor, Mr. Ifenyi Ugwanyi on the need to relocate the market, pull down the radio mast and relocate the Free Trade Zone in the interest of safety of aircraft and passengers.
“I am afraid that Enugu Airport might have to be closed down. I have told the governor that we have to move the market, FTZ, and take the radio mast away so that we can move in and fix things and clear the runway so that we can improve on safety and save lives,” he added

https://www.facebook.com/378378918890631/posts/2333799286681908/

Read more at:

https://punchng.com/market-location-abattoir-make-akanu-ibiam-airport-unfit-for-international-operations-sirika/

lalasticlala.

Re: FG To Shut Down, Downgrade Enugu International Airport to local airport by duncun: 1:34am On May 18, 2019

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another News Outlet Joins PUNCH Now To Refer Buhari As Dictator / PHOTOS: Amaechi, Lai Mohammed Inspects New Apapa Dockyard / Tension As IPOB Replies Herdsmen On Threat To Take Over Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.