Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,366 members, 7,781,000 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:15 AM

— - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / (772 Views)

Religious violators list: We are disappointed Nigeria was delisted - USCIRF / Discussion on Doctrine between a Christian and a Jehovah's Witness / DISCUSSION: YHWH (jewish) And Enki (epic Of Gilgamesh) Who Is Older? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by meobizy(f): 4:32pm On May 19, 2019
Topic long served its purpose.

1 Like

Re: — by meobizy(f): 4:33pm On May 19, 2019
Re: — by LordReed(m): 5:15pm On May 19, 2019
It is because like all characters in a work of fictional they are there to further the story, their attributes are endowed by their authors. And just as you alluded to the authors are themselves products of their environment and in religious works case, time. You can be sure that had the bible been written in a more modern age it would have had more well developed characters. You can see it in the way Christians treat the devil, giving it all manner of powers and attributes not specified in the bible.

2 Likes

Re: — by meobizy(f): 8:56pm On May 19, 2019
Re: — by Bacteriologist(m): 9:52pm On May 19, 2019
God killed more people than Satan did in the Bible.

That alone say a lot about who's evil.

2 Likes

Re: — by LordReed(m): 9:52pm On May 19, 2019
meobizy:

This makes sense: the more modern the story, the deeper the character arcs.
With the many revisions the Bible has undergone why hasn’t the same happened?
High Definition movie revisions of today have lighting and special effects upgrades.
Some books of the 1800s are spiced up using contemporary lingo and grammar structures.

I can not imagine my future grandchildren being guided by a book with no mention of Twitter, Google or Facebook.
As such I will leave my children with the decision to pick a deity or none at all.

I also saw in a documentary that some books of the Bible never made the official cut.
That means there’s a possibility of Satan’s (or Lucifer before the war) good deeds being omitted to present a one-sided story.

The truth is, the world has long gone beyond the era of pure good vs pure evil.
It is a hackneyed non-realistic situation.

It's a problem with religious texts, too much revision will destroy the illusion that the text was revealed by a "divine" entity. The fallout being you can't include the more unique aspects of modern society so you get people to write books and make pronouncements.

I too hope my children and future generations will see that religion is unnecessary to living a good life.

4 Likes

Re: — by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 05, 2020
LordReed:

It's a problem with religious texts, too much revision will destroy the illusion that the text was revealed by a "divine" entity. The fallout being you can't include the more unique aspects of modern society so you get people to write books and make pronouncements.

I too hope my children and future generations will see that religion is unnecessary to living a good life.
This deserves more than a couple of likes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: — by elated177: 11:00am On Jan 01, 2021
meobizy:

This makes sense: the more modern the story, the deeper the character arcs.
With the many revisions the Bible has undergone why hasn’t the same happened?
High Definition movie revisions of today have lighting and special effects upgrades.
Some books of the 1800s are spiced up using contemporary lingo and grammar structures.

I can not imagine my future grandchildren being guided by a book with no mention of Twitter, Google or Facebook.
As such I will leave my children with the decision to pick a deity or none at all.

I also saw in a documentary that some books of the Bible never made the official cut.
That means there’s a possibility of Satan’s (or Lucifer before the war) good deeds being omitted to present a one-sided story.

The truth is, the world has long gone beyond the era of pure good vs pure evil.
It is a hackneyed non-realistic situation.

Which religion do you belong to?
Re: — by meobizy(f): 7:23am On Feb 16, 2022
elated177:

Which religion do you belong to?
Yes.
Re: — by MrLondonder: 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2022
meobizy:
This is aimed at Christians but other religions can join in the fun.

A majority of us have watched Game of Thrones, read books and seen movies in which bad guys have a logical point.
These media show us that good and evil is not a black and white situation, grey areas also exist where just like daily living a good person can easily commit evil if given reason.
Villains in modern day cinema, although bad, now have redeeming qualities to make viewers think twice before their eventual demise.

I have seen and heard of real life people who were products of their environment.
In such cases it is obvious that had earlier situations turned out different the subject will turn out a contributing member to society.

Cersei (Game of Thrones) was evil but one can’t deny she was an excellent mother to her children and would go to the ends of earth to keep them safe.

Killmonger (Black Panther) was only a victim of circumstance.
Had he grown in Wakanda events would have taken a different turn.

Idi Amin was a renowned dictator, cannibal and megalomaniac but even here we celebrate his efforts to get rid of foreign expatriates reaping rewards where they did not sow.

Hitler was known to fraternize with the same countries which turned against him in the end.
I was shocked to see it was only when his extremist views went against other countries interests he was then deemed an enemy.

Those were a few examples.
What baffles me the most is the Bible which serves as a guide to which believers should live their lives makes only one mention of Lucifer’s good qualities.
Is this is enough to serve as a redeeming quality or I have not read enough of the Bible?

It says the fallen angel, as at under his master’s guidance, was God’s favourite of all heavenly beings.

If I am missing any other redeeming quality Satan may have I want it pointed out.
I don’t see the reason we as logical entities should hate something because we were told to.
I strongly believe everyone and everything, no matter how evil, has at least one characteristic which makes them good — not ultimately but at least enough to sway an audience to their favour.

gimmme some nah..i beg. i will pay u any amounts. up to 10,000 naira!(no oofense) embarassed
Re: — by Dtruthspeaker: 9:59pm On Feb 28, 2022
Dead walker.
Re: — by Dtruthspeaker: 10:06pm On Feb 28, 2022
2020 dead.
Re: — by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Feb 28, 2022
meobizy:
Those were a few examples.
What baffles me the most is the Bible which serves as a guide to which believers should live their lives makes only one mention of Lucifer’s good qualities.
Is this is enough to serve as a redeeming quality or I have not read enough of the Bible?

It says the fallen angel, as at under his master’s guidance, was God’s favourite of all heavenly beings.

If I am missing any other redeeming quality Satan may have I want it pointed out.
I don’t see the reason we as logical entities should hate something because we were told to.
I strongly believe everyone and everything, no matter how evil, has at least one characteristic which makes them good — not ultimately but at least enough to sway an audience to their favour.
When you say Lucifer, do you mean instead Satan, or the one called the devil? undecided

There is no fallen angel character named Lucifer in the Bible, and the one you call Satan, no record that he was ever in fact an angel of God. I am afraid much of what you have of him is based on myths and not scripture. undecided
Re: — by meobizy(f): 11:31pm On Feb 28, 2022
Re: — by MrLondonder: 10:26am On Mar 01, 2022
meobizy:
Zzz. Unemployed entity.

let me fok u nah?was all this wickedness about that u refusing to help a brother goin thru stress.....do u no act of wickness is sin that all sinnnner are goin to hell?..abi, do u wanto go to hell? repent!! angry

..u beginin to sound like racist coz u dont like black peopl!(real talk) angry
Re: — by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:47am On Mar 01, 2022
This is the reason why Jesus sent his disciples out to:
PREACH (plead with everyone) so they can listen and judge for themselves if truly God was unfair in anyway!
TEACH (inculcate in them) God's plan for this planet and it's inhabitants!
First of all i want you to know that when God declared anyone/anything "evil" all you need to see the reason is calmly listen to God's servants, you will be convinced undoubtedly that whatever God's called "evil" is nothing but EVIL! smiley

1 Like

Re: — by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 01, 2022
meobizy:

Can I have the chapter and verse please - where it says the fallen angel was God's favourite. Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Who Do Believe And What Do You Believe And Why Do You Believe / Video: Angry Pope Francis Slaps Hand Of Woman Who Refuses To Let Go / Women From The Tomb- Another Bible Contradiction!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.