Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,938 members, 7,799,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Republic At Risk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Republic At Risk (194 Views)

What I Saw About Oduduwa Republic At A Petrol Station Today / Kashamu’s EFCC Petition: Jobs And Investments In Sports Betting Industry At Risk / Niger Bridge At Risk Of Collapse, Igbo Group Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Republic At Risk by Dejikohen: 9:45am On May 20, 2019
Republic at Risk

For quite sometime now, I have been bothered by a thought, it is like my shadow keeps following me everywhere I go (nothing out of order there, until the shadow seem to be acting independent of me as if it were an entity with a life of its own). Not for once have I discussed this troubling thought of mine with anyone. Sometimes, I am tempted to let it off my chest but history and recent developments have made this thought very enigmatic to me. It has turned out to be a very prominent cogitation on my mind, one for which I am taking a significant amount of time to study and give my absolute attention.

My thought borders squarely on the governance of the nation, Nigeria, particularly as regards the roles being played by the present crop of her political leaders, and the possibility of the military coming back into government. My biological father and first political instructor has always said this to me: "The worst civilian government is preferable to the best of military governments". "The barracks is the home of soldiers..." he would add earnestly, and who am I to dispute the claim of one so old and wise, who saw military government in all its tyrannical glory. Not to mention, my political education started at the cradle of the fourth republic and I was an infant when the last set of soldiers were handling over the baton of leadership to the men in 'Agbada'.

So, it is safe for me to let go of this thought and pay close attention on nation building and the posterity of my beloved nation, Nigeria. Like you, I detest the military government in our nation's history - from Ironsi to Babaginda. I would not dare speak of Abacha, for such a poor excuse for a man is not worthy of my time. Albeit, every time I set my heart to go a step forward, something calls my attention back to the bedrock and foundations of our nation. This call vividly and ominously impresses on me to pay a little more attention to the barracks. It beckons on me to study what led trained soldiers to drop their arms in exchange for the delicate role of governance. More than five decades and yet, Major Hassan Usman Kastina's prophecy still rings jarringly in our nation's belly - "coup succeed coup, this will not be the end of it. This country will continue to witness coup d'etat". Those were his very words after the January 15, 1966 coup, and given the prevailing flippancy in governmence, I wonder if we've seen the last of coups.

Of the many things I have found out from my research as excuses used by the soldiers for seizing power, I have decide to share two, due to the pecularities of the times.

Corruption: Ranking highest on the list surely is corruption. This disease, like cancer is sucking the very life out of our national existences and significance. It has been one unwavering factor the soldiers have hung upon in leaving their primary point of duty and taking up political power. As case studies or shall I say prophecies, I'd like you to read some excerpts of coup speeches:

Major Chukuma Kaduna Nzeogwu of the January 15 1966 coup, "Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least; the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles; those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds."

Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, "Since what happens in any society is largely a reflection of leadership of that society, we deplore corruption in all its facets. This government will not tolerate kickbacks, inflation of contracts or over-invoicing of imports etc, nor will it condone forgery, fraud, emblezzement, misuse and abuse of office and illegal dealings in foreign exchange and smuggling."

Earlier in his coup speech, Major -General Muhammadu Buhari had said " The corrupt inept and insensitive leadership in the last four years has been source of immortality and impropriety in our society."

Or, shall we consider General Ibrahim Babaginda's coup speech of August 27 1985: "When in December 1983, the former military leadership headed by Major General Muhammadu Buhari assumed the reins of governmen, its accession was heralded in the history of this country with the nation at the mercy of political misdirection and on the brink of economic collapse. A new sense of hope was created in the minds of every Nigerian. Since 1984, however, we have witnessed a systematic denigration of political ledership and a general deterioration of the standard if living, which had subjected the common man to intolerable suffering (scuttling) the reasons for the intervention. Nigerians have since then been under a regime that continued with this trend."

The speeches of Babaginda, Buhari and Nzeogwu, look like words that could as well have been spoken today. Clearly, they are a perfect reflection of the Nigeria of 2019. The fourth republic has witnessed the highest level of corruption and mismanagement of all the republics!

Another like corruption is the issue of our continuous unity. No one captures this better than General Murtala Ramat Muhammed, in his July 29, 1975 speech.

"Fellow Nigerians, events of the past few years have indicated that despite our great human and material resources, the government has not been able to fulfill the legitimate expectations of our people. Nigeria has been left to drift. This situation , if not arrested, would inevitably have resulted in chaos and even bloodshed. In the endeavor to build a strong, united and virile nation, Nigerians have shed much blood. The thought of further bloodshed for whatever reasons must, I am sure be revolting to our people. The Armed forces, having examined the situation came to the conclusion that certain changes were inevitable."

Looking closely at these two points and the present reality in our nation, we cannot comfortably say things are different. In fact we are worse of! Corruption and mismanagement have soared higher, we are more divided and insecure as a nation, that one begs for even the tiniest ray of hope. No administration in the fourth republic has successful curbed corruption and foster National unity. The present administration was brought in to provide solutions, but it has emerged handicapped and defeated.

The recent happenings around the world from Venezuela to Sudan and the level of insecurity within our borders calls for swift actions from the nation's political leaders. The barrack lords can perceive the disgust of the people towards their leaders, they can hear the inaudile heart cry of the pouplace for change and they know the people would not mind 'going back to Egypt', so long as they are sure of onions, cucumber and shelter. This administration must act now to quash the hunger for action, power and fortune growing like a virile seed in these Generals' heart. Perhaps I would have been less disturbed if the chief Army staff had not issued a stern warning to members of the Nigerian Army suspected to be planing a coup. There is no smoke without fire, even if it is a smouldering fire, so they say.

This government should do its job and allow the sleeping dogs lie.

Thank you, May God bless you and May He continually bless and keep the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Adewumi Adedeji
Writes from Lagos, Nigeria
Dejijupiter@gmail.com.
#DPresidentDiary.
Re: Republic At Risk by Nobody: 1:36am On May 22, 2019
Engaging. It keeps your mind occupied while you wait.

(1) (Reply)

NASS Media Accreditation Guidelines Obnoxious, Arrogant & Insensitive – OMPAN / BREAKING: IHEDIOHA Wins As Two Petitioners Withdraw Suit Against Governor Elect. / We Did Not Block Imo State Account- EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.