Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant (19574 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 12:42pm On May 20, 2019
helphelp:
Go ahead. And don't forget to tell us you copy and pasted from Quora
Thanks...it was clearly stated it was culled from QUORA...

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Originalsly: 12:43pm On May 20, 2019
Hmmm.... that's the bitter truth.... even low paying jobs are not easily to come by if you have papers.... and wayyyy worse if you don't.... nearly impossible if Mexicans are in the area...would be like competing with a machine for a job

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by theunnamed: 12:43pm On May 20, 2019
cool cool
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by luluman: 12:45pm On May 20, 2019
vastolord4:
Very helpful to those that wants to flee.. but we shall fight this war together.. running won't help us
Thank you. please fight for ise, I'll compensate you when I get back from canada.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by luluman: 12:45pm On May 20, 2019
vastolord4:
Very helpful to those that wants to flee.. but we shall fight this war together.. running won't help us
Thank you. please fight for us, I'll compensate you when I get back from canada.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Sonnobax15(m): 12:47pm On May 20, 2019
Stories....buhari must hv paid these one 2 come and brainwash us...*tueh*....it ain't qonna work..

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Carl09: 12:48pm On May 20, 2019
Tabbaz:
Are you alright sir?

Tabbaz my man.
A trial will convince you
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by helphelp: 12:48pm On May 20, 2019
Bless You

ITGTRAVELS:
Thanks...it was clearly stated it was culled from QUORA...
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Tabbaz(m): 12:49pm On May 20, 2019
Carl09:

Tabbaz my man.
A trial will convince you
obviously you must be a comedian grin
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by pinkygurl(f): 12:50pm On May 20, 2019
ITGTRAVELS:
This thread is for aspiring Immigrants. I decided to post this so it could be useful to everyone who wish to leave and settle down in another country in the nearest future. Kindly read through and comment.

QUESTION: I am from Nigeria, studying in Canada, Singapore, Germany, UK, Australia or Ireland, which country is better off in terms of job employment and permanent residency for international students after graduation?

ANSWER:Okay.. it is clear, that your motivation to study, is to gain employment post study and eventual permanent residence in a more developed country that Nigeria. As far as a desire goes, this is fine, and there is nothing wrong with it. However, everyone is right about following rules. That you are asking shows you want to follow a legal route, which is good, but it is clear, you do not understand the process!

Almost all countries will offer a work permit leading to a permanent residency, if you are very highly skilled and specialized, for example a nuclear scientist or something! However, we are not talking about that here. You need to understand that countries like Canada and Australia (and others) want immigrants, but they want to assess them, and decide who take, and whom not to. This is why they have a points based system. Controlled immigration is good.

So, if you really want to emigrate, you have to become worthy of being wanted. You have to stand out as being someone who will be a value to the country and help it grow. To my knowledge countries which are interested in general immigration include, Canada, Australia, NZ, Denmark, and a few in Europe including Germany, Netherlands, Finland, Sweden. The UK is closed to immigration.

So, you have to study to learn, not to emigrate! Acquire skills, to become employable, and eventually gain the points for entry. Life is not a bed of roses abroad, living costs are high, and the work ethic is exceptional. You will hate it if you got here, but did not deserve to be. You will do low paid work and never really rise in society - I am sure you do not want that! I have seen many do this, as if “everything in the west is made of gold”! Its a myth. People, work very hard to make a decent living, and some do more than one job.

So my advice, which I am sure others will also support, is to strop focusing on emigrating, but on acquiring skills, studying, working and doing something useful. Nigeria is a growing country and so is Africa. There are a HUGE no of opportunities to make money in a country on a growth curve. If you invest in yourself, you can travel, see the world and if you have the right skills, you may even work abroad. The world will open up to you.

So, change your focus.. it is about your life, and what kind of person you become, not about emigrating which way but how! Maybe explore a business? The world appreciates people of substance, and just having a desire for a better life, is not enough. Use it as a catalyst and swing into action, and do not under-estimate your own country. Good luck.

Culled from QUORA:
https://www.quora.com/I-am-from-Nigeria-studying-in-Canada-Singapore-Germany-UK-Australia-or-Ireland-which-country-is-better-off-in-terms-of-job-employment-and-permanent-residency-for-international-students-after-graduation

sad grin
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 20, 2019
Xtanixlax:

If I call EFCC now, you people will say ayam wicked abi?

Please go ahead, dont spare them.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by tuboi: 12:54pm On May 20, 2019
rawpadgin:
u & who wan stay & fight war together
If I naked swear for u ehn embarassed

grin grin
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Tabbaz(m): 12:56pm On May 20, 2019
The truth is bitter

While we face numerous challenges in our dear country, Our fellow Nigerians living abroad are facing their challenges as well.

Life is not fair especially to black and most especially to Africans and 'most most' especially to Nigerians. We must struggle to win the battle

So, if you do not have a skill that will give you a competitive edge over others (especially citizen of that country) abroad, you may end up doing odd (degrading) jobs.

However, few lucky people have passed through those odd jobs and later made it to the top abroad. The most important thing is not to travel out just for traveling sake and never think it's silky smooth out of naija. It's hard everywhere for Nigerians. Only a few lucky ones are exempted. Build your skills and improve your credential before exiting the country (Nigeria).

Good luck

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by kinglee007(m): 1:13pm On May 20, 2019
While I agree on the write up on some few critical points mentioned (like getting a skilled job, trying to further ones education....because they actually are what some people trying to migrate tend to overlook not knowing that this points are vital keys to achieving ones dream), I will also like to note that most people (nowadays) know that embarking on a journey to a foreign land is not as easy as it seems anymore. The main drive that makes people relocate or migrate is basically currency exchange. In my own opinion, if the Pound, Euro, Dollar currencies are equal to the Naira, seriously would you want to stress yourself to go to a foreign land when you know the value of what you intend to work for or get there is the same as what you'll get here?

My One Kobo opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 20, 2019
Tabbaz:
The truth is bitter

While we face numerous challenges in our dear country, Our fellow Nigerians living abroad are facing their challenges as well.

Life is not fair especially to black and most especially to Africans and 'most most' especially to Nigerians. We must struggle to win the battle

So, if you do not have a skill that will give you a competitive edge over others (especially citizen of that country) abroad, you may end up doing odd (degrading) jobs.

However, few lucky people have passed through those odd jobs and later made it to the top abroad. The most important thing is not to travel out just for traveling sake and never think it's silky smooth out of naija. It's hard everywhere for Nigerians. Only a few lucky ones are exempted. Build your skills and improve your credential before exiting the country (Nigeria).

Good luck
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by Stanpatricks(m): 1:32pm On May 20, 2019
@ITGTRAVELS, I got a 75% scholarship to study in Finland and i will be issued a student VISA in due course.... But i actually want to get a PERMANENT VISA and don't know how possible that could be nor how to go about it. Was thinking your organisation could help me with some guideline...
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 1:44pm On May 20, 2019
Stanpatricks:
@ITGTRAVELS, I got a 75% scholarship to study in Finland and i will be issued a student VISA in due course.... But i actually want to get a PERMANENT VISA and don't know how possible that could be nor how to go about it. Was thinking your organisation could help me with some guideline...
I will get back to you shortly on this...kindly gimme a mention again in case i dont reply in 24hrs. Thanks.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 1:48pm On May 20, 2019
OzziOhinoyi:
grin

Aptly and concisely written.

See my signature for land deals in Abuja.
kiss kiss kiss
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 1:49pm On May 20, 2019
calddon:
Skill acquisition is the key to successful income.

A business can easily be killed by lack of capital but most basic skills require little to no capital.

With good practical skills your sure that las las you must eat.
TRUE....
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by monarch101(m): 1:50pm On May 20, 2019
You can still migrate without skills,the main thing is after settling down.you can enroll for night classes.the most Paramount thing is stay FOCUS.

this op should stop discouraging people without skills

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 1:51pm On May 20, 2019
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... that's the bitter truth.... even low paying jobs are not easily to come by if you have papers.... and wayyyy worse if you don't.... nearly impossible if Mexicans are in the area...would be like competing with a machine for a job
LOL...competing with machines? HMMM

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by ITGTRAVELS: 1:52pm On May 20, 2019
monarch101:
You can still migrate without skills,the main thing is after settling down.you can enroll for night classes.the main thing is just stay FOCUS.

this op should stop discouraging people without skills
No i am not..
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by freemi(m): 1:53pm On May 20, 2019
Atk1nson:
Well said op, every way is not a way
yes. Very good write up
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by abnot: 2:41pm On May 20, 2019
Mishydoo:
UK is "Closed to immigration' yet our youths are streaming there to spend millions.Who will give them orientation

Some of our youths want the education and not emigration. Get that right .
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by chudez0147(m): 2:57pm On May 20, 2019
rawpadgin:
u & who wan stay & fight war together

If I naked swear for u ehn embarassed
�lol
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by inspector1(m): 2:59pm On May 20, 2019
[quote author=vastolord4 post=78554171]Very helpful to those that wants to flee.. but we shall fight this war together.. running won't help us.

ON YOUR OWN?
Re: Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant by abnot: 3:23pm On May 20, 2019
Sonnobax15:
Stories....buhari must hv paid these one 2 come and brainwash us...*tueh*....it ain't qonna work..
Lol safe trip. Quora has more experienced and well off contributors compared to Nairaland . On quota you have ex-african expatriates , people with experience living & working in 1st , 2nd , 3rd world countries , retired consultants/experts. A good percentage of contributors on Nairaland are disgruntled youths who hardly analyse things from a rational point of view which makes Quora a preferred forum (my opinion)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Slashes Blue Line Rail Prices By 50% In Line With Sanwo-Olu's Directive / Spanish Government Deports 23 Nigerians / Dana Air Explains Why Their Plane Overshot Runway In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.