Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,426 members, 7,800,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! (5564 Views)

N300 Million Road Rehabilitation: FERMA Abandons Kogi Road In Ruins (photos) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / Nigeria’s Refineries In Ruins Despite Mous With China, India, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 1:10pm On May 20, 2019
Obollo-Afor is in ruins, ruins of accumulated dilapidation of yester year. A commercial fulcrum of Enugu State as pivotal as Obollo-Afor has been left in the throes of enviromental decay for far too long. The town is now in shambles. Everywhere cuts a picture of despoliation and degradation!

The structures in the famous Afor Obollo Market are fast decomposing. What exactly is the use of government if it is unwilling and unprepared to serve the needs and yearnings of the people? What responsible government would let a place like Obollo-Afor ( which is even a historic town) to rot away?
Can Gburugburu just for once use Obollo-Afor to prove the naysayers wrong?
Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 2:10pm On May 20, 2019
Obollo-Afor has no master plan. Development here is at best a riot of structures! Chaotic and haphazard. Things are just springing up with so much disorderliness and complete absence of well-meaning calculation.

I have been wondering, and I am still wondering, why Obollo-Afor has not received the kind of attention she rightly deserves. It is unbelievable that a place like Obollo-Afor which is the Main Northern Gateway to the Southeast has been abandoned by successive governments both State and Federal. It is absolutely unbelievable! It is shameful even.

It is unimaginable that both the Federal Government and the Government of Enugu State have no meaningful investment in infrastructure in Obollo-Afor. There is almost zero government presence here. All there is here is military checkpoints, and thieving policemen blocking the roads and extorting illegal "tax" from the people!

What moves Obollo-Afor is the sheer resilience and grit of the people at all kinds of striving in commerce and cottage industries.

It is even disheartening to call to mind the very fact that Obollo-Afor is the local government headquarters of Udenu where the current Governor of Enugu State hails from. It is just so unfortunate that for the past four years he has been in office, Obollo-Afor has remained a skeleton struggling to put on some flesh. Nothing critical has happened here in terms of development! Nothing meaningful! Nothing of note!

One of the first things Peter Obi did after assuming office in 2006 in Anambra State was producing a viable masterplan for each of the three important locations in Anambra State, namely; Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi. He did it through the agency of the United Nations Development Programme.
I believe strongly that Obollo-Afor is the new Onitsha, the latest Onitsha in the making! What on earth has made the authorities blind to the great potentials Obollo-Afor holds not just for Enugu State but also for the whole of South-East? What made Onitsha the commercial heart of the East is largely not only her prized location at the bank of the River Niger but also her strategic position as the Western Gateway to the East!

Obollo-Afor has similar character. She is seated at the Northern Gate to the East of the Niger, and occupies a nodal space with a significant number of land corridors and road tributaries leading into and from Kogi State, Benue State and Anambra State!

Why can't there really be a well thought-out, deliberately calculated and diligently executed attempt to do justice to this interesting place? What is the Government of Enugu State waiting for? Obollo-Afor when properly developed and organized can yield revenue for government.

Is anything wrong with having dual carriage roads in Obollo-Afor?
Is it a taboo to give Obollo-Afor a master plan?
Is it unconstitutional to have well tarred and laid-out streets (yes, streets. I mean, real streets) in Obollo-Afor? Streets named after the natives, native folk names and personages!
Streets well calibrated with fixed numbers!
My address could then read; No. 3 Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi Street, Ohulor Obollo-Afor; No. 4 Odoangwu Street, Obollo-Afor; No.7 Aka-Eze-Aka Close, Amutenyi Obollo-Afor; No14 Udenu Drive, Central Obollo-Afor!
These are ideas and examples that can take shape in reality.

4 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by amaham(m): 2:32pm On May 20, 2019
Not even a picture to butress your rants . Odiegwu Las Las

6 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 3:31pm On May 20, 2019
Is anything wrong with having this place opened up to 21st century civilization at once for good and for real?
Just look at the current state of things; a town struggling to become a town, with no master plan!
A town with no drainage system! Individuals do drainages on public roads. And yet, a government gave contracts for those substandard roads to be constructed without drainages, without service lanes, without pedestrian walk ways, without roads markings, without any form of road accessories whatever!

Obollo-Afor is dirty and filthy.
The town has no aesthetics, no colour, no cheering sites, no gladdening sceneries, no inspiring monuments, nothing to refresh the eye, nothing to console the heart, no beautiful and awe-inspiring edifices and structures to instill high-mindedness and great vision in the children and youngsters growing up here!

The main thing that keeps the town active and going is the commerce! And the beautiful heart of the people in Obollo-Afor who are very hospitable, humble, and unassuming!

Time to act is now. Those close to the Governor should draw his ear firmly and drum it deep into his hearing that he is wasting time. He has got to hit the ground running and firing from all cylinders.
Ndi Igbo si na igbu oge bu njo.
To waste time is sin.
There is so much work to do.
Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 3:33pm On May 20, 2019
And here let pictures talk:

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by christejames(m): 4:52pm On May 20, 2019
I'm with you on this brother, Obollo-Afor should be amongst the top urban areas in the state/east. That town has been neglected for too long... the most painful part is its sprawl development gradually nosediving into a blight settlement. The town really needs a keen attention from its urban planners to avoid having one of the worst nodal towns in the country.

#followNPFL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by KidsNEXTdoor: 6:01pm On May 20, 2019
Gburus is busy doing nothing in Enugu...

Paying social media influencers to look good in the public will not help him...

There is much work to be done.. But he's busy going about.. Jumping from one occasion to the other.. Looting money here and there.. All because he is in the good book of Abuja power brokers..

Ugwuanyi has disappointed many..
He could have consolidated on the good work Sullivan did in the capital by taking it to the rural areas..

2 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:36pm On May 20, 2019
More pictures:

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by ezedioranma9(m): 6:40pm On May 20, 2019
I remember those years...
Any luxury bus coming from the North East parks briefly in obolo-affor.
You'll see a long queue of luxury buses waiting for morning to come before moving down to onitsha or Aba.

Eiyaaa

5 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:41pm On May 20, 2019
Pictures talk:

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:46pm On May 20, 2019
More and more:

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:50pm On May 20, 2019
More eyesores:

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:54pm On May 20, 2019
More:

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Timmypromise(m): 7:57pm On May 20, 2019
I won't talk
Am scared of ban grin grin grin
Can't we manage dirt in Nigeria
The dirt in this region can last Sweden for weeks

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by SpecialAdviser(m): 8:14pm On May 20, 2019
Is a big shame how Obollo Afor has refused to develop. Always wearing Akatakpa, Omabe and all maasqurades. No development plan

4 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 20, 2019
This One na SLUM-DOG DEBTOR

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 8:40pm On May 20, 2019
SpecialAdviser:
Is a big shame how Obollo Afor has refused to develop. Always wearing Akatakpa, Omabe and all maasqurades. No development plan

Put the blame where it rightly belongs.
The people in Obollo-Afor are good.
They are hardworking and very hospitable.
They are doing their own bit individually in private investment and ownership of property.
It is the government that has refused to give Obollo-Afor a developmental direction.
It is the government that has underdeveloped Obollo-Afor for over 40 years!

Leave the masquerades out of this.
That will form a topic for another discussion.
Stay focused on the content of this thread.
It is about failure of government to uplift Obollo-Afor to high standards of environment and infrastructure!
Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Npfn: 8:53pm On May 20, 2019
Ugwuanyi has spent so much on media he even pay per post on nairaland the governor should work and open Enugu more he should concentrate on bringing back tourism education and industrialization when it comes to security he is trying but most Enugu villages need help and industrialization

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by 35824L: 9:08pm On May 20, 2019
The way they always boast about how they developed Lagos and Abuja, one may think their own place would be at par with London. Flatti.es

3 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by obynno7(m): 9:24pm On May 20, 2019
tanks OP for this wonderful work am from obollo afor and all u said are true we need infastruture and urbanization

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by obynno7(m): 9:27pm On May 20, 2019
Thanks you very much OP for this ur wonderful work i am from obollo afor and all you said are all true we need industrilization and urbanization for this historic town ,

2 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by obynno7(m): 9:28pm On May 20, 2019
SpecialAdviser:
useless guy what has masqurade got to do with this topic?

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Homeboiy: 10:14pm On May 20, 2019
ugwoke in as much as obollor afor is dipilated

What has your local government chairman doing to salvage the issues?

Una go carry hotel put for road dey talk say road no good

let me first start with the hotels between the boundary of iheaka n iheakpu obollor

Obollor hotel dey road .that waziri hotel dey road
ugwanyi gave every community 5mil each to take develop the community. .una igwes swallow the ones meant for una.

Did Eke ogrute people complain abi them no get market abi nkwo ibagwa people complain?

Because its a stop over for people coming from the north all ur people think of as development there is building hotels and guest houses.

Ugwanyi owes u nothing. .The only thing he owes us is to please reduce the number s of billboards in Enugu state.

NB. Iam from Nsukka local government and I schooled at Holy ghost ambassadors. .so I too know obollor afor

3 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 10:22pm On May 20, 2019
I went through Ogbete Main Market Enugu City a couple of days back, and it was such a lovely experience shopping in it.
I love Ogbete Market for one thing: it has its own special flavour. It is a market with character, quite on a class of its own.

It was a smooth shopping experience with so much beauty to sweeten the eye! The shops are well spaced out. The walk ways in between are finished with hard concrete. Everywhere is clean and organized. The orderliness also rubs off on the traders there who are quite friendly and very polite!

Ogbete has got everything. Every good thing somehow finds its way to Ogbete Market. The general feel that pervades the market is heart-warming.

I took some pictures.
I will post them as soon as network permits.

2 Likes

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by pluto123: 11:12pm On May 20, 2019
35824L:
The way they always boast about how they developed Lagos and Abuja, one may think their own place would be at par with London. Flatti.es
must U Talk Trash On Every Thread?

Spits!

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by pluto123: 11:23pm On May 20, 2019
Obollo Afor Have Good Roads,those Pictures U Posted Was Taking Inside The Market, Go To MBU In Isi Uzo Local Government, Or To Eha Alumona You Will Weep For Them,there Is No Single Express Road In The Whole Of MBU(both AMON AND AKPOTI),no Government Presence,no Working Hospital No Accessible Road Connection,some Time I Just Hv To Ask My Self If MBU is still part of enugu state...development there is zero!! enugu state government should come to our rescue!

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 11:24pm On May 20, 2019
Homeboiy:
ugwoke in as much as obollor afor is dipilated

What has your local government chairman doing to salvage the issues?

Una go carry hotel put for road dey talk say road no good

let me first start with the hotels between the boundary of iheaka n iheakpu obollor

Obollor hotel dey road .that waziri hotel dey road
ugwanyi gave every community 5mil each to take develop the community. .una igwes swallow the ones meant for una.

Did Eke ogrute people complain abi them no get market abi nkwo ibagwa people complain?

Because its a stop over for people coming from the north all ur people think of as development there is building hotels and guest houses.

Ugwanyi owes u nothing. .The only thing he owes us is to please reduce the number s of billboards in Enugu state.

NB. Iam from Nsukka local government and I schooled at Holy ghost ambassadors. .so I too know obollor afor

You sound recklessly overconfident and densely irrational!
Why do you talk like that? Like Nura, the Drunkard.
Even if you have no control over what goes on in your mind, try to put some leash on yourself so that the cacophony rioting in you stays right in there!

Gburugburu owes Udenu everything!
Tell everybody I said so.
He owes Obollo-Afor (his own very local government capital) far more than he owes every other part of Enugu State.
Still tell that to everybody including your neighbours.

I will not humour you with a detailed response.
If the Ogrutes and the Ibagwas are comfortable with the environmental decay around them, Obollo-Afor people are not!
And as a matter of urgency, Obollo-Afor demands quite very sternly and vehemently her own share of government attention right now! Tell everybody that too!

Don't be silly there.
You must be idiotic not to know that under current arrangement, local governments are fiscally subsumed into state governments despite the pretence of being duly elected, and so can do very little, just as little as paying salaries!
Don't be a daftus. If you lack reasonable things to say,
stay still and chill out.
Is that clear?
Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by Ugwuoke347(m): 11:40pm On May 20, 2019
pluto123:
Obollo Afor Have Good Roads,those Pictures U Posted Was Taking Inside The Market, Go To MBU In Isi Uzo Local Government, Or To Eha Alumona You Will Weep For Them,there Is No Single Express Road In The Whole Of MBU(both AMON AND AKPOTI),no Government Presence,no Working Hospital No Accessible Road Connection,some Time I Just Hv To Ask My Self If MBU is still part of enugu state...development there is zero!! enugu state government should come to our rescue!

You not entirely correct.
More pictures are coming.
Pictures of the ghetto parts of Obollo-Afor.
Obollo-Afor is a town, not some hamlet somewhere in the innards of Enugu State.
She deserves the same attention given to Enugu City and other urban hubs in the State.
What is happening at Mbu and Eha-Alumona should not in any way make the current decay of infrastructure in Obollo-Afor acceptable.
You appear to be desperately pushing some false logic, namely; that Obollo-Afor should stay as it is because Mbu and elsewhere are in need!

This thread is about Obollo-Afor, not about Mbu and Eha-Ndiagu.
Mind you, my father owns properties at Umuarima Eha-Ndiagu, and Nzuteigbo! I can't remember the last time I visited there. The roads are long gone to the worst form of gully erosion.
Those places are among the forgotten parts of Enugu State that rightly deserve serious attention from government.
Perhaps a new thread will have to be created by you for that.
For now, this thread is about Obollo-Afor!
If the plight of Mbu and Eha touches you, create awareness about it. Create a thread here. Post pictures, and let the world see the neglect and crude marginalization going on.
Is that clear?
Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by alezzy13: 11:55pm On May 20, 2019
KidsNEXTdoor:
Gburus is busy doing nothing in Enugu...

Paying social media influencers to look good in the public will not help him...

There is much work to be done.. But he's busy going about.. Jumping from one occasion to the other.. Looting money here and there.. All because he is in the good book of Abuja power brokers..

Ugwuanyi has disappointed many..
He could have consolidated on the good work Sullivan did in the capital by taking it to the rural areas..

I don't think that's entirely true.

For instance Ugwanyi worked on Opi to obollo afor road, which helped reduce the horrors being faced on that stretch of road.

Similarly he has really transformed Nsukka town.

However I totally agree with OP regarding the neglect of Obollo Afor.

1 Like

Re: Obollo-Afor Is In Ruins! by MetaPhysical: 12:09am On May 21, 2019
Ugwuoke347:

You not entirely correct.
More pictures are coming.
Pictures of the ghetto parts of Obollo-Afor.
Obollo-Afor is a town, not some hamlet somewhere in the innards of Enugu State.
She deserves the same attention given to Enugu City and other urban hubs in the State.
What is happening at Mbu and Eha-Alumona should not in any way make the current decay of infrastructure in Obollo-Afor acceptable.
You appear to be desperately pushing some false logic, namely; that Obollo-Afor should stay as it is because Mbu and elsewhere are in need!

This thread is about Obollo-Afor, not about Mbu and Eha-Ndiagu.
Mind you, my father owns properties at Umuarima Eha-Ndiagu, and Nzuteigbo! I can't remember the last time I visited there. The roads are long gone to the worst form of gully erosion.
Those places are among the forgotten parts of Enugu State that rightly deserve serious attention from government.
Perhaps a new thread will have to be created by you for that.
For now, this thread is about Obollo-Afor!
If the plight of Mbu and Eha touches you, create awareness about it. Create a thread here. Post pictures, and let the world see the neglect and crude marginalization going on.
Is that clear?

I praise your honesty and forthrightness. Trust me, governments in Nigeria are useless, same crop of corrupt politicians rule the landscape. You have to shame them publicly and draw attention to their incompetence and they will respond and do what should ordinarily have been their priority assignment. I bet you with the awareness you put out here it will soon reach government house and they will respond positively to address the issues.

You should be applauded for standing up and demanding a change. One by one, village after village, town after town, city after city, wipe out deficiencies and introduce empowerement. It will not all be done under one administration but one completed project per administration and in twenty years Obollo Afor will be transformed. Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Haunted By Its Civil War-- New York Times / The beautiful city of kaduna 2020(pictures) / Why Is Tinubu And His Lieutenants Not Campaigning In Southeast And Southsouth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.