Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,665 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Rooftop Hydroponic Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rooftop Hydroponic Farm (617 Views)

Hydroponic Soiless Farming In Nigeria / Hydroponic Fodder Feed / DIY PVC Vertical Hydroponic System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rooftop Hydroponic Farm by atnerjennac24(f): 4:49pm On May 20, 2019

An estimated 80 percent of the world's population will inhabit urban areas by 2050. As the earth's population grows and moves toward city centers, there's mounting concern that there won't be enough food to feed everyone. In addition, since about 80 percent of usable land is already being cultivated, there's a lack of space to grow all of the necessary food. One way scientists have found to circumvent the issue of space is urban agriculture, and specifically, hydroponic farming.

Hydroponic farming is the cultivation of plants by utilizing mineral nutrient solutions in water instead of soil. They can either be placed into gravel, pebbles, or similar objects that have been saturated with a nutrient solution (aggregate substrate system) or suspended in a trough that contains a nutrient mixture (nutrient film technique). The water is circulated so there's no waste, and there's also a decreased risk of pathogens because of the sterile, soil-free environment, which is ideal given the risk of food borne illnesses like salmonella and E coli. Almost any plant can survive via hydroponics because they are able to thrive by absorbing nutrients that are calculatingly added to the water supply. As such, plants can be grown anywhere, including rooftops, which also allows for plants to be grown year-round.

From the first mention of using soil-less planting techniques by Francis Bacon to the research of William Frederick Gericke in the late 1920s, hydroponics was seen as a revolutionary claim to change the face of agriculture. Later work by Dennis R. Hoagland and Daniel I. Arnon debunked claims that hydroponic farming could produce better yields than soil-based farming, but their research didn't include the advantages of hydroponics, such as not having to worry about inadequate or over watering. In the 1930s, this type of farming saw success on Wake Island, which lacked natural soil. On the island, Pan American Airways was able to grow vegetables hydroponically for their passengers. Eventually, by the early 20th century, the process was developed for commercial applications in the United States.

Today, hydroponic farming has thrived, especially in New York City where space is at a premium. In 2008, Viraj Puri and Eric Haley founded Gotham Greens. They hope to produce as much as 80 tons of produce annually in their rooftop greenhouse facility in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. They claim their methods produce 20 to 30 times more product per acre than field production, while eliminating the use of farmable land, re-circulating their water through an advanced irrigation system, being more energy efficient, and using no chemical pesticides, insecticides, or herbicides.
Other companies with an interest in hydroponic farming include Manhattan-based BrightFarms, Lufa Farms in Montreal, the largest hydroponic farm in North America, and Sky Vegetables in Needham, Massachusetts.

Although it takes more technology to grow plants hydroponically than typical farming methods, with more research and fine tuning, it could be the best way to produce high-quality foods for the future.
============
you can learn more at
Everything You Need To Know About Growing Heirlooms
morninghomestead.com/best-hydroponics-books-beginner-reviews
Re: Rooftop Hydroponic Farm by Nobody: 12:23am On May 21, 2019
It's neat not just excellent!

1 Like

Re: Rooftop Hydroponic Farm by Tenzilla: 1:36pm On Oct 14, 2020
I recently started growing some plants, and thanks to chance I got here. I destroyed several plants due to my ignorance and lack of proportion. However, thanks to you, I'm already doing pretty well. Now I can create a business ( a joke, but as it is). So, if something is not clear, you can write me here in personal account, I'm a professional now, lol, or if you do not want to communicate too much, there is another source on https://www.indoorgrowtech.com that will help you with many questions. Good luck in your business.

(1) (Reply)

Needed Urgently - 90 Tonnes Of Maize Needed Twice Weekly. / Vegetable Oil For Sale In Tons / Anyone With Pen For Lease In Abeokuta Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.