Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired (35543 Views)

The Truth About What Actually Happened To The White Woman In Badagry — Police / My Sister's Covenant With Her Lesbian Partner / EFCC Arraigns Man For Defrauding Army General N180m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by dmakoy: 7:48pm On May 20, 2019
Covenant University N180Million Fraud Case:

Recent reports have it that, there has been a whooping sum of N180Million fraud rocking Covenant University for a couple of months now, and EFCC is now involved in the case.

The NationOnline Report:

https://thenationonlineng.net/n180m-fraud-rocks-covenant-university/

https://twitter.com/independentngr/status/1129761071437422592?s=12

But here's more details about what apparently transpired:

Covenant University has remained the renowned awards-winning, best ICT-driven University both in Nigeria & West-Africa back to back to back within the last 10years; virtually almost all the official processes & activities within the university are executed/managed electronically via dedicated ICT platforms, and recently an electronic payment platform (called 'CUSanwo' i.e. 'CUPay') was put in place as an additional payment channel for students' school fees payment, and payment for services offered by the school such as CU Energy, CU Shopping Mall, etc.

The "CUSanwo" e-Payment platform was reported to be the University's Vice Chancellor's original research idea and concept. And soon became an adopted payment e-platform for the University, after one of the University IT/Technical support staff (by name Daniel Owolo) had convinced the VC that he could help me develop the payment platform. Afterwards, the VC packaged and presented project concept to the University's board, and approval was secured.

Going forward, The VC decided to work closely and hand-in-hand with Daniel (the "CUSanwo" developer), and sooner or later, CUSanwo became Promoted & choice platform for school fees payment.

Mr. Daniel decided to play a fast one on his Covenant University, his employer, by using the e-payment platform he developed to start diverting funds meant for CU into his own account.

And within a twinkle of an eye, his financial status and physical outlook changed: bought new exotic cars for himself and wife (also an AdminStaff of CovenantUniv), bought landed properties outside campus, bought new cars for campus "Uber" runs, chartered Choppers To-Fro Ota and Lagos, ... (even reportedly bought a N11Million worth Car as a gift to the VC, which was said to be rejected by the VC), ... etc.

Soon Daniel's office colleagues began to raise eyebrows, asking probing questions, ... yet, none could Xray him, despite not being able to imagine how a staff who roughly earns about N100k as an IT/Technical support staff, suddenly transformed financially overnight, ...

It was not until around the 2019 Presidential election period, that the University's Chancellor, Bishop David Oyedepo got to hear about the extravagant lifestyle of Daniel; The bishop was at his Polling Unit in Ado-ota to cast his vote, when the 'area boys' around started hailing him, with the hope that we would 'drop something for the boys', but when he wasn't yielding to their demands, they started grumbling, and exclaiming that, "was it not one of Oyedepo's boys that always give them cool cash, each time the guy flies to the area with his Chopper?, so why Oyedepo no wan 'settle' them na?"
This apparently caught Bishop's attention and that was how Daniel's name came up.

So without Daniel's knowledge, he was placed under surveillance and ... here you have it: N180Million of CU's money (mostly school fees) fraudulent diversion uncovered.

On the Bishop's order, he was apprehended by the internal security team of of the University, then grilled and with the hope of recovering as much as they can from him. He appeared to be cooperating with the securitu team, until suddenly a lawyer appeared claiming he was Daniel's attorney. And so the case became a state high court matter.

The matter was taken to court, only for Daniel & his lawyer to play another 'Dino Melaye's Strategy' on the court and the university. He claimed to be medically unwell, and as usual in Nigeria, the court granted him bail (but under police parole).

Amazingly, few days after Daniel was sighted moving around like a free man with nothing to fear: the police's position was that, the guy has been granted bail so since it's already a court matter, he can't be rearrested except he tries to "jump the bail"

So, the Bishop who may still be deep taken aback by this possibly 'all-time greatest' financial fraud within his camp, apparently had to resort to the EFFC to handle the matter. So Daniel is reportedly being held in EFCC's custody.

By the way, revelations coming out from the priliminary fact finding into the CUSanwo project and the N180million fraud case shows that:

The VC single-handedly conceived and executed the CUSanwo project hand-in-hand with Mr. Daniel alone, without following the University's official protocols for awarding and managing projects contracts (not even of such magnitude): usually, there are constituted university committees and panels, such as ICT/Software committee, etc. that review and examine every project proposals presented to the University; a project contract proposal defense panel (constituting of staff from all key and relevant departments and units of the university) is usually constituted to interrogate any contractor/vendor before any project contract is recommended and referred to the university management and then university board.

But in this CUSanwo case, the VC acted alone, in managing the project with Daniel.

Besides the fact the EFCC is now involved in Daniel's case, one of the many questions begging for answers among staff on the university campus remains: "How or Why would the VC single-handedly managed such huge project, without following due process or even ensuring proper controls are put in place?"

Why? How?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by dmakoy: 7:50pm On May 20, 2019
See guy, see how in don transform.
He dey plan to own hin own PJ? cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by dmakoy: 7:58pm On May 20, 2019
Findings showed that he actually didn't develop or owned the "CUSanwo" platform as www.sanwo.me website for e-payment was owned by another fellow, so he apparent just paid for some space to perpetuate his fraudulent act.

http://www.sanwo.me/index.php

The site is hosted by GoDaddy. But no Info. about the DNS or even the SSL certificate.

It is disturbing how a whole Covenant University could fall for this scam.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by daddytime(m): 7:59pm On May 20, 2019
Hmmm

He has a big God and a super mentor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by erifeoluwasimi(f): 8:47pm On May 20, 2019
This happens sometimes, remember when RCCG was duped with that dove media thing. After production of few movies we didn't hear anything again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by HigherEd: 10:21pm On May 20, 2019
Lol so it's this guy! No wonder.
I see Oyedepo shutting down the 'CUPay' platform immediately and forever. This is pure carelessness on the part of the VC and the management. So far, in the organization I work in, we make certain to bind all our tech consultants by the most stringent laws possible.

I hope the VC doesn't lose his seat for this.

1) The way the 'CUpay' platform was rushed into implementation without probably testing for loopholes or the input of cybersecurity experts was nah.

2) They should have started with utility payments rather than school fees and other heavy payments.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by vheckthor1: 10:31pm On May 20, 2019
dmakoy:
Findings showed that he actually didn't develop or owned the "CUSanwo" platform as www.sanwo.me website for e-payment was owned by another fellow, so he apparent just paid for some space to perpetuate his fraudulent act.

http://www.sanwo.me/index.php

The site is hosted by GoDaddy. But no Info. about the DNS or even the SSL certificate.

It is disturbing how a whole Covenant University could fall for this scam.
Bro, you are a penetration tester?

4 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by HigherEd: 10:48pm On May 20, 2019
The idiot actually renting an helicopter to travel to ota is the most ridiculous part of this whole scandal.

They need to confiscate all his properties and sell them for all it's worth. It's amazing how Oyedepo got to find out about this while mingling with area boys in Ota. Just imagine if he didn't come out to vote on that faithful day.

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by CodeTemplar: 1:22am On May 21, 2019
The part where the VC rejected the gift of an expensive car reminds me of something that happened. Some about-to-graduate students felt the need to appreciate him then as a departmental lecturer, and decided that since he was a "big boy" or very comfortable financially, they bought him a small but presentable gift of about 4k-5k. Dude rejected their gift and told them it is more blessed to give than to receive.

If he had accepted such an expensive gift from the Danny Owolo guy, only God knows what would have become of him now. Though intelligent, he was too trusting in this matter. Hope he learns.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by CodeTemplar: 1:27am On May 21, 2019
Most IT related theft cases are always perpetrated by insiders trusted with the system.
I saw one of almost N12 billion not up to a year ago involving someone I had worked with compromising a system he was trusted with.

CU truly sanwo Danny here . . . omo ri owo, omo je owo enterprise limited. Askari toun gba soft paper.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by CodeTemplar: 1:35am On May 21, 2019
HigherEd:
The idiot actually renting an helicopter to travel to ota is the most ridiculous part of this whole scandal.

They need to confiscate all his properties and sell them for all it's worth. It's amazing how Oyedepo got to find out about this while mingling with area boys in Ota. Just imagine if he didn't come out to vote on that faithful day.
You know ill gotten wealth has a way of loosening the connection between the brain and the fingers. Dude was flying helicopter from Lagos to Ota like he is an important fellow billed for an important event.

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by CodeTemplar: 1:59am On May 21, 2019
Info Tech just like witchcraft always involves a trusted fellow victimizing the one trusting hiim/her. They are also wireless in nature and soft touch oriented.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by HigherEd: 6:39am On May 21, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Most IT related theft cases are always perpetrated by insiders trusted with the system.
I saw one of almost N12 billion not up to a year ago involving someone I had worked with compromising a system he was trusted with.

CU truly sanwo Danny here . . . omo ri owo, omo je owo enterprise limited. Askari toun gba soft paper.
grin grin grin this guy for buy PJ very soon o. The idea of the payment platform was actually awesome. It meant you could pay for a whole range of things in the comfort of your residence. But the idea is mostly doomed now because of the carelessness of the management.
Dickson Nsofor a CU grad runs a multi billion naira payment platform with a lot of inputs from cyber security folks(probably firms). If they had reached out to firms that work with his own company they could have averted this sort of calamity.

4 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by HigherEd: 6:44am On May 21, 2019
CodeTemplar:

You know ill gotten wealth has a way of loosening the connection between the brain and the fingers. Dude was flying helicopter from Lagos to Ota like he is an important fellow billed for an important event.
The guy must have really suffered in life. He so much transformed chei. Some of his friends were asking him to even run for politics and it seems the guy liked the idea.

14 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by ivolt: 9:43am On May 21, 2019
This fool had an opportunity that many will never have, yet he resorted to fraud.
Some brainless and lazy yahoo boys blame unemployment when they have no
useful skills.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by soberdrunk(m): 9:44am On May 21, 2019
How dull can one person be, person way suppose lay low milk enough and jejely relocate to one comfortable country with no extradition agreements. The story sef nor add up, how can some that works for you on "100k salary" give you "11 million naira" car gift and you nor suspect anything? angry If you ask me, they should leave him for God since nah Christian institution.... sad

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Pabloosas(m): 9:45am On May 21, 2019
Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Auxtin85(m): 9:46am On May 21, 2019
sdlkfg:

videos,diagrams and pictures below

[b][/b]

You nor go make heaven at all

2 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by superlanny(m): 9:46am On May 21, 2019
When a scammer has been scammed, I don't see anything wrong in what the guy did abeg, to show the level of scam cu is, they didn't even notice. Their business abeg.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by helinues: 9:46am On May 21, 2019
How is it possible to have diverted N180m for years without Vc knowing?

The Vc is not telling the truth

5 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Kaxmytex(m): 9:47am On May 21, 2019
angry

1 Like

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by MAXIMAL123(m): 9:47am On May 21, 2019
ok
Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by lexy2014: 9:47am On May 21, 2019
HigherEd:

He was smart enough 2 steal but he wasn't smart enough 2 lay low. Helicopter of all things. Indeed, d guy is an idiot

41 Likes

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by BlackfireX: 9:47am On May 21, 2019
Just ordinary 180 million you are shouting fraud....

Shiooooor.

1 Like

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by ebuka10box(m): 9:48am On May 21, 2019
My people this life hard oooooo!!! I think say God do butter my bread by giving me one foreign babe, u know all these half caste color na .i think say I don arrive oooo, say I no need do yahoo before I buy Benz . This babe dey call me sugar, I dey call her honey ,na so our love strong oooo. Problem come start when I notice say she no from America or France oooo, she from malabor and her mama from chad, dem dey beg for a living sef. Now the girl come tell me say make we marry ,say our children go dey beg for us dey bring money we go save travel go Sierra leone go do picnic . I almost commit suicide oooo by hanging but I put the rope for waist sha, na nice experience sha cause e come be like I dey janglover. Oya I try drink sniper but I hear say na bitter death so I rinse d cup then pour the sniper away come put sugar and milk, sniper residue suppose dey d cup na but I no gree die but the tea sweet sha.... Oya yesterday I think say oluwa don pick my call, one number call me say I don win 2million for one mtn programme. I shout tire ehhh,even order drinks sef on credit . When I use my mumsi number call d mtn number wey call me.......see Wetin I hear for background ::::: Biko su akpu (pound fufu ) , kam me ofe akpu(make I do akpu soup), I come dey hear when the man dey shout hold that goat oooooo, dis new maga go still drop more goats Maka Odika owu ewu.... Wait na me this man dey call goat, which one be akpu soup again na......y this life hard like this sef

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Kendumazy(m): 9:49am On May 21, 2019
You see why some people are meant to be employees for life. Even, if it's his money. obviously, that's how he will be lavishing the money. Oyedepo cool headed attitude enable him to unravel the shit.

This should be an eye opener to most coys using such payment platform.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Nobody: 9:49am On May 21, 2019
hmmm
Re: Daniel Owolo, Covenant University N180M Fraud: What Actually Transpired by Bizibi(m): 9:50am On May 21, 2019
This is annoying.....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctor Gets 4-year Jailtime For Accidentally Killing His Daughter. / Assault: Seun Kuti Apologised, Gave Cop ₦‎12,000 To Repair Vehicle, Police Say / 2 Female Armed Robbers Arrested In Kogi Along With Others. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.