Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit (647 Views)

Mbappe Says Messi 'had To Win' Ballon D'or After World Cup Glory / Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) / "Messi Should Be Banned Until Fifa Proves He Is Human" – Iran Coach Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Newsblenda(m): 9:11am On May 21, 2019
Kylian Mbappe says Lionel Messi should win Ballon d'Or despite Champions League exit

The results of the 2018 Ballon d'Or caused huge controversy.

Luka Modric was the surprise winner of the award, finally breaking the decade-long duopoly of Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi.

To the horror of many, the Argentine was only named the fifth best player in the world.

It felt like a reaction against the accolade's tendency to reward goalscorers, with Modric recognised for his role in helping Croatia reach the World Cup final and winning the Champions League with Real Madrid.

Now attention is already turning to who will win the trophy this time around.

Messi is the standout contender courtesy of his superb displays in the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was impressive in the group stages against PSV Eindhoven, Tottenham Hotspur, and Inter Milan.

It was in the knockout stages, though, when he really came alive, first ruthlessly putting Manchester United to the sword before orchestrating a masterclass in the semi-final first leg against Liverpool.

That was where his majestic brilliance came to an end.

The forward could do nothing about the Reds' stunning comeback at Anfield, which means that he'll end a fourth successive season without a Champions League winners' medal.

That shouldn't dampen his chances too much, but the Ballon d'Or is so often decided on silverware - though he has just lifted La Liga once again.

Among his biggest advocates is Kylian Mbappe, who was speaking after winning Ligue 1 Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year, and being named in the French top flight's Team of the Year.

When the question was put to him, he responded:

"Messi. Despite the elimination, it does not change anything.

"He is the number one.

"He has shown he was the best player this year. This year will take us up to December but I'm not worried about him."

The Barcelona talisman ended the campaign on a positive note with a brace against Eibar, goals which took his total tally for the season past the 50-mark for the sixth time in his career. It defies belief.

Messi and Ronaldo are currently on par with five Ballon d'Ors apiece - so 2019 could well be the decider.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.newsblenda.com/post/football/mbappe-says-lionel-messi-should-win-ballon-dor-despite-champions-league-exit.html

Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Mariangeles(f): 9:26am On May 21, 2019
Mbappe should be slapped !
Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Nbote(m): 9:26am On May 21, 2019
Na only CR7 fans think and believe otherwise.. They'll soon come and tell U how d winner has to b from Liverpool forgetting Tottenham are also in d final
Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by MJBOLT: 9:53am On May 21, 2019
the only person who deserves a SLAP is you grin
Mariangeles:
Mbappe should be slapped !

1 Like

Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Mariangeles(f): 9:57am On May 21, 2019
MJBOLT:
the only person who deserves a SLAP is you grin

Why am I not surprised ? grin
Na dis hand you want take marry me abi ? When you fit kill me for house because of Messi grin
Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by MJBOLT: 10:00am On May 21, 2019
i will only marry you so you can cook delicious meals for me while i watch messi play football grin

Mariangeles:
Why am I not surprised ? grin
Na dis hand you want to marry me abi ? When you fit kill me for house because of Messi grin

2 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Mariangeles(f): 10:16am On May 21, 2019
MJBOLT:
i will only marry you so you can cook delicious meals for me while i watch messi play football grin

Thunder fire you there !!! grin grin grin

I have a better idea...how about we both watch the match where Messi performs woefully, while the food gets burnt ? grin
How about that ? grin

1 Like

Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by Nobody: 10:29am On May 21, 2019
Mariangeles:

I have a better idea...how about we both watch the match where Messi performs woefully, while the food gets burnt ? grin
How about that ? grin

You will still end up getting slapped for having the food burnt

2 Likes

Re: Mbappe Says Lionel Messi Should Win Ballon D'or Despite Champions League Exit by MJBOLT: 10:40am On May 21, 2019
you want to serve me burnt food?

Mariangeles:

How about that ? grin

(1) (Reply)

1960tips Antics,beware / Champions League Team Of The Season / >>>Come In For Some REAL FOOTBALL NEWS And Rumors<<<

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.