Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development (4050 Views)

Indonesia Conducts First Commercial Flight Using Palm Oil-blended Jet Fuel / 80 Nigerians Deported From Indonesia; Prophet Denies He Caused Deportation; Nige / 80 Nigerians Deported From Indonesia For Spraying Money On Pastor Odumeje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 10:12am On May 21, 2019
This article was published in 28 September 2010, or almost a decade ago. But now it seems like the gap of the development between the two countries get wider.

How Indonesia overtook Nigeria
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-11399866

I had never before been to Jakarta, the chaotic and teeming capital of the sprawling Indonesian archipelago.

But, as the plane dodged in and out between the clouds, there it lay below. And just as I had been told it would, it looked like my former home - Nigeria.

"Indonesia and Nigeria?" I'd protested to the friend who first suggested the comparison to me some weeks earlier.

"They're 7,000 miles apart. One's Africa, one's Asia. There's no comparison to make."

It was late 2003, and I was flying in from Singapore - a smart, modern Asian city, now two hours behind me to the north. I'd just been appointed Asia editor for the AFP news agency, after four years as its Nigeria bureau chief.

Lagos, my former home, is Africa's megacity, the country's hustling, bustling, trading capital. It is noisy, sometimes violent but pulsing with life.

From its crowded waterfront districts to the low-rise slums inland, it hums with activity; people making deals, making money, taking a chance and just getting by.

Looking down out of the plane's window, I took in the airport below.

"Ok, so it looks like Lagos
," I thought.

Then, emerging minutes later from the plane, I settled into my taxi for the long drive into the city centre.

When we stopped at a crossroads, crowds of noisy children emerged as they would in Nigeria to hawk their wares, offering us everything from spicy foods to soft drinks, typewriter covers to newspapers.

Both Indonesia and Nigeria, my guidebook told me, are the giants of their region, home to tens of millions of people. Both were formed as one nation by Europeans around 1900. Both were governed by the colonial system of "indirect rule". Both once made money from palm oil, and later discovered oil and gas.

At independence, the standards of living in the two countries were comparable on most measures. And since independence, both have suffered three decades of military misrule and corruption.

Nigeria and Indonesia in figures (2010)

Gross national income, per capita
Nigeria: $1,160
Indonesia: $2,010

Gross domestic product
Nigeria: $207.12 billion
Indonesia: $510.73 billion

Population below poverty line
Nigeria: 70%
Indonesia: 17.8%
Sources: UN, World Bank, CIA World Factbook

Jakarta today is almost on par with other East Asian cities like Seoul, Beijing and Taipei albeit still poorer than mentioned cities.

7 Likes

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by Investmentfreak: 10:47am On May 21, 2019
Really
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 8:14am On May 27, 2019
Jakarta's per capita income now stands at US$ 17,500 while the country's GDP per capita is US$ 4,000. The average salary in Jakarta now is US$ 11,000 annually https://www.payscale.com/research/ID/Location=Jakarta/Salary.

4 Likes

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by tylann: 6:34pm On May 30, 2019
Is Indonesia rich in oil like nigeria
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by obaaderemi: 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2019
rainmon:
This article was published in 28 September 2010, or almost a decade ago. But now it seems like the gap of the development between the two countries get wider.

Jakarta today is almost on par with other East Asian cities like Seoul, Beijing and Taipei albeit still poorer than mentioned cities.
Are you Indonesian?
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by Ugosample(m): 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2019
just imagine
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
tylann:
Is Indonesia rich in oil like nigeria

It used to be rich in oil, but now more than half of its oil consumption are imported.
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 6:48pm On Sep 01, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBkMFCI2a4

Jakarta vs Singapore

Singapore is still way ahead of Jakarta, but it can catch up due to higher growth �
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2019
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2019
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by ednut1(m): 1:33pm On Sep 28, 2019
We need to be recolonised
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by expertman(m): 6:03am On Oct 07, 2019
You mean OP this is really Indonesia?

No wonder getting a Canadian visa from there is so easy.

Thought it's used to be a shithole country worst than Nigeria?
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 2:48pm On Jan 09, 2020
Indonesia's Capital, Jakarta Bans Single-Use Plastic Bags From Markets and Malls
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/01/07/world/asia/07reuters-indonesia-environment-plastic.html

The new regulation stipulates that shopkeepers and stallholders should provide environmentally-friendly carrier bags in future and the penalties for violations would range from written warnings, to fines of anywhere between $360 and $1,800, and finally suspension or termination of trading permits.

The forms of plastic banned in the regulation include latex, thermoplastic and polyethylene.

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by odinga1of: 2:57pm On Jan 09, 2020
Forget all that high rise edifice.
Hungry de kpi dia citizens
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 3:20pm On Jan 09, 2020
In Indonesia, poverty based on the national poverty line dropped below 10 per cent in 2019 with the value of the poverty line was set up at USD 140 a month for a family of four. It means if your family spends less than USD 140 a month, your family will be considered as poor.

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by tck2000(m): 1:10am On Jan 10, 2020
wow
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 4:15pm On Dec 07, 2020
Surabaya, Indonesia's second largest city

Population: 2.9 million

GDP Nominal: US$ 41.2 billion

Per Capita Income: US$ 14,200

Surabaya Juanda International Airport is certified as a 3-Star Regional Airport by Skytrax. In 2019, it served 21 million passengers

Tanjung Perak Port is the world's 47th largest container port with total annual container throughput was 3,865,646 teu in 2018.

Surabaya's university, Airlangga University is ranked #521-530 in QS Global World Rankings 2021.

It also has one of the longest bridges in the region.

Its tallest building is One Icon Residence with 52 floors (215 meters)

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2020
Surabaya will be very beautiful every year end as the tabebuia plants will be blossoming!

1 Like

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by Dollywood(m): 7:11am On Dec 08, 2020
Looks like almost all countries are better than Nigeria now. We are just moving backward economically. Jeez.

1 Like

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by Cousin9999: 8:34am On Dec 08, 2020
Indonesia is a popular resource for human trafficking and domestic labor. All throughout the rest of Asia you find Indonesian housekeepers.
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 11:46am On Dec 08, 2020
Cousin9999:
Indonesia is a popular resource for human trafficking and domestic labor. All throughout the rest of Asia you find Indonesian housekeepers.

Indonesia is far from being the source for human trafficking, not even close.

As for the domestic labor, due to its rapid growing economy, since 2015 Indonesia has banned its people to work as domestic workers in more than 20 countries.

Indonesia is not even among the world's top remittance recipients.

1 Like

Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by Cousin9999: 11:54am On Dec 08, 2020
rainmon:

Indonesia is far from being the source for human trafficking, not even close.

As for the domestic labor, due to its rapid growing economy, since 2015 Indonesia has banned its people to work as domestic workers in more than 20 countries.

Indonesia is not even among the world's top remittance recipients.

The rest of Asia only knows of Indonesians as house slaves. People from a thriving economy generally don't jump at the chance to be a servant, and they definitely wouldn't go to toilets like China to do it if they did.
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
Cousin9999:

The rest of Asia only knows of Indonesians as house slaves. People from a thriving economy generally don't jump at the chance to be a servant, and they definitely wouldn't go to toilets like China to do it if they did.

That's a matter of perception and stereotype, but it would not change the fact that Indonesia's economy is thriving, the member of trillion dollar economy and G20.

Our Africa is also misunderstood as poverty-stricken, full of corruption, and always at war. But is that true?
Re: Lesson from Indonesia's economic and social development by rainmon(f): 7:31am On Dec 20, 2020
Asia unicorns: A list to watch

Asia Pacific is home to over one-third of start-up unicorns in the world. A unicorn is a start-up company with a valuation of at least $1 billion. According to data from CB Insight, there are over 400 unicorns worldwide – 140 of which are found in Asia Pacific.

The number of unicorns in Asia is growing exponentially. In 2018, the number rocketed to 115 companies, and hit 140 by the end of September, 2019.

https://www.asiafundmanagers.com/int/asia-unicorns-a-list-to-watch-2019/

(1) (2) (Reply)

PhD In Canada / Why Are There No Affluent Black Communities In The UK Unlike The US? / How To Get To Oshodi From Ikorodu And Then From Oshodi To Ijebu-ode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.