Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,476 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:07 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (953462 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 9:27am On Jul 17, 2017
shortgun:

Oga don't post links here to decieve anyone.
The link you posted is talking about a recall of about 250,000 2008 -2011 C-class.(a recall is a good thing)
That's clearly not the car d man wants to buy.
You still have not given us proofs.....try again.

Well we are at least in agreement that Mercedes C Class cars have been recalled due to design flaws, and your evidence of earlier models catching fire, due to this same issue, will be posted here in the next couple of days, at which point my google researcher's fee will be due and payable by you, whether or not you tender your apology to me for being mistaken in your claim that NO Mercedes C Class cars EVER rolled off the assembly line with design flaws that could result in vehicle fires.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 11:23am On Jul 17, 2017
Jakumo:

Well we are at least in agreement that Mercedes C Class cars have been recalled due to design flaws, and your evidence of earlier models catching fire, due to this same issue, will be posted here in the next couple of days, at which point my google researcher's fee will be due and payable by you, whether or not you tender your apology to me for being mistaken in your claim that NO Mercedes C Class cars EVER rolled off the assembly line with design flaws that could result in vehicle fires.
Someone wants to get a 2002 C-class, he wants to know d pros and cons of a 2002 C-class kompressor
You posted links about trunk fires for 2008-2011 C-class.... How does that relate with the car the man wants to buy?
I think you should apologise for posting wrong information and even supporting it with unrelated links here.
All C-classes are not the same, I believe u should know this....even the same year models are different not to talk of different years models with almost 6 year gap.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2017
shortgun:

Someone wants to get a 2002 C-class, he wants to know d pros and cons of a 2002 C-class kompressor
You posted links about trunk fires for 2008-2011 C-class.... How does that relate with the car the man wants to buy?
I think you should apologise for posting wrong information and even supporting it with unrelated links here.
All C-classes are not the same, I believe u should know this....even the same year models are different not to talk of different years models with almost 6 year gap.

Ok no need to get upset, Ogaawa ShortFuse. We are all Merc drivers in this thread, and minor disagreements over engine size and reliability can be thrashed out with no hard feelings, even when perhaps one of the opinions expressed contained a minor inaccuracy.

Personally I would never drive a car powered by a puny little 4-cylinder lawn-mower engine, but hey, if that is the man's preference, no problemo, and no grudge is held by this V8 Merc purist.

I feel no need to apologize to anyone, over the suggestion that my statements regarding dates of manufacture of the defective cars were off by a year or two, and I am sure that the guy requesting information about the W203 C Class will take no offense to hearing my opinion, even if there may be a minor inaccuracy therein, so hang loose, Bro, and go with da flow.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17, 2017
Jakumo:

Ok no need to get upset, Ogaawa ShortFuse. We are all Merc drivers in this thread, and minor disagreements over engine size and reliability can be thrashed out with no hard feelings, even when one of the opinions expressed contained a minor inaccuracy.

Personally I would never drive a car powered by a puny little 4-cylinder lawn-mower engine, but hey, if that is the man's preference, no problemo, and no grudge is held by this V8 Merc purist.

I feel no need to apologize to anyone, over the suggestion that my statements regarding dates of manufacture of the defective cars were off by a year or two, and I am sure that the guy requesting information about the W203 C Class will take no offense to hearing my opinion, even if there may be a minor inaccuracy therein, so hang loose, Bro, and go with da flow.

I ain't beefing bro....just trying to correct d anomaly in ur post.
Thank God we have come to an agreement.
We all have our different needs when it comes to cars we want to own.....just like u, I crave power, I won't buy a 4 cylinder Benz no matter d nomenclature at the same time I won't discourage anyone who wants to own one.
Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2017
shortgun:

I ain't beefing bro....just trying to correct d anomaly in ur post.
Thank God we have come to an agreement.
We all have our different needs when it comes to cars we want to own.....just like u, I crave power, I won't buy a 4 cylinder Benz no matter d nomenclature at the same time I won't discourage anyone who wants to own one.
Peace.

Good to hear that you are one of the discerning few that recognizes the importance of raw horsepower that can only be delivered by a V8 motor, and preferably a Mercedes V8 ha ha. Safe driving, and steady as she goes, as you roll along the highway of life.

Over and out for now.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Damolux01(m): 11:24pm On Jul 17, 2017
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2017
hello all...pls as a die hard fan of benz and its old models,i intend getting the vboot coupe.pls anyone shud help me about the maintainance and reliability.tnks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by parrotibaba(m): 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2017
How much can I get the 2009 mercedes c200 kompressor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
Aaaaarghmed:
hello all...pls as a die hard fan of benz and its old models,i intend getting the vboot coupe.pls anyone shud help me about the maintainance and reliability.tnks

The W124 Mercedes E Class saloon car family, known in Nigeria as the "V-Boot" Benz, are reliable cars, but if you reside in Nigeria AND do not have a means to buy repair parts for these old cars directly from Europe or the USA, you will be stuck using junkyard scrap parts to try and keep such an old car on the road.

I own a 1994 E420, with the stock 4.2 liter V8, and the car is brutally fast when I stomp on the loud pedal. Being such a comparatively light vehicle, that small V8 does a reasonable job of propelling the car with authority, which for me is the most important consideration with respect to ANY car that I intend to use.

In Nigeria, these cars are dirt cheap due to their old age, and you can pick one up for far less money than the cost of a new motorcycle, HOWEVER, Nigerian motorists being the cheapskates that they are, you will ONLY find these cars with puny little 4-cylinder engines that are woefully under-powered for ANY vehicle, unless you happen to value fuel savings over performance.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by DaimlerBen(m): 4:59pm On Jul 18, 2017
Jakumo:

The W124 Mercedes E Class saloon car family, known in Nigeria as the "V-Boot" Benz, are reliable cars, but if you reside in Nigeria AND do not have a means to buy repair parts for these old cars directly from Europe or the USA, you will be stuck using junkyard scrap parts to try and keep such an old car on the road.

I own a 1994 E420, with the stock 4.2 liter V8, and the car is brutally fast when I stomp on the loud pedal. Being such a comparatively light vehicle, that small V8 does a reasonable job of propelling the car with authority, which for me is the most important consideration with respect to ANY car that I intend to use.

In Nigeria, these cars are dirt cheap due to their old age, and you can pick one up for far less money than the cost of a new motorcycle, HOWEVER, Nigerian motorists being the cheapskates that they are, you will ONLY find these cars with puny little 4-cylinder engines that are woefully under-powered for ANY vehicle, unless you happen to value fuel savings over performance.
Did the E420 ever come in manual transmission, whether in 124 or 210 guise?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Did the E420 ever come in manual transmission, whether in 124 or 210 guise?

The W124 Mercedes E420 rolled off the assembly line with a standard automatic transmission, but manual gearbox version was evidently produced as well in much smaller numbers, though I have never set eyes on such a rare beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W124

The flagship of this marque is of course the fabled E500, which was manufactured in a one-off collaboration between Mercedes and Porche engineers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500_E

If you spot a W124 Mercedes E500 in ANY condition today, buy it quick. Say no more.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by DaimlerBen(m): 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2017
Jakumo:

The W124 Mercedes E420 rolled off the assembly line with a standard automatic transmission, but manual transmission was evidently produced as well in much smaller numbers, though I have never set eyes on such a rare beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W124

The flagship of this marque is of course the fabled E500, which was manufactured in a one-off collaboration between Mercedes and Porche engineers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500_E

If you spot a W124 Mercedes E500 in ANY condition today, buy it quick. Say no more.
I can only dream. cry
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 6:34pm On Jul 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:

I can only dream. cry

Rumor has it that former Nigerian military president Babangida purchased a sizable FLEET of brand new W124 Mercedes E500 saloons, for distribution among numerous traditional chiefs and political bigwigs throughout the nation back in the late 1980s, so there may well be a few non-running W124 Mercedes E500s quietly gathering dust in the forgotten overgrown corners of old-money estates, waiting to be sniffed out by the hounds, and haggled over, perhaps.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 7:34am On Jul 19, 2017
Jakumo:

Rumor has it that former Nigerian military president Babangida purchased a sizable FLEET of brand new W124 Mercedes E500 saloons, for distribution among numerous traditional chiefs and political bigwigs throughout the nation back in the late 1980s, so there may well be a few non-running W124 Mercedes E500s quietly gathering dust in the forgotten overgrown corners of old-money estates, waiting to be sniffed out by the hounds, and haggled over, perhaps.

I like what I am seeing.
Wow
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 8:42am On Jul 19, 2017
pls which one is better to use in nigeria here the manual or automatic...thanks
Jakumo:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by mike070: 8:58am On Jul 19, 2017
Pls guys how much is d engine of a 2003 e320 v6. Attached is a pic of d engine. How much is d gear box too

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 9:56am On Jul 19, 2017
Aaaaarghmed:
pls which one is better to use in nigeria here the manual or automatic...thanks

All the W124 Mercedes cars I have ever seen have been equipped with automatic transmissions, which are for the most part extremely reliable. My preference would have been for a manual gearbox, but Mercedes only ever produced them in very limited numbers for the W124, primarily for the European market, and never for the V8 powered old vintage Mercs that I drive exclusively.

In short, virtually all running W124 Mercedes cars that you find in Nigeria today, are likely be four cylinder engine variants, with an automatic gearbox.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Autopartz: 9:57am On Jul 19, 2017
The cost of the Mercedes Benz E320 v6 engine is 160k, while that of the gearbox is 85k.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by solhenawo: 10:32am On Jul 19, 2017
Please what is the price of the following items-
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 bumper (sport edition)
2006 Mercedes Benz right side fender
2006 Mercedes Benz grill
2006 Mercedes Benz hood ( bonnet)
2006 Mercedes Benz right head lamps.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alexgray(m): 11:50am On Jul 19, 2017
Nice topic.

So far, how would you rate the overall performance (handling, drive, braking comfort etc) with that of a Japmobile?

What engine type is your car, as in size, cylinder configuration? It may be a Mercedes Benz, but I still believe Audi has taken the reins from the three-pointed star.  Not many Mercedes came with AWD, unless you stepped up to an SUV. BMW still offer AWD in the 325 / 328 / 330 / 525 / 528 / 530i models, though mostly limited to Tourere. All Audi models, bar the A2, are available as AWD (Quattro).

I'd love to see your C-class perform against an Audi A4 Quattro in the wet, hehehe!
 grin

AWD or Quattro,i can confidently tell u cannot match 4Matic...the mercedes. E class,C class,S class,Cls,Cla are few of the 4Matic sedans which u might wanna refer to as AWD..
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by parrotibaba(m): 9:41pm On Jul 19, 2017
parrotibaba:
How much can I get the 2009 mercedes c200 kompressor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Autopartz: 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2017
solhenawo:
Please what is the price of the following items-
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 bumper (sport edition)
2006 Mercedes Benz right side fender
2006 Mercedes Benz grill
2006 Mercedes Benz hood ( bonnet)
2006 Mercedes Benz right head lamps.

Bumper is about 75k
Front Grille is about 32k
Fender is about 15k
Bonnet is about 75k
Head lamps is about 65k (chargeable with charger)

Contact us by the email in our signature for more enquiries.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ibrahimistic: 7:41am On Jul 20, 2017
Good Day every1. Pls I want to buy a Mecedes Benz CLK 200 or 230. Pls someone that has experience with the car should pls advice me on its reliability, fuel consumption and maintenance cost. God bless you as you help.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 8:01am On Jul 20, 2017
Ibrahimistic:
Good Day every1. Pls I want to buy a Mecedes Benz CLK 200 or 230. Pls someone that has experience with the car should pls advice me on its reliability, fuel consumption and maintenance cost. God bless you as you help.

The CLK is car of sublime beauty, Ibrahim, but why settle for a painfully slow 4-cylinder engine, when you can buy a CLK500 with a V8 motor, for virtually the same price. This is a very lightweight car, so your gas mileage will not go up that much if you go for the V8 option.

By the way, if you buy a CLK, to avoid design problems in the engine, buy ONLY CLKs made in the years 2003, 2004, 2008 and 2009.

Feast your eyes on this CLK 550, from the year 2009.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Lifestruggle(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
Good day everyone. I'm using w203, c240 2003 model. I'm having issues with my m112 engine. It smokes(white) on start up. My mechanic checked d engine and said the piston rings and oil seals are bad. Try fixing it, after the fixes...I'm still having same problem.I discussed it with another mechanic, he suggested I should get new engine.I'm tired of working on the engine. My work keeps me busy. I just want to know if getting new engine will keep me off mechanic and again where can I get direct Germany m112 engine.complete engine and what's d cost like. Please members help a poor buddy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Lifestruggle(m): 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2017
Lifestruggle:
Good day everyone. I'm using w203, c240 2003 model. I'm having issues with my m112 engine. It smokes(white) on start up. My mechanic checked d engine and said the piston rings and oil seals are bad. Try fixing it, after the fixes...I'm still having same problem.I discussed it with another mechanic, he suggested I should get new engine.I'm tired of working on the engine. My work keeps me busy. I just want to know if getting new engine will keep me off mechanic and again where can I get direct Germany m112 engine.complete engine and what's d cost like. Please members help a poor buddy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cooldragon: 5:59am On Jul 21, 2017
It's a beautiful car but you could try the 320, 350, 500 e.t.c... but if you want to go higher there are years with good reviews and in the 350 line there is a balance shaft issue(failure) within a certain number of them but you can check if the one you want to get falls withing the range of the affected ones thru your VIN.

They changed the transmission for some. from 5speed(722.6) to 7speed(722.9),the ones with the 7speed were problematic at the beginning but got better after some years.

Just use google and you will know the good ones and remember it's all about maintenance but i will advice you to go for CLK320(2003-2005) or CLK500(2003-2004) or CLK350(2008-2009){this years are safe from balance shaft failure and transmission issues}.

the CLK500(2003-2004) uses spring.

Jakumo:

The CLK is car of sublime beauty, Ibrahim, but why settle for a painfully slow 4-cylinder engine, when you can buy a CLK500 with a V8 motor, for virtually the same price. This is a very lightweight car, so your gas mileage will not go up that much if you go for the V8 option.

By the way, if you buy a CLK, to avoid design problems in the engine, buy ONLY CLKs made in the years 2003, 2004, 2008 and 2009.

Feast your eyes on this CLK 550, from the year 2009.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 7:37am On Jul 21, 2017
cooldragon:
It's a beautiful car but you could try the 320, 350, 500 e.t.c... but if you want to go higher there are years with good reviews and in the 350 line there is a balance shaft issue(failure) within a certain number of them but you can check if the one you want to get falls withing the range of the affected ones thru your VIN.

They changed the transmission for some. from 5speed(722.6) to 7speed(722.9),the ones with the 7speed were problematic at the beginning but got better after some years.

Just use google and you will know the good ones and remember it's all about maintenance but i will advice you to go for CLK320(2003-2005) or CLK500(2003-2004) or CLK350(2008-2009){this years are safe from balance shaft failure and transmission issues}.

the CLK500(2003-2004) uses spring.

Clearly you know the CLK family in and out, CoolDragon. The CLK500(2003-2004), and the CLK550 (2008-2009) are, in my opinion, the best V8 Mercedes cars in existence today, BECAUSE that monstrous rocket engine is crammed into such a light car, AND the car sits on standard springs and shock absorbers, instead of those hugely troublesome, and expensive-to-fix air suspension systems that are standard features in the suspensions of virtually ALL other Mercedes V8 cars made after the year 2000.

This car is one of the very few automotive designs whose rear end is so beautifully crafted, unlike so many other cars that look great from the front, and from the side, yet don't look so good from the back. Check out this masterpiece of German engineering, viewed from the back, as the missile flies past lesser mortals on the freeway, and vanishes into the horizon. The Eagle has landed.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 9:58am On Jul 21, 2017
Jakumo:

Clearly you know the CLK family in and out, CoolDragon. The CLK500(2003-2004), and the CLK550 (2008-2009) are, in my opinion, the best V8 Mercedes cars in existence today, BECAUSE that monstrous rocket engine is crammed into such a light car, AND the car sits on standard springs and shock absorbers, instead of those hugely troublesome, and expensive-to-fix air suspension systems that are standard features in the suspensions of virtually ALL other Mercedes V8 cars made after the year 2000.

This car is one of the very few automotive designs whose rear end is so beautifully crafted, unlike so many other cars that look great from the front, and from the side, yet don't look so good from the back. Check out this masterpiece of German engineering, viewed from the back, as the missile flies past lesser mortals on the freeway, and vanishes into the horizon. The Eagle has landed.

with all the V8s and those power, still not the fastest coupe of its time tongue

am at home come and beat me grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 10:10am On Jul 21, 2017
nurey:

with all the V8s and those power, still not the fastest coupe of its time tongue

am at home come and beat me grin

Of course there are many super cars that can dust the CLK, but for a poor palm-wine tapper like me, a CLK550 is more than enough to cruise the SoCal freeways with confidence, or when in Nigeria, to keep the kidnappers and banditos firmly in my rear view mirror, and getting smaller by the second.

As for street racing, I have never felt the urge to attempt it. I like to reserve the Big Horses for escape and evasion, rather than for show and competition.

With that said, I am sure your Ferrari is much faster than my relic, though I am certain that I still mount more fresh poon-tang than you do, averaged on a weekly basis ha ha.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2017
Jakumo:

Of course there are many super cars that can dust the CLK, but for a poor palm-wine tapper like me, a CLK550 is more than enough to cruise the SoCal freeways with confidence, or when in Nigeria, to keep the kidnappers and banditos firmly in my rear view mirror, and getting smaller by the second.

As for street racing, I have never felt the urge to attempt it. I like to reserve the Big Horses for escape and evasion, rather than for show and competition.

With that said, I am sure your Ferrari is much faster than my relic, though I am certain that I still mount more fresh poon-tang than you do, averaged on a weekly basis ha ha.

Bad boy, go and marry grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 11:49am On Jul 21, 2017
nurey:

Bad boy, go and marry grin
#

Kai kai no pour san-sand for my garri. I command you in Jeeesus name.

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (543) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: Berachahrent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.