Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (236) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (964961 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 6:20am On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:

It wasn't fun to say the least, i fumbled with the bolt and spanner sizes. Trying different ones, it was hellish initially, my old boy laughed at my clumsiness.

DIY is a love affair....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 6:57am On Jul 28, 2019
weyreypey:

DIY is a love affair....

Mehn, mechanics dey try wahali! It's not easy playing with wrenches

Logobenz1:
wow,so sorry eddee.hooe you solved the heating issue?
For the love of Benz and the brotherhood,salud.
Meanwhile the babe I told you about don dey come around cheesy

E no get wer e reach. Na untop woman our problems start, na there dem go end! grin[b][/b]
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:09am On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:
Yeah, so a pretty complicated DIY was in the works yesterday (by my rookie standards). Three weeks ago, on a cold Saturday morning, I got into my car, started it and was ready to hit the nearest football field around 2 kms away, less than half way through the journey I noticed my temperature guage had neared 120c. Before I could say jack, it reverted to 85-95c (standard operating temperature for Benz's). I took no heed and thought my eyes were playing a quick one based on my runnings the last night.

Fast forward last weekend, I drove around heavily around the town for almost 5 hours with brief stops in typical stop-and-go traffic fashion. Left the car to monitor progress at a project site, on return drove it for less than 2 kms and I observed the guage climbing steadily from
50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120 - I was on a lonely 10km stretch and couldn't stop for any reason whatsoever - turned on the heat @ full blast and it slowed down to 110, but it kept flickering between 110—120c (wasn't slightly afraid of a burnt top, because I've read up a bit on the M112 engine and knew it could handle it for the short commute I was on.

Once i got to civilization, I stopped, grabbed a black bullet, then opened the bonnet, no heat coming from the radiator or hoses, no visible leakage. Had my doubts but I'm no professional, so I called engineers; Kingreign his number wasn't reachable, I proceeded to call Oluwaseunla he basically gave me a walk through and we isolated so many possibilities from radiator, water pump to coolant expansion tank. Leaving us with two possible causes. The hoses and the thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor/water switch. Its a high mileage car, the hoses were getting brittle and the thermostat has started to fail.. This wasn't obvious initially. (it's very ease to confirm if a radiator's fins are blocked or if your car's water pump is on its last legs, the thermostat is another thing entirely, you need time, patience and most importantly experience to measure temperature fluctuations even with the help of a scanner).

I proceeded to check my account balance, and it wasn't positive, so I continued hoping the god of weyreypey and the Benz or nothing family will come to my aid. I drove it that Saturday, Sunday, Monday no incident was recorded. Thermostat worked as required, opening and closing at the right temperatures - although it was now 90c - 100c (coolant temperature sensor had also seen better days). Then Tuesday morning, I had driven off to work, on my way back I noticed my guage move from 100c to 80C, stayed at 80C for 15 mins. I was in stop and go traffic, and for that time frame, the guage should have gone up to 100c, then back to 90c, with regards to the new operating procedure. Then it dawned on me, my thermostat was failing in an open state. Well, I was ready for the trade offs associated with this when 15 mins later, very close to my house, I noticed the guage rising from 80c to 120c in a matter of 3 mins or so. It has now failed in a closed state.

I drove in parked and slept well, got up the following morning called Logobenz dealer from PH for a quote on a brand new Bosch or Behr/Wahler thermostat as well as the complete hoses for the car, and a secondary air pump, his price and the one in Calabar was almost identical, so I called my plug at Clegg in Ojuelegba, and the rates were 30% lesser than the PH quotes and 35% lesser than the Calabar quotes.

So, the parts got here yesterday morning. I quickly used online resources on Benz world, Pelican Parts and Mercedes Medic to dismantle everything (easy part) - as usual I borrowed most of the tools from the Perkins Generator and my old boy's garage. (He's been fixing his Benz's by himself for the past 25 years).

I easily replaced the secondary air pump (broke the relay accidentally, so I'll source for one on Monday), thermostat replacement was a breeze. Couldn't remove the old water switch/temperature coolant sensor, spent over 2 hours and 30 mins in the hot sun, until my old boy took pity and helped me remove and replace it by oiling and greasing the stuck part. He proceeded to change the entire hoses. Filled up the coolant and bled the system, even got a new power steering pump for me after complaining to my deaf ears that the old one was groaning.

So, we tested everything, and there were no leaks. On my way back to my house, I noticed a malfunction on the screen (check coolant level), drove it like that, man cannot come and kill himself. When I got home, I opened the bonnet and traced the leak from the upper radiator hose and the return hose for the coolant expansion tank. Brethren, after soccer practice today, I reverted to using the old hose clamps/clips and everything has been fine over the past 6 hours or so.

Now one of my harman kardon speakers on the back door has bitten the dust - I'm looking for a professional to handle that (repairs not replacement).

Seems this is the last DIY I'll embark on, chai - the back pains no be here.

This is great to hear! Honestly wish I had the balls to fix my car myself but, unlike you, I'm rather averse to things that stress me and I don't think I'd have the endurance to persevere and see the whole thing through. Rather just give it to the professionals, tbh.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 8:28am On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:
Yeah, so a pretty complicated DIY was in the works yesterday (by my rookie standards). Three weeks ago, on a cold Saturday morning, I got into my car, started it and was ready to hit the nearest football field around 2 kms away, less than half way through the journey I noticed my temperature guage had neared 120c. Before I could say jack, it reverted to 85-95c (standard operating temperature for Benz's). I took no heed and thought my eyes were playing a quick one based on my runnings the last night.

Fast forward last weekend, I drove around heavily around the town for almost 5 hours with brief stops in typical stop-and-go traffic fashion. Left the car to monitor progress at a project site, on return drove it for less than 2 kms and I observed the guage climbing steadily from
50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120 - I was on a lonely 10km stretch and couldn't stop for any reason whatsoever - turned on the heat @ full blast and it slowed down to 110, but it kept flickering between 110—120c (wasn't slightly afraid of a burnt top, because I've read up a bit on the M112 engine and knew it could handle it for the short commute I was on.

Once i got to civilization, I stopped, grabbed a black bullet, then opened the bonnet, no heat coming from the radiator or hoses, no visible leakage. Had my doubts but I'm no professional, so I called engineers; Kingreign his number wasn't reachable, I proceeded to call Oluwaseunla he basically gave me a walk through and we isolated so many possibilities from radiator, water pump to coolant expansion tank. Leaving us with two possible causes. The hoses and the thermostat, and coolant temperature sensor/water switch. Its a high mileage car, the hoses were getting brittle and the thermostat has started to fail.. This wasn't obvious initially. (it's very ease to confirm if a radiator's fins are blocked or if your car's water pump is on its last legs, the thermostat is another thing entirely, you need time, patience and most importantly experience to measure temperature fluctuations even with the help of a scanner).

I proceeded to check my account balance, and it wasn't positive, so I continued hoping the God of weyreypey (which is Jehovah Shekinah) and the Benz or nothing family will come to my aid. I drove it that Saturday, Sunday, Monday no incident was recorded. Thermostat worked as required, opening and closing at the right temperatures - although it was now 90c - 100c (coolant temperature sensor had also seen better days). Then Tuesday morning, I had driven off to work, on my way back I noticed my guage move from 100c to 80C, stayed at 80C for 15 mins. I was in stop and go traffic, and for that time frame, the guage should have gone up to 100c, then back to 90c, with regards to the new operating procedure. Then it dawned on me, my thermostat was failing in an open state. Well, I was ready for the trade offs associated with this when 15 mins later, very close to my house, I noticed the guage rising from 80c to 120c in a matter of 3 mins or so. It has now failed in a closed state.

I drove in parked and slept well, got up the following morning called Logobenz dealer from PH for a quote on a brand new Bosch or Behr/Wahler thermostat as well as the complete hoses for the car, and a secondary air pump, his price and the one in Calabar was almost identical, so I called my plug at Clegg in Ojuelegba, and the rates were 30% lesser than the PH quotes and 35% lesser than the Calabar quotes.

So, the parts got here yesterday morning. I quickly used online resources on Benz world, Pelican Parts and Mercedes Medic to dismantle everything (easy part) - as usual I borrowed most of the tools from the Perkins Generator and my old boy's garage. (He's been fixing his Benz's by himself for the past 25 years).

I easily replaced the secondary air pump (broke the relay accidentally, so I'll source for one on Monday), thermostat replacement was a breeze. Couldn't remove the old water switch/temperature coolant sensor, spent over 2 hours and 30 mins in the hot sun, until my old boy took pity and helped me remove and replace it by oiling and greasing the stuck part. He proceeded to change the entire hoses. Filled up the coolant and bled the system, even got a new power steering pump for me after complaining to my deaf ears that the old one was groaning.

So, we tested everything, and there were no leaks. On my way back to my house, I noticed a malfunction on the screen (check coolant level), drove it like that, man cannot come and kill himself. When I got home, I opened the bonnet and traced the leak from the upper radiator hose and the return hose for the coolant expansion tank. Brethren, after soccer practice today, I reverted to using the old hose clamps/clips and everything has been fine over the past 6 hours or so.

Now one of my harman kardon speakers on the back door has bitten the dust - I'm looking for a professional to handle that (repairs not replacement).

Seems this is the last DIY I'll embark on, chai - the back pains no be here.
Fixed
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 8:29am On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:

Mehn, mechanics dey try wahali! It's not easy playing with wrenches

E no get wer e reach. Na untop woman our problems start, na there dem go end! grin[b][/b]

Take it as a form of exercise. Do you know that I use DIY as a form of relaxation?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 10:07am On Jul 28, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

This is great to hear! Honestly wish I had the balls to fix my car myself but, unlike you, I'm rather averse to things that stress me and I don't think I'd have the endurance to persevere and see the whole thing through. Rather just give it to the professionals, tbh.

Yeah bro, it's all fun and games until I break something. There are a lot of things I won't ever attempt to fix myself, suspension components are one (very stressful).
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kingreign(m): 2:43pm On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:

Yeah bro, it's all fun and games until I break something. There are a lot of things I won't ever attempt to fix myself, suspension components are one (very stressful).

Lol grin so sorry about the stress you had to go thru.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 4:03pm On Jul 28, 2019
kingreign:

Lol grin so sorry about the stress you had to go thru.

Baba, I dey learn work for wer you dey... Thanks for the offline support. I remain loyal
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kingreign(m): 4:34pm On Jul 28, 2019
Eddee:

Baba, I dey learn work for wer you dey... Thanks for the offline support. I remain loyal

Baba, leave matter, na brother we be.

I no go fit show that IV, rain plenty for here. Old age don catch me so I no fit drive for rain well like before.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2019
kingreign:

Baba, leave matter, na brother we be.

I no go fit show that IV, rain plenty for here. Old age don catch me so I no fit drive for rain well like before.

No wahala chief. I go drink on your behalf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Emperoh(m): 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2019
People,

Just got a W204, 2010. I just discovered my Comand screen is blank. It will pop out at start up, show the Benz logo and fold back in again. Radio and CD all work with good sound, but the display shows nothing. I am left with figuring things out using the multimedia display on the instrument cluster. Anyone knows how I can fix this thing out?

Secondly, while driving this morning, a message cam one the instrument screen, 'Check Engine Oil at Nexr Refueling'. What could this mean? Oil level seem ok temperature is just at the 90 degree mark too.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 2:09pm On Jul 31, 2019
Emperoh:
People,

Just got a W204, 2010. I just discovered my Comand screen is blank. It will pop out at start up, show the Benz logo and fold back in again. Radio and CD all work with good sound, but the display shows nothing. I am left with figuring things out using the multimedia display on the instrument cluster. Anyone knows how I can fix this thing out?

Secondly, while driving this morning, a message cam one the instrument screen, 'Check Engine Oil at Nexr Refueling'. What could this mean? Oil level seem ok temperature is just at the 90 degree mark too.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/439617-help-please-my-popup-navigation-display-went-black-open-close-option-working-ok.html

Check with a dip stick to be sure that you're not running your engine with the oil a quartz or two low. Let the car sit for a while on a flat surface before checking the oil level either using the instrument cluster or a traditional dipstick. I'm not ruling out the possibility of a sensor going bad, but Mercedes Benz V6 engines are notorious for burning oil.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Demolaeby: 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2019
I have adblue for people using Diesel Engine Cars and SUV. Call 08068825033. We can supply anywhere in the country

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by engrezenwa: 12:43am On Aug 03, 2019
Hello house,

I’m considering joining the benz family. I want to buy either a 2003 c class (4 cylinder) or a 2005 C230 kompressor.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two, and any issues to be expected from either of them.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:06pm On Aug 03, 2019
engrezenwa:
Hello house,

I’m considering joining the benz family. I want to buy either a 2003 c class (4 cylinder) or a 2005 C230 kompressor.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two, and any issues to be expected from either of them.

Save yourself the stress and buy a 2005 C320. That's the only W203 I can recommend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 9:03pm On Aug 03, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Save yourself the stress and buy a 2005 C320. That's the only W203 I can recommend.
Eyeing the E220 CDI what's your take
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2019
weyreypey:

Eyeing the E220 CDI what's your take

CDI.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 12:59am On Aug 04, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

CDI.
?? Meaning? Diesel powered
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sacx: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Care to state some reasons? And what should be the fuel consumption of C320 in relation to C240 and C230 kompressor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2019
sacx:

Care to state some reasons? And what should be the fuel consumption of C320 in relation to C240 and C230 kompressor?
C240 is slow. C230k engine just screams like being overworked. Balance is C320 power and fuel economy

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by syntax50: 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2019
Eddee:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/439617-help-please-my-popup-navigation-display-went-black-open-close-option-working-ok.html

Boss Eddee please what b ur position on this issue::::
My 2006 C230(W203) compressor has been said to be not working(4spearate guys here in uyo) and they all recommending i install a Peugeot 507/8 compressor, that it workx almost better than benz own based on different gas specx
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
Syntax50

Did you say Uyo? Kingreign abeg do for am wetin you do for me.

P.s this won't be cheap at all. Manual or automatic compressor - you're likely going to get a new condenser/dryer and expansion valve. First and foremost scan the AC unit, find someone in Uyo who has a Star or even a clone to rule out electrical faults.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kingreign(m): 6:21pm On Aug 06, 2019
@syntax50, call/chat 07034581213
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Buynowautos: 5:33pm On Aug 08, 2019
engrezenwa:
Hello house,

I have a fantastic C240 2003.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Buynowautos: 5:35pm On Aug 08, 2019
Eddee:
Syntax50

Did you say Uyo? Kingreign abeg do for am wetin you do for me.

P.s this won't be cheap at all. Manual or automatic compressor - you're likely going to get a new condenser/dryer and expansion valve. First and foremost scan the AC unit, find someone in Uyo who has a Star or even a clone to rule out electrical faults.

My C320 had AC issues after trying 2 different hands no luck. Then mostec did the magic going to 4months and my AC is ice cold.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Buynowautos: 5:37pm On Aug 08, 2019
Please where can I get lower arm, the ball joint of my C320 is making sounds and I feel vibration on top speed 120km/h even after wheel balancing and alignment
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Buynowautos: 5:40pm On Aug 08, 2019
weyreypey:

C240 is slow. C230k engine just screams like being overworked. Balance is C320 power and fuel economy

You can say that again. Been doing Ehailing for some few months now with C320 fuel consumption is just too superb. I dont know how a 3.2L engine 6cylinder can run on so little fuel it amazes me
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Demolaeby: 2:09pm On Aug 11, 2019
Demolaeby:
I have adblue for people using Diesel Engine Cars and SUV. Call 08068825033. We can supply anywhere in the country
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by raslim20(m): 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2019
Hi guys, been following this thread lately as I want to be a member of the Benz family, as I’m planning on getting GL Class 450, can someone please enlighten me more about this particular car
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by xpertriate(m): 11:34am On Aug 12, 2019
Hello house.
Mercedes c320 2005 urgently needed.
Direct Belgium or very clean and sound naija used.
Your response will be highly appreciated.. thanks guys
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 12:00pm On Aug 12, 2019
xpertriate:
Hello house.

Cc: Buynowautos
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Buynowautos: 1:09pm On Aug 12, 2019
xpertriate:
Hello house.

Contact me 08037350669

https://www.nairaland.com/5300464/clean-2005-mercedes-benz-c320

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.