Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (965149 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kabukabu50(m): 4:15am On Jan 16, 2011
slr 722 amg

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by german007(m): 1:31pm On Jan 16, 2011
@Kabukabu.

You're spot on!. The Z series were roadsters and not sports cars!. Roadsters and sports cars are two totally different classification of cars.

If you note, I stated that Bmw ceased production of the M1 in the early 80's, though there are rumours of a comeback.

The concept of the rumoured upcoming M1 is below.

Now lets wait and see if it will give your SLR 722 AMG a scare of it's life.

cool

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blapo(m): 10:57am On Jan 17, 2011
What do you categorize the MBenz R type as Minivan or SUV there is an argument about this, will like to know people's what does the sliding door in vehicle really indicates?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 17, 2011
good day ,kuntash & Siena
i hv recently observed a situation in my E-320 1996 model.
i recently had a fire incident as my ignition unit had a shortcircuit as described by the electrician and it affected the
dashboard and some wires which were changed.
since then wen im driving,i notice the car gets hot inside as if the heat being generated from the engine is being blown into the passenger compartment.
infact when im in hold ups it gets real bad and even hot air seems to be coming from the air vents,can u proffer any help cos im thinking of selling the car and going for a toyota.
pls useful suggestions wd be highly appreciated cos the engine of the car is soooo sound and i love wen it accelerates.
thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by german007(m): 11:34am On Jan 17, 2011
blapo:

What do you categorize the MBenz R type as Minivan or SUV there is an argument about this, will like to know people's what does the sliding door in vehicle really indicates?

THE MERCEDES R CLASS IS OFFICIALLY A FULL SIZE MPV. "MULTI PURPOSE VEHICLE" SIMILAR TO THE RENAULT ESPACE,  HONDA ODYSSEY AND VW SHARAN. THE SLIDING DOOR LARGELY INDICATES AND EXPRESSLY IMPLIES THIS.

MERCEDES CALL IT A "LUXURY MPV",  LETS TRY TO FOLLOW THEM.  grin  grin

IT POSESSES THE TYPICAL BOLDNESS AND ELEGANCE OF A MERCEDES BENZ AND HAS SOME PHYSICAL SIMILARITIES OF THE MERCEDES BENZ ML. UNDERNEATH, THE R-CLASS IS BASICALLY THE SOPHISTICATED CHASSIS OF AN ML.

The R-Class finest attribute is its spacious interior. It will comfortably take 8 people,

Unfortunately, if one was to import an R-CLASS, Nigerian Customs will probably evaluate the duty based on an SUV, not an MPV.  grin  grin.  (SUV'S ARE IN A MUCH HIGHER IMPORT DUTY BAND THAN MPV's).

IT'S A LOVELY MERC INDEED. MAYBE BMW NEEDS TO PRODUCE A RIVAL FOR IT.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blapo(m): 12:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
german007:

THE MERCEDES R CLASS IS OFFICIALLY A FULL SIZE MPV. "MULTI PURPOSE VEHICLE" SIMILAR TO THE RENAULT ESPACE,  HONDA ODYSSEY AND VW SHARAN. THE SLIDING DOOR LARGELY INDICATES AND EXPRESSLY IMPLIES THIS.

MERCEDES CALL IT A "LUXURY MPV",  LETS TRY TO FOLLOW THEM.  grin  grin

IT POSESSES THE TYPICAL BOLDNESS AND ELEGANCE OF A MERCEDES BENZ AND HAS SOME PHYSICAL SIMILARITIES OF THE MERCEDES BENZ ML. UNDERNEATH, THE R-CLASS IS BASICALLY THE SOPHISTICATED CHASSIS OF AN ML.

The R-Class finest attribute is its spacious interior. It will comfortably take 8 people,

Unfortunately, if one was to import an R-CLASS, Nigerian Customs will probably evaluate the duty based on an SUV, not an MPV.  grin  grin.  (SUV'S ARE IN A MUCH HIGHER IMPORT DUTY BAND THAN MPV's).

IT'S A LOVELY MERC INDEED. MAYBE BMW NEEDS TO PRODUCE A RIVAL FOR IT.

Thanks for ur explanation, you really clarify this issue, The Nigerian customs was the reason i had to ask for people's opinion.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
bump
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 1:14pm On Jan 17, 2011
bennygee:

i recently had a fire incident as my ignition unit had a shortcircuit as described by the electrician and it affected the
since then wen im driving,i notice the car gets hot inside as if the heat being generated from the engine is being blown into the passenger compartment.
infact when im in hold ups it gets real bad and even hot air seems to be coming from the air vents,can u proffer any help cos im thinking of selling the car and going for a toyota.
pls useful suggestions wd be highly appreciated cos the engine of the car is soooo sound and i love wen it accelerates.
thanks

Benny, I hope the electrician hasnt done something wrong there, however, as you can read from my posts, I am rather new to Mbenz and thrilled by its performance and ruggedness which appeared vague to me all these while thus I opened this thread, even though I am a Toyota person kinda; However, when I can get Siena online I would refer him here, its like he's been quite busy lately.

From ur problem description it appears the partition between the engine section and the interior was damaged as a result of the fire, I would advice u look at it from the engine side - particularly where the vacuum hoses or heater core hose protrudes out out from the interior, these are likely area vulnerable to leaks etc, if you see any leak try seal them on ur own first and confirm,

Meanwhile, someone was referring me to a Benz workshop(mech and electrician) around Ilupeju or so, I hope to get the correct details and post them here as well.

as per selling?, hmmmmm are u sure u can cope with the difference? lol

all the best
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 17, 2011
thanks for ur reply even as i still look forward to ur help wit contacting Siena and the mechanics address at Ilupeju.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kabukabu50(m): 1:10am On Jan 18, 2011
bennygee:

thanks

Well I am not sure if your ignition problem is connected to your heat problem.W210s are known to have a climate control issue which causes hot air to blow out of the vents constantly, its the duovalve which needs to be cleaned or replaced.It seems you had to get a new wiring harness which is also pretty common for 90s Mercs , hope your mechanic did it properly because any mistakes in connecting the harness would cause new problems, anyway read up on the heat issue here,
http://www.eclassbenz.com/2010/02/how-to-diagnose-air-conditioning-malfunctions/
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kabukabu50(m): 1:22am On Jan 18, 2011
bennygee:

thanks

Also just as kuntash said,check your vacumm hoses including the heater hose,there may be leaks or may be ruptured,or just needs the duovalve cleaning, sign up on Benzworld,they are many useful anwsers you could get there, benzworld.com.PS, I wouldn't just buy another car because of the issue, heck even new cars have problems too.Just get a good tech to work on the car, that Benz would not have caught fire, the mechanic should have been able to see that your previous engine harness was frayed and degrading,which is when you should replace it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hypertech(m): 12:41am On Jan 19, 2011
Hi all, @Siena, Kuntash, this is one amazing thread, with remarkable contributions so far. I drive a W202 C280 I6 US 'specs'. The drive quality is excellent. In a whole year, of everyday use in Lagos, it wasn't taken for repairs save servicing. It's true that the parts for the US specs are relatively more expensive than the Euros, (so avoid bumping into stuffs) but its overall maintenance is really affordable, arguably cheaper than the Japs of the same model year.
For new Daimler converts, the or my C280 'over delivers' in bends even on high speed. It is high on reliability, and the luxury C-Class come with full options, a complete car.
If you notice a black C280 that does the F1 thing every morning on Agg Mtr Road, it's cos it's a MB not a Jap, Lol

More xperiences & pics will be posted soon.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:05am On Jan 19, 2011
"If you notice a black C280 that does the F1 thing every morning on Agg Mtr Road, it's cos it's a MB not a Jap, Lol" grin grin grin grin

great! thats what I noticed O my brother, meanwhile talking of the straight 6-cylinder- 280, how is ur MPG economy like?

I know its almost impossible to obtain the recommended mpg in naija cos of the kinda pertrol sold here- I might be wrong but I am very sure fuel here burns faster and perhaps incorrect octane rating.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by hypertech(m): 9:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
I really have not taken the time to calculate the MPG economy my C280 delivers cos i noticed it isnt as thirsty as i expected and compared to my last 4Runner. I'll post the info once I do the maths.
BTW, I dont understand why many Nigerians think only the rich old men own and drive Benz cars. Well, I luv to drive MBs for their reliability and comfort.
For me MBs all the way, cos they are not just cars but computers on wheels.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:58am On Jan 24, 2011
@ hypertech, cant agree with u less bro, sometimes I feel silly for missing out all these while, grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by foonshur(m): 6:08pm On Jan 25, 2011
pls guys hw much does a (tokunbo) ML320 96 model costs
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:50am On Jan 31, 2011
foonshur:

pls guys hw much does a (tokunbo) ML320 96 model costs

I am sure some sellers in the forum does have one sale, just check some of the many threads, goodluck
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by DECOtech(m): 12:13am On Feb 03, 2011
Siena sounds like a hot-rod engineer and a street racer. we need moer like-minds on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 12:45pm On Mar 18, 2011
Siena, et al the Benz gurus in d house, I need assistance on my AC, it starts and goes off, and rpm falls heavily especially on idle.

When I switch on the AC, sometimes it picks for a while, like 1min on idle and later goes off, When the AC fan starts, it drags down the rpm so much that it appears its gonna go off.

I suspect electrical problem cos before now, the AC fan was connected directly to the alternator, but I asked the electrician to revert it to normal. since thats how its really meant to be.

but now, it doesnt work(has not really worked perfectly though) unless I touch the buttons (heater control and EC switch before it pick and would last for 1-2min then off it goes,

any advice pls, , would also appreciate location of a reliable Benz Electrician in Lag.

1997 Benz, C class
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 190: 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2011
OMG I JUST SAW A 2008 C-CLASS BRADUS

IT LOOKED SO DIFFERENT

What does BRADUS MEAN,

I SAW IT, SLUMPED AND FAINTED!!

MERCEDEZ ARE WAY AHEAD OF ME, THEY AINT EVEN WAITING FOR ME 2 MAKE SOME MONEY YET!!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 3:46pm On Mar 18, 2011
^^^^^^^^^ grin grin grin grin

u wont stop making me laugh,

there's an adage in my place, " there is no time u shine that you wont see person shine for, " so even if dem produce benz that understands ur language and even dreams, when u wan buy, it would be the latest,

benz all d way!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 11:10am On Mar 19, 2011
Any assistance on my AC pls.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jobas: 6:25am On Apr 07, 2011
Hello house!!! This has to be one of the best threads I've read on NL!!!

@ Siena, german and all other guru's in the house.

I have about 2.5m to spend on a car and want to go the german way. Which would you advice I go for?? Benz or BMW What models?? 

I currently drive a 2007 lexus Es 350 and I can tell u, its been a blast. Not a single complaint for over 2 years. The cost of maintenance is "relatively" cheap.  Its been very reliable. Its also a lot of fun to drive (picls up soooo fast, stable on high speeds, has a lot of gadgets like integrated bluetooth, etc) and the fuel economy is just unbelievable.  shocked

I want something that is equally reliable, durable and fun. Something that can stand the test of time and won't make me turn the mechanics workshop to my second house like my other cars did.

Also, I'd want one with a good seconhand value. I dnt like being stuck with cars for too long. 

I really do enjoy driving and will love you guys to help me make a good choice.

I eagerly await your response.

@sienna,  I really do respect you,  Gone thru a lot of threads on NL and your knowledge of cars just blows me away @times,  As a automobile enthusiast, I long to have and command such expertise. Keep the flag flying.

Great day everyone!!!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:04am On Apr 07, 2011
@ Jobas, 2006 C-class is fine and I am sure u would get a clean one with your budget,  I choose a C class cos I currently use the old model,  (First Gen). and its a reliable car,  I am confident all Benz series are, but C class are quite compact and same time spacious inside,  trunk etc.

I might sound as an old skool if I say I somewhat prefer the first Gen C class for these reasons,  firstly, Parts are cheap, the engine is not so much complex unlike the new ones thus making it easier for many "try and error mechanics we have" - and lastly its quite economical on gas,  (I know the newer ones are too) , Our mechanics, type of fuel we get here etc, contributes to a whole lot, many people do not care especially money miss road, But I do,
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 9:15am On Apr 07, 2011
kuntash:

Siena, et al the Benz gurus in d house, I need assistance on my AC, it starts and goes off, and rpm falls heavily especially on idle.

When I switch on the AC, sometimes it picks for a while, like 1min on idle and later goes off, When the AC fan starts, it drags down the rpm so much that it appears its gonna go off.

I suspect electrical problem cos before now, the AC fan was connected directly to the alternator, but I asked the electrician to revert it to normal. since thats how its really meant to be.

but now, it doesnt work(has not really worked perfectly though) unless I touch the buttons (heater control and EC switch before it pick and would last for 1-2min then off it goes,

any advice pls, , would also appreciate location of a reliable Benz Electrician in Lag.

1997 Benz, C class

I think I had found the cause of the AC fan not working, I noticed two causes, firstly, the compressor had insufficient oil as a result of leaks earlier experienced. thus the intermittent pumps and offs, and since the AC fan works with the pressure generated by the compressor, (which was lacking) the fan could start all the time, Also, the module controlling the fan speed just under the hood close to the front wheel of the driver's side was having partial contact with the socket as a result of mud build-up water etc, (Naija obviously was not in the thinking while that car was made)

Solution, 1. I added oil to the compressor, and it picked after the oil circulated, cooling was achieved, the fan picked also, but stopped after I drove alone bumpy roads,
2. I removed the fan speed control module socket and made the female ends firmer by reducing the space in it. fixed it back, since, the fan has been picking when the AC is working.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 2:16am On Apr 15, 2011
kuntash:

I think I had found the cause of the AC fan not working, I noticed two causes, firstly, the compressor had insufficient oil as a result of leaks earlier experienced. thus the intermittent pumps and offs, and since the AC fan works with the pressure generated by the compressor, (which was lacking) the fan could start all the time, Also, the module controlling the fan speed just under the hood close to the front wheel of the driver's side was having partial contact with the socket as a result of mud build-up water etc, (Naija obviously was not in the thinking while that car was made)

Solution, 1. I added oil to the compressor, and it picked after the oil circulated, cooling was achieved, the fan picked also, but stopped after I drove alone bumpy roads,
2. I removed the fan speed control module socket and made the female ends firmer by reducing the space in it. fixed it back, since, the fan has been picking when the AC is working.

What do you have? C-what? What's your engine and what year from the tattoo?

If you have a bad loom, you'd have myriads of issues. Depending on certain years, the loom is the major setback the lineup models offered.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 2:47am On Apr 15, 2011
kuntash:

Thanks Kabukabu and German,

I have not really found a reliable mechanic even though there would be many out there , ,  hence I try to fix simple things on my own and do follow up with some mechanics.

I rarely get satisfied with with the way most mechanics repair cars in Naija, many of them are in the attitude of " IT DOESNT MEAN, IT WOULD WORK THAT WAY , OR THE OTHER TYPE CAN WORK WITH IT" SYNDROME , those things drive me real sad. For example, even though the W202 is designed to be hot, it has a certain degree of temperature it gets to before the fan motor engages and starts working as auxiliary or in panic mode etc,  but here u see mechanics and car owners bypassing fan motors to alternator etc,  and many more!

I think the missing factor is how much you want to spend for repairs. If you live in Lagos, what you have posted isn't true.

User, under no circumstance should your vehicle be modified. Everything is put for a reason, specified for a purpose. If anybody knows better, they should be working at the Stuttgart or Afalterbach location.

Your vehicle should begin overheating after 135degC and 135degC indeed. That is what the design manual says. As long as the vehicle is underneath the red line, you are still fine. This differs from any other car on the road. You should have 3 modules of cooling system. One of them is the last resort when all have gone wrong.

Normal operating temperature should be 87degC to 90degC. At 100degC, you should have the the your two auxuilliary fan kick in at medium speed and over hundred, come at full blast till the temperature is brought below 90degC. In the case of the extreme due to one issue or the other, the third fan kicks in. This is the backup when all has failed or cannot achieve the desired outcome or fans are blown. This is the mechanical viscous fan. The problem is that it is seldom or never used and so, it could stuck after 20 or 30 years of never being used since date of production. This brings it down till you begin moving. Compared to other vehicles, the temp guage is a live guage and not the dummy 3-point position you find in other vehicles.

Anything less than the setup explained, you need to get your cooling system in order lest you warp the head and blow a head gasket.

Another note to consider. You do not need a fan clutch unless it begins to make noise when you start-up in the morning. If you decide to replace the fan clutch, you should get the "tropical fan clutch." MB made those for the tropical region and the supplier is Sach's.

If you have the Wahler thermostat, you need to junk that and get Behr. Wahler fails in the open-state without warning and coolant active from start. Engine runs cold till the coolant heats up till it overheats. Sheer stresses also deteriorates the fluid till it looses its properties. You'll constantly be running the engine over 100degC causing all your fans to kick in.

What engine configuration do you have?

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 8:09am On Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for your response Trac.

- I have a C-200 Elegance.
-If u read some of my posts earlier, I have stated that I am kinda new to Benz even though I appreciate the ride.
- you sound quite technical, this is good, however, there could be other persons like me who would appreciate you juxtapose your MB terms with pics. e.g the Wahler and Behr thermostats.

- I was also hoping to read a line where u might refer me to a MB professional that understands the workings of a w202 of my year, I don't compromise quality repairs, if I cant afford it, I sell or dump the car until I am ready, the fact that a professional is being sought doesn't mean one should pay at a cut-throat price.

- Just as I explained in my last post, the module that kicks the fan and regulates its speed is right in front of the driver's side of the front Tyre. about 5 separate wires socket hooking onto the module.

In my own case, I didnt get the car as new or even a first time user in Naija, and according to my mechanic, its had an history of over-heating, and the gasket I am sure has been tampered with even as explained by my mechanic, I am seeing the car as an experiment, and so far, I am impressed even though experiments could be expensive sometimes
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 8:34am On Apr 15, 2011
to add to ^^^^

I just swapped my engine last week,

reason,

1- I have noticed the throttle body actuator isnt working well, (if you remove the hose connected to it linking the regeneration vacuum , nothing is noticed) whence with the idea I had with other cars of its kind, you would notice a strong air sucked in by the actuator, the cost of another actuator was from 8k or more, labour, N500 naira to 1.5k

2- I thought I would be able to gain more power and gain on gas, cos I did notice some leaks around the gasket although the quantity was insignificant - but I suspected it could result to loss of pressure and thus power.

3- The engine was relatively cheap, and quite neat and had pressure as confirmed by the mechanic, (Engine was 35k)

Putting all these together, I had to go for the replacement, since I would be getting an engine that has not been worked on, the engine has been running for 8-days now, so far so good? grin grin grin grin grin I have to confess, I didnt really notice that much difference in the power I wanted especially when AC is ON, but the actuator worked, no oil leaks, infact, I am still running with the engine oil that was in it, I had a thermostat with 71/degC, in my old engine so I used it, I have noticed the temp rarely gets to 80DegC, meanwhile the new engine had a rating of 87degC, is anything wrong with this?, should I return it to the original status of 87?,

Also, how can I test that the regeneration vacuum is working with the actuator, I expected a "tick - tick or vibrating sound from that small vacuum"

thanks

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aduje(m): 1:15pm On Apr 15, 2011
House Pls help.

I drive a Benz 190 and it has been faithful to me. A friend said it is possible to adjust the injection system for lower fuel economy. How possible is this and what is the likely technical/performance implication of such re-work or adjustment.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:34pm On Apr 15, 2011
kuntash:

Thanks for your response Trac.

- I have a C-200 Elegance.
-If u read some of my posts earlier, I have stated that I am kinda new to Benz even though I appreciate the ride.
- you sound quite technical, this is good, however, there could be other persons like me who would appreciate you juxtapose your MB terms with pics. e.g the Wahler and Behr thermostats.

- I was also hoping to read a line where u might refer me to a MB professional that understands the workings of a w202 of my year, I don't compromise quality repairs, if I cant afford it, I sell or dump the car until I am ready, the fact that a professional is being sought doesn't mean one should pay at a cut-throat price.

- Just as I explained in my last post, the module that kicks the fan and regulates its speed is right in front of the driver's side of the front Tyre. about 5 separate wires socket hooking onto the module.

In my own case, I didnt get the car as new or even a first time user in Naija, and according to my mechanic, its had an history of over-heating, and the gasket I am sure has been tampered with even as explained by my mechanic, I am seeing the car as an experiment, and so far, I am impressed even though experiments could be expensive sometimes

Kuntash,

I just got on this forum yesterday. There is a german-purist in Lagos. As soon as I have this number, I will post it up.

To answer the areas you stressed:

Behr is a better thermostat brand than Wahler. The same price but Wahler is not predictable. Benz's run hot and when Wahler fails, it fails in the open state. In other words, the coolant gate is open and it begins its purpose from the time you crank your engine. Since an engine is hot by nature, it will take about 5 to 7 minutes to get to 80degC as oppose to 2 minutes. You will not suspect anything. I noticed mine when it took forever for my heater to warm the vehicle at very low fan speed and the engine temperature never got to 40deg on a snowy day.

I will a service person for you by this time tomorrow.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.