Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,447 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Suicide And Sniper - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suicide And Sniper (14362 Views)

Man In Agony As Envious Neighbor Poisons Fish Pond With Sniper, Kills Livelihood / Adewara Damilola Blessings Commits Suicide In Ogun By Drinking Sniper. Photos / Traders Caught Mixing Sniper Insecticide With Beans (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide And Sniper by JKisOK(m): 11:14pm On May 21, 2019
The way suicides have made it first choice, Sniper insecticide may just be attracting unhealthy attention from the authorities. Many Nigerians committing suicide have taken to gulping down the substance, with a highly fatal result.

Relatively new in the market, Sniper appears to have been formulated along the line of Otapiapia, which was also a local anti-pest solution. Otapiapia also in the 1980s and 1990s became a favourite suicide tool, especially in the South-East. Sniper seems to have taken over.

Should the government clamp down on Sniper, it may be shutting down a good business, resulting in job losses, investment trapping, with wide implications for those servicing and benefiting down the product's supply chain.

But this raises several questions.

Is there an iron-clad case to call for banning the production and sales of Sniper?

Does Sniper account for the majority of deaths and is Sniper the only way out for people bent on committing harakiri?

Should the manufacturers of Sniper be blamed for the abuse of their highly effective insecticide?

What will happen should Sniper be banned and depressed and desperate people embrace some other solutions?

5 Likes

Re: Suicide And Sniper by traihit: 10:05am On May 22, 2019
Banning Sniper is not the answer to the menace of suicide. In fact, not all the victims of suicide use Sniper as a means of taking their own lives.
There is a great social anger, rage and sense of inadequacy and this is what is driving people nuts and crazy. When people feel they have shortcomings somewhere where others have gone far (relationships, academics, finance etc), the tendency for suicide will be high.
Let's start looking after one another and stop all the unnecessary competition for perfection. No one is perfect in every area. Suicide can never be a way out of any problem.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:05am On May 22, 2019
You can't blame the high rate of suicide on the production of sniper. The manufacturers made the product for domestic rodents and insects.

Ban Sniper, and people will find something else to commit suicide with.

Depression and Hopelessness are the major causes of Suicide. And believe me, the moral decay in our contemporary society adds to those factors. The economy is bad, people are losing jobs, families are separating, people no longer respect relationships and the social media is Making life seem it's about the cars, houses and jobs. When events, situations and circumstances leave you empty and void, and things you've fed your thoughts on, can fill the emptiness and void, or you may see nothing worth holding onto in Life.

When all the happiness you have in life is derived from money, wealth, academic attainment, family, etc, you never can escape depression, when you lose those things.

Give your existence more essence and you'll never contemplate suicide. The Holy scripture puts it that, "If in this life alone we have hope, we are of all men most miserable".

I wish we could go back to the days when Religious organizations paid attention to issues of the soul. Today, it is quite pathetic that you can get depressed right inside the Church.

#noToSuicide
No matter what, look at the brighter side of Life.

When there's life, there's hope. I've seen people get healthy from cancer and life threatening issues. I've seen family reunite after decades of separation. I've seen wealthy people come out of excruciating poverty.

You case is not the worst.
Work on your mind and soul. Don't just be RELIGIOUS

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suicide And Sniper by kelvinnaira: 10:05am On May 22, 2019
See enn.. My problem is not even with people drinking sniper or reading suicide news again.. Nowadays, I laugh after reading suicide news and simply say to myself "another idiot gone again"

These people committing suicide do so, to know how much they will be missed by their friends and loved ones..how many people will cry, how they will cry, who will cry more etc.. It is more like, they want to witness their own death while still alive.. Really crazy.. Because before now, suicide was - kill yourself and go your way..

But now, suicide is - take pictures with sniper, post it on social media, pose, post short video crying, write series of posts and then die, just to get social media attention. undecided

That thing is not depression...it is either there is a mumu spirit telling these persons to do it and see how they will be missed/how much they are loved OR they are just being plain stupid.

Social media has really made people stupid and vissionless.. Not sniper..

What do I even know sef undecided just saying my own

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide And Sniper by noblealuu: 10:06am On May 22, 2019
Suicide does not take away the depression, rather loved ones are plunged into depression as the vicious cycles continue.

Proscribing the sales and distribution of Sniper will not solve the high rate of suicide in the country. It will amount to postponing Doom's day as the depressed might resort to other means of ending their lives.

#saynotosuicide.

Hold on my friend, joy comes in the morning.
Weeping only last for just a night.
Hold on fellow Nigerians.
Joy comes in the morning.
The darkest hour means dawn is just in sight.

Don't give up on the threshold of victory. You will succeed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:06am On May 22, 2019
There are thousands ways to commit suicide. Before sniper came into lime light, people always have means of committing suicide and people commit suicide all around the world without sniper.

Stop defaming the product and hard-work of another person.

Bad leaders and governance are the causes of suicide not sniper.

Ban bad leaders not sniper;
Ban the lawmakers who use the national fund in buying luxurious cars and marrying wives;
Ban politicians siphoning money meant for security and education into their private accounts.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Suicide And Sniper by trippleKAY(m): 10:06am On May 22, 2019
Just so pathetic, I've been looking at the snipper in my room like 'why u dey murder people up and down na' cry

10 Likes

Re: Suicide And Sniper by McAausim: 10:06am On May 22, 2019
Otapiya piya.... cool

Ban am for wetin... undecided

Nigeria is a product a failed country

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:06am On May 22, 2019
Nonsense!
People commit suicide through several other means - jumping into lagoon, hanging, rat poison, using knives/blades etc
Will they also ban these (lagoon especially)?
Re: Suicide And Sniper by AnnaWrites: 10:06am On May 22, 2019
Banning Sniper would not end suicide. But if we had any sort of statistics, upon its ban, we'll notice a considerable decrease in suicide levels.

Believe it or not, a small chunk of people who die of "apparent" suicide, do it impulsively. One moment, they're overwhelmed by the happenings around them and the next moment, they're gulping sniper - the usually easy-to-access option.

BAN SNIPER

2 Likes

Re: Suicide And Sniper by babs18: 10:07am On May 22, 2019
suicide is real
Re: Suicide And Sniper by bamasite(m): 10:07am On May 22, 2019
What again

You must know about this new phone theft trick right now:
https://www.nairaland.com/5198102/brand-new-phone-theft-strategy
Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:07am On May 22, 2019
Next thing now, a ban will be placed on sniper.
Why not ask why Nigerians are committing suicide rather than what they are committing suicide with.
That was how a ban was placed on codeine which happens to be the best antitussive in the world.
We are always reactive rather than proactive.

11 Likes

Re: Suicide And Sniper by ainas247: 10:07am On May 22, 2019
Re: Suicide And Sniper by sotall(m): 10:07am On May 22, 2019
Sniper is not to blame.

If the authorities ban sniper, there are numerous options for those who want to commit suicide to choose from.

Rather the government should make life better for Nigerians and the suicide rate will reduce.

3 Likes

Re: Suicide And Sniper by gaventa: 10:07am On May 22, 2019
Once you Ban Sniper, Kindly barricade all bridges or flyovers, also do not forget to burn all ropes and ceiling fans in homes. Let’s pray for Grace

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Suicide And Sniper by SweetJoystick(m): 10:07am On May 22, 2019
No. 1 sought after for depressed beings who want to end it all.
Re: Suicide And Sniper by Tintinnoty(m): 10:07am On May 22, 2019
The rate at which we abuse things in this country...... So tey some people don dey abuse sniper self

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Lamasta(m): 10:07am On May 22, 2019
I pray for those going through depression that God in His infinite mercy will heal them from depression.
Suicide is never the cure for depression just open up to people around what You are going through and be rest assured someone will be of help to You.
Let collectively say NO TO SUICIDE cool
Sniper is an insecticide and not suicide drug so let's stop the abuse of sniper. cool
Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:08am On May 22, 2019
It is not a matter of banning Sniper...it is a matter of better mental health funding, especially increasing the numbers of psychiatrists, therapists, psychologists, mental health nurses etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Nobody: 10:08am On May 22, 2019
Ok... Hope they will Ban RAT POISON, Ban ROPES, Burn BRIDGES, Ban KNIVES...Ban CARS yes people throw themselves on a moving vehicle, Cut down all Trees yes they tie the rope on a tree.. Ban Ceiling fans............ Abeg person wey determine to commit suicide go still do am

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide And Sniper by lomprico(m): 10:08am On May 22, 2019
Op, No go make govt ban am o! E dey kill cockroach for me wella.

If una wan ban anything, ban buhari instead.

1 Like

Re: Suicide And Sniper by dcxzwee: 10:08am On May 22, 2019
cheesy
Re: Suicide And Sniper by Offpoint: 10:08am On May 22, 2019
Banning sniper won't stop or reduce suicide rate, there are 1001 to end one's life.

I need someone who can loan me 30k today, I'll pay back 50k tomorrow... I'm dead serious, I can provide any information you need about me.

1 Like

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Mexzy88(m): 10:08am On May 22, 2019
Even if Sniper is Banned, Sucidal people will always find alternative ways to kill themselves.

1 Like

Re: Suicide And Sniper by yaksdavirus: 10:09am On May 22, 2019
Because Knife was used to kill somebody should knife be banned. Capital no, Misuse of substance is not a reason for ban.

1 Like

Re: Suicide And Sniper by Ekakamba: 10:09am On May 22, 2019
ANY NICCA/BIATCH WEY SNIPER KILL NA INSECT SHIKENE! grin tongue
Re: Suicide And Sniper by feldido(m): 10:09am On May 22, 2019
It's just like banning ROPE cause people use it for suicide.

Sniper is only a brand name for insecticide, there are a lot of other brands out there in the market. They should be more concerned about their citizen's mental and physical welfare and not Sniper.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Indian Girl Stripped, Beaten & Paraded Around For Daring To Date Above Her Class / Suspect In Lagos Police Station Kidnapped By 3 Masked Gunmen / Sportybet Is A Fraud Guys Beware

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.