Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,023 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State (34064 Views)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / Why Ora People Don't Bow To Oba Of Benin / 7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Atigba: 3:09pm On May 24, 2019
googi:
Sometimes, I wonder why it took so long for folks within Edo to come out and tell the real stories the most prominent Bini historian wrote.

Pathological liars have distorted his great work just to sit on the shoulder of their Oba father and claim he is their son.

We have heard the truth for so many generations from the Urhobo to Ijaw to Ishan prominent son, Enahoro (personally).

Yet, they keep on repeating the same lies.

Please, let us move on so that we can hear more from other Edo people. The story of Ekhalerhan from Ughoton was just as moving and compelling because he was popular there and no soldier from Bini would dare capture him among his people until his death.

Please let us hear from more people in the area and learn history of our people.

Thanks.

There is nothing like Oduduwa or Ikalerdahan in our land.

Oduduwa who rule in Ife is from Sudan close Egypt
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Atigba: 3:11pm On May 24, 2019
crisycent:

Where your yeye land dey? Ogunoba kill you

Ogun Oba you big fooool

Ogun is a Youruba man, a son of olodumare which mean God of iron

You see how you expose and foool your self here.

Oba of Benin is a Youruba man

We don't have Ogun deity in our land.

You are a Youruba man living in Edo State
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by crisycent: 4:40pm On May 24, 2019
Atigba:

Ogun Oba you big fooool

Ogun is a Youruba man, a son of olodumare which mean God of iron

You see how you expose and foool your self here.

Oba of Benin is a Youruba man

We don't have Ogun deity in our land.

You are a Youruba man living in Edo State

The story you were told by your useless father? Go and ask the Oba of Lagos....do you think Benin kingdom is like your backyard kingdom where they sell kinship?

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Atigba: 4:50pm On May 24, 2019
crisycent:

The story you were told by your useless father? Go and ask the Oba of Lagos....do you think Benin kingdom is like your backyard kingdom where they sell kinship?

Is Ogun not a Youruba man that transcend into a deity.
The yourubas even dedicate a state to venerate the god. You are ignorant and stupiid.

Which gods or idols did you people in Benin serve.

Oromila
Ogun
Shango
Osun
Owosuoba
Ososomaye
Ayelala
Ogboni ..cult
Osokpikan ..cult
Aye .. cult
Eiye..cult.
Azigidi

These are all yoruba deities, shrine and cult

And you foolish Benin people are still doubting if your Oba is a Youruba man.

Foolllls

What is the meaning of Oba in your language?
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by crisycent: 5:30pm On May 24, 2019
Atigba:

Is Ogun not a Youruba man that transcend into a deity.
The yourubas even dedicate a state to venerate the god. You are ignorant and stupiid.

Which gods or idols did you people in Benin serve.

Oromila
Ogun
Shango
Osun
Owosuoba
Ososomaye
Ayelala
Ogboni ..cult
Osokpikan ..cult
Aye .. cult
Eiye..cult.
Azigidi

These are all yoruba deities, shrine and cult

And you foolish Benin people are still doubting if your Oba is a Youruba man.

Foolllls

What is the meaning of Oba in your language?

Do I have to waste my time debating with an imbecíle like you? I have told you to go and ask Oba of lagos. Just so you know; it was the Bini’s that started using the word Oba. Secondary school dropout go and ask your father; maybe he will have an idea.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Teejay510(m): 5:57pm On May 24, 2019
benin kingdom and tradition.
the people that love their king than themselves..
the last time I visited was during the coronation. was fun.... Oba ghatope e. ise

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by YourNemesis: 6:57pm On May 24, 2019
Probz:

The emboldened is very interesting. Half Ondo how?

Thanks for asking.
By 'Half Ondo', it literally means just as it sounds. They are halfway between Esans and Ondo Yorubas culturally.
Sobe was even formerly in Ondo state but was later on transferred to Edo. Arimogija and Ijagba (Uzagba) are still in Ondo, Uzebba, Otuo, Ikhin, Okpuje etc on the other hand are in Edo but are like Ishan-Yoruba mixes in everything.

3 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 8:27pm On May 24, 2019
YourNemesis:

Thanks for asking.
By 'Half Ondo', it literally means just as it sounds. They are halfway between Esans and Ondo Yorubas culturally.
Sobe was even formerly in Ondo state but was later on transferred to Edo. Arimogija and Ijagba (Uzagba) are still in Ondo, Uzebba, Otuo, Ikhin, Okpuje etc on the other hand are in Edo but are like Ishan-Yoruba mixes in everything.

Any idea the linguistic and food similarities they share?

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by OHIsIManuEL(m): 8:45pm On May 24, 2019
I'm from Uzebba or so my parents said. I don't really know much about the place sha. It's cool to see people from around there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Bishopsgate(m): 9:44pm On May 24, 2019
Livefreeordieha:
eseee oo, elsssee.. Any ora inna d house?

Omion, onegbe?

Uhonmora boy from The House of Ikharo
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Livefreeordieha(m): 11:07pm On May 24, 2019
Bishopsgate:

Omion, onegbe?

ooooo

Ofure, odianosen...

Diz is esan nonetheless
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by YourNemesis: 11:07pm On May 24, 2019
Probz:

Any idea the linguistic and food similarities they share?

Linguistically they speak Emai, Otwa, Ora etc and other edoid micro dialects, although some can be heavily laden with Yoruba words. like in Otuo or in Sobe.
The cuisine border isn't as sharp between Edo and Ondo to begin with, they both have a thing called black soup, egusi and pounded yam is always a staple... not the amala ish though~ that is the 'Oyo type' of Yoruba., other general meals are the same , except those I don't know of. They are quite sw/yoruba-philic, except for a few that hv spent their entire lives in places like Port Harcourt. Dele Momodu is a native of Ihievbe but claims SW. Olusegun aganga former minister is also Owan, people don't even know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 1:16am On May 25, 2019
OHIsIManuEL:
I'm from Uzebba or so my parents said. I don't really know much about the place sha. It's cool to see people from around there

“So my parents said.”

Is it not your responsibility to find that out for yourself as a grown man? What’s wrong with you?

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 2:02am On May 25, 2019
YourNemesis:

Linguistically they speak Emai, Otwa, Ora etc and other edoid micro dialects, although some can be heavily laden with Yoruba words. like in Otuo or in Sobe.
The cuisine border isn't as sharp between Edo and Ondo to begin with, they both have a thing called black soup, egusi and pounded yam is always a staple... not the amala ish though~ that is the 'Oyo type' of Yoruba., other general meals are the same , except those I don't know of. They are quite sw/yoruba-philic, except for a few that hv spent their entire lives in places like Port Harcourt. Dele Momodu is a native of Ihievbe but claims SW. Olusegun aganga former minister is also Owan, people don't even know.

I know amala isn’t widespread in Eastern Yorubaland so that one’s no shock to me. How are they re. religious affiliation? Islam’s unheard of in Ondo State but there’s more ground for it the further East one ventures into Edo State. Or are Oras also affiliated with Ondos re. religion?

I hope you don’t mind these questions. It’s an interesting discussion.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Wesporting: 4:05am On May 25, 2019
Bishopsgate:

Omion, onegbe?

What's your name sir?
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by OHIsIManuEL(m): 5:33am On May 25, 2019
Probz:

“So my parents said.”

Is it not your responsibility to find that out for yourself as a grown man? What’s wrong with you?
Lol, na long story my brother
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Bishopsgate(m): 11:01am On May 25, 2019
Wesporting:

What's your name sir?

Franklin Omogbai Ikharo

And you?
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by YourNemesis: 11:17am On May 25, 2019
Probz:

I know amala isn’t widespread in Eastern Yorubaland so that one’s no shock to me. How are they re. religious affiliation? Islam’s unheard of in Ondo State but there’s more ground for it the further East one ventures into Edo State. Or are Oras also affiliated with Ondos re. religion?

Owan East has more Muslims and it is more difficult to call the majority. Owan west has more christians than muslims, if you go to places like Warrake or Ivbiaro in Owan east, you will think you are in tiny versions of Ilorin.. soo, way more islamic than Ondo in those parts.

Some like 'Ikao have an oral history of founding fathers directly from Ife rather than Benin via Ife or Benin directly during the time of Ozoluwa like you hear in the rest. Also among the Iulehas (Uzebba) who are the largest clan in Owan west, they trace their origins to a man called Irimo~ Some accounts say he was a son of Oba Ozoluwa, some say he was from Ijebu-Ode via Ile-Ife. Whatever it is, they are clearly Edo-oid.

3 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Kfed4ril(m): 11:17am On May 25, 2019
naijaguy123456:
Good to know this tribe didn’t come from Israel like some people claim about their ancestors.

Lol
Also great to know that the ancestor of this tribe didn’t fall from heaven like some people claim about their ancestors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 1:07pm On May 25, 2019
ogongogames:
I've always wondered. They are in Owan West but I have never seen them refer to themselves as "Ora". Would you know what their sub-ethnic group they consider themselves to be? Esan possibly? I've always looked at them as a border community between Esan West and Owan West.
Oga, Ozalla people are firmly Ora. I have met several of them, who are proud of their Ora heritage. Their language, culture, names and tradition are totally Ora. Ask their elders.

sniper77:
The People of Ozallas' history can be traced to Ora but they do not refer to themselves as ora people cos they were banished and exist as their own clan.

Prince Uguan had a son who came out with his legs during childbirth according to history which was regarded as a taboo then. That occurrence was referred to as Uza. The child founded Ozalla clan and they are a part of Owan West L.G.A.
Banished from...where? When? shocked I have met tons of Ozalla people who firmly refer to themselves, as Ora. So your story is rather illogical. Some of them trace their town's origin to a son of Oba Ozolua.
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 1:09pm On May 25, 2019
igbodefender:
The Ora people have strong ancient Igbo connection.
Lies!! shocked

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 1:17pm On May 25, 2019
Probz:

Islam is NOT unheard of, in the eastern part of Yoruba land. shocked Where did you get that from? ! I worked in the Akoko area of Ondo state, and it was common to see whole indigenous families, that were Muslims. Names like Akadiri or Kadiri were common. The Olukare of Ikare-Akoko is a prime example.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 1:37pm On May 25, 2019
laudate:

Islam is NOT unheard of, in the eastern part of Yoruba land. shocked Where did you get that from? ! I worked in the Akoko area of Ondo state, and it was common to see whole indigenous families, that were Muslims. Names like Akadiri or Kadiri were common. The Olukare of Ikare-Akoko is a prime example.

Akoko people are essentially an Edoid stock of Ondo Yoruba so it's no surprise the Yoruba subgroups that have greater admixture of Edoid tribes have Islamic leanings.

It's about as rare to find a Muslim from Ondo or Ekiti State as it is Enugu or Ebonyi States. Fact.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 1:38pm On May 25, 2019
laudate:

Oga, Ozalla people are firmly Ora. I have met several of them, who are proud of their Ora heritage. Their language, culture, names and tradition are totally Ora. Ask their elders.

Banished from...where? When? shocked I have met tons of Ozalla people who firmly refer to themselves, as Ora. So your story is rather illogical. Some of them trace their town's origin to a son of Oba Ozolua.

What, Ozalla in Enugu State?

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 1:41pm On May 25, 2019
Probz:
What, Ozalla in Enugu State?
Ozalla-Ora in Edo State.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by laudate: 1:48pm On May 25, 2019
Probz:
Akoko people are essentially an Edoid stock of Ondo Yoruba so it's no surprise the Yoruba subgroups that have greater admixture of Edoid tribes have Islamic leanings.

It's about as rare to find a Muslim from Ondo or Ekiti State as it is Enugu or Ebonyi States. Fact.
Again, you are spreading flimsy opinions as fact. I went to school in Ondo state, and worked there for some years before coming back to Lagos. undecided

It is NOT rare to find indigenous Muslim families in Ondo State. If you have been in Ondo state during Eid-el-Kabir or any of the Muslim festivals, you would see huge population of indigenous Muslim families coming out to pray at the Eid grounds. sad

Ask any community in Ondo state to tell you where their 'Eid grounds or fields are located, they would readily tell you. They pronounce it as Yiddi. So please stop postulating about what you know nothing about. shocked

From Ondo, to Ile-Oluji, to Okitipupa, Ilara-Mokin, Ifon etc, there are many Indigenous families that are Muslims. In fact, many families have a mix of both Christians and Muslims, and they are very tolerant of each other. undecided They are also quite protective of one another.

Ekiti state also has a huge population of indigenous Muslim families, despite the fact that they have a large Christian population in the state. But they are not fanatics.

And people from both religions live side by side within the same family, and celebrate festivals together. undecided In some families, you cannot even tell who is a Christian or Muslim in a family, as they do not flaunt the differences between their religions. They believe in 'live, and let live.'

” Excluding Muslims from the first three important appointments announced by the governor is shocking and highly disturbing to all Muslims in the state”, he said.

The group said Muslims in the state constituted about 40 per cent of the Ekiti State population, and added that the governor was given their total support during the governorship polls.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/ekiti-muslims-reject-fayemis-appointments/%3famp
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Probz(m): 3:01pm On May 25, 2019
YourNemesis:

Owan East has more Muslims and it is more difficult to call the majority. Owan west has more christians than muslims, if you go to places like Warrake or Ivbiaro in Owan east, you will think you are in tiny versions of Ilorin.. soo, way more islamic than Ondo in those parts.

Some like 'Ikao have an oral history of founding fathers directly from Ife rather than Benin via Ife or Benin directly during the time of Ozoluwa like you hear in the rest. Also among the Iulehas (Uzebba) who are the largest clan in Owan west, they trace their origins to a man called Irimo~ Some accounts say he was a son of Oba Ozoluwa, some say he was from Ijebu-Ode via Ile-Ife. Whatever it is, they are clearly Edo-oid.

Was I really that far off about the prevalence of Muslims from Ondo State or is laudate just doing his thing?

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Mandynews(f): 3:14pm On May 25, 2019
Bishopsgate:

Franklin Omogbai Ikharo

And you?
Do you know Sheriff?
Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by sniper77(m): 3:48pm On May 25, 2019
laudate:

I said according to history Prince Uguan banished a son he had who later founded ozalla clan.
Prince Uguan was the father of OraEkpen whose sons established the six clans of ora namely Ohia Ora,ovbiokhuarin Ora,Evbiobe Ora, Uhonmora,Oke Ora(Oke Old and Oke new),Eme Ora.
I also emphasized that the history of the ozalla people can be traced to Ora.Prince Uguan later became an Oba in the old benin kingdom.He was known as Oba Ewuare Ozolua.

Their are so many books written on the history of the ora people. And if you ask the elders you will get varied responses on how ozalla was founded. The key thing is the ozalla people came from Ora.

1 Like

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by YourNemesis: 4:30pm On May 25, 2019
Probz:

Was I really that far off about the prevalence of Muslims from Ondo State or is laudate just doing his thing?

Ondo has MORE muslims than Enugu and Ebonyi, like a lot.
But it depends on where you are.
In Ondo state South Senatorial district yes you are right, but in Ondo North like in Ikare or Owo that would be wrong.

2 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Opiletool(m): 5:32pm On May 25, 2019
Probz:

Oga stop saying what you don't know. Xtian and Muslim population in Ekiti is like 55% to 45%. Most of you kids will just come on social media to expose your unclad ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State by Opiletool(m): 5:34pm On May 25, 2019
laudate:

Again, you are spreading flimsy opinions as fact. I went to school in Ondo state, and worked there for some years before coming back to Lagos. undecided

It is NOT rare to find indigenous Muslim families in Ondo State. If you have been in Ondo state during Eid-el-Kabir or any of the Muslim festivals, you would see huge population of indigenous Muslim families coming out to pray at the Eid grounds. sad

Ask any community in Ondo state to tell you where their 'Eid grounds or fields are located, they would readily tell you. They pronounce it as Yiddi. So please stop postulating about what you know nothing about. shocked

From Ondo, to Ile-Oluji, to Okitipupa, Ilara-Mokin, Ifon etc, there are many Indigenous families that are Muslims. In fact, many families have a mix of both Christians and Muslims, and they are very tolerant of each other. undecided They are also quite protective of one another.

Ekiti state also has a huge population of indigenous Muslim families, despite the fact that they have a large Christian population in the state. But they are not fanatics.

And people from both religions live side by side within the same family, and celebrate festivals together. undecided In some families, you cannot even tell who is a Christian or Muslim in a family, as they do not flaunt the differences between their religions. They believe in 'live, and let live.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/ekiti-muslims-reject-fayemis-appointments/%3famp

Don't mind that fool. They just pull numbers from their black unattractive asses.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Others Participate At Berlin Humboldt Forum Arts Exhibition In Ger / Annoying Nigerian Sayings / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.