Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:58 PM

Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa (1415 Views)

A Man Died In The House Of His Side Chick During Sex In Delta (Video, Photo) / Lady Finds Love Potion In The House Of Her Prospective Boyfriend (Photos) / Okoro Blessing Nkeiruka Builds A House Of Her Own After Boyfriend Dumped Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 24, 2019
Why Nigeria will not be the powerhouse of tech in Africa.

1) No Large user base- Nigeria has a big population but many are tech illiterate, unsophisticated, poor and can't afford basic amenities, the middle class is small thus buying online is seen as luxury.. every quarter of the year, the NUC makes its mobile users data public and in the data, it says, we have almost 120 million internet users but in the real world, that number of users does not translate to traffic or cash.

2) No Top Engineers and researchers- engineers are the producers and makers of tech products, engineers in the sense means programmers ( front end and back end programmers, i might even add designers) these are the people you need to make a good tech product... in Nigeria, can we boast of having 1000 top notch programmers and designers? do we have tech hubs, can our universities produce these set of people who are expert in their trade-NO, for Nigeria to be the powerhouse of tech in Africa, we need large numbers of very good engineers. what about researchers, everyday people get phds and cant even improve their surroundings..how many research have these people taken..none.. they just have PhDs for pride and to brag and oppress other people..tell them to invent or create something new, they start complaining.

3)No Strong entrepreneurs-- do we have an entrepreneurial mentality in Nigeria- NO..presently many Nigerians do not dear to the take risk of starting a business or expanding the one they have, we can even look around us..yes, they say Nigerians are entrepreneurial but how many small businesses have grown to become big brands..look around you and can iya basira makes her small kiosk to become like kfc-no, can chinedu with his grocery shops turn his small shop into a large chain of grocery shop-no, we are good in starting business not good in expanding business.. how many top brands have come out of nigeria-none(lets forget Dangote), for Nigeria to be the powerhouse of tech in Africa, we must have young people willing to create new online businesses, new business models, new ways of doing business, young people that can lead engineers, scale up their business and create a global brand.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Timagex(m): 1:48pm On May 24, 2019
"Nigerians are good at creating and not at expanding".....Hmmmmmm.... Sad but true

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 24, 2019
so correct..to add, many tech entrepreneurs in nigeria wanna be celebrities rather than business men, so you see them attending conferences where they are speakers instead of growing their businesses, they are addicted to the fame. some of them spend their time on twitter getting verified and growing their twitter followers rather than their customer base n real life.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 4:30pm On May 24, 2019
I think you all are being too harsh on Nigeria, Rome wasnt build in Month yall
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by 2buffagain(m): 4:50pm On May 24, 2019
thebosstrevor:
so correct..to add, many tech entrepreneurs in nigeria wanna be celebrities rather than business men, so you see them attending conferences where they are speakers instead of growing their businesses, they are addicted to the fame. some of them spend their time on twitter getting verified and growing their twitter followers rather than their customer base n real life.

Growing twitter followers is good.
That's a good way to build an audence.
You WILL need an audience when you launch anything.

But I agree with the overall thread that more needs to be done...
Tech in a country where 24hr power is not even a thing is always tough.
These are the infrastructure that needs to be in place otherwise an entrepreneur's mind is wasted on lesser things e.g generator hussle.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Nigerians are fools for still voting for all these "Butiku". You guys had a chance this year and blew it for another 4 years. These guys you keep voting for don't even know what a computer is, talkless of prioritizing the infrastructure to support the needed tech culture.

Naija is largely post-apocalyptic...
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 24, 2019
theunnamed:
I think you all are being too harsh on Nigeria, Rome wasnt build in Month yall

i am not being harsh but that is the reality

to create talent, you need universities that can produce that talent, presently we have none, for the talent to stay, you need to get them employed and also you need to give them good pay. employment is hard in Nigeria..good pay is rare.

the little talent we have are all going overseas once they get experience, so how are we going to create an ecosystem with nobody in it.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by VicYo(m): 5:08pm On May 24, 2019
love this
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by StrikeBack(m): 6:08pm On May 24, 2019
Lalasticlala

Oya do Normal
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 8:21pm On May 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

to create talent, you need universities that can produce that talent, presently we have none, for the talent to stay, you need to get them employed and also you need to give them good pay. employment is hard in Nigeria..good pay is rare.

the little talent we have are all going overseas once they get experience, so how are we going to create an ecosystem with nobody in it.

True and true... But still Nigerians are hard working not to mention innovative. Everything takes time, we will get there
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by aytuns(m): 8:29pm On May 24, 2019
lilwetdick:

I was listening to a radio program today of how funds of $10m meant to support start-up IT firms by the federal government has still not been paid.. our leaders are not thinking of the future, all they know is how to stuff their pockets with the resources of the nation.

The leaders of tomorrow to Nigeria are already here. They've grown and are ready to help put the country on the right path... But with the quality of leaders we have, and the level of corruption, they'd rather leave to a country where things work.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by aytuns(m): 8:32pm On May 24, 2019
theunnamed:

True and true... But still Nigerians are hard working not to mention innovative. Everything takes time, we will get there

in what year o?

1980: problems of agriculture:
bad roads
poor storage facilities
corruption
poor power supply

2019: problems of agriculture
bad roads
poor storage facilities
corruption
poor power supply

so when are we going to ever get it in this country??
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 8:39pm On May 24, 2019
aytuns:

in what year o?

1980: problems of agriculture:
bad roads
poor storage facilities
corruption
poor power supply

2019: problems of agriculture
bad roads
poor storage facilities
corruption
poor power supply

so when are we going to ever get it in this country??

I have realized that the youth of today are truly the leaders of tomorrow, and I don't mean in a political capacity. Look around, what I see is young people pushing through with start-ups of their own against all the odds you mentioned earlier, soon they we will push the boundaries that used to be our constraints slowly. I believe, you just watch
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by luminouz(m): 8:54pm On May 24, 2019
theunnamed:

I have realized that the youth of today are truly the leaders of tomorrow, and I don't mean in a political capacity. Look around, what I see is young people pushing through with start-ups of their own against all the odds you mentioned earlier, soon they we will push the boundaries that used to be our constraints slowly. I believe, you just watch
Forget all this plenty talk,what we need is a revolution, bloody and gory..these politicians must die for things to change..so long the youth are content shouting on social media,revolution won't happen...
Lemme ask,are u ready for it
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 9:00pm On May 24, 2019
luminouz:

Forget all this plenty talk,what we need is a revolution, bloody and gory..these politicians must die for things to change..so long the youth are content shouting on social media,revolution won't happen...
Lemme ask,are u ready for it

Even if there is a revolution tomorrow, neither you nor I will benefit from it. Nigeria is growing we might not even reach stability in 20 years. The real question is what are you doing to make this a reality?
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by 2buffagain(m): 9:18pm On May 24, 2019
aytuns:

I was listening to a radio program today of how funds of $10m meant to support start-up IT firms by the federal government has still not been paid.. our leaders are not thinking of the future, all they know is how to stuff their pockets with the resources of the nation.

The leaders of tomorrow to Nigeria are already here. They've grown and are ready to help put the country on the right path... But with the quality of leaders we have, and the level of corruption, they'd rather leave to a country where things work.

Then stop voting for these fools!

Go ask random people in the street and they will tell you that they either voted PDP or APC. The citizens are the problem. They have locked y'all's sense somewhere.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by 2buffagain(m): 9:21pm On May 24, 2019
theunnamed:

Even if there is a revolution tomorrow, neither you nor I will benefit from it. Nigeria is growing we might not even reach stability in 20 years. The real question is what are you doing to make this a reality?

Common to vote they cannot even agree to vote for newer presidents, is it revolution that Nigerians will now do?

It's not even a matter of rigging...
The average Nigerian on the street is still supporting either PDP or APC. The mumu of Nigerians pass rigging.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by aytuns(m): 1:10pm On May 25, 2019
2buffagain:

Then stop voting for these fools!

Go ask random people in the street and they will tell you that they either voted PDP or APC. The citizens are the problem. They have locked y'all's sense somewhere.

I voted for neither PDP nor APC.. cos I knew they had nothing to offer, and many claimed it's a wasted vote cos they won't enter.. ... the same 'many' that voted due to the 5k given or bottle of Pepsi promised.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 25, 2019
aytuns:

any government support is a joke...they cant even pay people on government scholarship talkless of startups...i believe private sector need to set up their game in helping start ups but they themselves arent serious, once they have access to your business, they wanna take it away from you.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 25, 2019
nigeria is a dead case
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 25, 2019
theunnamed:

if you say nigerians are innovative, where is the innovation? countries that are innovative, you will see traces of innovation in their system, in nigeria..innovation is always on theory and on paper not in real life

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by buzzcypha(m): 5:05pm On May 25, 2019
Nigerians have the capacity and ability to do all the things you have just mention, all we need is good leadership, gives us 24hr power, gives us standard education, gives us all basic amenities then you shall see, how can small koisk business grow when there is no light, no road, no education, no research, no clothing, no food, no health care, no human development
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 25, 2019
buzzcypha:
Nigerians have the capacity and ability to do all the things you have just mention, all we need is good leadership, gives us 24hr power, gives us standard education, gives us all basic amenities then you shall see, how can small koisk business grow when there is no light, no road, no education, no research, no clothing, no food, no health care, no human development

maybe you are right but there are countries with the same conditions like us e.g is india but they still get some stuff rights even with their poor conditions, funny enough, the people producing some of our consumer goods in Nigeria are indians living in nigeria, so why cant nigerians compete with them in the same conditions

if you like give the owners of small shops 24 hours light, they wont still grow..reason is that they dont understand the fundamentals of growing a small business.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by 2buffagain(m): 6:02pm On May 25, 2019
lilwetdick:

maybe you are right but there are countries with the same conditions like us e.g is india but they still get some stuff rights even with their poor conditions, funny enough, the people producing some of our consumer goods in Nigeria are indians living in nigeria, so why cant nigerians compete with them in the same conditions

if you like give the owners of small shops 24 hours light, they wont still grow..reason is that they dont understand the fundamentals of growing a small business.

There is some truth to this.

Nigerians are generally bad at marketting.

Can't tell you the number of naija shops/restaurants I have to stumble upon while driving in the US that don't even put themselves on google maps....which is how anyone finds anything these days.

Yet they will be there saying village people are against their business.
They are not even doing the bare minimum to help others find them.
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 6:26pm On May 26, 2019
lilwetdick:

Go on twitter, you will see what Nigerian innovation is depending on the people who you follow or who follow you though.

2buffagain:

Common to vote they cannot even agree to vote for newer presidents, is it revolution that Nigerians will now do?

It's not even a matter of rigging...
The average Nigerian on the street is still supporting either PDP or APC. The mumu of Nigerians pass rigging.

I believe in Naija.

What have you done or what did you do about it? If you haven't taken any physical step to tackling this hazard, you are just as guilty and responsible .
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by theunnamed: 6:32pm On May 26, 2019
lilwetdick:

maybe you are right but there are countries with the same conditions like us e.g is india...

India no be Nigeria mate oo
India has better conditions
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by jbblues24(m): 12:23am On May 29, 2019
Such shot, many fold, so good
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 12:48am On May 29, 2019
theunnamed:

Go on twitter, you will see what Nigerian innovation is depending on the people who you follow or who follow you though.

I believe in Naija.

What have you done or what did you do about it? If you haven't taken any physical step to tackling this hazard, you are just as guilty and responsible .

why do i have to go to twitter to check nigerian innovation, if something is innovative, people will see it live and it will have an impact in everyday lives

uber and taxify brought something innovative that we all benefit from
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by buzzcypha(m): 8:09pm On Sep 15, 2019
lilwetdick:

So you mean they will all make it if they have your fundamentals,
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Lonelypacifist6: 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2019
lilwetdick:
Why Nigeria will not be the powerhouse of tech in Africa.

1) No Large user base- Nigeria has a big population but many are tech illiterate, unsophisticated, poor and can't afford basic amenities, the middle class is small thus buying online is seen as luxury.. every quarter of the year, the NUC makes its mobile users data public and in the data, it says, we have almost 120 million internet users but in the real world, that number of users does not translate to traffic or cash.

2) No Top Engineers and researchers- engineers are the producers and makers of tech products, engineers in the sense means programmers ( front end and back end programmers, i might even add designers) these are the people you need to make a good tech product... in Nigeria, can we boast of having 1000 top notch programmers and designers? do we have tech hubs, can our universities produce these set of people who are expert in their trade-NO, for Nigeria to be the powerhouse of tech in Africa, we need large numbers of very good engineers. what about researchers, everyday people get phds and cant even improve their surroundings..how many research have these people taken..none.. they just have PhDs for pride and to brag and oppress other people..tell them to invent or create something new, they start complaining.

3)No Strong entrepreneurs-- do we have an entrepreneurial mentality in Nigeria- NO..presently many Nigerians do not dear to the take risk of starting a business or expanding the one they have, we can even look around us..yes, they say Nigerians are entrepreneurial but how many small businesses have grown to become big brands..look around you and can iya basira makes her small kiosk to become like kfc-no, can chinedu with his grocery shops turn his small shop into a large chain of grocery shop-no, we are good in starting business not good in expanding business.. how many top brands have come out of nigeria-none(lets forget Dangote), for Nigeria to be the powerhouse of tech in Africa, we must have young people willing to create new online businesses, new business models, new ways of doing business, young people that can lead engineers, scale up their business and create a global brand.

here we have the sissy boy, Facing a problem of identity or is it inferiority complex, Sissy boys complain about everything they can't fix anything in their lives
Re: Why Nigeria Can Never Be The Power House Of Tech In Africa by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
you are my hero, i love this, you are my God, what a genius write up, i want to learn from you

(1) (Reply)

After 9years Of Courtship, We Tied The Knot / Benue Ladies / Starting From Monday, I Will Be Giving 1k Airtime To A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.