Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou (38423 Views)

I Want To Buy A Car In Cotonou - How To Import Cars From Cotonou To Nigeria / How Oviecardealer Helped Me Purchased An SUV From Cotonou... / ⚫⚫ Planning To Buy A Car❓Got The Car VIN/Chassis Number❓Run It With CarGuideNG! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Nobody: 9:26am On May 27, 2019
chloride6:
Only point 1 is valid..

Dont listen to anyone who tells you they can help you work TINCAN port on the car..

Na only you go day when Customs go hold you for Benin - Ore

grin

Mehn

Benin ore

Bloody place

My pilot was parked and they said I underpaid duty

Had to part with 10k shocked

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 9:27am On May 27, 2019
Engrr:
There is a legal way of importing cars from Cotonu!
there is non all cars from land borders are illegal
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by femmoy(m): 9:37am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:
1. It is illegal. If vehicle is intercepted while crossing it can be seized permanently by the Govt.

2. Vehicles cannot be test driven before payment. Car lots are jam-packed with so many vehicles, and until payment is made, vehicle will not be removed from the packed lot. After payment no one will answer you.

3. vehicle might be vandalised when you go to make payment. When you come back things like jacks, floor mats and tiny parts might be missing when u get back

4. Possible breakdown when driving back to nigeria, if you are unlucky and the vehicle has faults when driving it back, it becomes an expensive fix sending parts across the border.

5. Vehicle theft . Your vehicle can be stolen while in transit without you ever knowing what happened to ur investment.

no 2 is completely false cos I tested my car before making any payments
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 9:38am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:

Is there a way? Please share, the wise ones will understand
pls don't listen to them, all land borders in Nigeria are illegal for importing cars, you stand a 50% chance of loosing your car, if Customs did not seize it the smuggler or agent will connive to rob you, you cannot report it any where coz its illegality. Even if you succeed in bringing it in to Nigeria Customs can seize it any time, you will look for a way to pay Customs duty you won't get coz the platform has been changed. Only Shipping lines submits VIN for clearance not individuals. I m a Customs officer I know what I m telling you.

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Mrcutestar: 9:42am On May 27, 2019
Number one point is the only reasonable reason I know. I've been to cotonou and I know what's happening there. You can test drive before paying for you car and the car will be secured after payment.
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by aikyg(m): 9:52am On May 27, 2019
Yes, I've driven it to Enugu and back to Lagos like three times. I did Enugu to Lagos in five hours.

Iwanttoto1:

U done carry d car go to east or outside lagos?
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by OBAGADAFFI: 9:53am On May 27, 2019
ITbomb:
That is, if you no know the way

Lol,

Even if you change your bill of lading to TIN-CAN(illegal) . You will still spend alot
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by mankand(m): 9:55am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:

Is there a way? Please share, the wise ones will understand

If you sabi your way, custom no fit seize am
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by madgoat(m): 9:55am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:
1. It is illegal. If vehicle is intercepted while crossing it can be seized permanently by the Govt.

2. Vehicles cannot be test driven before payment. Car lots are jam-packed with so many vehicles, and until payment is made, vehicle will not be removed from the packed lot. After payment no one will answer you.

3. vehicle might be vandalised when you go to make payment. When you come back things like jacks, floor mats and tiny parts might be missing when u get back

4. Possible breakdown when driving back to nigeria, if you are unlucky and the vehicle has faults when driving it back, it becomes an expensive fix sending parts across the border.

5. Vehicle theft . Your vehicle can be stolen while in transit without you ever knowing what happened to ur investment.

Dumb post
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by kernniejay(m): 9:57am On May 27, 2019
For James Bond's fans, check out collections of cars featured in 007 movies here: http://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/europe-photos/the-100-greatest-james-bond-cars/ss-BBQzeuS?li=BBJGqRL&ocid=iehp#image=101
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Dentalgist: 10:06am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:

I begged to differ with some of the points raised. I was in Cotonou few years ago and never experienced any of these things mentioned. Obviously now it is illegal buying cars through Cotonou, why can't you give more logical and convincing reasons why people shouldn't get their cars through there.
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by thebigkendo(m): 10:08am On May 27, 2019
Dentalgist:

I begged to differ with some of the points raised. I was in Cotonou few years ago and never experienced any of these things mentioned. Obviously now it is illegal buying cars through Cotonou, why can't you give more logical and convincing reasons why people shouldn't get their cars through there.

Illegal is not logical & convincing enough??

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by ruby360: 10:17am On May 27, 2019
IVECO tipper truck for sale in Lagos.

12tyre truck.

N7.5m

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Dentalgist: 10:18am On May 27, 2019
thebigkendo:

Illegal is not logical & convincing enough??
Depends on the angle from which you are looking at it. If you want people to stop engaging in an illegal act, you don't use lies and conjectures as reasons. No 1 is the only logical reason, every other points are baseless.
Please note, this is not to support people who still smuggle cars through Cotonou.
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by legalwealth(m): 10:19am On May 27, 2019
Dentalgist:

Land borders have been officially closed. So therefore, it is unlawful to bring cars/vehicles through Cotonou... it is that simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 10:20am On May 27, 2019
naijaguy123456:
Sit down there, people bring in thousands of cars every day from Cotonou.
and millions get seized by Customs everyday, why following an illegal route? Is it worth it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 10:24am On May 27, 2019
sleekpro:

Most of the things you wrote here are lies from the pit of hell.

Be possitive in your business.

I see to much bad belle here.
they are not lies bro, they are 100% true. Any car that follows through land border is smuggled and it stands a 70% chance of being seized by Customs sooner or latter, you won't even get a chance to pay duty coz only shipping lines in the sea port submits VINs for Clearance individuals cannot. I m a Customs officer I know what I m telling you
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Magic1: 10:27am On May 27, 2019
Legalo:

Say what you know. Everything you stated are all force. You are allowed to test drive any car you wish to buy irrespective of how jam parked the cars are parked.

I have bought many and I am sure of what I am saying.
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by thebigkendo(m): 10:31am On May 27, 2019
Dentalgist:

Depends on the angle from which you are looking at it. If you want people to stop engaging in an illegal act, you don't use lies and conjectures as reasons. No 1 is the only logical reason , every other points are baseless.
Please note, this is not to support people who still smuggle cars through Cotonou.

And i repeat point no 1 is not enough logical reason??

You need more logical reasons not to engage in illegal activity..
What other angles are their to look at an illegal activity from?
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 10:31am On May 27, 2019
Adamsdelrio:
Cotonou is not safe too? Where else is safe then?
all car imports through land borders are illegal only Seaports are allowed, do not let any 1 deceive you, any car from the borders stand a 70% chance of being seized by Customs or being robbed in cotonu by the agent or smuggler and no where for you to report coz its illegality
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by RealityShot: 10:32am On May 27, 2019
comradee1248:
pls don't listen to them, all land borders in Nigeria are illegal for importing cars, you stand a 50% chance of loosing your car, if Customs did not seize it the smuggler or agent will connive to rob you, you cannot report it any where coz its illegality. Even if you succeed in bringing it in to Nigeria Customs can seize it any time, you will look for a way to pay Customs duty you won't get coz the platform has been changed. Only Shipping lines submits VIN for clearance not individuals. I m a Customs officer I know what I m telling you.
do you ( customs) still sell impounded cars?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 10:39am On May 27, 2019
rushman003:
@OP stop using your own little knowledge and misinformation in the subject matter to derail people. My dad has been a Cotonou car dealer as long as 20yrs and he has not for once bought car with any defect or missing part till date! Tho way back early 20s they seize one of his car and he was able to retrieve it back and nothing like ever happen again....
but all land borders were officially closed since 2015 so any car from cotonu remains a smuggled car and stand a chance to be seized sooner or latter coz there is no way for you to pay the duty again hence only shipping lines in the seaports are allowed to submit their manifest with cars VINs. I m a Customs officer be guided
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Hydronium(m): 10:39am On May 27, 2019
C'est vrai?
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by comradee1248: 10:42am On May 27, 2019
RealityShot:
do you ( customs) still sell impounded cars?
they are sold on auction to the Highest bidder on a a website run by CBN. https://app.trade.gov.ng/eauction
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by chloride6: 10:43am On May 27, 2019
ntyce:
The Op is obviously not well enlightened....
It is not a crime to buy through Cotonu port, you just have to pay the required custom dues....

It is a crime mister man..
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by AgentGoat: 10:44am On May 27, 2019
Many Nigerian youths are so ignorant.

Which customs office at border that collect duty from 2015 till date?

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Legalo: 11:02am On May 27, 2019
MobilityExpress:
Supplentary Reasons NOT to Buy in Cotonou (Unless you are very experienced)

1) You can buy the same quality Cars in Nigeria cheaper (duty paid) or similar price range with minor difference not worth the stress

2) You are in control of your transaction in Nigeria. But in Cotonou, there are so many variables involved that are out of your control, like from changing currency, to security, to logistics, to clearing (flying of car), to riding a bike almost an hour or more across different car yards trying to find the right car for you, to language barrier (unless you speak French) as the agents cut price deals in front of the importer in a language you speak not and add their own on top etc

3) You might be buying a stolen car or a used car! Yes some cars being displayed as Tokunbo in Cotonou where stolen from other West African countries like Nigeria, Ghana etc. You have very tight chances of verification. Some are used, and re-packaged as Tokunbo but it's hard to tell apart with all the fake documents flying around and all the near perfect restoration job that leaves the cars shining like brand new. In other words, not every Tokunbo in Cotonou is a Tokunbo tokunbo.

4) Anything can go wrong at any stage of the purchase process. It is not as simple as A,B,C or 1, 2, 3.

5) Unless you have deep connection with Nigerian Customs or Nigerian Army or you know someone who does, then smuggling can go bad for you at any time. If they like, let them drive it under the river, the will meet Customs Fish Command Zone inside and Customs Mammy Water FOU Command and NPF anti-smuggling Unit There. You think say only you get sense? grin

6) They sell accidented cars in Cotonou too. It is not a Nigerian dealer only phenomenon. It happens all over Africa, in short, all over the world. Copart, IAAI etc sell worldwide. So it's not a Nigerian dealer thing.

7) Once you pay in Cotonou, your change of ownership name becomes OYO grin

Disclaimer: please buy your car anywhere or anyhow you want to buy it. It's not my business how you spend your money. I won't argue with anybody.

This is correct! !!! Only the wise ones will understand

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Legalo: 11:03am On May 27, 2019
comradee1248:
they are not lies bro, they are 100% true. Any car that follows through land border is smuggled and it stands a 70% chance of being seized by Customs sooner or latter, you won't even get a chance to pay duty coz only shipping lines in the sea port submits VINs for Clearance individuals cannot. I m a Customs officer I know what I m telling you

Where did you get the value 70per! !! It's a 50/50 chance! !!
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Legalo: 11:07am On May 27, 2019
madgoat:

Dumb post

Said by a Madgoat?

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Legalo: 11:08am On May 27, 2019
maynation:
In Nigeria when you tell us not to do something you are indirectly giving us clues to getting it done.

That is why only the wise ones will understand
Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Car In Cotonou by Yankee101: 11:29am On May 27, 2019
Stolen vehicles from naija are also retrofit and resold in Cotonou.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CUSTOM CLEARING AGENT / Planning To Buy A Car? Contact Us On +2347011116171 For Detailed VIN Reports! / Dubai Set To Launch Flying Taxi Service By July.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.