Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy (2664 Views)

"Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / Inside Volkswagens Massive Glass Towers Where 800 New Cars Are Stored For Pickup / These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by autoxpatpro: 4:26pm On May 28, 2019
Hi, every one, am Mr. Bayo. i started driving with used naija vehicle, a Honda brand,e.o.d to be precised.
I ended up spending almost half the value of the car fixing it because it was poorly maintained.
The glasses could neither wind up nor down. the suspensions alone took about a #100k, AC was another problem ,
since then, i like going along with an engineer, a trusted one. please car enthusiast, always consult a professional before
buying a naija used car.however, you could be lucky sometimes but can't be assured
this is my car -my experience...kindly share yours for other to learn.

Learn more on autoxpatpro.com or visit our youtube channel:autoxpattv
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by nurey(m): 5:07pm On May 28, 2019
This is a poor job at PRO/advertising. Your use of "dangerous" to generalise your bad investment choice is highly uncalled for.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by thebigkendo(m): 8:08pm On May 28, 2019
autoxpatpro:
l.
The engine glass was replaced with a long stick.

Biko what is engine glass?

2 Likes

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 28, 2019
nurey:
This is a poor job at PRO/advertising. Your use of "dangerous" to generalise your bad investment choice is highly uncalled for.

And his English is bad.

cc: grammarnazi

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 11:13pm On May 28, 2019
Chai, see all shades of savages.

Una no fit just pretend to be nice.

You guys are dangerous, expecially nurey
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by sooperrescue(m): 11:28pm On May 28, 2019
He says that it is risky to buy naija used cars because we the mechanics ruin the cars.

1 Like

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Bigsteveg(m): 12:35am On May 29, 2019
AutoSupport:
Chai, see all shades of savages.

Una no fit just pretend to be nice.

You guys are dangerous, expecially nurey

H
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by RZArecta2(m): 12:46am On May 29, 2019
This is why I like to bite peoples head, op please next time put graphic content near your English biko angry

3 Likes

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:21am On May 29, 2019
Bigsteveg:

Hello Autosupport, please my Toyota Camry 07 is telling me maint reqd, I serviced it in March with Mobil 1 5W-20 extended performance high mileage formula and since then I have travelled less than 4000 miles. I notice that when I want start the engine, it signals the main reqd but disappears after sometime.

The engine oil is supposed to go for nothing less than 15000 miles. Kindly assist with this, thanks.

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

15k miles on an oil change. Wawu.
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 6:09am On May 29, 2019
Bigsteveg:

Hello Autosupport, please my Toyota Camry 07 is telling me maint reqd, I serviced it in March with Mobil 1 5W-20 extended performance high mileage formula and since then I have travelled less than 4000 miles. I notice that when I want start the engine, it signals the main reqd but disappears after sometime.

The engine oil is supposed to go for nothing less than 15000 miles. Kindly assist with this, thanks.

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

You need to reset the Maintenance required light.

Here is how to:

1. Switch of car, open ignition but engine off.

2. On your dashboard (instrument cluster). You will see one long black knob. Press it to toggle between mileage, Trip A and Trip B.

3. Press down, till trip A resets to Zero.

4. Press again and hold the knob down on trip A.

5. Switch off ignition and switch back on. You will see something like the this. : - - - - -

6. Hold down till the lines go off.

That's it. You have reset your maintenance required light.

Nb:

1. You might to try out at trip B, or odometer reading if hold down at A doesn't work.

2. The maintenance interval for your camry should be 5,000 miles (when recommended oil is used, you can confirm this from your manual) , not 15,000 miles. Whoever sold that oil will claim it will do 15,000 miles. Most oil sold in Nigerian market are not any different from groundnut oil. Quality synthetic oil formulated to do that mileage will actually go 15,000 miles. But don't take the chance. Change your oil every 5,000 miles.

Here is a video on how to reset your maintenance required light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZa2bTVWcSU

Regards

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by dru23(m): 7:56am On May 30, 2019
AutoSupport:

You need to reset the Maintenance required light.

Here is how to:

1. Switch of car, open ignition but engine off.

2. On your dashboard (instrument cluster). You will see one long black knob. Press it to toggle between mileage, Trip A and Trip B.

3. Press down, till trip A resets to Zero.

4. Press again and hold the knob down on trip A.

5. Switch off ignition and switch back on. You will see something like the this. : - - - - -

6. Hold down till the lines go off.

That's it. You have reset your maintenance required light.

Nb:

1. You might to try out at trip B, or odometer reading if hold down at A doesn't work.

2. The maintenance interval for your camry should be 5,000 miles (when recommended oil is used, you can confirm this from your manual) , not 15,000 miles. Whoever sold that oil will claim it will do 15,000 miles. Most oil sold in Nigerian market are not any different from groundnut oil. Quality synthetic oil formulated to do that mileage will actually go 15,000 miles. But don't take the chance. Change your oil every 5,000 miles.

Here is a video on how to reset your maintenance required light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZa2bTVWcSU

Regards

Do your research bro.. I use the extended performance on all my uber cars. I do oil change every 12k miles, with ultra synthetic oil filter fram that is good for 15k miles oil change.. My car runs lovely and smooth.. If you know, you know

1 Share

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by dru23(m): 8:01am On May 30, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

15k miles on an oil change. Wawu.

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 9:53pm On May 30, 2019
dru23:

Do your research bro.. I use the extended performance on all my uber cars. I do oil change every 12k miles, with ultra synthetic oil filter fram that is good for 15k miles oil change.. My car runs lovely and smooth.. If you know, you know

OK sir
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Neil0072009(m): 9:11am On May 31, 2019
AutoSupport:

OK sir

Please where can I see the miles my Toyota Camry has travel to know when to change oil please

Cause I am just changing oil when I think it’s a bit black
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 3:49pm On May 31, 2019
Neil0072009:

Please where can I see the miles my Toyota Camry has travel to know when to change oil please

Cause I am just changing oil when I think it’s a bit black

I have attached two images with this post.

The first is a sample of an odometer reading.

The second is a knob you can press, till you see ODO. It will toggle between Trip A, Trip B, ODO. The ODO reading is your cars millage.

That black long knob, press it till you see ODO.

Let me know if I could help further

Regards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Neil0072009(m): 11:56am On Jun 02, 2019
AutoSupport:

I have attached two images with this post.

The first is a sample of an odometer reading.

The second is a knob you can press, till you see ODO. It will toggle between Trip A, Trip B, ODO. The ODO reading is your cars millage.

That black long knob, press it till you see ODO.

Let me know if I could help further

Regards

Yes very helpful but got something to ask people my is showing many number and how can I know the new miles that is just added
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Neil0072009(m): 11:58am On Jun 02, 2019
Neil0072009:

Yes very helpful but got something to ask people my is showing many number and how can I know the new miles that is just added

Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2019
Neil0072009:

Let's say the ODO is 145,650 when you did your last oil change. Add 5000, that means your next oil change is 150,650

Btw, your camry will pop out maintenance required warning when your car is due for oil change. The algorithm used in determining this has just the recommended oil factored.

Using your 5,000 addition is most reliable.. The 5000 miles also apply when you use recommended oil. The recommended oil viscosity and API rating is written on the engine oil cap.

. Regards
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Rubbiish(m): 7:01pm On Jun 02, 2019
AutoSupport:

Let's say the ODO is 145,650 when you did your last oil change. Add 5000, that means your next oil change is 150,650

Btw, your camry will pop out maintenance required warning when your car is due for oil change. The algorithm used in determining this has just the recommended oil factored.

Using your 5,000 addition is most reliable.. The 5000 miles also apply when you use recommended oil. The recommended oil viscosity and API rating is written on the engine oil cap.

. Regards

I guess this is for engine oil, does same miles apply to 04 corolla or just Camry? What about gear oil, when is it recommended for change? Thanks for ur help sir.
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 7:25pm On Jun 02, 2019
Rubbiish:

I guess this is for engine oil, does same miles apply to 04 corolla or just Camry? What about gear oil, when is it recommended for change? Thanks for ur help sir.

Yes it does, if you are using 5w30

The Transmission fluid should be be changed every two years, or 50,000 km , which ever comes first(this is standard recommendation). Though the 04 corolla has around the transmission dipstick written lifelong fluid. Albeit for normal usage.

Your owners manual is your best bet for routine service information and specifications.

Regards
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by Rubbiish(m): 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2019
AutoSupport:

The Transmission fluid should be be changed every two years, or 50,000 km , which ever comes first(this is standard recommendation). Though the 04 corolla has around the transmission dipstick written lifelong fluid. Albeit for normal usage.

Your owners manual is your best bet for routine service information and specifications.

Regards
Thanks alot sir
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2019
Rubbiish:

Thanks alot sir

My Pleasure
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by sooperrescue(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2019
AutoSupport:

Regards
Bros, don't go and ruin people's gears of. 15k miles or one year is the standard recommendation for transmission fluid changes.. I have seen those cars that the manufacturer claims does not need fluid changes but we find out that the oil is dirty and less than 3 litres out of 8.
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:56am On Jun 05, 2019
sooperrescue:

Bros, don't go and ruin people's gears of. 15k miles or one year is the standard recommendation for transmission fluid changes.. I have seen those cars that the manufacturer claims does not need fluid changes but we find out that the oil is dirty and less than 3 litres out of 8.

Citation needed.
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by AutoSupport(m): 9:24am On Jun 05, 2019
sooperrescue:

Ok Sir

Regards
Re: Why Naija Used Cars are Not always safe To Buy by adanny01(m): 11:24am On Jun 05, 2019
sooperrescue:

On one hand, you guys would say, "follow manufacturer's recommendation".

On the other hand, you will say, "don't follow manufacturer's recommendation".

Which 1 nah?

Should we forget all manufacturer's recommendation?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Much For Fairly Used Toyota Venza 2013 Model In Cotonou / What Happens Once Ones Temporary Driver's License Expired? / Help On Excessive Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.