Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos (10555 Views)

Forbes Index: Dangote Africa’s Richest For 12th Consecutive Year / Top 5 Business Lessons From Aliko Dangote, Africa’s Richest Man / "I Want To Be The Biggest Philanthropist In Africa" - Aliko Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by alphonsojaybaz: 5:06am On May 29, 2019
Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist

The president of Dangote Group of Companies, Aliko Dangote, through his foundation, Aliko Dangote Foundation (AFD) has been recognised for his love for humanity in desiring to promote the welfare of the less privileged. Through unprecedented donations in Nigeria and in Africa in general, Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, the businessman has been helping victims of natural disasters, building schools and hospitals, and supporting initiatives to eradicate poverty and debilitating diseases such as polio. The Aliko Dangote Foundation is the Philanthropic endeavor of Alhaji Aliko Dangote. The main objective of the Foundation is to reduce the number of lives lost to malnutrition and disease. Combating Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) in children, is at the core of our programming. Improving the outcome of children’s lives, forms the basis for the work the Foundation is engaged in, using its investments in health, education, and economic empowerment to help lift people out of poverty. Aliko Dangote has been rated 11th of the 50 World’ Greatest leaders for 2019. The rating carried out by the Fortune Magazine, an American multinational business magazine headquartered in New York City, United States was released recently and focused mainly on the businesses run by the men and how they have used it to impact their society positively. The time-tested magazine, which first edition was published in February 1930, said the world’s greatest leaders both men and women are transforming the world and inspiring others to do so in business, government, philanthropy and the arts. “These thinkers, speakers, and doers make bold choices and take big risks- and move others to do the same”, the magazine declared. This is the first time Fortune magazine is recognizing and including Aliko Dangote in the annual ranking. Specifically, Dangote having popped up in the magazine’s radar earned nomination after being adjudged as having used business to acquire wealth and who is now converting his wealth into impactful philanthropy through his Aliko Dangote Foundation. The ranking of Dangote as one of the greatest business leaders has attracted comments by eminent persons around the world who described him as worthy of the nomination going by his business acumen and philanthropic gestures. Global business giant and founder of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Mr. Bill Gate extolled the efforts of Dangote in making businesses play roles in provision of sound public health through his various interventions in health care issues especially in the fight against malnutrition and routine polio. Gates, who himself was ranked along with Dangote, said “Aliko Dangote, through his leadership at the Aliko Dangote Foundation, is a key partner in the Polio eradication effort, strengthening routine immunisation and fighting malnutrition in Nigeria and across Africa. Aliko bridges the gap between private business and public health in a unique way and our shared belief that Nigeria will thrive when every Nigerian is able to thrive drives our partnership.” Renowned activist and co-founder of ONE, Paul David Hewson, popularly called Mr. Bono said he was not surprised at Mr. Dangote’s feat globally, saying his vision is as big as the African continent. Bono, a global campaigner on taking action to end extreme poverty especially in Africa said, “Aliko has a vision just the size of his continent, but with humility of somebody who has just started his first job. It’s no surprise to me that Fortune would recognise his leadership because we have seen first-hand, through his service on ONE’s Board, the benefits of his wise counsel and grace.” Also, the popular economic analyst, Mr. Bismark Rewane stated that, “Aliko remains understated but very potent and Africa’s most successful and decorated entrepreneur. He is a global financial and managerial behemoth.” Dangote as the Africa’s richest worth $16.4 billion, according to Bloomberg and the four publicly traded companies under the umbrella of his Dangote Industries now account for about a third of the value of the Nigerian stock exchange. That wealth is based on a big bet on Nigeria’s economic independence, Dangote’s peers give him credit for helping the country become self-sufficient in the sectors in which his companies compete (cement, agriculture and mining) The Aliko Dangote Foundation (ADF) is the Philanthropic endeavor of Aliko Dangote. The main objective of the Foundation is to reduce the number of lives lost to malnutrition and disease. The Foundation is poised to combat Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) in children, as the core of its programming. It has also resolved to use its investments in health, education, and economic empowerment to help lift people out of poverty. It would be recalled that Dangote was last year ranked among 75 most powerful persons on the planet, ahead of the Vice-President of the United States of America, Mike Pence. Aliko Dangote has been named among most powerful persons in the world for the past five consecutive years. According to the Forbe’s 2018 ranking of the World Powerful people, Dangote ranked among world leaders like Xi Jinping, the Chinese President, Vladimir Putin the Russian President and Donald Trump, the President of the US, all of whom were ranked first, second and third respectively. He was the only Nigerian on the list and one of the only two Africans who made the list with the other being the Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who was ranked 45thmost powerful. In the same vein, he was named among the 100 most influential personalities in the world in 2018 by Time Magazine, leading business broadcast organisation. The CNBC had earlier in same year ranked Dangote as one of the 25 people which have had most profound impact on business and finance worldwide. He was rated the most influential African by Jeune Afrique in their classification of the most influential 50 Africans in 2018, and was also named the 6th most charitable person in the world in the same year according to Richtopia, a United Kingdom-based digital platform. He is, in addition, the richest African, according to Forbes. Dangote stepped up his humanitarian activities recently spending billions of Naira to build hospitals and critical hospital equipment, the lack of which has forced Nigerians of means to seek medical attention abroad. He also donated a N1.2 billion Business School complex to Bayero University in Kano and another one for the University of Ibadan Business School. Last month he donated 10 blocks of hall of students’ hostel that can accommodate 2,160 beds to the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna state The business mogul has continued through the Foundation by disbursing N10 billion to vulnerable women across the 774 local governments in the country. He made a donation of $2 million to the World Food Programme as part of efforts to help Pakistani nationals devastated by floods in the year 2010. Dangote was the chairperson of the Presidential Committee on Flood Relief, which raised over N11.35 billion, of which Dangote himself contributed N2.5 billion, an amount higher than the entire contribution from the 36 state governors in Nigeria. So far, the Foundation has spent over N7 billion in the troubled North Eastern part of Nigeria to see to the full reintegration of persons and communities ravaged by the activities of Boko Haram terrorists.

source: https://eyesoflagos.com/2019/05/29/dangote-africas-biggest-philanthropist/

3 Likes

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by BadiratT: 5:40am On May 29, 2019
That's wonderful
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:40am On May 29, 2019
........the businessman has been helping victims of natural disasters, building schools and hospitals, and supporting initiatives to eradicate poverty and debilitating diseases such as polio. 
This is the reason God will continue to bless this man.
Bill Gates is another good example.
It is simply good to be good.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Jgovt(m): 5:41am On May 29, 2019
Dango Dango
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by momove4real25(f): 5:42am On May 29, 2019
K
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by ednut1(m): 5:42am On May 29, 2019
Despite all the bill gates and dangote moves. People still poor or never benefitted from their chariry. Poverty ehn. Just die

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by oismail(m): 5:43am On May 29, 2019
Try
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Bridget95(f): 5:44am On May 29, 2019
Government of Nigeria made billionaire.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Timekeeper: 5:46am On May 29, 2019
Yes so... Big man, big heart. Pls your region is still backward. Help them sir

2 Likes

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Timekeeper: 5:46am On May 29, 2019
Bridget95:

Abi you are jealous again

Did the govt make ur own poor ni

14 Likes

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by VillagePipu: 5:48am On May 29, 2019
Bridget95:

Before nko?
Who should have made him a billionaire, government of Biafra?

Better go and join the queue to collect your kerosene from Ikpeazu.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 5:48am On May 29, 2019
What a terrible way to write Op. No spacings or paragraphs

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Beedude(m): 5:49am On May 29, 2019
No wonder he doesn't pay tithe and still excel. Giving to the needy works for me than paying tithe. Our God is a wonderful God.

1 Like

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by hungryboy(m): 5:53am On May 29, 2019
Timekeeper:
Yes so... Big man, big heart. Pls your region is still backward. Help them sir
oga oh, the first law of helping the poor is that you don't become one, Dangote has tried his best in helping his northern brothers, if him wan help everyone for North, him money go finish for only Kano and him go become almajiri for dia.

7 Likes

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by aalangel(f): 5:57am On May 29, 2019
The Biggest Lie..

4 Likes

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by aalangel(f): 5:58am On May 29, 2019
Thoniameek:

Really terrible...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 5:58am On May 29, 2019
Thoniameek:
I couldn't get past the first sentence.Poor writing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 6:03am On May 29, 2019
Ridiculous write up.

But if i was ever positioned to become stupendously rich(in billions of dollars)through government assistance and connivance,I will throw crumbs to the peasants every now and then.That way I can end up on nairaland and other blogs as God's gift to philanthropy.Its good for business as well lol.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 6:04am On May 29, 2019
PHILANTHROPY IS JUST FOR THE BILLIONAIRES TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES NOT BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE DEPRIVED.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 6:06am On May 29, 2019
VillagePipu:

Before nko?
Who should have made him a billionaire, government of Biafra?

Better go and join the queue to collect your kerosene from Ikpeazu.
I have noticed that you are always mentioning kerosene and ikpeazu.Whats the story behind it?Why are you upset about it?

1 Like

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by webincomeplus(m): 6:11am On May 29, 2019
R2bees:
PHILANTHROPY IS JUST FOR THE BILLIONAIRES TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES NOT BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE DEPRIVED.
Whatever! The most important thing is that they are giving back to the society. After all, there's no rule that makes that binding on them. So, if they tread the path of generosity, appreciate them for that rather than spew trash.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by VillagePipu: 6:12am On May 29, 2019
TheWrita:
I have noticed that you are always mentioning kerosene and ikpeazu.Whats the story behind it?Why are you upset about it?

Ikpeazu is a mediocre loafer whose performance is like that of Yeye Bello. He shared kerosene to bribe hungry Abians and won a reelection.

This shows there poverty epidemic in Abia.

Please read this link
https://www.nairaland.com/5065222/ikpeazu-shares-kerosene-abians-pics#76426877

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 6:21am On May 29, 2019
Kerosene is even better.At least it will last longer than the one tenth bag of rice they shared at alausa lagos or the other funny stuff Fayose was sharing or the other ones they are sharing around the country.
All the Nigerian politicians are the same bro.
Unless you are one of them,pls dont pick and choose the one to condemn and the one to exonerate.Lets be one the side of fairness and justice all the time.
I deliberately asked you why you are mentioning ikpeazu because I think you are biased against the Igbos.
Look,we are all in this mess together.Hunger does not see tribe.We all bleed red.God forbid if you need a blood transfusion urgently,the last thing they will ask is what tribe the blood came from
Let's stop all these silly and counter productive tribal fights and FACE the real enemy.They are using you to enrich themselves while you remain poor.

I may be wasting my time writing this to you but at least I have said it
I noticed you are always shouting about kerosene and ikpeazu.Thats why I wrote this.Have a good day

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 6:25am On May 29, 2019
webincomeplus:

Whatever! The most important thing is that they are giving back to the society. After all, there's no rule that makes that binding on them. So, if they tread the path of generosity, appreciate them for that rather than spew trash.
No please.If you know what these billionaires have taken out of society and the environment, then you will know that these crumbs they are giving you is just rubbish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:44am On May 29, 2019
TheWrita:
Kerosene is even better.At least it will last longer than the one tenth bag of rice they shared at alausa lagos or the other funny stuff Fayose was sharing or the other ones they are sharing around the country.
All the Nigerian politicians are the same bro.
Unless you are one of them,pls dont pick and choose the one to condemn and the one to exonerate.Lets be one the side of fairness and justice all the time.
I deliberately asked you why you are mentioning ikpeazu because I think you are biased against the Igbos.
Look,we are all in this mess together.Hunger does not see tribe.We all bleed red.God forbid if you need a blood transfusion urgently,the last thing they will ask is what tribe the blood came from
Let's stop all these silly and counter productive tribal fights and FACE the real enemy.They are using you to enrich themselves while you remain poor.

I may be wasting my time writing this to you but at least I have said it
I noticed you are always shouting about kerosene and ikpeazu.Thats why I wrote this.Have a good day
Fayose did that and lost woefully!
Do u want to compare development of Lagos with Abia? undecided
Even Ebonyi without oil and far less IGR has completed 3 flyovers yet Abia is still putting pylons 4yrs after at Osisioma!
My brother i am an Abian (this embarrasses me) but truth is Abians deserve any riddicle meted on us due to this last election! TRULY WE DO!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by emmylight4u: 6:49am On May 29, 2019
..my guy African poverty bigger than solution....�..
ednut1:
Despite all the bill gates and dangote moves. People still poor or never benefitted from their chariry. Poverty ehn. Just die
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by jaygogna(m): 6:57am On May 29, 2019
Bridget95:
American and Russian billionaires nko.... yeye pikin
Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by new2012: 7:02am On May 29, 2019
Damn!

First our musicians became praise worshipers of people for morsel of bread, then our bloggers, then newspapers..
Wtf!

No objectivity of any sort.

For the records, Dangote's truck has killed and is still killing more people on the highway than death itself.

His trucks had destroyed several highways, roads, dual carriage ways, gutters, etc and he'll just build one near his terrain to garner praises..

He gets fx at extraordinary rate from CBN as whistle blown by Sanusi.. But the mentally backward masses won't see that. They'll see a guy that throw crumbs at them. Even an idiot, should he get fx at same rate with Dangote will be come a millionaire in USD.

This guy is wealthy in terms of govt money only. Name one project he has done to touch the masses, don't tell me shit abt what he did @ ABU, or Kano, or Obajana or Apapa and yes we don't want his projects if everything is done aright in this country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by mu2sa2: 7:02am On May 29, 2019
Dangotes will forever be wealthy like the Rockefellers. Why? Simple! Aliko Dangote has invested his money in solid assets across Africa and the world- mainly cement factories and now the irresistible, lucrative oil and gas. Assets like these grow almost indefinitely and don't crash overnight like shares. Dangote is a shrewd businessman and this explains why he's able to build factories in a dozen African countries. He is also very prudent and maintains a modest lifestyle devoid of extravagance. Can you believe that he says he doesn't own a house outside Nigeria! Smart guy indeed!
Lest I forget, Dangote is at present an eligible bachelor at 62, though a triple divorcee. For the ladies who would want to try their luck, well, just remember that you read it here that being successful and filthy rich doesn't necessarily mean a man will be a fantastic, romantic person- in fact, he may be the opposite. If you're counting billions and trillions in your head every day, you won't have the fvcking time for anything else - you think money, drink money, eat money, even worship the damn thing! Money is your life and your life is money and everything else comes second.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Nobody: 7:09am On May 29, 2019
TroubleMaker47:

Fayose did that and lost woefully!
Do u want to compare development of Lagos with Abia? undecided
Even Ebonyi without oil and far less IGR has completed 3 flyovers yet Abia is still putting pylons 4yrs after at Osisioma!
My brother i am an Abian (this embarrasses me) but truth is Abians deserve any riddicle meted on us due to this last election! TRULY WE DO!!!
If we are to compare Lagos and Abia in absolute terms ...then abia state could be doing 10 times better than Lagos.
By absolute terms ..I mean the internally generated revenue of both states.Lagos was the capital of Nigeria for crying out loud.They also house the only functioning sea port in Nigeria and dont forget they still collect allocation from FG.

Please let's reason it out objectively.

If all that money is used as it should be then,we are not supposed to have a single pothole in Lagos and the means of transportation should be subways and trains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote: Africa’s Biggest Philanthropist - Eyesoflagos by Fulmigati: 7:10am On May 29, 2019
Nigerians will say they are against small time Yahoo boys, while at the same time look up to big time crooks like Dangote.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Products That Can Be Imported Into Nigeria / How To Grow Your Business Online / LASG Reopens Alaba And Trade Fair Markets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.