|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,715,456 members, 6,417,961 topics. Date: Monday, 02 August 2021 at 08:17 PM
|The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 6:32pm On May 29, 2019|
(Please forgive me for the overall quality of the video, it's my first try)
Watch the video above and/or read the review below. Enjoy!
The design of the S10+ isn't exactly new, it's been around since the Galaxy S6. It has been refined over time and now it's great, overall build quality is good. 'Glass-slab' design i like to call it.
Definitely feels very premium but then it's a glass build, so i always rely on good cases from the likes of 'Spigen' to keep it protected. I've dropped my phone once, the tough armor case from Spigen protected it well.
The display is gorgeous, one of the brightest displays on the market if not the brightest at 1200 nits. Outdoor visibility is excellent. The taking point of that display however is the hole-punch. The cutout housing the front camera and depth sensor. It doesn't disturb me, even as it blocks out some parts of a video, but how much can you really miss out on? However, it may disturb some others as it's kinda 'odd' having a hole in your display. Well, two in the case of the S10+. The display is curved of course but that's not an advantage in terms of functionality. Infact when you aren't used to it, your palm area will register many accidental touches. I rather a flat display for efficiency, but that curved display sure is great to look at. Aesthetics.
The device is waterproof, IP68 rated which means, yes! You can go for a swim with it, or wash it when it's dirty (Please don't) .
The new Samsung skin on top of Android 'One UI' is great. Works very well, no lags, everything is smooth. I always felt like the Galaxy S9, Note 9 and the likes... Were good phone, great hardware bottlenecked by a mediocre software 'Touchwiz'. Now, One UI coupled with 8GB of RAM and the Exynos 9820, everything is a breeze. The Snapdragon version is a little bit faster, i have seen videos. However, that doesn't mean the Exynos one is a slouch in anyway. Everything is quick. Samsung did finally fixed their UI. THANK GOD!
Breaking One UI down, i love it's features. There are a handful of useful features which I think are worth a mention.
1. Night Mode: I mean, the way to look at any thing is in black or well, dark mode or well 'Night Mode'. Lol. This is the feature that makes the whole UI darker and this being an AMOLED display, blacks just look fantastic. And yh, you save some battery in the process. Darker colours save battery on AMOLED screens especially black. So, you want to use a dark wallpaper. They look better anyways. Win-Win.
2. Gestures: I did try the gestures for a little bit, they do work well and I guess especially for someone coming from maybe an iPhone X, it would make them feel at home. Sorta, Kinda. Lol. Gestures aren't excellent, but it's good to have them and they do work well.
3. Navigation Buttons (Custom): This is one feature that i feel isn't mentioned enough. I love that i can place the 'back' navigation button on the left instead of on the right where it is by default. Having used alot of OnePlus devices, back button on the left is 'home' to me. Lol.
4. Bixby Button Remap: After one or two software updates, Samsung added the option to remap the Bixby Button to launch any app on your choice. I have mine set to launch 'Apple Music'. Yes! Ironic much, but Apple music is what i use. However, when you double press then Bixby itself launches. Which i never do, and will never do. Bixby once identified a photo of a Honda Accord as a Lamborghini. LOL. That was the end of that.
5. Toggle 2K-FHD: I think it's great that Samsung has made it possible to switch between Full HD+ (2280x1080) resolution and 2K+ (3040x1440). This is mainly geared towards saving battery as your device uses less battery when it has less pixels to push. I used the device on Full HD for a while, afterall that's how it comes out of the box. Only recently, i did decide to bump the display up to 2K and i instantly noticed a difference. To the untrained eyes, there's no difference. But to me, texts got that little bit sharper and general display quality was better. Then i asked myself, why have I been driving this Ferrari like a Toyota?
6. Wireless Powershare: This is probably the stand-out feature for the Galaxy S10 line of phones. The ability to use the device itself to charge other 'wireless charging enabled' devices really is 'neat'. It's not as fast as a traditional wireless charging pad of course but there's some use for it. I did top off my brother's iPhone X one time. Lord knows, those bitten apple lovers always need to charge. It did also WOW him too of course. Lol. However, this feature is targeted at charging accessories like the Galaxy watch and the new Galaxy buds, which I've tried by the way and they are great.
7. Power Bank: Just like the feature above, you can also plug in a Type C - Type C cable into your device and use it to charge other devices. It almost feels like Samsung knew built a battery champ and that 4100mAh battery is capable of alot. I did plug the other end into my MacBook Pro and it was able to charge it. Lol at least, the charging indicator showed. Don't be crazy enough to spend on this lol. However, i think for smaller devices this can be a useful feature.
1. Screen Time: I guess i already spilled the beans calling it a battery champ a few moments ago. Yes! This is arguably the best part of this device, battery life. This thing is an absolute battery monster! A tank. With my usage, on FHD+ resolution I ever so 'EASILY' get 8 hours of screen time. Alot of times, 9-10hrs of screen time. I have added screenshots to the video for you to look at. I don't worry about battery with this guy, i never do. On 2K+ display I'll have to say 7.5 hours easily and 8-9hrs total or about the same really. I guess it depends on the apps used. Right now, typing this, I have... (Goes to check) 54% battery left and i already have 4hrs 53mins of screen time already with lots of texting (WhatsApp) and listening to music (Apple Music). I will try to attach that screenshot to this post.
2. Charging speed - The device charges relatively fast, about 50% ish in 30 minutes. Which is fast. However, coming from the OnePlus 6T that can do around 65% in the same time. It's hard to praise it's charging speed. Overtime, i have gotten used to this 'slower charging'. I can't wait to try Warp charge on the OnePlus 7 Pro which is said to be 50% in 20 mins (I think). Should be something. Conclusion, charging speed is really good. It's just not the best, No.
- 12 MP, f/1.5-2.4 (wide) - OIS
- 12 MP, f/2.4 (telephoto) - OIS, 2X optical zoom
- 16 MP, f/2.2 (ultrawide)
I did leave the part of the phone I was disappointed in the most for last. Before i say anything else, maybe it was unfair to compare it to 'King Pixel 3 XL'. However, you prove you are the strongest guy by beating up the strongest guy. So!
I was indeed disappointed with the pictures produced by the camera of the GS10+, i really did expect more. The only thing i can praise is dynamic range which really is just the whole story as all the photos from the S10 plus are simply 'bright'. Brighter photos than other devices, just not better. At some point, it might be a thing of personal preference. I did show a comparison with the Pixel 3XL, using both devices to shoot a car. You will notice immediately that the S10+ photo is brighter. However, the photo from the 3XL has more detail. Look at the headlamps area and the lines around the body of the car. Her curves, if you may
Some may still prefer the S10 plus photo. But to me, if the Pixel is at 10/10 then the S10+ one is 7 at best. 7.5 to stop the Samsung fanboys from sniping at me.
There is also a dedicated Night mode Samsung added in the last software update, it does work for what it is. But comparing it to the Pixel 3XL, you start to ask yourself "What's wrong with Samsung?". May not actually be a case of Samsung being bad, but a case of the 3XL being too good. A comparison is in the video. Watch it.
The front camera is worse, all the photos appear grainy and soft even after disabling the beauty mode. I do not like the selfie camera. It's not good. Period.
The story with the camera is not all bad, No. The 16MP ultra-wide angle lens with 123 degree field of view is wide enough to stir up as much drama as you want in your shots. This is no doubt the best part of this camera setup and you can have alot of fun shooting with it, i also think it produces better colors compared to the main wide camera. The Telephoto lens on the other hand, has worse quality compared to the main shooter.
I did test a GCam mod on the Snapdragon Galaxy S10e and the photos looked instantly BETTER. A lot better. Selfie camera especially. This just goes to show that the problem isn't the camera hardware but Samsung's camera software/algorithms. So, if this device gets a good GCam mod, there's no telling how well it can perform. Even the OP 6T + GCam was amazing. I do also need to mention that the Snapdragon 855 version has better chance of GCam tho. I think there's a beta version already. The Exynos version may never get a stable GCam version.
In conclusion, the Galaxy S10 Plus is indeed one of the most complete devices on the market right now. It does have many many things going for it and really just the camera letting it down. Goodnews is that it's all software and it can get better and with Samsung frequently updating this device, there's even a better chance it happens BUT it's just not there. Not just yet!
Thank you for reading, if you enjoyed this write-up. Please like and/or share this post. Be sure to watch the video also. Cheers!
12 Likes 4 Shares
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by princeade86(m): 6:34pm On May 29, 2019|
Another wasting of money.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 6:36pm On May 29, 2019|
Sorry for wasting YOUR money. Small mentality.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by sauceEEP(m): 6:43pm On May 29, 2019|
Nice review, the OnePlus 7 pro when is it gonna touch down?
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 6:46pm On May 29, 2019|
Between tomorrow and Monday. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the kind words. Watch the video if you can. Cheers
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by sauceEEP(m): 6:50pm On May 29, 2019|
Stanley08:I just did, what camera did you use? My rating for the YouTube video is 6/10...... focus issues and a dull presentation.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 6:56pm On May 29, 2019|
I think it got better after the focus thing stopped. 6 is harsh, but I'll take it. I did mention that i was doing only one take, so i never expected an excellent video. Not 6 tho. Lol.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Chuksteric(m): 11:07pm On May 29, 2019|
Samsung should work on their software! When is the pixel 3a coming to Nigeria ohhh
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 11:40pm On May 29, 2019|
Simple as that. A new software that affects the camera i hear is coming very soon. I think some regions already received. Hopefully, it's better.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by emmylad4(m): 8:24am On May 30, 2019|
Rubbish review... Camera is worse?? Especially the front camera??
You're really a clown..you just come and voice out rubbish out of ignorance, you just point your camera and shoot when you know nothing about the image produced, no professional interpretation..even dxomark rates it as the best selfie phone right now...go and make research before coming here to blunt rubbish again, and to save your face, consult a professional photographer to help interpret images... thanks
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 9:46am On May 30, 2019|
This is what I call a concise review. Love it. Kudos
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 9:46am On May 30, 2019|
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 9:48am On May 30, 2019|
emmylad4:he didn't say the camera isn't great. But nothing beats Pixel 3XL in terms of camera in mobiles now
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Kingkun69(m): 9:48am On May 30, 2019|
emmylad4:why are you so pissed is it because u couldn't afford it or what
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 10:08am On May 30, 2019|
Lol. It appears we have a butthurt fanboy here. Tell me after you've tried it yourself 'emmylad'. Hard to take you seriously with that name.
You are referencing to me the same dx0mark that thinks the S9 camera is better than the Pixel 2 XL. And that Pixel 3 is only better by 2 points?! Lol. Stop playing.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 10:40am On May 30, 2019|
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 10:41am On May 30, 2019|
Thanks. Took some time to write lol, glad i went through with it.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 11:05am On May 30, 2019|
Stanley08:people hate what they can't afford. But I can't buy the S10+ and not use it in QHD. Nah
I paid premium and will enjoy premium stuff
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 12:31pm On May 30, 2019|
Facts. Even on QHD, I'm still getting fantastic battery life. 60% now and already 3hrs 30 mins screen time and the last time i was plugged, 13 hrs ago. I can't complain nor go back to FHD+ lol.
I guess it's also worth a mention that I'm almost always on WiFi. But then, that's my usage. For my usage, it's excellent.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 12:36pm On May 30, 2019|
Stanley08:Wi-Fi no dey chop battery like that sef. Just throw that phone come my side when you are done flexing it
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 12:37pm On May 30, 2019|
No P. You'll throw me money in exchange.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by toluxa1(m): 2:10pm On May 30, 2019|
I have two coming in by end of next week. Purchased directly from Google.
You can contact me if interested.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by michlins(m): 3:16pm On May 30, 2019|
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Anopheles: 4:25pm On May 30, 2019|
Dxomark only tells you the best cameras you can buy with the scores. You can't use Dxomark to judge the best of the best.
Dxomark uses algorithms and certain exposure to test a camera, then scores these results. OEMS know that and use that to get better scores. Most of them pay Dxomark for a review before the phone itself is out.
There's no way, heaven, Earth and Krypton will the S10 have a better camera whether rear or selfie than a Pixel 3. I sell phones and I know what I'm talking about.
The top 3 phones in terms of camera are: Pixel 3, P30 pro and iPhone Xs. If you want to to make it 5, you can add Mate 20 pro and S10. Oneplus 7 pro, Honor 20 pro and all those phones scoring 110+ can't shoot better than those phones listed there.
You can't criticize a review if you yourself haven't experienced any of those 2 phones. We and the YouTube techies know what we're seeing...
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 4:51pm On May 30, 2019|
Lol. Nicely put. I was expecting him to say that he tried it and his experience was contrasting. According to the same Dx0mark, S9 camera is better than Pixel 2 XL. And Pixel 3XL score only better than S9 by two points. Lol. How can anyone take them seriously? He a fanboy.
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 6:29pm On May 30, 2019|
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 6:31pm On May 30, 2019|
See if you can get your hands on the recently released Honor 20 pro, i would really love a review this concise!!
Just subscribed to your YouTube channel
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2019|
Lol. Leave him
Lol. The only honor device i used was the Huawei GR5 i think. Dont think i'll be handling one anytime soon.
However, thank you for your kind words. Cheers
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 7:36pm On May 30, 2019|
Stanley08:You need to tell us the mystery behind the freshness of your hands
|Re: The Galaxy S10 Plus Review (How good is it?) by Stanley08(m): 7:44pm On May 30, 2019|
My mum is light-skinned. That helps?
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 202