Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market (21355 Views)

Dangote Refinery Installs Largest Single Crude Distillation Column - Pictures / Dangote Refinery: Largest Single Train Crude Distillation Column Berths In Lagos / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 8:15am On May 31, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
I'm sure you have ever left Nigeria to other African countries. You think the world revolves around Nigeria ?
Nigeria is the largest market in Africa..the purchasing power of Nigeria is almost twice larger than the next market.

south Africa and Egypt are in the treaty cos they can easily control their border

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 8:16am On May 31, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
now is Nigerian economy bigger than the 52 countries that signed all together? Who is losing here ?
nigerias economy is the largest in Africa...almost twice as large as that of its closest rival,south Africa

the potential of Nigeria's economy is larger than those of South Africa,egypt,Angola, Algeria combined.

mind u, nigerian economy has more potential than most of European nations, including UK...except germany

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by AngelicBeing: 8:16am On May 31, 2019
tongue
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 8:18am On May 31, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
now is Nigerian economy bigger than the 52 countries that signed all together? Who is losing here ?

Everyone must not do the same thing, let them do first, we will be watching them, if it works,,, then we will join.

China is mysterious

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by magicminister: 8:21am On May 31, 2019
GeneralPula:

Don’t dull yourself bro. Naija nah the best country for Africa. I’m not telling you to believe tho! If not for the corruption and all, Naija got what it takes to build up to many foreign countries level. Forget one useless ranking!!

I used to think like you till I started traveling...

Bro, Ghana is better than Nigeria

Rwanda is better
South Africa
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Tunisia
Eritrea

All these countries I’ve been to and all are better than Nigeria. They all have 24 hr power supply. Something we haven’t figured out in 2019. Lol... don’t dull yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by samzepaparazi: 8:22am On May 31, 2019
Buhari is right for not signing.....

And thats because of Nigeria's inefficiency.

If he joined, Foreign investors will move their companies to neighbouring countries like Cameroon etc where their running cost will be low and then export items to the Nigerian Mkt.

Our money will weaken as all the import restrictions on certain items will be removed.

Nothing will be produced here again.

No electricity, no roads, bad policies.

Theyll probably move to Ghana and be operating from there.
Thousands of jobs lost.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MobilityExpress: 8:22am On May 31, 2019
Thank God Nigeria didn't sign that agreement. Free trade = free slaves. Monkey dey work, baboon they chop. Imagine countries that export close to nothing but receive imports, they will just be taking goods with almost no tax, yet they can't supply other countries products. Nigeria market is big enough and self-sustainable. We don't need this for now. The only African countries for now we could sign free trade agreements with are South Africa and Egypt.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MrAnele(m): 8:25am On May 31, 2019
samzepaparazi:
Buhari is right for not signing.....

And thats because of Nigeria's inefficiency.

If he joined, Foreign investors will move their companies to neighbouring countries like Cameroon etc where their running cost will be low and then export them to the Nigerian Mkt.

Our money will weaken as all the import restrictions on certain items will be removed.

Nothing will be produced here again.

No electricity, no roads, bad policies.

Theyll probably move to Ghana and be operating from there.
Thousands of jobs lost

You are a wise man

3 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by GeneralPula: 8:26am On May 31, 2019
magicminister:

I used to think like you till I started traveling...

Bro, Ghana is better than Nigeria

Rwanda is better
South Africa
Algeria
Morocco
Egypt
Tunisia
Eritrea

All these countries I’ve been to and all are better than Nigeria. They all have 24 hr power supply. Something we haven’t figured out in 2019. Lol... don’t dull yourself.

I understand your point brother, but no be about 24hour supply. But let’s see what will happen with the free trade.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by FreemanUYB(m): 8:28am On May 31, 2019
sign or don't sign what do we stand to gain!!!?

Nigeria is going to fall or has falling

they will sign it after islamization and fulinazation
of this refuse dump called Nigeria !!!!!

right before you quote me I have denounced my membership in being part of this rubbish place !!!!
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by CoolVoice(m): 8:32am On May 31, 2019
naijaguy123456:

52 out of the continent’s 55 countries have signed the free trade agreement with the exception of Benin, Eritrea, and Nigeria due to concerns raised by local businesses. Nigeria’s failure to sign the agreement was due to concerns raised by its manufacturing association which says the AfCFTA would have a negative impact on its members.

Nigeria will regret this big time. There is so much to gain from being a partner to this agreement.

The pact aims to boost intra-African trade by making Africa a single market of 1.2 billion people and a cumulative GDP over $3.4 trillion. The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) estimates that the implementation of the agreement could increase intra-African trade by 52% by 2022 (compared with trade levels in 2010) and double the share of intra-African trade (currently around 13% of Africa’s exports) by the start of the next decade.

Copied

You have to put your house in order before signing such deal... Hence Manufacturer here will be loosing their clients to other African countries Manufacturer.

China built their economy in-house and even create alternative to any platform you can think of and they are competing strongly with America economically.. Result of that is the Economy War between the two countries which stem from the fear that China might take over from America as the Global Leading Economy.

You don't just sign into such agreement.. you need to first consider this Pros and Cons

5 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by WhoBeThisMan: 8:33am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
nigerias economy is the largest in Africa...almost twice as large as that of its closest rival,south Africa

the potential of Nigeria's economy is larger than those of South Africa,egypt,Angola, Algeria combined.

mind u, nigerian economy has more potential than most of European nations, including UK...except germany
where did you get your figures from? Last time I checked

Nigerian GDP is 451 billion USD
South African GDP is 390
Egypt GDP is 270 billion
Angola is 127 billion USD
Algeria is 180 billion USD
If you add them together it is 967billion USD
Nigerian economy is not "almost twice as large if its closest competitor south africa"

Where did you get the fact from about the "potentials "

Now tell me how os Nigeria economy bigger? Always check your facts before you just jump on your keyboard

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by WhoBeThisMan: 8:40am On May 31, 2019
GeneralPula:

Don’t dull yourself bro. Naija nah the best country for Africa. I’m not telling you to believe tho! If not for the corruption and all, Naija got what it takes to build up to many foreign countries level. Forget one useless ranking!!
travel and see.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by DEADALIVE: 8:41am On May 31, 2019
To be honest I still don't know why Nigeria still thinks its the largest market in Africa, we all know that Nigeria market is filled with 98% inferior products that's not satisfying the customers... so most definitely the business giants,guru or tycoons will owner in Nigeria know very well that if she goes into that agreement it will spring up competition amongs Africa industrialist in which the developed countries will rather invest heavily in other African countries than Nigeria because of political and economic stability.
...so my opinion it was a smart move with a motive of greediness from the polity because of corruption and yes we are not an industrial or manufacturing kind but renowned as a gaint for consuming everything be it fake or original just for the sake of oppression and to depress others.

lastly not to sound cynical, I think we should join but as well have the right to control movement of anything that enters and goes out of Nigeria so as to be taken seriously by foreign investors by having a very organized structure free from political influence towards its functional duties.
hence we will continue to collect the award for best script writers without any physical manifestation of how great the country is as it claims on paper.
Follow peace with all men. Holiness the only way to be close to God.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Inteltower: 8:42am On May 31, 2019
hisgrace090:

And Nigeria will equally have many countries to dump theirs too.

Our only fear is that we as people produce low quality goods that may not be accepted by many.

abi people that produce things in aba are low quality..u dey craze..not a buhari fan but in this he did well.
continents are now doing free trade enterprise
signaling end time is near

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nukilia: 8:43am On May 31, 2019
WhoBeThisMan:
just the other day immediately after inaugurating the president he jets off the next day for Islamic country meeting.

I'm not against Islam, but how will that benefit the nation. This agreement will benefit the nation and businesses and also the citizens. Now only Nigerians will require visas to go to some African countries for business

The nation needs help

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by rusher14: 8:43am On May 31, 2019
magicminister:
People are ignorant.

Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa,
Some of The largest manufacturers and will stand to gain the most if we join the agreement.

Our people are very innovative but Nigeria is a very very limited market. Allowing our manufacturers to sell to over 1.2 billion people is definitely better than just 200 million (estimated Nigerian population).

We are pass the opportunity of our lifetime.

Most of us already source foreign made goods in Europe, China and America. Just imagine if we brought all that money back to Africa? Africa is the hardest continent to trade in and we need to soften things up else we will remain perpetually poor!!

Other countries should be worried about us not the other way round. The decision to abstain from signing the agreement is to favor a very very few billionaire manufacturers in Nigeria whom do not want any competition or want to improve the quality of their product. Competition is good... no continent or country has ever flourished without the zeal to out do their competitors.

United States wouldn’t be United States if it wasn’t for WWII and the impending doom from Germany if they didn’t sit up.

Canada, Mexico and United States have free trade agreement and even though USA is the largest economy, it’s greatly benefitting... let’s participate and if it doesn’t make us richer in 10 years, let’s pull out.

Give an example.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by rusher14: 8:45am On May 31, 2019
Till today, made in Nigeria electric cables are the preferred choice and jealously guarded by Nigerian traders.

Imagine if we throw our borders open.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 8:46am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
learn to Reason..

Nigeria is the main target.....buhari refused to sign cos of china

Nigeria is the main target of this free trade zone

Nigeria main target? What about north African and east Africa?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 8:48am On May 31, 2019
rusher14:
Till today, made in Nigeria electric cables are the preferred choice and jealously guarded by Nigerian traders.

No African competition in the industry. Only China is threat

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 8:49am On May 31, 2019
BlacSmit:

Nigeria main target? What about north African and east Africa?
east africas economy doesn't have much potential compared that that of Nigeria.

Nigeria's economy is larger than the entire east African economy....I need to verify this.

unknown Lagos economy is almost twice larger than that of Kenya

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by rusher14: 8:49am On May 31, 2019
BlacSmit:

No African competition in the industry. Only China is threat

Exactly why they would import into Cameroon and put the Cameroon logo on it.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nukilia: 8:49am On May 31, 2019
CoolVoice:

You have to put your house in order before signing such deal... Hence Manufacturer here will be loosing their clients to other African countries Manufacturer.
China built their economy in-house and even create alternative to any platform you can think of and they are competing strongly with America economically.. Result of that is the Economy War between the two countries which stem from the fear that China might take over from America as the Global Leading Economy.
You don't just sign into such agreement.. you need to first consider this Pros and Cons

I understand you so well, but the truth of the matter is we are in an insane society. Nigeria is a failed state under incompetent leaders.
1. Manufacturers are already losing their clients to other African countries and to shock you more they would loose more to this agreement that they did not sign.
2. You can't compare apples and oranges, China is being led by serious leaders not like what we have in Nigeria where a president leaves the country on autorun without ministers for 6 months...
3. Whether we sign the agreement or not, Nigeria will still fall victim of this terrible agreement because we did not put our house in order..

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Ironi: 8:50am On May 31, 2019
MobilityExpress:
Thank God Nigeria didn't sign that agreement. Free trade = free slaves. Monkey dey work, baboon they chop. Imagine countries that export close to nothing but receive imports, they will just be taking goods with almost no tax, yet they can't supply other countries products. Nigeria market is big enough and self-sustainable. We don't need this for now. The only African countries for now we could sign free trade agreements with are South Africa and Egypt.

Do you guys know what you are talking about at all??

Some of you Nigerians just like to talk big without knowing what you are yapping about ?

Nigeria economy is self sustaining ?

Nigeria virtually imports every shit .

Apart from oil that Nigeria exports , tell me what else does it export ?

You want to sign free trade with South Africa and Egypt , now tell me what sort of trade are you going to do with them??

Nigeria manufactures and produces northing to export so don’t fool yourself with this self- sustaining shit.

Nigeria imports every shit that makes it function as a country and so are all African countries. Those who are lucky to have some raw materials just export them raw without any added values, that’s all we do so stop your juvenile yeye.

3 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by globexpo: 8:52am On May 31, 2019
Nigeria dont want import trade but want to export to other countries
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nukilia: 8:53am On May 31, 2019
rusher14:

If we throw our borders open, high quality grade products will come in from Europe to Nigeria and our industries will die a natural death and our Engineers will become sales men just like they are doing at the moment...

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by tiwiex(m): 8:53am On May 31, 2019
Esseite:
Buhari did a good job not joining the parasitic trade union... we would have been a dumping ground to them.

What has any of these countries imported from our Manufacturers before to grant free trade access.

How did you arrive at this conclusion? So the giant of Africa can't compete with its mates?

Nigeria has the largest population. Logistics consumes about 40% in the cost of goods. It would make sense for many of those manufactures to set up shop in Nigeria which would have meant an increase in FDI. South Africa's economy is bigger than ours. Yet, they joined.

Your opinion counts too but pretending this agreement does not exist does us no good. Did we review it and make a counter offer? I think there was a lack of vision on our part. The FDI that should roll into west Africa will jump over us into Ghana. I think we made a bad decision. If we are already importing excessively from the western countries, why not keep it within the continent? Logistics would be way cheaper. Do you know Ethiopia manufactures all the fibre optics cable they use? What stops us from insisting we have a factory here before joining for example?

We treated Afcta like black or white and it is very wide spectrum of choices. This is why we need cerebral minds at our helm if affairs.

You are defending our absence. I am sure Abuja is regretting being out of the duscussiin right now.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Donchukz(m): 8:53am On May 31, 2019
naijaguy123456:

52 out of the continent’s 55 countries have signed the free trade agreement with the exception of Benin, Eritrea, and Nigeria due to concerns raised by local businesses. Nigeria’s failure to sign the agreement was due to concerns raised by its manufacturing association which says the AfCFTA would have a negative impact on its members.

Nigeria will regret this big time. There is so much to gain from being a partner to this agreement.

The pact aims to boost intra-African trade by making Africa a single market of 1.2 billion people and a cumulative GDP over $3.4 trillion. The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) estimates that the implementation of the agreement could increase intra-African trade by 52% by 2022 (compared with trade levels in 2010) and double the share of intra-African trade (currently around 13% of Africa’s exports) by the start of the next decade.

Copied

Nigeria will not regret anything here,have you taken your time to study why Nigeria refused to sign the AFCFTA. If Nigeria had signed it,is gonna be to our disadvantages ,forget the 52 countries that have signed the agreement,in the near future they will be regretting why they even joined,why some of them will withdraw their memberships,because their countries will turn to a dumping site of all manner of goods ,and I ask,where will all this goods end; for sure ,is going to be Nigeria and don't forget,every goods that will be coming into Africa,it's destination will be Nigeria,at the end of the day,all manner of goods will end here(Nigeria). If it happened,our economy will suffer for it,many companies will close down,with this in place, Nigeria will depend totally on the outside world for all our needs,you and I knows that is not healthy,they is need for us to strive in producing virtually everything that we need. We don't Nigeria to be a dumping site,instead we should be an exporter of goods to the outside world to avoid imbalance of trade,and when we export,we earned hard currencies,meaning more money in the hands of our local producers. I thank God Nigeria did not sign into it,because we lack the technical know how.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Anyi3(m): 8:54am On May 31, 2019
hisgrace090:

And we will have more than 50 countries to dump ours too.

Think of it.

Dump wetin?

It's going to definitely be cheaper manufacturing in countries like Ethiopia or Namibia. Lower labour costs. So they sell cheaper. Nigeria wouldn't cope, our manufacturers wouldn't be able to beat the competition. Make naija no sign biko.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 8:57am On May 31, 2019
Esseite:
Buhari did a good job not joining the parasitic trade union... we would have been a dumping ground to them.

What has any of these countries imported from our Manufacturers before to grant free trade access.
Buhari ke? what does he know? you think this got to do with nama?Leave this to the ministry of trade and investment
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by fujirice: 8:58am On May 31, 2019
I am with the Nigerian government on this one.
Kudos to them for not signing
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by ritababe(f): 8:59am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:

Nigeria economy 370 billion
South africa 340 billion or so.

How is it twice the economy of south Africa?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Court Sets Date For Aderinokun’s Daughter’s Suit Against Gtbank / Guinness Factory In Aba Currently On Fire / 41 Items Still Banned Under Nigeria-china Currency Swap Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.