Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market (21344 Views)

Dangote Refinery Installs Largest Single Crude Distillation Column - Pictures / Dangote Refinery: Largest Single Train Crude Distillation Column Berths In Lagos / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2019
obongitiad:

You get sense bros
thank u sir
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by kushercain: 9:39am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa and is the main target of this treaty..if Nigeria is part of it.many African nations with free trade treaty will china (say Ghana or Cameroon)will allow china to fill their economy with Chinese products and they will be shipped to Nigeria and those products will be tagged 'made in Ghana's instead of china... this will disrupt Nigeria manufacturing sector and slow. down our local companies and china will benefit more and kill the African economy

Okay, I get it clearer now. The Chinese have an agenda to conquer this continent, I'm always saying it.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2019
MobilityExpress:

I know a south African girl that buys her hair extensions from Nigeria. True story grin No wonder dem Southies are vexing. Some Naija people don dey run their town for them. grin
people do not know that buy Igbo men opening shops for thier boys who served them and taking them to places like Sa and Botswana are trade export.Go to Thailand, you must give a certain % to a citizen to open a business same in SA

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MobilityExpress: 9:40am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

grin grin grin grin The o ne wey pain me pass be say white men come discover new way to eat okro, them dey fry am with flower now Okro don add money grin grin grin

Chai grin, na we dey colonize them now. We are the new colonial masters of the world. We have use 'Zanku legwork' to capture oyinbo cities grin
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:41am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa and is the main target of this treaty..if Nigeria is part of it.many African nations with free trade treaty will china (say Ghana or Cameroon)will allow china to fill their economy with Chinese products and they will be shipped to Nigeria and those products will be tagged 'made in Ghana's instead of china... this will disrupt Nigeria manufacturing sector and slow. down our local companies and China will benefit more and kill the African economy
Please name one thing that is restricted from coming to Nigeria from China direct

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Ferdinandu(m): 9:41am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Erm stick to one part of an argument so I can respond appropriately. Now, are we talking about the EU or Africa??
You don't even have a point to back up your assertion. What I wrote up there is clear and concise to anybody
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:42am On May 31, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Chai grin, na we dey colonize them now. We are the new colonial masters of the world. We have use 'Zanku legwork' to capture oyinbo cities grin
Even now as we dey talk nah our Guinness dem dey drink Nigeria Guinness cos E dey high man pass their own grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On May 31, 2019
Ferdinandu:
You don't even have a point to back up your assertion. What I wrote up there is clear and concise to anybody
You are using free movement of trade and people in one sentence, was there a restriction of movements that were not there for the past 10 years?

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MobilityExpress: 9:47am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Even now as we dey talk nah our Guinness dem dey drink Nigeria Guinness cos E dey high man pass their own grin grin grin

An economically independent Nigeria is a threat to the world powers. That is why they keep creating new ways of destroying our currency and using the enabler saboteurs in government to achieve it. Imagine for about 4 years now, 1 dollar has been over 300 naira back to back. And our government is still sleeping. Smh!

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:47am On May 31, 2019
[quote author=Ferdinandu post=78885148]You don't even have a point to back up your assertion. What I wrote up there is clear and concise to anybody [/quote
Go and check as we speak its easier for a Nigerian to go to South Africa than any other countries close to South Africa ie Zimbabwe.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 9:50am On May 31, 2019
MobilityExpress:

An economically independent Nigeria is a threat to the world powers. That is why they keep creating new ways of destroying our currency and using the enabler saboteurs in government to achieve it. Imagine for about 4 years now, 1 dollar has been over 300 naira back to back. And our government is still sleeping. Smh!
Bross nah our government get eh problem. Them know what to do trust me however if everybody rich they become less relevant hence the problem. Why cant they do the same thing China is doing, empower small industries or give incentives to invest in 9ja, go to China loads of the manufacturing companies are not owned by the Chinese rather they have tax breaks.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 10:05am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Please name one thing that is restricted from coming to Nigeria from China direct
I aren't getting it....the Chinese goods are usually levied with import duties..when they are tagged with 'made in African country' those goods become duty free...who will lose?

4 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by tymicjay77: 10:10am On May 31, 2019
hisgrace090:

And we will have more than 50 countries to dump ours too.

Think of it.
Nigeria joining the trade is not good for her manufacturing industries that are still striving to survive. The following are the disadvantages if Nigeria should join such trade.
1.other countries with import duties that are very low will serve as shipping depot for goods that intend coming to Nigeria, this will make Nigerian carry d burden of paying high price to goods without even receiving any import duties on such goods
2.most companies will look for countries with attractive tax n raw materials site ,thereby the little companies we have in Nigeria will migrate off Nigeria.. Hence loss of jobs n poverty will increase
3.presently Nigeria does not export any goods non raw materials. Hence all other countries will only benefit from Nigeria while Nigeria and her struggling manufacturing industries crumble
4.developed countries patronizing Nigeria will be adulterated, since dey now have many choice to take their finished product to..hence sources of revenue will decrease.
4.price of goods will be very expensive, especially manufactured goods.cos their are much demand than supply... If u know ur economics u know what I meant.
Reasons why Nigeria shouldn't be part of the trade...most especially with d bad leaders we have in this country...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 10:11am On May 31, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

Which freedom of movement? Is it not under the same ECOWas that you have banned importation of cars?

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by wasi9ice: 10:11am On May 31, 2019
Why are you guys contradicting each other,,
People like us who don't understand the meaning of this post, how do we learn,,,,,,,,,,,, my question is,, by refusing to sign, are we on the wrong or the right part??
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 10:17am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
I aren't getting it....the Chinese goods are usually levied with import duties..when they are tagged with 'made in African country' those goods become duty free...who will lose?
So what incentives are they Chinese getting in them country from which the duty free is going to originate from ? and cant Nigeria give such?And let me also add, do you know of anywhere else that the Chinese manufacture outside of China for profits?
Let me tell you one thing, the advantage China has is mass production with cheap labour. They export Goods and fewer services.
So my guy this theory nor work cos we go to China to buy goods, they don't beg us to come!

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2019
wasi9ice:
Why are you guys contradicting each other,,
People like us who don't understand the meaning of this post, how do we learn,,,,,,,,,,,, my question is,, by refusing to sign, are we on the wrong or the right part??
We are in the wrong!

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by rusher14: 10:21am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Buhari ke? what does he know? you think this got to do with nama?Leave this to the ministry of trade and investment

And he cannot override abi?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by SEGLIZ: 10:34am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Trade has been exported, manpower was exported, go to the streets of SA and see how Nigerians are gradually taking over their retails, why do you think the ordinary men in the streets of SA kicked against Nigerians??
Some times we have to see beyond our nose!

how has Nigeria responded street war in south africa?
seeing beyond your nose means putting all available options into consideration, merit and demerit.
don't calculate BRAIN DRAIN to be exportation of man power. I quite understand the aspect of free move but you make the money but can't return home to invest it only but to erect missions as a way of tying your money down.
take cue from from brexit, China US trade ongoing trade war, it all started well but today.. ?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by movetoca: 10:38am On May 31, 2019
magicminister:
People are ignorant.

Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa,
Some of The largest manufacturers and will stand to gain the most if we join the agreement.

Our people are very innovative but Nigeria is a very very limited market. Allowing our manufacturers to sell to over 1.2 billion people is definitely better than just 200 million (estimated Nigerian population).

We are pass the opportunity of our lifetime.

Most of us already source foreign made goods in Europe, China and America. Just imagine if we brought all that money back to Africa? Africa is the hardest continent to trade in and we need to soften things up else we will remain perpetually poor!!

Other countries should be worried about us not the other way round. The decision to abstain from signing the agreement is to favor a very very few billionaire manufacturers in Nigeria whom do not want any competition or want to improve the quality of their product. Competition is good... no continent or country has ever flourished without the zeal to out do their competitors.

United States wouldn’t be United States if it wasn’t for WWII and the impending doom from Germany if they didn’t sit up.

Canada, Mexico and United States have free trade agreement and even though USA is the largest economy, it’s greatly benefitting... let’s participate and if it doesn’t make us richer in 10 years, let’s pull out.
You're a smart guy . Everything is all about politics and sentiments in Nigeria.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 10:45am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

So what incentives are they Chinese getting in them country from which the duty free is going to originate from ? and cant Nigeria give such?And let me also add, do you know of anywhere else that the Chinese manufacture outside of China for profits?
Let me tell you one thing, the advantage China has is mass production with cheap labour. They export Goods and fewer services.
So my guy this theory nor work cos we go to China to buy goods, they don't beg us to come!
Ur level of reasoning is low.....didn't u see where I mentioned DUTY FREE AND import duties

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by SEGLIZ: 10:45am On May 31, 2019
tymicjay77:

Nigeria joining the trade is not good for her manufacturing industries that are still striving to survive. The following are the disadvantages if Nigeria should join such trade.
1.other countries with import duties that are very low will serve as shipping depot for goods that intend coming to Nigeria, this will make Nigerian carry d burden of paying high price to goods without even receiving any import duties on such goods
2.most companies will look for countries with attractive tax n raw materials site ,thereby the little companies we have in Nigeria will migrate off Nigeria.. Hence loss of jobs n poverty will increase
3.presently Nigeria does not export any goods non raw materials. Hence all other countries will only benefit from Nigeria while Nigeria and her struggling manufacturing industries crumble
4.developed countries patronizing Nigeria will be adulterated, since dey now have many choice to take their finished product to..hence sources of revenue will decrease.
4.price of goods will be very expensive, especially manufactured goods.cos their are much demand than supply... If u know ur economics u know what I meant.
Reasons why Nigeria shouldn't be part of the trade...most especially with d bad leaders we have in this country...

may you remain blessed and increase in wisdom. our own one traffic reasoning fellow are not seeing all the only thing in there for them is free movement, taking brain drain for exportation of human resources. Please remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 10:52am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
Ur level of reasoning is low.....didn't u see where I mentioned DUTY FREE AND import duties
I understand when people do not have arguments they result to colourful remarks, but don't worry I'm immune to this, what sense did you make up there or you trying to throw big words into an argument which needs none of that?
My major question to yo is this, What is that thing that will make China to dump their goods in the next country and export it to Nigeria duty-free? what is that thing since you said it please name ur suggestion? This was the simple question I asked
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 10:54am On May 31, 2019
magicminister:
People are ignorant.

Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa,
Some of The largest manufacturers and will stand to gain the most if we join the agreement.

Our people are very innovative but Nigeria is a very very limited market. Allowing our manufacturers to sell to over 1.2 billion people is definitely better than just 200 million (estimated Nigerian population).

We are pass the opportunity of our lifetime.

Most of us already source foreign made goods in Europe, China and America. Just imagine if we brought all that money back to Africa? Africa is the hardest continent to trade in and we need to soften things up else we will remain perpetually poor!!

Other countries should be worried about us not the other way round. The decision to abstain from signing the agreement is to favor a very very few billionaire manufacturers in Nigeria whom do not want any competition or want to improve the quality of their product. Competition is good... no continent or country has ever flourished without the zeal to out do their competitors.

United States wouldn’t be United States if it wasn’t for WWII and the impending doom from Germany if they didn’t sit up.

Canada, Mexico and United States have free trade agreement and even though USA is the largest economy, it’s greatly benefitting... let’s participate and if it doesn’t make us richer in 10 years, let’s pull out.
Thank you very much, its is quite refreshing when i read post from people like you,unlike these ones who are newbies ie martineverest
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 10:56am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

I understand when people do not have arguments they result to colourful remarks, but don't worry I'm immune to this, what sense did you make up there or you trying to throw big words into an argument which needs none of that?
My major question to yo is this, What is that thing that will make China to dump their goods in the next country and export it to Nigeria duty-free? what is that thing since you said it please name ur suggestion? This was the simple question I asked
all products coming into naija (From Africa or any where)are taxed(import duty)...with this treaty,all products manufactured In. Africa by africans won't be taxed anymore.china will take advantage of this by shipping their own products to a certain African nation and then tag it ' made in Africa's to avoid import duties...their gooda will become cheaper than locally made ones,thus killing out economy

I'm sorry for the insult

3 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 11:01am On May 31, 2019
naijaguy123456:

52 out of the continent’s 55 countries have signed the free trade agreement with the exception of Benin, Eritrea, and Nigeria due to concerns raised by local businesses. Nigeria’s failure to sign the agreement was due to concerns raised by its manufacturing association which says the AfCFTA would have a negative impact on its members.

Nigeria will regret this big time. There is so much to gain from being a partner to this agreement.

The pact aims to boost intra-African trade by making Africa a single market of 1.2 billion people and a cumulative GDP over $3.4 trillion. The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) estimates that the implementation of the agreement could increase intra-African trade by 52% by 2022 (compared with trade levels in 2010) and double the share of intra-African trade (currently around 13% of Africa’s exports) by the start of the next decade.

Copied

Nigeria has a GDP of $1.06 trillion. Its like NAFTA..AMERICA lost 70,000 factories to Mexico and Canada.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:03am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
all products coming into naija (From Africa or any where)are taxed(import duty)...with this treaty,all products manufactured In. Africa by africans won't be taxed anymore.china will take advantage of this by shipping their own products to a certain African nation and then tag it ' made in Africa's to avoid import duties...their gooda will become cheaper than locally made ones,thus killing out economy

I'm sorry for the insult
No worries re insult
Now check this, we already have such agreements as free trade as in ECOWAS, the east Africans do as well. This has been in place in ages hence ECOWAS.So let us reason here, you say China was going to ship its goods to a certain African Country lets say Somalia as it's in the Indian Ocean close to Asia, what do you think is the incentive Somalia would give China that would make them chose Somalia over Nigeria? cos last I checked China won't be part of this deal signed by African nations.

2 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Jaqenhghar: 11:08am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Importation fru land border was banned
The land border is shared with who? Europeans?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:13am On May 31, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

The land border is shared with who? Europeans?
I was making a statement of fact rather than assumptions. The words from the Fg was Land border not fru seaport.Im sure you do not know shipping companies transload
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 11:15am On May 31, 2019
MikeBetty:
Have You Think Of The Other Side Of It. Nigeria Stand To Gain Much Than We Will Loose. First Movement Barrier That Hinders Some Of Our Entreprenurs From Penetrating The International Mrkts Will Be Gone. Secondly The Stand To Export Their Produce To Some African Countries Freely. Thirdly Nigerian Population Is Increasing By Day, It Will Help Nigerians To Expand Out Of Nigerian Enclave.

I think the Nigerian markets are already established in these countries, the trade union may do more harm than good..

The revenue we generate from our ports would crash beyond zero..

These nations would discriminate our products because it may kill their manufacturing companies..

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 11:16am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

No worries re insult
Now check this, we already have such agreements as free trade as in ECOWAS, the east Africans do as well. This has been in place in ages hence ECOWAS.So let us reason here, you say China was going to ship its goods to a certain African Country lets say Somalia as it's in the Indian Ocean close to Asia, what do you think is the incentive Somalia would give China that would make them chose Somalia over Nigeria? cos last I checked China won't be part of this deal signed by African nations.
u aren't getting me....Somalia will never be the target.cos their economy is miniature.nigeria is the main target cos it's the largest market, highest potentials and largest economy in Africa and also Nigeria has loopholes compared to RSA and Egypt.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:19am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
u aren't getting me....Somalia will never be the target.cos their economy is miniature.nigeria is the main target cos it's the largest market, highest potentials and largest economy in Africa and also Nigeria has loopholes compared to RSA and Egypt.
Nop I'm not talking about the final destination I'm talking of the initial destination you used the word ** A certain country** so I made Somalia as that certain country in my narrative!
SO back to the question, please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Court Sets Date For Aderinokun’s Daughter’s Suit Against Gtbank / How You Could Lose Access To Your Money In Nigerian Banks / Guinness Factory In Aba Currently On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.