Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,357 members, 7,808,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 (2127 Views)

₦70M Mercedes Maybach Goes Up In Flames (Pictures, Video) / A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / A Review Of Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet: Linda Ikeji's 2019 Dream Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:11am On May 31, 2019

Audi plans to launch a new flagship that may become a rival to the Mercedes-Maybach S class.

Audi said at its annual meeting that the range-topping A8 sedan line will expand to include a "new, luxurious" derivative.

"We are thinking about revolutionizing the top-end class with a completely new concept for the A8," CEO Bram Schot told shareholders here on May 23.

The A8 family consists of short- and a long-wheelbase versions of Audi's flagship sedan.

When the A8 debuted in 1994, Audi delivered a technological highlight with the all-aluminum body, helping establish the brand as an equal with Mercedes and BMW.

But Audi and BMW have struggled to break Mercedes' dominance of the high-end sedan market.

The Mercedes S class remains the top-selling upper-premium sedan and Mercedes has widened its appeal with a Maybach-badged version

Global sales of the Mercedes S class increased 7 percent to 77,700 last year, even though the model is aging and is due for renewal next year.

Robust demand for the Mercedes-Maybach S class in China has helped sales. More than 600 Mercedes-Maybach S class sedans are sold every month in the country, Daimler's China boss, Hubertus Troska, told reporters in April.

Global sales of the BMW 7 series dropped 13 percent in 2018 to 56,000. A8 volume fell 6 percent to 20,000.

Audi's promise to shareholders that the new member of the A8 family would be a "particularly luxurious and prestigious derivative" indicates a direct competitor to the Mercedes-Maybach S 650, which starts at 202,770 euros ($225,472) in Germany, more than twice as expensive as the equivalent entry-level long-wheelbase version.

The addition of an ultraluxury A8 would help Audi squeeze more profits from its high-end cars to help pay for huge investments in electric and self-driving vehicles, just as Mercedes is doing with the Maybach-badged S class and BMW is doing with is new 8-series flagship.

Audi said at its annual meeting that it will invest about 14 billion euros into electric mobility, digitalization and highly automated driving. "In order to finance its high upfront expenditure, Audi will systematically utilize available earnings potential, for example, by expanding its market position in the upper premium segments," the automaker said.

As part of the profit push, Audi also plans a significant increase in sales volumes and earnings at its Audi Sport line of high-performance R and RS models as they roll out new derivatives including the new RS Q8.

https://www.autonews.com/future-product/audi-takes-aim-mercedes-maybach-ultraluxury-a8

CC: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by TheShopKeeper(m): 9:20am On Jun 01, 2019
...audi is wasting its resources...mercedes benz is & always be the clear leader in the super luxury car sector...
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by Patrick33(m): 10:29am On Jun 01, 2019
TheShopKeeper:
...audi is wasting its resources...mercedes benz is & always be the clear leader in the super luxury car sector...
mercedes benz aren't luxurious compared to bmw... They're just overhyped

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by Emmytes(m): 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2019
TheShopKeeper:

I bet you've never owned a Mercedes benz or even driven one. Nigerians and their herd mentality is just.... undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2019
Patrick33:
mercedes benz aren't luxurious compared to bmw... They're just overhyped
Don't even say this again.. BMW ke..

Mercedes Benz goes head to head with 'em Bentleys and Rolce Royces in the luxury department

1 Like

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by Patrick33(m): 10:15pm On Jun 07, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:

Mercedes Benz goes head to head with 'em Bentleys and Rolce Royces in the luxury department
who has rolls Royce Isn't it BMW??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by kingreign(m): 4:03am On Jun 08, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:

Gimme some of the stuff you smoked
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:28am On Jun 08, 2019
kingreign:

Very potent stuff. grin

Tbh, there's not much separating a fully loaded S Class from something like a RR Ghost. But the Ghost is more expensive because of the badge.
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by kingreign(m): 8:44am On Jun 08, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Very potent stuff. grin

Tbh, there's not much separating a fully loaded S Class from something like a RR Ghost. But the Ghost is more expensive because of the badge.

A lot bro. A lot separates them. The build process of merc is 80% computerized, while the reverse is the case for Rolls Royce. Mercedes drips with technology, but Rolls Royce technological advancements is further and also is merged into the car so it still pays classic old Rolls Royce heritage seamlessly. Leave matter. Get into s Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz of same year to know what I'm talking about. Even the Maybach stands and salute Rolls Royce

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:55am On Jun 08, 2019
kingreign:

A lot bro. A lot separates them. The build process of merc is 80% computerized, while the reverse is the case for Rolls Royce. Mercedes drips with technology, but Rolls Royce technological advancements is further and also is merged into the car so it still pays classic old Rolls Royce heritage seamlessly. Leave matter. Get into s Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz of same year to know what I'm talking about. Even the Maybach stands and salute Rolls Royce

Honestly, most of those things aren't quantifiable.

The quality of materials will be identical.
The ride feel will be identical.

Only thing I'd say is that the Merc will have more technology, while the Rolls will feel better put together. Like, better finished. And even then, it's not like the disparity is high.

On the flip side, the Merc will be a lot cheaper to own. I'm talking about new cars here. W222 vs RR Ghost. Mercedes has closed the gap a lot, bro.

Of course, a Phantom or Mulsanne will still be a tier above whatever Mercedes makes. But cheaper cars like the Ghost or Flying Spur? I don't think it's a step down from those to a loaded S Class.

2 Likes

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:52pm On Jun 08, 2019
kingreign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srm8tUn7lJU

What's the difference here
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:

Lol, comparing the interiors of those cars, the Phantom is by far better than the Maybach. It's not even close.

Phantom is for old money, my gee. There's just something about how the interior is designed that sets it a tier above the Maybach.
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 3:07pm On Jun 08, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, comparing the interiors of those cars, the Phantom is by far better than the Maybach. It's not even close.

Phantom is for old money, my gee. There's just something about how the interior is designed that sets it a tier above the Maybach.
That's your opinion brov.. Some men too prefers the Maybach instead.. It's choice too.. Ain't no difference..

Just like Chinese, they prefer the Maybach to the royce. It's choice not coz the royce is far superior in luxury. For me they are almost par in luxury. I love both cars
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by kingreign(m): 3:48pm On Jun 08, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:

what a weak line f defence? You actually made no defence, you only gave link to a video showing three cars driving. Now, lemme show you what a proper review is like and hey, Rolls Royce only competes with luxury yacht and luxury/business class jets and Burj Al Arabs.
And for this reason, they decline bringing a Rolls Royce to come and get dragged down to the level of a mere Mercedes Benz. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86fM5_v4KQ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2019
kingreign:

what a weak line f defence? You actually made no defence, you only gave link to a video showing three cars driving. Now, lemme show you what a proper review is like and hey, Rolls Royce only competes with luxury yacht and luxury/business class jets and Burj Al Arabs.
And for this reason, they decline bringing a Rolls Royce to come and get dragged down to the level of a mere Mercedes Benz. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f86fM5_v4KQ

And yours isn't weak aswell?? Pay attention to that video
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by kingreign(m): 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:
And yours isn't weak aswell?? Pay attention to that video

let me not drag with you bro. you know not what a Rolls Royce is.

QED.
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by kingreign(m): 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2019
JayKayMaybachz:
That's your opinion brov.. Some men too prefers the Maybach instead.. It's choice too.. Ain't no difference..

Just like Chinese, they prefer the Maybach to the royce. It's choice not coz the royce is far superior in luxury. For me they are almost par in luxury. I love both cars

you seemingly taking this personal. Well to each his own. I quit arguing.
Re: Audi Takes Aim At Mercedes-Maybach With Ultra Luxury A8 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 5:12pm On Jun 08, 2019
kingreign:

let me not drag with you bro. you know not what a Rolls Royce is.

QED.

Okay Boss
kingreign:

you seemingly taking this personal. Well to each his own. I quit arguing.

Nope.. I am not. If you think so, I am sorry bout that.

(1) (Reply)

£100,000 Toyota Built To Withstand GRENADES And BOMBS / Golf3 Or Honda Bulldog Or Corolla 2003 / Automatic Or Manual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.