Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,254 members, 7,780,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:15 PM

Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me (974 Views)

Do This Scripture Contradict Itself And Make The Bible Invalid? / How I Got The Scripture For Yesterday's Twitter Scripture Challenge. / This Scripture Shows That God Recognizes Masturbation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by GoodBoi1(m): 4:22pm On May 31, 2019
Mark 10:29-30 New International Version (NIV)

29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Olufela30: 4:35pm On May 31, 2019
What he meant was, "If you'd follow me, you'd leave everything you've got and follow me .... and in the end, those things will be regained in a hundred folds... Buh the beginning might be rough, Buh in the end comes great reward......... "

5 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by GoodBoi1(m): 4:57pm On May 31, 2019
Does it mean the reward will also be on earth and in heaven?
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by fykes(m): 5:31pm On May 31, 2019
Jesus was saying that to serve God in spirit and in truth, u will have to deny itself and everything else, that is, u need to make up ur mind that the love or allure of any of those people or things he mentioned

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by fykes(m): 5:39pm On May 31, 2019
Jesus was saying that to serve God in spirit and in truth, u will have to deny itself and everything else, that is, u need to make up ur mind that the love or allure of any of those people or things he mentioned, cannot keep u from turning back from the decision. He s talking about a total commitment to his ways, just like when he also said, that" no man who puts his hands on the plough and turns back is fit for the crown." To live for God demands a consecration and strong determination that if necessary, u will forefeit the love or whatsoever affiliations or identity u have to the people or things he mentioned.
Then he guarantees that in so doing, u will have much more of that in this life, albeit with persecution, and u gained eternal life.
Following Christ and his teachings are becoming more difficult in this times and many are falling for the persecutions.
Example..u decide to join d " hustle ' to make it so u don't be intimidated.
U decide to make it anyhow so ur giirl doesn't jilt u.
U decide to steal, kill, maim, live a life against ur spirit because u can't wait anymore on God.
Persecution abounds everywhere today for those who will wait on God. But only a man who has let go of all those things Jesus mentioned will be able to stand firm and win the prize.
Always remember, " we have a great cloud of witness watching us form on high"

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by OtemAtum: 5:54pm On May 31, 2019
Fictitious Jesus wants you to concentrate on him 100%. But come to think of it, you concentrate on a fictitious character all your lifetime only to discover that you've been fooled. That's how a whole lot of you have been waiting for this fictitious guy to come and end the world since 2000 years ago.

Worldly Music 1:4

4. Think like a man born in the first century waiting for a son of his god to end the world. Add five centuries to your waiting, add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Now you have twenty centuries and the son of your god has not returned. You are now left with no other option than to start using your brain critically.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Glorymax: 6:16pm On May 31, 2019
That passage of the scripture is a very interesting one. To explain, you must carry the whole passage along, i.e. what preceded the statement of Jesus. The story according to Mark 11:29-30 is equally captured in Matthew 19.
The wealthy man went away sad when Jesus asked him to sell off his possessions, use proceed for charity, and come and follow him.
Christ said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a wealthy man to enter the kingdom of God.
In Jewish communities, whenever wealthy people comes back from their trading, their Camels are laden with plenty luggage. This makes it difficult for the Camel to pass through the eye of the needle (this is an opening on the City wall). So at this juncture, the wealthy man with his luggage laden Camel couldn't enter the City freely.
The only option left for this man is to remove the luggage from the Camel's back, the Camel on its own can freely pass through this needle eye, then the luggage can be taken piece by piece thru the opening. This is actually the crux of the matter, your possessions is likely going to obstruct your spiritual life. I want to point out here that Christ is not saying we should not have possessions. Remember Matt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. You can have all the possessions and be poor in spirit because to you, all those wealth meant nothing to o you.
At that point, the disciples of Christ were worried on who can be saved and what becomes their lot. "With God, all things are possible". Peter went personal to get more assurance from Christ.
So the verse you're asking for explanation is an assurance from Christ to everyone who abandoned all to work in God's vineyard in sincerity - God will surround you with greater family members, including yours and crown it with eternal life. Remember, it can be said that Jesus abandoned his family for God's work but his family did not abandoned him.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by GoodBoi1(m): 7:09pm On May 31, 2019
Glorymax:
That passage of the scripture is a very interesting one. To explain, you must carry the whole passage along, i.e. what preceded the statement of Jesus. The story according to Mark 11:29-30 is equally captured in Matthew 19.
The wealthy man went away sad when Jesus asked him to sell off his possessions, use proceed for charity, and come and follow him.
Christ said it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a wealthy man to enter the kingdom of God.
In Jewish communities, whenever wealthy people comes back from their trading, their Camels are laden with plenty luggage. This makes it difficult for the Camel to pass through the eye of the needle (this is an opening on the City wall). So at this juncture, the wealthy man with his luggage laden Camel couldn't enter the City freely.
The only option left for this man is to remove the luggage from the Camel's back, the Camel on its own can freely pass through this needle eye, then the luggage can be taken piece by piece thru the opening. This is actually the crux of the matter, your possessions is likely going to obstruct your spiritual life. I want to point out here that Christ is not saying we should not have possessions. Remember Matt 5:3 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. You can have all the possessions and be poor in spirit because to you, all those wealth meant nothing to o you.
At that point, the disciples of Christ were worried on who can be saved and what becomes their lot. "With God, all things are possible". Peter went personal to get more assurance from Christ.
So the verse you're asking for explanation is an assurance from Christ to everyone who abandoned all to work in God's vineyard in sincerity - God will surround you with greater family members, including yours and crown it with eternal life. Remember, it can be said that Jesus abandoned his family for God's work but his family did not abandoned him.
Ok. Is the reward only family members?
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Crysthaniel(m): 11:31pm On May 31, 2019
[quote author=OtemAtum post=78899663]Fictitious Jesus wants you to concentrate on him 100%. But come to think of it, you concentrate on a fictitious character all your lifetime only to discover that you've been fooled. That's how a whole lot of you have been waiting for this fictitious guy to come and end the world since 2000 years ago.

4. Think like a man born in the first century waiting for a son of his god to end the world. Add five centuries to your waiting, add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Now you have twenty centuries and the son of your god has not returned. You are now left with no other option than to start using your brain critically.[/quo
Hebrews 10:39
and Hebrews chapter 11 is what keep we true Christians going..
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Crysthaniel(m): 11:33pm On May 31, 2019
OtemAtum:
Fictitious Jesus wants you to concentrate on him 100%. But come to think of it, you concentrate on a fictitious character all your lifetime only to discover that you've been fooled. That's how a whole lot of you have been waiting for this fictitious guy to come and end the world since 2000 years ago.

4. Think like a man born in the first century waiting for a son of his god to end the world. Add five centuries to your waiting, add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Add another five centuries. Now you have twenty centuries and the son of your god has not returned. You are now left with no other option than to start using your brain critically.
Hebrews 10:39
and Hebrews chapter 11
is what energizes we true christians

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by talktokayoo(m): 8:13am On Jun 01, 2019
[b][/b]

What the scripture us saying basically is that, in your course to serve God or follow your calling in ministry or Christ Jesus, if you do not permit all this mentioned things to serve as hindrance, obstacle to Jesus Christ then you have that reward in this life and the one to come...

GoodBoi1:

29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Glorymax: 12:40pm On Jun 01, 2019
GoodBoi1:

Ok. Is the reward only family members?

Christ promised that you will get all you've abandoned and many more, with eternal life

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Shepherd00: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2019
fykes:
Jesus was saying that to serve God in spirit and in truth, u will have to deny itself and everything else, that is, u need to make up ur mind that the love or allure of any of those people or things he mentioned, cannot keep u from turning back from the decision. He s talking about a total commitment to his ways, just like when he also said, that" no man who puts his hands on the plough and turns back is fit for the crown." To live for God demands a consecration and strong determination that if necessary, u will forefeit the love or whatsoever affiliations or identity u have to the people or things he mentioned.
Then he guarantees that in so doing, u will have much more of that in this life, albeit with persecution, and u gained eternal life.
Following Christ and his teachings are becoming more difficult in this times and many are falling for the persecutions.
Example..u decide to join d " hustle ' to make it so u don't be intimidated.
U decide to make it anyhow so ur giirl doesn't jilt u.
U decide to steal, kill, maim, live a life against ur spirit because u can't wait anymore on God.
Persecution abounds everywhere today for those who will wait on God. But only a man who has let go of all those things Jesus mentioned will be able to stand firm and win the prize.
Always remember, " we have a great cloud of witness watching us form on high"
1 Million Likes.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Shepherd00: 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2019
Just to.add a few points.

The Lord is not saying that when we accept Him we shd turn away from the aforementioned things, But, if those people and things tends act or react against our affiliation with Him, then forfeit them, and you'd receive much more of what you have forfeited.

But NOTE, persecution (Especially) from family members will accompany you.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Ihedinobi3: 1:47pm On Jun 01, 2019
GoodBoi1:

Hi. I'm a believer in Jesus Christ, God Who became Man so that He would die for us on the Cross to save us from the consequences of all our sins.

You've got a few good responses.

The Lord was teaching that if anyone makes Him the top priority of their life, even to the point of removing any person or thing that opposes His interests in their life, then that person will be compensated in this life for their sacrifice with a family (that is, the Church - fellow believers who love the Lord too) and adequate provision for their needs and they will also experience the emphatic rejection of the world that is a major badge of honor for those who love Him. In addition to all these, that person will also win eternal life along with eternal rewards that the Lord has prepared for those who love Him.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by LordReed(m): 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Hi. I'm a believer in Jesus Christ, God Who became Man so that He would die for us on the Cross to save us from the consequences of all our sins.

You've got a few good responses.

The Lord was teaching that if anyone makes Him the top priority of their life, even to the point of removing any person or thing that opposes His interests in their life, then that person will be compensated in this life for their sacrifice with a family (that is, the Church - fellow believers who love the Lord too) and adequate provision for their needs and they will also experience the emphatic rejection of the world that is a major badge of honor for those who love Him. In addition to all these, that person will also win eternal life along with eternal rewards that the Lord has prepared for those who love Him.

Ok so the hundred fold return on home and fields na wash?
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by CrazyMan(m): 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2019
Whatever sacrifice you give to God, be rest assured that you'll receive it back a 100 fold.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Ihedinobi3: 3:52pm On Jun 01, 2019
LordReed:

Ok so the hundred fold return on home and fields na wash?
What does this mean?

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by LordReed(m): 3:59pm On Jun 01, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

What does this mean?

That there was no actual substance to the claim that those who gave up homes and fields would actually get them back a hundred fold, is that what your reply means? You mentioned nothing about them that's why I am asking.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Ihedinobi3: 5:12pm On Jun 01, 2019
LordReed:

That there was no actual substance to the claim that those who gave up homes and fields would actually get them back a hundred fold, is that what your reply means? You mentioned nothing about them that's why I am asking.
Oh I did. But I get that you don't care much for it. That's fine. You're an unbeliever.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by LordReed(m): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Oh I did. But I get that you don't care much for it. That's fine. You're an unbeliever.

Where or how did you?
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2019
GoodBoi1:

I want to use what i believe was Jesus orientation to interpret this saying of His.

Now there was a point when Jesus was told that His brothers and mother were looking for Him, but this was Jesus' response:

Matthew 12:48-50 (KJV)

48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

So if that orientation of Jesus of who is His brother, sister, and mother etc is applied to that saying, then you could be able to make more sense out of it.

As for the persecutions it is already what any true disciple of Jesus faces on Earth, but the eternal life is the guaranteed reward in heaven.
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by power50: 6:50pm On Jun 01, 2019
Do you own a church? List your church on Nigerian church directory https://www.naijachurches.com.ng/
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Kobojunkie: 3:46am On Dec 16, 2023
GoodBoi1:

To become a follower of Jesus Christ, one must abandon it all, all one's treasures —home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields, etc. — to become worthy of Jesus Christ and in turn gain access to the Kingdom of God through the Narrow Gate which leads to true life. Only those who do will receive the reward described both here on earth and in the age of eternal life which comes after the time of the resurrection. undecided
Re: Can Someone Explain This Scripture For Me by Kobojunkie: 4:47am On Dec 16, 2023
GoodBoi1:
Does it mean the reward will also be on earth and in heaven?
For those who abandoned it all --- friends, family, children, wife/husband, home, jobs/careers, reputation, treasures, etc., -- in order to become Holy and then Righteous, Yes!

(1) (Reply)

Emergency Verdict On Harrassment/attack On Christians. / Question Jehovah's Witnesses Can't Answer! / How Do I Please God (Deeper life or Catholic? )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.