Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:13 PM

Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name (553 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Sells Ballon D’or Trophy To Idan Ofer, Israel’s Richest Man / Messi: I Would Accept Ronaldo's Dinner Invitation / Lionel Messi: "I Miss Having Ronaldo In La Liga" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name by obembet(f): 7:40am On Jun 01, 2019
Messi accepted an interview with FOX Sports Argentina ahead of Copa America, in which he confessed he is pining to win a trophy with Argentina.

"2014 was our year. Unfortunately we had a lot of injuries. It's so unfair because we were so good in the qualifiers and unfortunately we couldn't replicate that in the world cup."

"In the 2018 World Cup, we weren't favorites. We were missing something. However, this year I like the squad. There's a lot og young players with motivation to win."

"I want to finish my career and win something with the national team or try as many times as possible, not to be left with people who did not want me or bad comments towards me.”

"I do not want to be left with the feeling that it did not happen and I let opportunities pass by."

An opportunity to win the next World Cup could pass Messi by, though, as he's confessed that he doesn't know if he will make it to the tournament in Qatar.

"I do not know if I will reach the World Cup in Qatar," Messi said. "God will decide whether it is given to me or not.

"Today I feel great, very well physically, but I'm [almost] 32 years old and I don't know how it's going to go.

"A lot of things can happen, I hope I don't have any serious injuries."

A World Cup and three-time Copa America runner-up, Messi has another chance to add that elusive international title this summer as Argentina go to the Copa America in Brazil.

Argentina play their first game against Colombia on June 15, before further group games against Paraguay and Qatar.

A vintage Messi performance helped put one Barcelona boot in the Champions League final against Liverpool, but he was powerless to prevent the comeback at Anfield as the Barca defence crumbled and teammates missed chances.

After a similar collapse against Roma in the same competition last season, Messi could be forgiven for thinking Barcelona were cursed.

But after seven years of raising his children, he knows the example he has to set.

“That's life," he said. “You stumble but you get back up and fight for your dreams.

“Getting up, trying again, is the message for children who like to watch me.

Source: https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Headline/1439858?id=1439858&type=share&language=en

CC; Lalasticlala

Re: Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name by JasonScoolari: 7:44am On Jun 01, 2019
“Getting up, trying again, is the message for children who like to watch me.

Children like Cristiano Ronaldo will confirm the above statement by his Excellency, Lionel Messi.

2 Likes

Re: Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name by JasonScoolari: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2019
Just like Atiku, His Excellency, Lionel Messi has come to get Argentina working again and he has our full support.

God save our King.

2 Likes

Re: Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name by Ninethmare: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2019
Very impossible

1 Like

Re: Messi: I Want To Retire With An International Trophy To My Name by obembet(f): 12:23pm On Jun 01, 2019
CC; Lalasticlala

Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Ronaldo Hat-trick Puts Portugal In Nations League Final / Man Hilariously Accuse Female Footballer, Rita For Beating Him In Primary School / Enyimba International Win 2018/2019 NPFL Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.