Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,698 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know (60418 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / Which Is The Most Used English Word On Nairaland For 2017? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by chosenchild: 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2019
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by papyskinsy: 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2019
these are wat de mod should be posting on front-page and not Daniel Reginna dis and dat..
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by SweetCunt97(f): 7:35pm On Jun 02, 2019
Spare us. Even oyibo no dey use all this gibberish.

Never seen any of these words in any novels I've read.

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by chosenchild: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
lol
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by adecz: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
grin grin

Add.

*Serendipity; A happenstance that fall to
your favor.

* Brouhaha;
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by GMacbeth: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
Urgent help needed with this maths question

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by ElChidi: 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
vincixpresso:
20 RARELY USED ENGLISH WORDS THAT WE NEED TO KNOW

#ClearsThroat

#GLABELLA : The space between your eyebrows is called glabella

#PETRICHOR : The way it smells after the rain is called petrichor

#AGLET : The plastic or metallic coating at the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet

#WAMBLE : The rumbling of the stomach is actually called a wamble

#VAGITUS : The cry of a new born baby is called vagitus

#TINES : The prongs on a fork are called tines

#PHOSPHENES : The sheen or light that you see, when you close your eyes and press your hands on them is called phosphenes

#BOX_TENT : The tiny plastic table placed in the middle of a pizza box is called a box tent

#OVERMORROW : The day after tomorrow is called an overmorrow

#MINIMUS : Your tiny toe or finger is called minimus

#AGRAFFE : The wired cage that holds the cork in a bottle of champagne is called an agraffe

#VOCABLES : The 'na na na' and 'la la la' that don't have any meaning in the lyrics of a song or speech are called vocables

#INTERROBANG : When you combine a question mark and an exclamation mark (like this '?!), it is referred to as an interrobang

#COLUMELLA_NASI : The space between your nostrils is called columella nasi

#ARMSCYE : The armhole in clothes, where the sleeves are sewn, is called armscye

#DYSANIA : The condition of finding it difficult to get out of the bed in the morning is called dysania

#GRIFFONAGE : Unreadable handwriting is called griffonage (are you reading this dear doctors?)

#TITTLE : The dot over an 'i' or a 'j' is called tittle

#CRAPULENCE : The utterly sick feelings you get after eating or drinking too much is called crapulence

#BRANNOCK_DEVICE : The metallic device used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called brannock device

BONUS WORDS:

#MANNEQUIN : Human like objects at the boutiques wearing clothes

#GUFFAW : The actual thing you do when you laugh out loud (instead of lazily typing LOLS)

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by SeriouslySense(m): 7:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
AWỌN NIPA = GRIFFONAGE (in yoruba)

AHỤRỤ = GRIFFONAGE (In Igbo)
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Wolexyoshi(m): 7:38pm On Jun 02, 2019
Nice one. I picked like 4 out of it all that I will start using

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by ofurufu(m): 7:38pm On Jun 02, 2019
vincixpresso:
20 RARELY USED ENGLISH WORDS THAT WE NEED TO KNOW

#ClearsThroat

#GLABELLA : The space between your eyebrows is called glabella

#PETRICHOR : The way it smells after the rain is called petrichor

#AGLET : The plastic or metallic coating at the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet

#WAMBLE : The rumbling of the stomach is actually called a wamble

#VAGITUS : The cry of a new born baby is called vagitus

#TINES : The prongs on a fork are called tines

#PHOSPHENES : The sheen or light that you see, when you close your eyes and press your hands on them is called phosphenes

#BOX_TENT : The tiny plastic table placed in the middle of a pizza box is called a box tent

#OVERMORROW : The day after tomorrow is called an overmorrow

#MINIMUS : Your tiny toe or finger is called minimus

#AGRAFFE : The wired cage that holds the cork in a bottle of champagne is called an agraffe

#VOCABLES : The 'na na na' and 'la la la' that don't have any meaning in the lyrics of a song or speech are called vocables

#INTERROBANG : When you combine a question mark and an exclamation mark (like this '?!), it is referred to as an interrobang

#COLUMELLA_NASI : The space between your nostrils is called columella nasi

#ARMSCYE : The armhole in clothes, where the sleeves are sewn, is called armscye

#DYSANIA : The condition of finding it difficult to get out of the bed in the morning is called dysania

#GRIFFONAGE : Unreadable handwriting is called griffonage (are you reading this dear doctors?)

#TITTLE : The dot over an 'i' or a 'j' is called tittle

#CRAPULENCE : The utterly sick feelings you get after eating or drinking too much is called crapulence

#BRANNOCK_DEVICE : The metallic device used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called brannock device

BONUS WORDS:

#MANNEQUIN : Human like objects at the boutiques wearing clothes

#GUFFAW : The actual thing you do when you laugh out loud (instead of lazily typing LOLS)

The bonus ones are the only relevant ones.

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Babalegba(m): 7:39pm On Jun 02, 2019
Virtually all the words apart from mannequin and guffaw are obsolete.Using them would make psychiatrists look at you with pity. grin

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by hopexter(m): 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2019
I find it difficult to fall asleep at night but when I finally do, I find it hard to get out of bed. Insomnia leads to Dysania smiley cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by JAYORY(m): 7:43pm On Jun 02, 2019
all this one na scam English is whatever we choose to speak angry
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Realbelieveer(m): 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2019
If I pronounce any for house. Bulb go burn

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Chijeep(m): 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2019
undecided do Dangote knws abt dx
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by DEIFIED(m): 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2019
Wowww. this is informative. thanks op.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Dagger111(m): 7:45pm On Jun 02, 2019
Mrshape:
Overmorrow is outdated English, the right phrase is the day after tomorrow.

Abi o, i can't see overmorrow in my dictionary o.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 7:46pm On Jun 02, 2019
K
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by mcdokwe(m): 7:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Know it and use it to do what kwanu?
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by darkelf: 7:49pm On Jun 02, 2019
SweetCunt97:
Spare us. Even oyibo no dey use all this gibberish.

Never seen any of these words in any novels I've read.

Some are outdated English, that's why

Still a learning opportunity for thee
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by SeriouslySense(m): 7:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
So i decided to check google translate for the translation in our native Languages and this is what i found, i think there is a lot of mismatch or error

WAMBLE = AHỤ (IGBO)

PHOSPHENES = NDỤMỌDỤ (IGBO)

VOCABLES = ECHICHE (IGBO) = GABARI (HAusa) = AWỌN NIPA (Hausa)

INTERROBANG = AHỤ (IGBO)

GRIFFONAGE = AHỤRỤ (IGBO)

CRAPULENCE = MGBE (IGBO) = GASKIYA(hausa) = AGBARA (yoruba)
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Codes151(m): 7:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
Rarely used should tell you it’s irrelevant
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
Vulcanheph:
At first at thought "INTERROBANG" meant something else.... grin
Perv.....
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by modupe2: 7:52pm On Jun 02, 2019
Same here....overmorrow is adopted asap

Yuceeluv:
Adopting "overmorrow" asap. Will use it to yeye some peeps around me. grin

PS: "mannequin" is very commonly used...oh and for those who do not know, it is pronounced, 'manikin'...
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by adeyemi91(m): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2019
Obviously they'll be rarely used.. Who go dey put all dese ones for head.. Lol
Nice one tho

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by ibkayee(f): 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2019
Only ever used mannequin and guffaw
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Mrshape: 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2019
Dagger111:

Abi o, i can't see overmorrow in my dictionary o.
Check this

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by shiffynaani(m): 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2019
I KNOW I'LL PROBABLY LEAVE OTHERS ON THIS THREAD BUT....OVERMORROW, YOU ARE COMING WITH ME. OYA PACK YA LOAD
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by shegzydave(m): 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
woow nice,gonna write this inside my educative jotter asap
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Sirpee01(m): 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
Educative##
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by adusky1(m): 7:57pm On Jun 02, 2019
cacatine d eir cream titus fish inside tin
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Oguieke(m): 7:58pm On Jun 02, 2019
GUFFAWS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) / Killings Of Innocent Unijos Students.. / See How My Jss 2 Student Rudely Wrote An Apology Letter To Me(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.