Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know (60422 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / Which Is The Most Used English Word On Nairaland For 2017? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by naijaschoolguru(m): 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2019
solmusdesigns:
cool

Abeg , am more than happy with my basic English and my in depth knowledge of my mother tongue.... even if you speak english of british ancestors the wouldnt still think of you more than the balck man they see in you, their embassy staff would still look at you like a refugee, begging for visa no matter how much is in your account
We have started again with this our mentality.

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Blue3k(m): 8:01pm On Jun 02, 2019
Lol I knew about aglets watching Disney channel.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Offpoint1: 8:03pm On Jun 02, 2019
Uyi168:
I'll probably forget 95% of these immediately I leave this thread...
cry
lol, your own still better... before I quote you I don forget 98% already.

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Mikkystorm: 8:05pm On Jun 02, 2019
Lol, let's be honest Next Tomorrow actually sounds better than OverMorrow grin grin grin
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by xpool(m): 8:06pm On Jun 02, 2019
Utthaan4:
Great!!, you deserve nice commendation for this compilation.
Nice if you are correct
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by solmusdesigns: 8:06pm On Jun 02, 2019
naijaschoolguru:

which mentality oo my brother which one? learning the Language of people that would give you admission so you can pay 10m in tuition and chase you out of their country imediately after graduation, since you are not good enough for their economy.. abeg i'll rather use my time learning, i'll rather learn German, Mandarin or Arabic knowing fully well that can actually boost my job prospects
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Kennydoc(m): 8:09pm On Jun 02, 2019
vincixpresso:
20 RARELY USED ENGLISH WORDS THAT WE NEED TO KNOW

#ClearsThroat

#GLABELLA : The space between your eyebrows is called glabella

#PETRICHOR : The way it smells after the rain is called petrichor

#AGLET : The plastic or metallic coating at the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet

#WAMBLE : The rumbling of the stomach is actually called a wamble

#VAGITUS : The cry of a new born baby is called vagitus

#TINES : The prongs on a fork are called tines

#PHOSPHENES : The sheen or light that you see, when you close your eyes and press your hands on them is called phosphenes

#BOX_TENT : The tiny plastic table placed in the middle of a pizza box is called a box tent

#OVERMORROW : The day after tomorrow is called an overmorrow

#MINIMUS : Your tiny toe or finger is called minimus

#AGRAFFE : The wired cage that holds the cork in a bottle of champagne is called an agraffe

#VOCABLES : The 'na na na' and 'la la la' that don't have any meaning in the lyrics of a song or speech are called vocables

#INTERROBANG : When you combine a question mark and an exclamation mark (like this '?!), it is referred to as an interrobang

#COLUMELLA_NASI : The space between your nostrils is called columella nasi

#ARMSCYE : The armhole in clothes, where the sleeves are sewn, is called armscye

#DYSANIA : The condition of finding it difficult to get out of the bed in the morning is called dysania

#GRIFFONAGE : Unreadable handwriting is called griffonage (are you reading this dear doctors?)

#TITTLE : The dot over an 'i' or a 'j' is called tittle

#CRAPULENCE : The utterly sick feelings you get after eating or drinking too much is called crapulence

#BRANNOCK_DEVICE : The metallic device used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called brannock device

BONUS WORDS:

#MANNEQUIN : Human like objects at the boutiques wearing clothes

#GUFFAW : The actual thing you do when you laugh out loud (instead of lazily typing LOLS)

I can't bet that 70% of English people don't know up to half of these words.

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by adediranta(m): 8:09pm On Jun 02, 2019
VOCABLES has become ADLIBS
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Thescome(m): 8:13pm On Jun 02, 2019
GMacbeth:
Urgent help needed with this maths question

y = tan2x
y' = dy/dx = 2sec²2x......eqn(1)

Considering the right hand side of the equation: 2(1+y²)

This equals 2(1+ (tan2x)²)

= 2(1 + tan²2x)...........eqn(2)

Recall from trig identity: 1 + tan²x = sec²x

similarly 1+ tan²2x = sec²2x

∴ eqn(2) becomes:
2(sec²2x) = 2sec²2x = 2(1+y²)............eqn(3)

comparing eqn(1) and eqn(3)

we have 2sec²2x = y' = 2(1+y²)

PROVED
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by flamingREED(m): 8:19pm On Jun 02, 2019
WOW, WOW, WOW!
My students, I'm coming.

I like this post.
I like 'phosphorenes'.
With all my self-acclaimed word power I've known only three:
Petrichor, Tittle and mannequin.
The third has a homophone which caused me a recollection problem.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Uyi168: 8:26pm On Jun 02, 2019
Offpoint1:

lol, your own still better... before I quote you I don forget 98% already.
.. grin
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by eteba(m): 8:28pm On Jun 02, 2019
the distance btw vulva and clits is called........oblikitus
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by aadoiza: 8:34pm On Jun 02, 2019
vincixpresso:

#ClearsThroat

#AGLET : The plastic or metallic coating at the end of your shoelaces is called an aglet

#PHOSPHENES : The sheen or light that you see, when you close your eyes and press your hands on them is called phosphenes

#BOX_TENT : The tiny plastic table placed in the middle of a pizza box is called a box tent

#AGRAFFE : The wired cage that holds the cork in a bottle of champagne is called an agraffe

#VOCABLES : The 'na na na' and 'la la la' that don't have any meaning in the lyrics of a song or speech are called vocables

#INTERROBANG : When you combine a question mark and an exclamation mark (like this '?!), it is referred to as an interrobang

#ARMSCYE : The armhole in clothes, where the sleeves are sewn, is called armscye

#DYSANIA : The condition of finding it difficult to get out of the bed in the morning is called dysania

#GRIFFONAGE : Unreadable handwriting is called griffonage (are you reading this dear doctors?)

#CRAPULENCE : The utterly sick feelings you get after eating or drinking too much is called crapulence

#BRANNOCK_DEVICE : The metallic device used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called brannock device

BONUS WORDS:

#GUFFAW : The actual thing you do when you laugh out loud (instead of lazily typing LOLS)

Make I drop some grin
Borborygmus
Sciapodous
Jilick
Natiform
Tatteredemalion

To be cont'd..... shocked shocked
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 02, 2019
Old or not old, me I am personally bringing back overmorrow lol
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Sluacoast(m): 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
Yuceeluv:
Adopting "overmorrow" asap. Will use it to yeye some peeps around me. grin

PS: "mannequin" is very commonly used...oh and for those who do not know, it is pronounced, 'manikin'...
They are correct but are now archaic. People would never take you serious when you used it on them
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by InvertedHammer: 8:37pm On Jun 02, 2019
/
Why bother?

Most English people don't know the meaning of those words.

Don't cry more than the bereaved. Don't strive to be more English than the English.

/
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by may320: 8:45pm On Jun 02, 2019
modupe2:
Same here....overmorrow is adopted asap
Overmorrow is outdated. Don't let them make jest of you outside. Its next tomorrow now.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Vulcanheph(m): 8:45pm On Jun 02, 2019
olaBC007:

Perv.....
For you to know what I was thinking means you are also a perv.... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Gabson001(m): 8:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
Op u deserve sumthng nice, please send your account details plus your pin let me transfer little token to you.. I repeat your pin very important
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by GreatestA1(m): 8:53pm On Jun 02, 2019
Yuceeluv:
Adopting "overmorrow" asap. Will use it to yeye some peeps around me. grin

PS: "mannequin" is very commonly used...oh and for those who do not know, it is pronounced, 'manikin'...
You will be guffawed at, if you do. "Overmorrow" has gone into disuse and out of date.

What's currently in use and proper is "A day after tomorrow".

N:B: Whenever you come across a new word that piques your interest, don't be in a hurry to employ them in excitement. Relax and search for the word in the dictionary to see how it is used and if it is obsolete or not.

I read the post of one guy on Nairaland who once wrote "Thank God for the sweet victory today. It was Pyrrhic!"

"Pyrrhic" is a dulcet(sweet) word, right? The dude felt it meant something exciting. But a Pyrrhic victory is actually a victory that's akin to a defeat, a loss. No one celebrates a Pyrrhic victory because the loss incurred outweighs the gains. Dude must have been feeling like a grammarian, since no one corrected him.

1 Like

Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by basty: 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
vincixpresso:

#ClearsThroat

BONUS WORDS:

All I need to say is, you are wonderful. However, you belong to the class of old Nairalanders
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Kennitrust(m): 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2019
Even oyinbo doesn't use most of these English
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by banio: 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2019
Who English Epp.

Money ti take ova in.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Indomie001: 9:07pm On Jun 02, 2019
Just like yesterday we started fasting so safe to say Eid-kebir celebration is overmorrow sad
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by ImDStar: 9:08pm On Jun 02, 2019
Nice
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by wellmax(m): 9:12pm On Jun 02, 2019
At least I know one of the words before.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by GMbuharii: 9:15pm On Jun 02, 2019
Wao! Griffonage..

Example of sentence: "All CONEHEADS are Griffons",but not Griffonage

grin
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 02, 2019
#VAGITUS : The cry of a new born baby is called ,must have been coined after the passage .sense no go kill man vagitus
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Temitope124(m): 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2019
love this man....kudos....
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by modupe2: 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2019
I know overmorrow and ereyesterday are outdated brother. I only said the usage has been adopted asap based on this subject of discussion......

may320:

Overmorrow is outdated. Don't let them make jest of you outside. Its next tomorrow now.
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by wenge(m): 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
great
Re: 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know by Blacksavage: 9:46pm On Jun 02, 2019
Mrshape:
Overmorrow is outdated English, the right phrase is the day after tomorrow.
We know over sabi.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) / Killings Of Innocent Unijos Students.. / See How My Jss 2 Student Rudely Wrote An Apology Letter To Me(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.