Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,945 members, 7,799,206 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha (22716 Views)

Shehu Sani Advises Tinubu To Learn From Abiola’s Travails / June 12: How Jonathan Reduced MKO Abiola To Local Champion – Tony Momoh / MKO Abiola & Obasanjo In Secondary School (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by obembet(f): 7:37am On Jun 02, 2019
June 12: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Help Organize Retired Military Officers Against Abacha--MKO Abiola’s Brother

Muritala Abiola, brother of the winner of June 12, 1993, election MKO Abiola has slammed former President Olusegun Obasanjo for the role he played in the June 12 struggle, noting that he is an “enemy” of the Abiola family.

Abiola, the presumed winner of June 12, 1993, presidential election died on July 7, 1998. Pro-democracy activists will mark the 26th anniversary of the election on June 12, 2019.

Chief Muritala Abiola claimed Obasanjo contributed to Abiola’s death despite benefiting immensely from Abiola’s generosity. He added that Obasanjo allegedly received N3m from Abiola to help organise retired military officers against the late dictator, Sani Abacha.

“I don’t fear any man. I took N3m cheque from MKO Abiola to Obasanjo’s driver… that he (Obasanjo) wanted to organise the retirement of Army officers meeting so as to confront Abacha. I took the cheque from him with my hands. My brother’s bag was always by his arms. He took a pen and the cheque, wrote the amount while I gave the cheque to Obasanjo’s driver,” he said.

Chief Muritala Abiola disclosed this in a 2017 interview with Asabe TV Africa where he narrated his encounter with Obasanjo over the June 12 struggle and how he challenged Obasanjo for been culpable in truncating the mandate.

He said, “I was with Obasanjo on January 6 this year (2017). I spent four hours with him in his Hilltop home. We discussed so many issues. I told him face to face that he is an enemy of the Abiola family. He asked me what he had done to be called an enemy. I told him he contributed to the death of MKO. He (Obasanjo) said, “how?”

“The Arewa people said they wanted to compensate Yoruba and they said they wanted the President to come from the South and so on. Ibrahim Babangida came to discuss this and your response (Obasanjo’s) was that in Yoruba land if one King does not die, we cannot have another king. In a simple language, you were asking them to go and kill my brother (MKO Abiola) and that was what happened.”

Asked what Obasanjo’s response to his accusation was, Chief Muritala Abiola said, “After telling him that, he said they should prepare food for me. I told him I didn’t visit him because I wanted to eat. He(Obasanjo) said, 'I don’t give people money.' I said, 'I don’t need your money. I didn’t come for money. We have cleared what I came for.' He asked them to give me four bags of rice and four tubers of yam and put it in my car boot. I just left the place."

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2019/06/01/june-12-obasanjo-collected-n3m-abiola-help-organize-retired-military-officers-against

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Tocynone(m): 7:44am On Jun 02, 2019
Baba, come and defend your self

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by dokyOloye: 7:49am On Jun 02, 2019
Ghen ghen
Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by OAUTemitayo: 8:05am On Jun 02, 2019
OBJ has always been an hypocrite

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by aolawale025: 8:13am On Jun 02, 2019
Some aspects of the June 12 struggle still unknown

13 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Xisnin(m): 8:17am On Jun 02, 2019
So what?
Where were you when OBJ was thrown into prison by Abacha?
This is like a coward blaming a soldier for dying in battle.

78 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Niaja4real(m): 8:49am On Jun 02, 2019
obembet:
Muritala Abiola, brother of the winner of June 12, 1993, election MKO Abiola has slammed former President Olusegun Obasanjo for the role he played in the June 12 struggle, noting that he is an “enemy” of the Abiola family.Abiola, the presumed winner of June 12, 1993, presidential election died on July 7, 1998. Pro-democracy activists will mark the 26th anniversary of the election on June 12, 2019.

Muritala Abiola, brother of the winner of June 12, 1993, election MKO Abiola has slammed former President Olusegun Obasanjo for the role he played in the June 12 struggle, noting that he is an “enemy” of the Abiola family.
Abiola, the presumed winner of June 12, 1993, presidential election died on July 7, 1998. Pro-democracy activists will mark the 26th anniversary of the election on June 12, 2019.

Chief Muritala Abiola claimed Obasanjo contributed to Abiola’s death despite benefiting immensely from Abiola’s generosity. He added that Obasanjo allegedly received N3m from Abiola to help organise retired military officers against the late dictator, Sani Abacha.

“I don’t fear any man. I took N3m cheque from MKO Abiola to Obasanjo’s driver… that he (Obasanjo) wanted to organise the retirement of Army officers meeting so as to confront Abacha. I took the cheque from him with my hands. My brother’s bag was always by his arms. He took a pen and the cheque, wrote the amount while I gave the cheque to Obasanjo’s driver,” he said.

Chief Muritala Abiola disclosed this in a 2017 interview with Asabe TV Africa where he narrated his encounter with Obasanjo over the June 12 struggle and how he challenged Obasanjo for been culpable in truncating the mandate.
He said, “I was with Obasanjo on January 6 this year (2017). I spent four hours with him in his Hilltop home. We discussed so many issues. I told him face to face that he is an enemy of the Abiola family. He asked me what he had done to be called an enemy. I told him he contributed to the death of MKO. He (Obasanjo) said, “how?”

“The Arewa people said they wanted to compensate Yoruba and they said they wanted the President to come from the South and so on. Ibrahim Babangida came to discuss this and your response (Obasanjo’s) was that in Yoruba land if one King does not die, we cannot have another king. In a simple language, you were asking them to go and kill my brother (MKO Abiola) and that was what happened.”

Asked what Obasanjo’s response to his accusation was, Chief Muritala Abiola said, “After telling him that, he said they should prepare food for me. I told him I didn’t visit him because I wanted to eat. He(Obasanjo) said, 'I don’t give people money.' I said, 'I don’t need your money. I didn’t come for money. We have cleared what I came for.' He asked them to give me four bags of rice and four tubers of yam and put it in my car boot. I just left the place."

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2019/06/01/june-12-obasanjo-collected-n3m-abiola-help-organize-retired-military-officers-against
U said u gave a cheque of 3m from your brother to OBJ's driver with no name & no specific date, how are u sure the person u gave the alleged cheque to, was OBJ's driver since u were not sensible enough to enquire of his name. Assuming, but not conceding, that the person u delivered the alleged cheque to, was indeed, one of OBJ's driver, how sure are u?, that the alleged cheque actually got to Chief Obasanjo?, as u could not confront him with the alleged cheque issue when u claimed to have met with him one on one. And beside, u said u rejected food that was offered to u & perhaps money, but collected 4 bags of rice & some tubers of yam in your car trunk & went back home. To me, u sound more like an unrepentant lie & like another attention seeker.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Oshin56(m): 9:18am On Jun 02, 2019
See this he has forgotten that his brother planed with IBB to take over, secondly obj was in abacha prison how come someone that's in prison his driver will now come and collect cheque for him, some naive can believe this but I know there's still intelligent people that will not believe it.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by fergie001: 10:03am On Jun 02, 2019
Asked what Obasanjo’s response to his accusation was, Chief Muritala Abiola said, “After telling him that, he said they should prepare food for me.

OBJ is da king of savagery......... grin
Maybe na food dey make the man speak amiss...

That's why am using his book to power the nation shocked

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by obembet(f): 11:17am On Jun 02, 2019
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by chloride6: 12:26pm On Jun 02, 2019
Obj will nearly die on June 12..

6 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Frankyboy1(m): 5:20pm On Jun 02, 2019
Inconsequential information in the present scheme of things, we have to move away from this yesterdays men

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by MrRhymes101(m): 5:21pm On Jun 02, 2019
At that time? Guess Abiola was truly as rich as we read... Wedding MC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by MrAnele(m): 5:22pm On Jun 02, 2019
The past is the past ...

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by Binikingdowm: 5:22pm On Jun 02, 2019
Lies

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by udemzyudex(m): 5:23pm On Jun 02, 2019
Tocynone:
Baba, come and defend your self

Defend what if I may ask?

7 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by FLYFIRE(m): 5:24pm On Jun 02, 2019
APC CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS...IDIATS

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by emmasege: 5:24pm On Jun 02, 2019
Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by emmasege: 5:24pm On Jun 02, 2019
OAUTemitayo:
OBJ has always been an hypocrite
Honestly, I don't find OBJ culpable in Muritala Abiola's submission.

OBJ's statement that "if a king doesn't die, another doesn't get enthroned" can be interpreted either way to mean loyalty or betrayal to the Yoruba cause. It depends on the perspective from which one is looking at it.

11 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by nabegibeg: 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2019
obembet:
June 12: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Help Organize Retired Military Officers Against Abacha--MKO Abiola’s Brother

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by NOC1(m): 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2019
Niaja4real:

U said u gave a cheque of 3m from your brother to OBJ's driver with no name & no specific date, how are u sure the person u gave the alleged cheque to, was OBJ's driver since u were not sensible enough to enquire of his name. Assuming, but not conceding, that the person u delivered the alleged cheque to, was indeed, one of OBJ's driver, how sure are u?, that the alleged cheque actually got to Chief Obasanjo?, as u could not confront him with the alleged cheque issue when u claimed to have met with him one on one. And beside, u said u rejected food that was offered to u & perhaps money, but collected 4 bags of rice & some tubers of yam in your car trunk & went back home. To me, u sound more like an unrepentant lie & like another attention seeker.

For me you sound so daft, i can only ignore or retrieve my statement if you are a spoke person to OBJ or his PA. What is your business with the name of the driver, something you have no experience of how it work, keeping quiet should have been the solution.
The Drivers and the personal securities are the main people who distribute and collect money for their bosses.
If you have had political relationship with someone for quite a time you must have known his personal aides, because he must have sent them to you in one or two occasions. All he need to tell you is give the cheque to my driver, he will be coming in the evening. Moreover in this context it is a cheque that will be cashed by the person which it is addressed to, the driver can't cash it.
I don't know why most of you forget your brain when defending your demi gods.
Obj is old enough to debunk the news.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by MorufuAtanda: 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2019
APC Don dey use Afonja against Afonja.

We Yorubas are never united.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by crazygod(m): 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2019
Getaway u. U didn't say anything when MKO was also among those that sponsored IBB's coup against Buhari in the eighties. Abeg go and sleep. What goes around comes around

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by jchioma: 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
grin

1 Like

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by princeade86(m): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
When he was in prison abi, or the same obj that has 25k inside his account

3 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by NIJJAking(m): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2019
REPENT NOW EVERYONE OF YOUR SINFUL EVIL WAYS OF LIFE TO AVOID SPENDING YOUR ETERNITY IN HELL FIRE,,,,,,JESUS CHRIST LOVE YOU SOO MUCH AND WARN YOU TO REPENT AND CONVERT NOW TO CHRISTIANITY TO AVOID HELL FIRE WHEN YOU DIE,,,,God made you to be with Him here and in eternity,,,,you are not a mistake creature,,,be wise dont gamble with your eternity. Eternity may seem miles away actually it is a split seconds away once death comes

5 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by karashita: 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2019
Niaja4real:

Are you minding him?Where was he all these years?How come he is the only one privy to the knowledge?Sebi June 12 has been declared 'democracy day'....that is enough for them to be running mouth anyhow.

7 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by emmykk(m): 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2019
If money was collected to rally people around ,obj is helping out in time of problem.

The truth is obj can't suggest that abiola should be assassinated,IBB know that if Abiola is made president he will suffer since he annulled the elections in the first place.it is only wise for them (ibb and abubakar)to take him out after abacha death and reward obj for his unbiased stand to support a northern shagari over awolowo

6 Likes

Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by luluosas(m): 5:40pm On Jun 02, 2019
And OBJ never denied it. Hmm
Re: Muritala Abiola: Obasanjo Collected N3m From Abiola To Work Against Abacha by BrainSanitizer: 5:40pm On Jun 02, 2019
This story is crooked. The guy may be making up some things. But trust me, he's driving somewhere.
There's a clamour for power shift to the south in 2023. The south east is outta the picture now since they didn't vote for Buhari. The south south is PDP controlled so the current federal government would not favour them. That leaves the south west in an advantage position. Obasanjo's tent is pitched against Buhari. Obasanjo's enemies are Buhari's friends. Buhari brought about the recognition of June 12.
Now when power shifts to the south west (if at all it does), it'll be logical to assume that Buhari would drive towards heroism by supporting an Abiola in order to compensate the Abiolas and give Obasanjo a worse name among his people.
This dude has thought of this possibly so he decided to make his first move.
It's a good move if you ask me, except that
1. Buhari as a figure is not as powerful as perceived due to the cabal factor,
2. The APC may not decide who rules Nigeria next,
3. If they are lucky to hold the aces till 2023, the north is 85℅ likely to want to hold onto power,
4. If they decide to cede power to the south west, Tinubu would definitely hijack the slot and wouldn't cave in to any case of compensation for the Abiolas.

If there's no other motive than just "setting the records straight", why are we hearing of this now when the interview was said to have been granted in 2017?
Just watch as more and more anti-Obasanjo and pro-Buhari utterances would come from this dude.
I can't wait to hear what he'll say on the 12th of June.

Just my assessment of the situation and humble opinion.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buba Galadima: Buhari’s Marabouts Advised Him Against Removing Service Chiefs / Jones Oladeinde Arogbofa Dies At 72 / Don’t Use Ekweremadu As A Sacrificial Lamb – Ohanaeze Warns Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.