Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,444 members, 7,801,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About (47101 Views)

The Health Implications Of Fasting - What You Must Know / 10 Amazing Psychological Facts Everyone Needs To Know About Life / Best Teeth Whitening Product In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Dentalgist: 10:31am On Jun 02, 2019
It is worrisome when you see someone with the normal colour of teeth requesting for teeth whitening.

When the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry asked people what they’d most like to improve about their smile, the most common response was whiter teeth. The American Association of Orthodontists also found that nearly 90% of patients requested tooth whitening. It’s okay when you want a whiter teeth, but you must know that not every teeth need to be whitened and not every discoloured teeth is amenable to teeth whitening. You have to be realistic about your expectations.

Before you spend your hard-earned money on teeth whitening, read the following basic facts:

1 . Expecting perfection just leads to disappointment – Your teeth will probably never be 100 percent white even if you’re using the absolute best and most expensive treatment out there. If you expect your teeth to go from being yellowed and even brown in nature to perfectly pearly white, you’re leading yourself up to some disappointment. However, if you are diligent with treatments and whiten your teeth at least once or twice a year, you’ll find that you can keep stains at bay and get your teeth to where they’re beautifully white.

2. It only whitens a few shades – If you have very yellowed teeth from smoking, drinking and other activities and expect the whitening treatment to get your smile to near perfect whiteness, you’re only gearing yourself up for disappointment. Tooth whitening products often whiten teeth just two to five shades per treatment. Using a tooth shade chart can help you to determine where you’d like to be after treatment is finished.

3. Results aren’t permanent – Just because you’re whitening your teeth now does not mean that your teeth are going to stay white for the rest of your life. Results only last as long as you maintain them and avoid dark foods and drinks. Once you go back to smoking or drinking coffee, the stains will again build upon and within the enamel, requiring future whitening treatments.

4. Not all products work the same – Every whitening product on the market works differently in some way. Some products rely on thin strips that are placed on the teeth and worn for 30 to 60 minutes per day. Other products use hard plastic trays that are filled with a gel to whiten the teeth. Others use a blue LED light to help the gels penetrate deeper. When choosing a product, it’s important to consider what you are able to afford and the results you’re looking to achieve.

5. There are side effects – The most common side effect of whitening your teeth is having gum and tooth sensitivity. However, this sensitivity typically only lasts during the treatment and for about a week afterward, so it is not permanent. Another common side effect of whitening the teeth is having small white blotches on the surface of the teeth. This is caused by the peroxide working underneath the enamel and eradicating stains, some often being removed quicker than others. This is also a temporary side effect that you should not worry about.

6. Crowns and veneers can’t be whitened – If you have crowns or veneers, they cannot be whitened using whitening products. These appliances were created in a dental lab for you and the porcelain surface of the crown or veneer was determined during its creation. Therefore, it cannot be changed with whitening products. If you have veneers in the front of your mouth or a crown that you’d like to whiten, your best bet is to talk to a dentist about having the appliance removed and remade for you in a lighter shade.

7. It’s best to whiten dirty teeth – Believe it or not, it is best to use your whitening treatments on teeth that have not been brushed. When you brush your teeth, you take away any plaque on the surface of your tooth, which many products use as a way to adhere better to the teeth. When your teeth are perfectly clean, you’ll find that the products do not stick or work the way that they should.

8. The best time to whiten is before bed – At night, you won’t be eating or drinking the same way you would during the day. This allows any leftover peroxide from the whitening treatment to penetrate the teeth even further without being disturbed. In the morning, you can brush your teeth as you would normally.

9. It’s safe – Tooth whitening products are made using either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, which are both incredibly common ingredients in most dental products. Because of their long history of being used in the dental field, they’re incredibly safe and will not damage or destroy your teeth. However, it is important to note that you should not whiten your teeth excessively, as this can literally strip the teeth of their opaque nature and cause a more translucent look to your smile.

https://dentalgist.ng/9-facts-everyone-must-know-about-teeth-whitening

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Rollins777(m): 3:47pm On Jun 02, 2019
This teeth whitening of a thing advert is too much, scamming about it is too much.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by monaPhilz: 3:47pm On Jun 02, 2019
Tinubu should whiten his teeth for Lagos would recover her lost glory(Cleanliness).

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Lotel: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
T
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by abmuheez: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Log on ykworld.com.ng for more news updates
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by meobizy(f): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
I’ll leave pearly whites to celebrities.
All I need from my teeth is the strength to masticate food and health to stay with me for the longest time possible.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by dipseacon: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Any girl around Egbe/Ikotun area that is single? I'm a fineboy looking for a friend with benefit

4 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by flames007(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Funny sha.
Seems our dear mods would like some free teeth whitening.see the speed dey use push am reach fp grin

Dentalgist pls why can't crown be whitened?that's where the most problems is.
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Zabilon007(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Firminho and Klopp's dentist, can get you a permanent result cool

13 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by newproject(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Why

not

facts
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by osemoses1234(m): 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2019
Use kpako

1 Like

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by ainas247: 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2019
grin
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by osemoses1234(m): 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2019
dipseacon:
Any girl around Egbe/Ikotun area that is single? I'm a fineboy looking for a friend with benefit
ashawo dey around trinity bus stop or go ur village go find babe

32 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by dingbang(m): 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
Focus on making sure you ain't got bad breath! That one is more important

16 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Karrima: 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
Great
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by SeriouslySense(m): 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
i always wanted a white sparkling teeth

1 Like

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by ClassicMG(m): 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
I need free bracing embarassed
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Seacube: 3:50pm On Jun 02, 2019
Wetin we dey White the teeth for
cool
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by AllenSpencer: 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
10. Ogbono, Egusi and Okro soup will never taste best in your mouth again after using any of this products

8 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by RealSniper: 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
Tinubu teeth better pass white teeth unto pocket level.

1 Like

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by AverageAnnie(f): 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
I wanna whiten mine... Any known product for this plz

4 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Robbin7(m): 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
Noted!
What about tetracycline defected teeth, can it be whitened?
How much does it cost to have the process done?
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by PUSSYHOE(m): 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2019
Seacube:
Wetin we dey White the teeth for
cool
If you suck a clean pussy you will get a perfect white teeth.

2 Likes

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2019
What of someone with coloration of teeth! To have a part of the teeth lighter than the other side of the teeth. How can it be fixed.
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by letitrainnow(m): 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2019
Good info.
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by AbooNasir(m): 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2019
i prefer those brown milky teeth to white teeth any time any day.......my ex Gf teeth was brown and milky,with her complexion the teeth come make brain... White teeth no guarantee say u no go geh mouth odor na

1 Like

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2019
Very good thread.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by bentwood85(m): 3:59pm On Jun 02, 2019
TINUBU WOULD NEED IT..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Duggedised12(f): 4:05pm On Jun 02, 2019
I have seen too many YouTube videos on using baking soda and toothpaste while this is something that should not be done regularly due to the effects it has on the gum,I choose to stick with chewing stick does wonders than dental floss.
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by naijajobx: 4:08pm On Jun 02, 2019
Oh
Re: Teeth Whitening: 9 Facts Everyone Must Know About by Yewandequeen(f): 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2019
Darato:
Fact/Truth- Men in the house, warn your wives not to take tetracycline tablet during pregnancy if not the baby will grow up having yellow teeth. If you think it's a lie, you can try it out then thank me in the future.
never heard this before but will avoid it. I no kuku dey take am before

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors Operate On An Orphan In Imo To Remove Tumor (Viewers Discretion) / What's This? What Appeared On My Mother's Hands / Ecoslim: All You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.