Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Good Things Happening In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Good Things Happening In Nigeria (50345 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / Why Are These Things Happening Now?...just Wondering / The Good Things In Nigeria Are Done By Muslims: Sheik Gumi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jen33(m): 4:35am On May 08, 2007
Apartment blocks, Lagos (completed)

Adeniran Ogunsanya Shopping Center, Lagos (Proposed)

Apartment Blocks Lagos (completed)

Office Building, Lagos (Und Const)

Lima Place (Apartments) Lagos (completed)

Tima Tower (Apartments) Lagos (completed)

Victoria Court (Apartments) Lagos (completed)

Sapetro Tower, Lagos (completed)

Zenith Tower Lagos (completed)

Ocean Parade Towers (Apartments) (Und Const. Lagos)

Elf Petroleum Nigeria Ltd. Housing Estate, Lagos (Und Const)

Stone Gate Flats Lagos (Und Const)

Stone Gate Flats Lounge

Garki Ultra Modern Market Abuja (Completed)

Brick City Abuja (750 houses) (completed)

Sunshine Residence (Apartments) Lagos (awaiting approval)

NPDC Insurance Building Abuja (Und. Const)

Abuja Kings Town (4000 Residents) (Und Const)

Apartment complex Abuja (completed)

Cornerstone Apartments, Lagos (completed)

The President, Lagos (Apartments) (Und Const)

Sun Residences Lagos (Apartments) (completed)

MBA Tower Lagos (Apartments) (completed)

Shippers' Plaza Abuja (completed)

NITEL Building Kaduna (awaiting approval)

CBC Building Lagos (Und Const)

Enugu House Abuja (completed)

Lekki Hotel Lagos (Approved)

AJH Towers Lagos (Apartments) (completed)

Pinnacle Plaza, Abuja (Retail) (Und Const)
[img]http://216.92.243.207/elmansurgallery/_files/photogallery/pinnacle_plaza.jpg[/img]

Coscaris Center Abuja (Und Const)
[img]http://216.92.243.207/elmansurgallery/_files/photogallery/coscharis_centre_type_b.jpg[/img]

Arco House Abuja (Und Const)
[img]http://216.92.243.207/elmansurgallery/_files/photogallery/office_5.jpg[/img]

Fritt Hill Apartments Lagos (completed)

Cable Point Estate Lagos (Residential) (completed)

Shopping Center for Woolworths and Nakamichi, Lagos (proposed)

Buena Vista Estates Lagos (nearing completetion)

Nigerian Cultural Center Abuja

Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by adconline(m): 4:53am On May 08, 2007
shear imagination of a hopeless situation. this is how we want naija to look, but its very far from realistic pictures.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 5:04am On May 08, 2007
The complexes are nice, but the lack of maintenance would sully its beauty, down the road, if the government neglects it. Remember 1004 apartments in Lagos
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by dkoko4(m): 7:43am On May 08, 2007
dis no b d lagos i leave behind 8 yrs ago, nigeria is indeed on the up, nice pics jen33
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jen33(m): 1:07am On May 09, 2007
You're welcome.  cool
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by okoobo(m): 1:27am On May 09, 2007
Jen - u r the main man/woman as I dont know your sex.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by samsilo(m): 1:55am On May 09, 2007
We should not be too pessimistic ,there is a lot of poverty and suffering in Nigeria.At the same time please try and remember the 80's and early 90's when the country was at a total standstill.
Things are really happening in Nigeria,last weekend you should have seen the number of young Nigerian professionals who attended a career fair here in London held by companies looking to recruit experienced people to work in Nigeria.if these companies believed there was no hope they would not be looking to invest more money in Nigeria and the professionals would not be thinking of leaving well paid jobs in UK for Nigeria.
Things have been slow, but the changes we all have been praying for are gradually happening.It just needs further consolidation
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 6:09am On May 09, 2007
Ah yes, that timeless dream held by Nigerians in the diaspora to wing back to their glorious fatherland and help drag it into the technological age.

I would be a zillionaire if I had a dime for every time a US or UK-resident Nigerian returned home to try and make a new start only to flee back to the West after (Take your pick ) (1) being attacked  by armed robbers the evening of arrival and the cops never showing up or (2)  being robbed by "policemen" in uniform on the way home from the airport, or  (3) finding it impossible to live in a country with neither grid electricity nor running water, or (4) throwing in the towel after having to part with bribes for every mundane life activity save for breathing the heavily polluted city air, or (5) being unable to travel anywhere between dusk and dawn to avoid being devoured by bandits or moon-cratered roads.

Please continue the montage of hallucinatory pictures, Jen33, for those in the know find the show immensely amusing, secure in the knowledge that the wondrous buildings in that slide-show, whether real or computer generated, will have deteriorated into weather-beaten refuges for rodents, snakes and lizards in a decade or less, as the traditional zero- maintenance culture takes its toll.  All those film-set facades amount to NOTHING WHATSOEVER in a country where the BASIC pre-requisites of civilized human habitation continue to exist only in pre-election campaign promises of potbellied embezzlers-in-waiting. 

Hmmm, I wonder how many MONTHS the photographer had to patiently wait in order to acquire a picture of the Lagos skyline momentarily illuminated with electrical lights.  Must have been a vigil akin to glimpsing the Loch Ness Monster.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by angel101(f): 11:59am On May 09, 2007
the truth my dear jen33 as they say is bitter. like others have said, u can only hope to impress ur yankee friends with ur pics.
can u tell me pls how many nigerians can even afford to be around such environments much less actually live in or enjoy them. the earlier we begin to face reality and taclke it head on in this country the better for us. fantasizing will get us absolutely no where.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jen33(m): 4:03pm On May 09, 2007
The truth, my dear Angel, is that your asss is sitting in London speaking grammar, while your mates are in Nigeria cleaning up.

I know several young guys and girls who left secondary school
less than three/four years ago and are now running profitable enterprises in Nigeria that the banks are backing to the tune of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

The economy is booming. Construction is booming. The banks have BILLIONS OF DOLLARS now, and are backing all sorts of projects.

Stay there in London and be receiving salary and talking bollocks.

By the time you know wassup, your mates have set up waterfront mansions to live in while you wallow in second-class anonymity in the London cold. cool

Apartment Block Lagos (completed)

Cooper Road Flats Lagos (completed)

Standard Chartered Bank Lagos (Approved)

Ikoyi Hotel (New) (Und Const)

Hotel Bauchi (recently completed)

Abuja Palace Hotel (Und Const)

Commercial Development Port Harcourt (Und Const)
[img]http://www.abrucharchitects.com/resources/PB_COM5_Genesis+Mall-Main.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.abrucharchitects.com/resources/PG-RUCH+HT-2.jpg[/img]

Michael Okpara University of Agriculture (Block G) Umuahia, Abia State (Und Const)

Grand Sq. Commercial Development Abuja (Und Const)
[img]http://www.abrucharchitects.com/resources/PG-RUCH+COM-1.jpg[/img]

Ocean Bay Condominiums Lagos (Approved)

Maryland Flats Lagos (Approved) (Maryland Lagos)

Apartments Abuja (Approved)

Legal Towers, Lagos (Approved)

Legal Towers, Victoria Island, Lagos. This residential estate will offer an exclusive residential enclave in a prenium Victoria Island location. To be built on a site ajacent to the Lagos Law School, the estate will consist of 30 luxurious apartments each with its own service quarters, swimming pool, well designed gardens and lawns, and a club house with a bar and gym.

Apartment Block (Port Harcourt) (Completed)

Jersey Estate Port Harcourt (Residential) (Und Const)

Current State of progress

Hotel Development, Port Harcourt (Approved)

Hotel Development, Port Harcourt. International  five star Hotel to be strategically located on an 8000 sq. metre site in GRA, Port Harcourt. This ultra-modern Hotel will contain 100 luxurious bedrooms and suites, restaurants and lounges that cater to international tastes with a tropical flair, conference facilities, shops, a business centre, and onsite parking.

Heritage City Theme Park Abuja (Und Const)

Office Block Lagos (recently completed)

Rebecca Court Lagos (Apartments) (Und Const)
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by GNature(m): 4:20pm On May 09, 2007
Those are elegant pictures.

The western media always portrays us (africans) as poverty ridden people. Your pictures show that we also have high brow areas in our country.

Its nice seeing Nigeria depicted in a positive light.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Ikomi(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2007
Jen 33

Am dead sure my country is destined for greatness. But a beg how much govt. pay u. angry

How i go get my share.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by JustGood(m): 4:31pm On May 09, 2007
That stonegate tower just be like sighthill. abeg o
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jen33(m): 4:51pm On May 09, 2007
Ikomi, I'm just an ordinary Naija man with no ties to any govt agency or individual.

The problem with some diaspora Nigerians is that they seem to feel a need to justify their escape by continually running down the country. But the reality actually speaks of substantial progress by the OBJ administration in many areas.

Right now an unprecedented 13 power plants are being constructed in the country, after efforts at refurbishing the existing ones failed to increase output owing to the gross neglect, and theft of equipment they suffered under previous military regimes.

95% of the power plants we have now were built in the 1970s. Only one or two were built since then.

Shagari, Babangida, Abacha, Shonekan, Abdulsalami built just ONE power plant between them.

Now OBJ is building 13 at a go with three to be commissioned this week.

That constitutes massive progress, the manifestation of which will be felt after OBJ  has left office.

All this coming alongside a construction boom and expansion in banking, plus $55 billion dollars in reserves, and our now eliminated debt burden.

The $25 billion national railway network project signed with China and South Korea will lead to a revolution in the transport sector, and drive costs of basic goods (especially food) down.

The main reason for high prices of food is the transportation expense and difficulties of shifting products from farm to distant markets. The rail network will offer a cheap fast and effective movement of people and goods across the country. This will encourage even more entrepreneurship in areas such as agriculture and trade.

The incoming Yaradua administration has pledged to continue with OBJ's work, and retain most of his staff, and that is very inspiring news to the new Nigeria.

A Nigeria with its sleeves rolled up, and unmistakeably on the move.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by oshkosh(m): 5:42pm On May 09, 2007
I'm extremely optimistic about our future as a nation. The future is bright. Hate OBJ, but he has certainly achieved more than almost all the past Presidents put together. In fact, I believe that the state governors where/are the weakest link in leadership and the clog in the wheel of our progress.

In spite of the obvious problem with curruption particularly at the governorship level, the Presidency has laid the foundation for sustainable growth and a better tomorrow.

The foundation of the house is the least appreciated and admired, yet the most important structure in any building.

Posterity will surely be kind to OBJ for his contributions,  and vision.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by watchung: 2:53am On May 10, 2007
Jen33's not working for the Govt. those pics are all on www.skyscrapercity.com in the Africa section. Nigerians, better stop waiting for the government to do every thing for you. We have to take our destinies in our own hands. Look at the garbage on the streets for example, simple logic tells me and others with common sense that if we throw garbage on the road it keeps on piling up and eventually becomes a mountain of rubbish. Pick the garbage up and clean the streets where you live. Just look at Calabar. Very neat and clean. The garbage is picked up and the streets are clean. Paint your house every few years and the difference would be clear, even Ajengunle could look good if cleaned up. LOL

I think we are heading in the right direction, and even if we as citizens have a beef with the Govt. we need to start with the local government, then state governments just as that Nigerian saying "charity begins at home" and that applies especially to the Niger Deltans. Their beef should be with their state govts first. what are those governors doing with all the billions of dollars? they get more money than Duke in Cross River and (pardon my French) can't do shit for their people. Really pisses me off.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by IykeD1(m): 5:09am On May 10, 2007
@jen33

Even if you were working for the government, you have done a pretty damn good job of it! Your last
post re-echoes the point I have been making on this forum each time I get, and that is OBJ for all his
shortcomings has done much to move Nigeria ahead. One thing has emerged within the past 8 years
and that is the recognition that the nation's development will be fast tracked when government truly
partners with the private sector. The private sector is forging ahead and I believe it accounts for the
majority of the images that you have posted here. But somehow, some people are blaming that on
OBJ!

One sure gauge people can use to measure the growing confidence that foreign investors are having
in our economy is the amount of direct investment pouring in from overseas in the last few years. Its
steadily on the increase inspite of the fact that the Niger Delta militant activities are front page stories
every day. The amount of funds being sourced from the capital market in the forms of public offers or
IPOs within the past 3 years is almost imaginable for Nigeria. A lot of these are possible because of the
on-going reforms.

We are not there yet, but as the title of this topic suggests: good things are happening in Nigeria. We
must pause to celebrate or at least acknowledge them, while demanding for more accountability and for
a better governance. No one can honestly tell me with a straight face that Nigeria will not be changed
forever when all those power plants and rail systems are operational. Its okay to knock Obasanjo for
not pin pointing those problems earlier and getting them started on time, but at least give him credit for
initiating them and leaving the country on a firmer financial position to get them completed.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:32am On May 10, 2007
Does everybody knows that all those building are 24-7 on generator?
Survival in Nigeria nowadays is not possible without generators.
Have you seen Zimbabwe in pictures and we know the reality on ground go and check Sights of Zimbabwe and you would think you are in paradise but go there and see the people and you would know that actually hell is around the corner.
A country or an economy is not judged by pictures but by the living conditions of the populace. No electricity, No Security, Niger-Delta at its best but we have nice pictures

So what is good things happening when the basics of life like electricity, good water and security are lacking?
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by GNature(m): 7:40am On May 10, 2007
@dayokanu

The govt is working on the electricity problem. Yes, OBJ did not embark on building the power stations he is building now right from 1999, which is a flaw of his administration, but the government is hoping to generate 10,000 MW of electrcity by December 2008.

We are not there yet, but by God's grace, we will get there.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 8:59am On May 10, 2007
I am an optimist, but the stories I read about Naija is not that encouraging. We have been stagnant for decades now. It is even embarrasing. I spoke with my friend back home, not too long ago. He was complaining of gas prices, I think he said it is 75 Naira a litre. It's gotten so worse that he has temprarily abandoned his car for other services. Tell, me, how can one be optimistic, when you read stories of countries like Saudi Arabia where gas is less than 50 cents? What happened to oil subsidy that alleviated the masses in Nigeria?

Building nice houses, erecting imposing and 'magnificient' edifices, is an attempt to gloss over the problems afflicting us. If the govt does not devote attention to gas prices, the common man, farm products will rise, on account of expensive transportation, and even those, living in those ritzy houses, would be forced to sustain their lifestyle elsewhere. Tell me, what's the percentage of people who can afford to live in these ritzy buildings?

What happened to bursary awards back home to students? What happened to Federal govt colleges? I am sorely disappointed in the regimes of Nigeria, and this is coming from a guy, who holds fond memories of his days back home.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by angel101(f): 9:22am On May 10, 2007
Jen33:

The truth, my dear Angel, is that your asss is sitting in London speaking grammar, while your mates are in Nigeria cleaning up.

I know several young guys and girls who left secondary school
less than three/four years ago and are now running profitable enterprises in Nigeria that the banks are backing to the tune of MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

The economy is booming. Construction is booming. The banks have BILLIONS OF DOLLARS now, and are backing all sorts of projects.

Stay there in London and be receiving salary and talking bollocks.

By the time you know wassup, your mates have set up waterfront mansions to live in while you wallow in second-class anonymity in the London cold. cool

u truly amuse me. Listen there is no need to get personal about it. like i said before, the truth is bitter. so u know people who are being financed by the banks to run million dollar businesses. fair enough but can u tell me what percentage of the nigerian population that represents.
what is the GDP of nigeria? the fact that u happen to know a few people who are doing well does not automatically mean that the economy is booming. and sorry to dissappoint u but i do not live in second class anonimity anywhere in the world. i thank God that i am very comfortable and have no reason to complain about my personal life. but that does not make the suffering nigerians are unjustly forced to endure ok.
no doubt there is a construction boom which is not beign supported by the necessary infrastructure. have u seen the traffic on lekki road?
u say obj is building 13 power stations and i am meant to clap for him. where has he been the last 8 years. what happened to the promise of 100% efficient power supply by 2001? give me a break my friend.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by angel101(f): 9:32am On May 10, 2007
water front mansions where they will have to provide their own security, generate their own power and provide their own water, ?
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:44am On May 10, 2007
GNature:

@dayokanu

The govt is working on the electricity problem. Yes, OBJ did not embark on building the power stations he is building now right from 1999, which is a flaw of his administration, but the government is hoping to generate 10,000 MW of electrcity by December 2008.

obasanjo intentionally ignored the power sector and the refineries for the 8 years he has been in power so as to give underhand and diabolical patronage to the oligarchs who installed him in power. when he had less than a year left to spend he deemed it fit to bulid more power plants and issue licenses for private refineries.

all through his regime he increased the price of fuel arbitrarily, he drove inflation through the roof and permanently reduced the spending power of the man in the street. OBJ doesnt give a sh*t about the average nigerian, hence they have poured money into all those architectural models and fancy highrise blocks where the rich live with their families. they even pay rent in dollars!

nigeria [has] few isolated peaks of stupendous opulence in an ocean of abysmal poverty---  david-west
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:45am On May 10, 2007
I don't think the government should be controlling the price of fuel in the first place. Apart from that, I agree.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Mariory(m): 12:29pm On May 10, 2007
ziddy:

OBJ doesnt give a sh*t about the average nigerian, hence they have poured money into all those architectural models and fancy highrise blocks where the rich live with their families. they even pay rent in dollars!

That is a retarded argument as most of those buildings are private sector investments/projects.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:37pm On May 10, 2007
Hmmm.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by GNature(m): 1:56pm On May 10, 2007
ziddy:

obasanjo intentionally ignored the power sector and the refineries for the 8 years he has been in power

@ziddy, Obasanjo's handling of the power sector has been less than perfect, no doubt, but saying he intentionally ignored the sector for the reason you stated is completely irrational.

Infact, your contention that he ignored the power sector is completely flawed because power generation has increased by over 100% under his administration.

The problem is that, OBJ's govt initially underestimated the demand for electricity. It thought that by increasing power generation from 1900 MW in 1999 to 4000 MW by 2001 (i.e. double what was currently being generated), the problem would decimate, but it didn't because the demand for electricity in Nigeria is in the neighboorhood of 10,000 MW - 15,000 MW (some even say 20,000 MW).

In addition, OBJ thought the deregulation of the power sector would make private investors come and build power stations. Licenses were issued to many private investors, but they have not been able to deliver. Hence the need for the govt to intervene by building more power stations.

One thing I can't stand is when people just make blatant accusations without having a good understanding of the underlying problem. We should stop stating our opinions as fact. We should also not let emotion and sentiment cloud our reasoning. As far as the power sector is concerned, the only thing OBJ is guilty of is not paying more attention to power generation right from 1999.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by oshkosh(m): 2:16pm On May 10, 2007
One thing I hate is when people just make blatant accusations without having a good understanding of the underlying problem

This is the bane of our people. Those that are not promoting gossip as fact are busy concocting tales in support of their weak arguments.  I don't hold brief for OBJ, but I believe he is one of the most patriotic leaders our country has ever had.

He under-achieved with power sector reforms, but we are now gaining momemtun in the drive to build capacity in that sector. That capacity will come for sure, and in time, perhaps OBJ will be remembered in Nigeria as Lee Kuan Yew is in Singapore, as the architect of our enduring prosperity.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by omoge(f): 2:42pm On May 10, 2007
I'm glad about those apartments. housing is a big problem to many places in nigeria. i hope many will be able to rent, and pay faithfully. this is where the money for maintenance comes in.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Bankole01(m): 3:24pm On May 10, 2007
omoge:

I'm glad about those apartments. housing is a big problem to many places in nigeria. i hope many will be able to rent, and pay faithfully. this is where the money for maintenance comes in.

I would hate to rent a top floor aprtment in any of these buildings, just climbing the stairs in an atmosphere where ther is no ppower to run the elevators or when they break down because of poor maintenace. The silver lining side is you will become an lympic stair climber!!!! yunk yunk yunk woo woo woo!!!!!!

Give us a break. Download pictures of the real Nigeria with crumbled roads, no power, no water, what about lighteee, foodee, houseee. who no know go sabi
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by angel101(f): 3:42pm On May 10, 2007
omoge:

if only the average nigerian would be able to afford it, your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Good Things Happening In Nigeria by Jen33(m): 6:11pm On May 10, 2007
A survey of world economies will reveal that any economic expansion begins with the empowerment of the middle classes. The wealth generated by these classes is used to develop small scale businesses that employ the masses.

Small scale businesses are the pillar on which developed economies stand.

India is experiencing an economic boom, with similar structures/luxury apartments springing up.

These are not being snapped up by ''the average Indian'', who lives in poverty often worse than the average Nigerian - but by the Indian middle classes.

In the era the UK was constructing the Wembley Stadiums, the Buckingham Palaces, the Houses of Parliament etc etc the vast majority of Brits lived in penury.

TEN people sharing a room in London was very common, and according to a leading journalist of the period, the majority of urban dwellers lived in accomodation ''unfit for animals''.

But as the middle classes got wealthier and expanded, they built shops, factories, and a thousand and one business concerns that employed and trained ''commoners'', and as competition for the best ''commoners'' increased, so also did their salaries, benefits, and training etc grow.

With the taxes paid by the ever growing middle classes, the state was able to develop infrastructure across the board, housing and basic amenities began to be provided to the increasingly demanding, better paid and educated ''commoners'' till the point the UK is at today where commoner and lord are barely distinguishable.

I don't see anyway it can work differently in Nigeria.

If the present economic boom, the construction boom etc persist for the next ten, twenty years, thirty years etc, it is inevitable that the prices of such apartments etc would fall within the reach of a wider majority.

If ever there was a truism, Rome wasn't built in a day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ambode & Tinubu Commission Mile 12-Ikorodu BRT Extention & New BRT Buses / Harvard University Denies Dino Melaye Ever Studied There, Only Attended Seminar / APC To Release Documentary On Alleged Gay Sex In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.