Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! (65269 Views)

German-based Nigerian Man Reveals Survival On Expired Supermarket Scraps / Canada Survival Tips For International Students / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by masco131(m): 6:55pm On Nov 07, 2019
Joan011:

Totally agree, turkey layover is like death sentence.
You even got a nice meal, the one I got from naija to turkey was smelling, almost made me throw up.
Mehnn it's sad and these airlines other flight are always good.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by alao1981: 7:18am On Nov 09, 2019
edkai:
Questions keep popping into my head as the date of my arrival in Australia gets closer. I'm feeling unprepared in terms of being armed with enough information.

I checked the accommodation link that WestAfrican sent. I kept on seeing the term "Bond". I wonder what that means.

Also, for someone who is going to be schooling in Wollongong but intends to stay and work in Sydney, which part of Sydney should such a person rent an apartment so as to ensure more proximity to Wollongong.

Again based on experience, what kind of accommodation would you advise those of us who are coming over to arrange for as students and what type should we avoid? We need your opinions on this our senior brothers and sisters.

Are there any other inherent procedural challenges with securing accommodation that we need to be aware of especially as new comers and how do we overcome them if any?

Hello. Is it possible to get in contact with you? I want to check how this eventually panned out. I am considering accepting an offer from Wollongong with plan to also live in Sydney. Will appreciate thoughts. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 5:33am On Nov 28, 2019
Good evening all, This is about rent and accommodation.

For some days now, I've been thinking about rent and the excessive amount most of us pay including myself all in the name of renting a room.

An idea then popped into my head, what if you can gather friends and rent an apartment on your own, you can get your own private bathroom In that way, you not only save yourself the wahala of some housemates or landlord. You also pay cheaper rent since you know how much you'd pay in a week, month and so in.

At the moment I pay $150 per week which I still consider expensive.
Anyway the purpose of my writeup grin is to say if you need a cheap place to stay and wouldn't mind sharing an apartment with my humble self. Where I'll make sure you don't pay more than $150 in a week. Let me know

P. S You have to be in Victoria though, It's mainly for Deakin University students although anyone is welcomed.

Check how much you'd pay rent after dividing that number by 2 cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2019
Joan011:
Good evening all, This is about rent and accommodation.

At the moment I pay $150 per week which I still consider expensive.
Anyway the purpose of my writeup grin is to say if you need a cheap place to stay and wouldn't mind sharing an apartment with my humble self. Where I'll make sure you don't pay more than $150 in a week. Let me know

P. S You have to be in Victoria though, It's mainly for Deakin University students although anyone is welcomed.

Check how much you'd pay rent after dividing that number by 2 cheesy
What's your average income in Victoria for students to pay that amount of rent?
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 1:18am On Nov 29, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

What's your average income in Victoria for students to pay that amount of rent?

First and foremost, I can't tell you that and then again, people who live here would agree with me that my rent is cheap even though it's not the cheapest.

International students are Australia's cash cow, people pay twice of what I pay a week in the so called student houses and some other places undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by edkai: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2019
alao1981:
Hello. Is it possible to get in contact with you? I want to check how this eventually panned out. I am considering accepting an offer from Wollongong with plan to also live in Sydney. Will appreciate thoughts. Thanks
Yes bro. Sorry I'm replying late. I've been having exams.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by edkai: 7:34am On Dec 12, 2019
Joan011:

First and foremost, I can't tell you that and then again, people who live here would agree with me that my rent is cheap even though it's not the cheapest.

International students are Australia's cash cow, people pay twice of what I pay a week in the so called student houses and some other places undecided
She is spot on..believe her.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by edkai: 7:37am On Dec 12, 2019
Joan is right...and I love the idea. It's what the Chinese and Indian students do to cut cost. I wish I was in Victoria...would have loved to take this offer.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2019
edkai:
She is spot on..believe her.

Thanks jare. It pains my heart that we suffer this way even though there are jobs. undecided

Though some people throw the help you give them in the dustbin.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2019
If I haven't replied to your email. Am so sorry.

Been super busy with my loads of research and Co..... Please re-send them and I'll try my best to answer

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Smile4mee01: 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2019
Thank you Joan.

Please I will be resuming in Latrobe for my MSC in Feb.

Kindly help me with insights into how I can get accomodation and Job.

Also hint me on any skill you would reckon in acquire before getting on the plane.

Thank u.

Joan011:
If I haven't replied to your email. Am so sorry.

Been super busy with my loads of research and Co..... Please re-send them and I'll try my best to answer
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 3:45am On Dec 13, 2019
Smile4mee01:
Thank you Joan.

Please I will be resuming in Latrobe for my MSC in Feb.

Kindly help me with insights into how I can get accomodation and Job.

Also hint me on any skill you would reckon in acquire before getting on the plane.

Thank u.

If you can get a disability certificate.... You would be more than okay cos it's an mmm grin.
Bring your driver's license, it's only valid for 6 months though. You can convert it to Victoria's driving license.

Download Airtasker there are loads of job there... You can use that pending when you get a real job

As for accommodation, there are two ways about it
1. Get a room that the rent is Not more than $150 per week
2. Rent an apartment with 3 or more than bedrooms (the more bedrooms and fewer bathrooms it has the less it cost), make sure when you divide the rent each of you don't pay more than 150.
Here's the spoiler. Depending on the type of people you get, increase the house rent of others to include what you'd pay for bills and you're good.

Before you start telling me am selfish, land here first undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Silentthinker(f): 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2019
Compliment of d season everyone
Please I'm in a state of dilemma,which should i settle for between these schools. University of new England, Queen's land university of technology, curtin uni, Edith Cowan and monash.
Please I'm considering availability of jobs and d cost of living.Thanks all
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 22, 2019
Silentthinker:
Compliment of d season everyone
Please I'm in a state of dilemma,which should i settle for between these schools. University of new England, Queen's land university of technology, curtin uni, Edith Cowan and monash.
Please I'm considering availability of jobs and d cost of living.Thanks all

Also consider location that can fetch you immigration point also i.e studying in regional area. Try University of Newcastle ; Regional area, jobs availability and so many Nigerian students who can help you navigate your way. I once lived there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Silentthinker(f): 9:18am On Dec 22, 2019
[quote author=malmo post=85119599]

Also consider location that can fetch you immigration point also i.e studying in regional area. Try University of Newcastle ; Regional area, jobs availability and so many Nigerian students who can help you navigate your way. I once lived there.[/quote

University of Newcastle doesn't have d course I'm going for.I appreciate ur prompt response.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 2:31am On Dec 25, 2019
Rent in regional areas are very cheap compared to the city.
Someone I know pays $70 per week as rent in Newcastle, while I pay higher in Burwood.

Jobs:
I can't say for certain if non-regional areas have more jobs than regional areas. Although Population can be a discerning factor.

Cost of Living.
Know your stomach, budget your feeding in a month and try to cut down on unnecessary expenses. Bring lots of food from Naija so that you won't spend on feeding for more than 6 months.
Don't get addicted to brioche loaf like me cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Solitin40: 3:26am On Dec 25, 2019
Joan011:
Rent in regional areas are very cheap compared to the city.
Someone I know pays $70 per week as rent in Newcastle, while I pay higher in Burwood.

Jobs:
I can't say for certain if non-regional areas have more jobs than regional areas. Although Population can be a discerning factor.

Cost of Living.
Know your stomach, budget your feeding in a month and try to cut down on unnecessary expenses. Bring lots of food from Naija so that you won't spend on feeding for more than 6 months.
Don't get addicted to brioche loaf like me cry
$70 in Newcastle embarassed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 4:55am On Dec 25, 2019
Solitin40:

Yes ohhh, and she's an RN.... She pays half of my monthly rent in a month. She wanted to price it down to $50 per week, Can you imagine. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by WestAfrican: 6:33am On Dec 25, 2019

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 8:57am On Dec 25, 2019
WestAfrican:
New rental reforms from March 2020.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/sweeping-rental-reforms-to-have-significant-impact-on-tenants-and-landlords/?rsf=ps%3Afacebook%3Anews%3Answ%3Arent

This is a good one.
People in NSW please read and understand, it can come in handy when you have someone anointed by the devil as your landlord

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 26, 2019
Solitin40:

Right. I know people staying in shared house with internet $70 in Newcastle.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Smile4mee01: 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2019
@ Joan : Please i got some one advising me on another fora , that studying MSC. Finance would not help my quest for PR.

Could you she more light pls..
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Joan011: 2:15am On Dec 27, 2019
Smile4mee01:
@ Joan : Please i got some one advising me on another fora , that studying MSC. Finance would not help my quest for PR.

Studying Finance can get you PR although there aren't many jobs in that field.

Solitin40 please your insights are needed here
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by bligs: 5:53am On Dec 27, 2019
Smile4mee01:

The only thing Finance will get you is two years post study work visa and not PR because is not on the skillselect list.
You can go ahead if and only if your Bsc is on the skillselect list, closely related with finance and also sure of getting a positive assessment with it otherwise change your course after your first semester.
Note: Financial Manager is totally different from Finance as degree certificate.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by obainojazz(m): 7:57am On Dec 27, 2019
bligs:

The only thing Finance will get you is two years post study work visa and not PR because is not on the skillselect list.
You can go ahead if and only if your Bsc is on the skillselect list, closely related with finance and also sure of getting a positive assessment with it otherwise change your course after your first semester.
Note: Financial Manager is totally different from Finance as degree certificate.
can't he nominate accounting... I thought Accounting is on the list.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Solitin40: 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2019
Joan011:

Studying Finance can get you PR although there aren't many jobs in that field.

Solitin40 please your insights are needed here
Use this link to search for occupations on the list

https://www.anzscosearch.com/search/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Solitin40: 2:01pm On Dec 27, 2019
Smile4mee01:

There is still demand from the Australian Immigration 2020 program for Chartered Financial and Management Accountants.

It’s not an easy process and the Accountant Occupation Code has been repeatedly flagged for removal from the Skilled Occupations List.

The Accounting Immigration 2020 codes are red flagged for removal due to myriad contributing factors:

Competition is high for Accountants moving to Australia under any of the Permanent Residency Immigration Visas.

Combine this with a recent strong accounting immigration program over the past few years, as well as a slight drop in domestic demand and the reasons for the Accountant 2020 Red Flag become evident.

It is difficult to state with any degree of certainty how long the Accountant Code will remain on the Skilled Occupations List

http://www.letsgo-global.com/migration-blog/accounting-immigration-2017/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Beautiful Places Around The World(Photos) / A Day Out At La Campagne Tropicana Beach Resort, Ibeju-Lekki / See What This Foreign Photographer Said She Saw On A Train From LAGOS To KANO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.