Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,188 members, 7,780,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:13 PM

Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! (64885 Views)

German-based Nigerian Man Reveals Survival On Expired Supermarket Scraps / Canada Survival Tips For International Students / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by hustla(m): 6:22am On Dec 28, 2019
malmo:

Also consider location that can fetch you immigration point also i.e studying in regional area. Try University of Newcastle ; Regional area, jobs availability and so many Nigerian students who can help you navigate your way. I once lived there.

Bro
Is Queensland regional too and can help you towards getting those points?
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by hustla(m): 6:33am On Dec 28, 2019
chukzyfcbb:

You are even considerate, 4m is nearly impossible sef, lol

stretch that amount to 7- 15m and that's reality with Australian schools

Una dey lie for this app Sha
4.5m - 5m will fix admission stuff

Of course you'll have to pay for flight later and some extra for settling down in
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by bligs: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2019
hustla:

Una dey lie for this app Sha
4.5m - 5m will fix admission stuff

Of course you'll have to pay for flight later and some extra for settling down in
The figure you quoted depends on school as well as program, that amount will barely pay for just a semester for Msc in University like RMIT, Deakin etc and more than that in Uni Melbourne, UNN and University of Sydney; however, there are some schools with lesser pay such as Flinders, Federation, Victoria Uni but require many documents to satisfy GTE.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by hustla(m): 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2019
bligs:

The figure you quoted depends on school as well as program, that amount will barely pay for just a semester for Msc in University like RMIT, Deakin etc and more than that in Uni Melbourne, UNN and University of Sydney; however, there are some schools with lesser pay such as Flinders, Federation, Victoria Uni but require many documents to satisfy GTE.

True Sha
It's school dependent.
That rmit school fees no be here o
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by hustla(m): 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2019
bligs:

Bro, can I send you a DM via email?

Need to ask some questions

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by kenyd(m): 2:04am On Dec 29, 2019
Please guys, around how much will i budget for OSH after paying my tuition deposit
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Solitin40: 4:32am On Dec 29, 2019
kenyd:
Please guys, around how much will i budget for OSH after paying my tuition deposit
https://oshcaustralia.com.au/en
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Smile4mee01: 2:15pm On Jan 01, 2020
Happy New Year Joan....

Is this accomodation offer open for male, Feb 2020. ?

Joan011:
Good evening all, This is about rent and accommodation.

For some days now, I've been thinking about rent and the excessive amount most of us pay including myself all in the name of renting a room.

An idea then popped into my head, what if you can gather friends and rent an apartment on your own, you can get your own private bathroom In that way, you not only save yourself the wahala of some housemates or landlord. You also pay cheaper rent since you know how much you'd pay in a week, month and so in.

At the moment I pay $150 per week which I still consider expensive.
Anyway the purpose of my writeup grin is to say if you need a cheap place to stay and wouldn't mind sharing an apartment with my humble self. Where I'll make sure you don't pay more than $150 in a week. Let me know

P. S You have to be in Victoria though, It's mainly for Deakin University students although anyone is welcomed.

Check how much you'd pay rent after dividing that number by 2 cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by ignis: 7:30am On Jan 10, 2020
Joan011:
Don't go about spending the nice Aussie Dollars you get aftrmer conversion cos you'll need every bit of it.
I got a room for $150 per week, private room which is kinda big and very cheap in my opinion.

I don't visit African shops cos things are kinda expensive there. I stick to my rice, veggies and fruits but for those who are Nigeria food patriots well be prepared to spend some $$.

Please and Please make sure your International Drivers License is with you when you land here. As a student you can use it for the entire duration of your studies.

Please how can one obtain international driver's license ?
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Silentthinker(f): 7:58pm On Jan 21, 2020
Also consider location that can fetch you immigration point also i.e studying in regional area. Try University of Newcastle ; Regional area, jobs availability and so many Nigerian students who can help you navigate your way. I once lived there.

Hello,
please can u help secure admission in the university of Newcastle.Master of nursing (2yrs).will pm u,thanks .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Silentthinker(f): 8:04am On Jan 24, 2020
Joan011:

Hello Joan,can u help me secure admission into university of Newcastle or WSU for MSC nursing(2 yrs).I have the required documents. PFL in portharcort is a failure.
Again I don't know if my uncle's company SOA will fly for the application. Thanks and God bless

Yes ohhh, and she's an RN.... She pays half of my monthly rent in a month. She wanted to price it down to $50 per week, Can you imagine. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 12:19am On Feb 01, 2020
Good morning all, I've been away from sometime now due to school stuff and getting ready for placements.
How ya'll doing ? Australia wants to evaporate me 43 degress.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 12:36am On Feb 01, 2020
ACCOMMODATION:

Steps in getting your own apartment as a student/ whatever class visa you're in.

1. Try to get to know who else is traveling to the country at the same time that you're in or you can get a 3 month lease for a single room pending when you can get people
2. Search on domaindotcomdotau for 3 and upwards bedroom apartment(living in the city is expensive compared to other suburbs).
3. Get the house and pay the bond(all 3 or whatever number you guys are would pull resources together and pay the money, make sure each ones name is on the lease)
4. Most times the apartment you get are unfurnished...Search on facebook market for cheap items. Use the Airtasker app to get a driver who's going to pick up your items and send it to your new house (it is pay after service on the app so be rest assured your properties are in safe hands).
5. Don't be in a hurry to make it look like the Queen's palace, slow and steady. Get the most important things you need first.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 12:38am On Feb 01, 2020
Please note, the above isn't for Nigerians that have the mentality of not wanting to live with the people who are blacks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 12:51am On Feb 01, 2020
GETTING A JOB

Some people think that when you get to Australia a job is waiting for you. that isn't the case at all. While there are jobs here it depends on your state of mind to start from a small place before climbing the ladder although some people have special grace, where its straight to the top from nothing.

1. Alienate yourself from people who aren't ready to help you but smile at your faces and pretend they are your friends (I've see seen a lot here, not everyone you call your sister/brother from home wants to see you succeed, although there are still the Godsent among them) Use your discretion wisely.

2. Download the Airtasker app, you can use it to earn some money pending when you get a real job.

3. First things first, GO AND GET YOUR FIRST AID, CPR, POLICE CHECK AND WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK. Also have your driver's license at hand.
First Aid and Cpr cert goes for $75(They're gotten together).
Police check is approx. $50
WWCC is $126.50

4. You can apply for disability jobs with those certs mentioned without doing the disability course( You better believe me, I know what am talking about).

5. Above all Pray to God to guide and direct you.

P.S Am in Victoria( things might not be the same as other states but there is no harm in trying)

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 12:55am On Feb 01, 2020
FEEDING & OTHERS

1. Bring all you can from Naija even if you'd pay for extra luggage.
2. For those in Victoria places like Sunshine, Noble Park sell African foodstuff. You can also get some from indian shops.

Clothing: Please bring from Naija, a very good clothe is expensive here (I mean work clothes), not talking about kmart same applies to other things you wear on your body.

Will update later. Make I reach Berwick to chop better jare. grin grin grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by masco131(m): 1:02am On Feb 01, 2020
AussieJoan:
FEEDING & OTHERS

2. For those in Victoria places like Sunshine, Noble Park sell African foodstuff. You can also get some from indian shops.

Clothing: Please bring from Naija, a very good clothe is expensive here (I mean work clothes), not talking about kmart same applies to other things you wear on your body.

Will update later. Make I reach Berwick to chop better jare. grin grin grin grin grin
That Kmart got me rolling grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 1:05am On Feb 01, 2020
masco131:

That Kmart got me rolling grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Viola2017: 8:46am On Feb 01, 2020
AussieJoan:
GETTING A JOB

Some people think that when you get to Australia a job is waiting for you. that isn't the case at all. While there are jobs here it depends on your state of mind to start from a small place before climbing the ladder although some people have special grace, where its straight to the top from nothing.

1. Alienate yourself from people who aren't ready to help you but smile at your faces and pretend they are your friends (I've see seen a lot here, not everyone you call your sister/brother from home wants to see you succeed, although there are still the Godsent among them) Use your discretion wisely.

2. Downloaad the Airtasker app, you can use it to earn some money pending when you get a real job.

3. First things first, GO AND GET YOUR FIRST AID, CPR, POLICE CHECK AND WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK. Also have your driver's license at hand.

4. You can apply for disability jobs with those certs mentioned doing the disability course( You better believe me, I know what am talking about).

5. Above all Pray to God to guide and direct you.

P.S Am in Victoria( things might not be the same as other states but there is no harm in trying)
Hi dear. Thanks for the detailed information. However do you mean getting ANY of those cert can get one a job in disability. Moreso, how long does it take and you much is it in your area.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 8:52am On Feb 01, 2020
Viola2017:

Hi dear. Thanks for the detailed information. However do you mean getting ANY of those cert can get one a job in disability. Moreso, how long does it take and you much is it in your area.

Let me update the post to include that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by KingCurtis21: 9:45am On Feb 01, 2020
AussieJoan:

Let me update the post to include that.

1: How much does disability jobs pays?

2: Are undergraduate exams Multiple choice answer (OBJ) or theory (essay)

Thank for your feedback..
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 10:01am On Feb 01, 2020
KingCurtis21:

1: How much does disability jobs pays?

2: Are undergraduate exams Multiple choice answer (OBJ) or theory (essay)

Thank for your feedback..

Disability jobs pay well enough to earn money for tuition fee, rent and others. I can't give you a specific amount cos it varies with the agencies.
You don't need to write any exam, the agency will definitely train you and also if you're lucky enough you get paid for the training.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 10:02am On Feb 01, 2020
Who's coming to Victoria this February please let me know before Tuesday, thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 10:50am On Feb 01, 2020
Viola2017:

One can get a job in disability just y having those certs in hand. I personally know people doing it and that is the path am on. You can get all those cert in one day

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by KingCurtis21: 1:53pm On Feb 01, 2020
AussieJoan:

Disability jobs pay well enough to earn money for tuition fee, rent and others. I can't give you a specific amount cos it varies with the agencies.
You don't need to write any exam, the agency will definitely train you and also if you're lucky enough you get paid for the training.

Thank but you got my number two question wrong.. I was asking if university exams (undergraduate degree) are multiple choice (OBJ) or theory (essay).. my guy in Canada told me that exams there’re in multiple choice..
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 2:05pm On Feb 01, 2020
KingCurtis21:

Thank but you got my number two question wrong.. I was asking if university exams (undergraduate degree) are multiple choice (OBJ) or theory (essay).. my guy in Canada told me that exams there’re in multiple choice..

Sorry, didn't know you were talking about school exam cos I never mentioned that in my comment
Anyway, it depends in my school and for my program its both. Infact some courses don't even write exams sef undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by KingCurtis21: 4:13pm On Feb 01, 2020
AussieJoan:

Sorry, didn't know you were talking about school exam cos I never mentioned that in my comment
Anyway, it depends in my school and for my program its both. Infact some courses don't even write exams sef undecided

Thank you..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Smile4mee01: 1:15am On Feb 02, 2020
I am Joan....

Flight is on the the 21st. Heading to Latrobe Uni

AussieJoan:
Who's coming to Victoria this February please let me know before Tuesday, thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by AussieJoan: 1:30am On Feb 02, 2020
Smile4mee01:
I am Joan....

Flight is on the the 21st. Heading to Latrobe Uni

Please send me an email.
Re: Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! by Addenn: 12:57pm On Feb 06, 2020
Aussiejoan can you please highlights some of the food stuff that can be brought, perhaps the ones you took along when you're leaving Nigeria. I read that Australia has strict rules when it comes to what can be taken into the country.
Can foods like rice, beans, spaghetti, grounded pepper, palmoil, Maggi, salt and the likes be carried along without any issue.
Your effort in creating and contributing to this group is appreciated.
AussieJoan:
FEEDING & OTHERS

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Lion Attacks A Lady Tourist In Zimbabwe Who Posed For Pictures(pics) / Things You Only See In Dubai / Nigerians Deported From UK, Arrive Lagos, To Complete Their Jail In Kirikiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.