Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him (36935 Views)

Naija Fm OAP Kofi Bartels Engages Fiancee [photo] / Afia Schwarzenegger Flaunts Kofi Akotuah Addo, Her New Boyfriend / Nigeria Info Port Harcourt OAP Kofi Bartels Loses Mum, Shared Touching Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by kidap: 10:13am On Jun 05, 2019
A popular On-Air Personality in Port Harcourt, Rivers State has been assaulted and manhandled by the men of the Special Anti-Robery Squad, SARS.

The OAP, Kofi Bartels who work for Nigeria Info FM, a popular Talk, News and Sport radio station in Port Harcourt said he was molested and beaten to stupor on Tuesday by men of the SARS while trying to be the voice of the common man – a boy whose mother fries Akara (Beans cake) in the city.

Narrating his ordeal at the hands of the SARS men on his verified Twitter handle, @Kofi_Bartels on Wednesday morning, Kofi said, “Yesterday, I was driving in my area and saw SARS officers beating up a boy who lives in the area. His mum fries Akara for a living and I knew immediately that they wouldn’t be able to ‘settle’ the officers.

“He kept shouting ‘what have I done”, while they tried to force him into their bus. They were beating the hell out of him and don’t know if he would have survived. I made to go plead with them but at a point hesitated and chose to take a shot of the bus and numberplate”.

The Radio presenter said the SARS men broke his knees after massive beatings, adding that his life was threatened as they threw him into the cells overnight.

“I was given the beating of my life right on the road. They started by smashing my knees repeatedly with wooden bars. As I type this, my left knee is swollen and my right knee seriously bruised. I have pains on my head, neck and back.

SARS beats up popular OAP in Port Harcourt, threaten to kill him 1

“I was handcuffed like a common criminal and shots were fired to disperse a small crowd that had gathered. After a second round of beating, I was taken to SARS HQ in Port Harcourt where I was beaten more mercilessly by the SARS officers who took me there. About three others also joined in. They are took turns to slap, punch, kick me all over my body in a detention room, while I was struggling with a swollen knee. At least 6 officers, one at a time. One swore he would have ‘wasted’ me if his team were the one who picked me up. I was told to get ready to be thrown into their cell where I would receive the worst torture, including sexual abuse by male inmates.

“A couple of them told me to watch my back, saying this is my end in Rivers State, due to the human rights issues we treat on radio involving SARS and the police generally.

“My phones were seized and I had no way of communicating with anyone. I was saved at the last minute when word got to their former boss and they were ordered to release me unconditionally. The pains were unbearable last night and I’ll have to go for a skull and knee Xray today”.

Kofi further said he’s never committed any crime, but had only used his office to speak for the less privileged – and the SARS took that as a crime instead.

“Several times, I’ve had to use my media platform to shout on behalf of the voiceless in our society who have had their rights trampled upon by people meant to protect them. I got my own first hand experience yesterday. Some of the officers made me know how they felt about that…literally.

“So my crimes are;
1. Attempting to record the beating of that boy.
2. Taking up SARS and police issues on radio.”

He further called on the National authorities, international authorities including the Ghanaian Government and media to wade into the matter as he fears for his life.

“I’m taking their threats to my life seriously and putting authorities on notice. But please be aware, if anything happens to me or my family, you know who to suspect”, Kofi said.

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Kofi Nigeria Info FM

@Kofi_Bartels
MY ORDEAL AT THE HANDS OF SARS MEN

Yesterday, I was driving in my area and saw SARS officers beating up a boy who lives in the area. His mum fries Akara for a living and I knew immediately that they wouldn't be able to 'settle' the officers. He kept shouting "what have I done",

Source: https://ngg.ng/2019/06/05/sars-beats-up-popular-oap-in-port-harcourt-threaten-to-kill-him/

1 Like

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Dottore: 10:38am On Jun 05, 2019
Thank God they didn't kill you but don't rest until the monsters are brought to justice.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by donbachi(m): 10:49am On Jun 05, 2019
Hard facts

17 Likes

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Thales01: 10:57am On Jun 05, 2019
Dottore:
Thank God they didn't kill you but don't rest until the monsters are brought to justice.
Dude,true justice is non-existent in this country.That is what emboldens SARS officials to go about wantonly harrassing and killing innocent Nigerians with impunity.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Yankiss(m): 11:38am On Jun 05, 2019
Na wa o, with a report before the presidency on how to reform SARS following public outcry, these brainless SARS officers still won't take a chill. I blame the indecision of the government on this continued nuisance. They do what they do secure in their belief that nothing would happen at the end of the day. Creation of State Police is not the answer to SARS reformation. It's just bringing in another set of disgruntled policemen at the mercy of politicians and who would in turn become a nuisance of their own. The bad eggs in the force should be weeded out, then increased funding, training and weaponry would be the icing on the cake.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by andysmith123(m): 11:38am On Jun 05, 2019
now it is time to end sars

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by 111sunshine: 11:38am On Jun 05, 2019
SARS intimidating citizens is just bad

1 Like

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by ChaseNtwk(m): 11:39am On Jun 05, 2019
Kia
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by SOFTDRINK: 11:39am On Jun 05, 2019
Kofi Bartels?

Those SARS officers are just spineless brutes with guns,intimidating and killing innocent people.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by zeusdgrt(m): 11:39am On Jun 05, 2019
Well.... actually.....if u look at the story....it is emphatically correct to invariably connote the circumstances that availed the anticedented prenoqua dorha of such nefledonic scenerio....but quoferious decordance will take it's course in the matter. grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by NaijaOlosho(f): 11:40am On Jun 05, 2019
grin
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Lizilicious(f): 11:41am On Jun 05, 2019
Thats what we see everyday in Nigeria...

In this country you are safer in the hands of Armed robbers than in the hands of policemen

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by cardoctor(m): 11:41am On Jun 05, 2019
Despite all the public shouting on this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Lazgiddy(m): 11:42am On Jun 05, 2019
Naija don tire me I swear am going back to Enugu
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by cardoctor(m): 11:42am On Jun 05, 2019
Despite all the public shouting on this.
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by 12345baba(m): 11:42am On Jun 05, 2019
U still fresh sef. No be better sars beat u

3 Likes

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by timinggggg(m): 11:44am On Jun 05, 2019
■ BITCOINS: SELL: ₦350, BUY:₦370 ■PERFECT MONEY: BUY: ₦370, SELL: ₦340
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by meobizy(f): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2019
I give him seven months before he realizes the futility in finding justice.
The system is corrupt so I doubt anyone will look his way or care to fight for his cause.
It’s sad what happened and I like how he used common sense in trying to bring these criminals to public notice.

1 Like

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by charleybam(m): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2019
There was once a country called....
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 05, 2019
Ah ah, I used to listen in to his shows.
Sars in PH are notoriously ruthless.

These were the popular broadcasters in PH back then: Kofi, Akas Baba (He later brought Akpos to Wazobia FM. I wonder where he is now), OlawaleD O'Square(Who moved from Raypower FM Port Harcourt to Jordan FM Abuja and now at Inspiration FM Lagos -I guess) and Sheriff Quadri (with Amanda of Cool FM).

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by ately1(m): 11:46am On Jun 05, 2019
glad he is still alive.

BUY GOOD AFORDABLE GRADE 1 CAR IN COTONOU MINUS NIGERIA CUSTOM DUTY. CALL 09039130544. 100%legit serious buyer
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by solmusdesigns: 11:47am On Jun 05, 2019
smiley

jocker....

the public sympathy and attention that he seeks as been showered to him
Re: SARS Beat OAP Kofi Bartels In Port Harcourt, Threaten To Kill Him by otokx(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2019
See baptizing, what happened to the man whose mum fries Akara? Kofi should report to the police complaints unit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

R. Kelly Arrested On Federal Sex Trafficking Charges / Davido Throws Party To Celebrate 31st Birthday With Chioma & Friends In Atlanta / Timaya Shares Photo Of his Children - Cute One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.