Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia (6875 Views)

FG May Borrow Loans From China, Turkey, Portugal To Complete Railway Projects / FG Earmarks ₦71.6 Billion For Railway Projects / Amaechi Inspects Railway Projects (live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 4:06am On Jun 06, 2019
NigeriaIsDoomed:
You are lucky to be a Nigerian, if it were China you and those corrupt government officials would have been executed by now to deter other criminal elements.
Continue to support criminals because of the crumbs you are picking from the table.
Folks like you is why Nigeria has been stripped of everything by criminals since 1960.

You should feel lucky for GEJ and his corrupt cronies and looters because China go don slaughter them a long time ago

GEJ and Okonjo stole $2.3 billion and gave it to Dasuki to share with their PPDP cronies from Fayose, to FFK, Metuh and others.

That $2.3 billion is enough to build the same Lagos Ibadan Railway we are talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 4:15am On Jun 06, 2019
It was re-awarded to the same contractor by the Goodluck Jonathan administration in 2012 for execution in six phases, starting with the Lagos-Ibadan stretch.

Okheria also said arrangements were being finalised to start the construction of the Lagos-Calabar and Kaduna-Kano rail lines.

“The contract was awarded by the regime of former President Goodluck Jonathan for $11.917bn. When we took over at the ministry, we renegotiated with the CCECC and we succeeded in reducing the contract sum from $11.917bn to $11.117bn and we are able to save $800m after the renegotiation,” he had explained.

https://punchng.com/n458bn-lagos-ibadan-new-rail-project-begin-feb/

This is what these ignorant people missed, the contract was initially awarded by GEJ @ $11.917 billion, but Amaechi renegotiated and reduced the cost down to $11.117billion.

So, if you ignorant people should really applauding the current administration for renegotiating and reducing the cost.

When GEJ signed the contract at a higher cost, billion you losers did not cry and shout corruption and GEJ wasn't corrupt at all, but Ameachi is corrupt because he reduced the cost and ave Nigeria $800 million.

You people need to get your ignorant and hateful heads checked.

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 06, 2019
Compare 2 bedroom flat foundation in Lagos (swamp) and 2 bedroom flat foundation in Kano, which one do you think will be more expensive?
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:07am On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:

You should feel lucky for GEJ and his corrupt cronies and looters because China go don slaughter them a long time ago

GEJ and Okonjo stole $2.3 billion and gave it to Dasuki to share with their PPDP cronies from Fayose, to FFK, Metuh and others.

That $2.3 billion is enough to build the same Lagos Ibadan Railway we are talking about.

Ogbeni, na you dey support corrupt elements. I wouldn't mind if all those corrupt politicians were executed if it were possible.
My grouse with the present government is high level of hypocrisy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Eroms4life17(m): 5:11am On Jun 06, 2019
All the figures for contracts in Nigeria are HIGHLY inflated. All politicians having access to money in NGR are GUILTY of this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 5:18am On Jun 06, 2019
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Ogbeni, na you dey support corrupt elements. I wouldn't mind if all those corrupt politicians were executed if it were possible.
My grouse with the present government is high level of hypocrisy.

I care less about your opinion about corruption because you are entitled to your opinion, but regarding this project and corruption, you are wrong, you can not even logically prove any case of corruption without facts.

Furthermore, GEJ's cost for the same project was higher, but the person you labelled corrupt actually renegotiated and reduced the cost.

Now, you see how silly you people sound.

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:24am On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:

I care less about your opinion about corruption because you are entitled to your opinion, but regarding this project and corruption, you are wrong, you can not even logically prove any case of corruption without facts.

Furthermore, GEJ's cost for the same project was higher, but the person you labelled corrupt actually renegotiated and reduced the cost.

Now, you see how silly you people sound.

Ogbeni abeg u don win, make I sleep now jare.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by wristbangle: 5:32am On Jun 06, 2019
myboy2111:

Lagos Ibadan is not single track, it is double tracks.

Bias mind will not allow you do small research

https://www.nairaland.com/4879575/update-lagos-ibadan-railway-photos

The total cost of Addis ababa Djibouti's railway line is $4 billion and not $3.4 billion
https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/ethiopia-djibouti-railway-line-modernisation/

The addis ababa Djibouti's railway line is not all double tracks. .only 115km is double while the remaining 600km is single track

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/ethiopia-djibouti-railway-line-modernisation/

Great research bro
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Bragalane: 6:06am On Jun 06, 2019
What idiots normally do after arguing foolishly like the blind bat they are.

NigeriaIsDoomed:
Ogbeni abeg u don win, make I sleep now jare.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Shikini: 7:54am On Jun 06, 2019
Splashme:

Oga, is Buhari's govt funding the Lagos-Ibadan railway?

Is signing a loan agreement with China for a project an achievement?

Who cannot do such a simple task?

Didn't GEJ do it in the case of Abuja-Kaduna railway, airport terminals and Abuja MetroLine projects?

See, I only respect leaders who prudently manage resources and fund their own projects.

Engaging China to fund a project with massive loans for future generations to pay is not an achievement.

You got the point bro

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by NigeriaIsDoomed: 5:36pm On Jun 06, 2019
Bragalane:
What idiots normally do after arguing foolishly like the blind bat they are.

kid
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Staro: 5:47pm On Jun 06, 2019
Splashme:

Oga, is Buhari's govt funding the Lagos-Ibadan railway?

Is signing a loan agreement with China for a project an achievement?

Who cannot do such a simple task?

Didn't GEJ do it in the case of Abuja-Kaduna railway, airport terminals and Abuja MetroLine projects?

See, I only respect leaders who prudently manage resources and fund their own projects.

Engaging China to fund a project with massive loans for future generations to pay is not an achievement.

You're intelligent.
I always wonder why ignorant Nigerians clap for Amaechi when he comes inspecting a railway project almost wholly financed by Chinese loans, loans and more loans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by EngrKem: 5:54pm On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:
If you are going to compare, at least equip yourself with detailed facts like specifications and factors like rail tunnels, rail bridges, rail stations and so on.

Peddling figures and making blind comparisons based on figures without facts and details is ignorance and mental laziness.

Lazy Nigerian youths
Mehn Fvck off!!!
Thank God for niger delta oil every day.
Hypocrits

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by JAWBONE(m): 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:

The projects are the same because they are both railway projects constructed by the same company?

So, Toyota Camry car in Nigeria and Ethiopia share the same cost just because they are made by the same company?

I hope and pray that you people are not the smartest people in your village because if so, your village is doomed. grin grin

The price of a brand new Toyota camry cost the same anywhere, any price difference would be negligible or else people would take advantage to arbitrage. I know your brain cannot comprehend what I just typed because you have donated it to sycophancy but just try and do some research. ZOMBIE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 6:16pm On Jun 06, 2019
[s]
EngrKem:

Mehn Fvck off!!!
Thank God for niger delta oil every day.
Hypocrits
[/s]

Ignorant and unintelligent rubbish.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 6:17pm On Jun 06, 2019
[s]
JAWBONE:

The price of a brand new Toyota camry cost the same anywhere, any price difference would be negligible or else people would take advantage to arbitrage. I know your brain cannot comprehend what I just typed because you have donated it to sycophancy but just try and do some research. ZOMBIE
[/s]

Your ignorant and unintelligent rants are getting boring, get some education and start from basic elementary education.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 6:23pm On Jun 06, 2019
Staro:

You're intelligent.
I always wonder why ignorant Nigerians clap for Amaechi when he comes inspecting a railway project almost wholly financed by Chinese loans, loans and more loans

Sadly for, you, the one in Ethiopia the ignorant losers are talking about was financed with Chinese loans.

Stealing is not corruption GEJ could have built 2 Lagos Ibadan railway with the $2.3 billion he stole and gave to DASUKI ATM to share with his cronies like FFK, Fayose, Metuh and others.

Btw, GEJ inflated the cost of this project by $800 million, Amaechi saved $800 million when he renegotiated the loan so Kudos to Amaechi.

The joke is on you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Staro: 7:34pm On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:
[s][/s]

Your ignorant and unintelligent rants are getting boring, get some education and start from basic elementary education.

See who's talking about intelligence and education.
I have read your posts and will say for a fact that Nigeria is doomed if youths keep reasoning like you

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 7:51pm On Jun 06, 2019
[s]
Staro:

See who's talking about intelligence and education.
I have read your posts and will say for a fact that Nigeria is doomed if youths keep reasoning like you
[/s]

The fact that you are personally doomed doesn't mean Nigeria is doomed.

Speak for yourself

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Staro: 7:57pm On Jun 06, 2019
Splashme:
The difference is too much
Buhari, Amaechi, APC are big thieves.

Exactly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 06, 2019
JAWBONE:

This is the most false statement I’ve ever seen in my life. Why will the price of Toyota be thesame everywhere?? Don’t you factor in import tax, clearance, government policy.

I know of lot of countries that the price of cars are damn expensive such that people don’t even want to import cars because government charge too much on duties to discourage people from importing.

Take for example trade sanction on imported vehicles in other countries, do you mean the car price there will be thesame as another country without sanctions??

The cost to build one mile of road depends on the terrain, country, source to raw materials and lot of other factors. Do you mean the cost to build one mile of road in Brazil will be the same as that of Nigeria for example?

He is trying to correct you and you’re calling him zombie. Sometimes you argue not to win but to learn bro.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by JAWBONE(m): 8:29pm On Jun 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

This is the most false statement I’ve ever seen in my life. Why will the price of Toyota be thesame everywhere?? Don’t you factor in import tax, clearance, government policy.

I know of lot of countries that the price of cars are damn expensive such that people don’t even want to import cars because government charge too much on duties to discourage people from importing.

Take for example trade sanction on imported vehicles in other countries, do you mean the car price there will be thesame as another country without sanctions??

The cost to build one mile of road depends on the terrain, country, source to raw materials and lot of other factors. Do you mean the cost to build one mile of road in Brazil will be the same as that of Nigeria for example?

He is trying to correct you and you’re calling him zombie. Sometimes you argue not to win but to learn bro.

When Toyota produces car, they put a price on it. If the price changes, then it as a result of the specific country economic policies. The price difference among countries cannot be very significant. A brand new toyota cannot cost 30000 dollars in US and sell for 25000 dollars in Nigeria when converted to Naira at production cost, if the cost of importation from Nigeria for American buyers is not up to 5000 dollars, they would simply stop buying Toyota in America and start importing from Nigeria.

Cost to build a mile of road does not depend on terrain only. Yes terrain matters, even in Nigeria it costs more to build a road in the South than in the North because of the terrain
but that does not explain why a bigger project in size and functionality would cost less than a similar project. Terrain does not fully explain why a smaller railyway project in Nigeria should cost more than a bigger railway project in Ethiopia.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
JAWBONE:

When Toyota produces car, they put a price on it. If the price changes, then it as a result of the specific country economic policies. The price difference among countries cannot be very significant. A brand new toyota cannot cost 30000 dollars in US and sell for 25000 dollars in Nigeria when converted to Naira at production cost, if the cost of importation from Nigeria for American buyers is not up to 5000 dollars, they would simply stop buying Toyota in America and start importing from Nigeria.

Cost to build a mile of road does not depend on terrain only. Yes terrain matters, even in Nigeria it costs more to build a road in the South than in the North because of the terrain
but that does not explain why a bigger project in size and functionality would cost less than a similar project. Terrain does not fully explain why a smaller railyway project in Nigeria should cost more than a bigger railway project in Ethiopia.

I get your point bro. But looking at the matter as a whole, there is more to this than just comparing project just by the cost.

Even if the government wants to steal, why will they bring out that exuberant price difference? That alone should tell you there are modalities and the report by the OP is just the heading, if you do the feasibility studies you will unravel the reasons for the price differences.

The media now just carry news without giving in-depth explanation as to the reason why things happened. Just that I currently don’t have time now, if I can make just little bit of research we will know why the prices are different and we can reach a logical conclusion.

But in conclusion, prices will always be different for project across countries even with the same contractors coz situations are different. Why the price difference is this much, I don’t know but I know that if proper research is done, that will be unraveled and logical deductions can be made whether the government inflates the price or not.
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by deomelo: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Splashme:
The difference is too much
Buhari, Amaechi, APC are big thieves.

If Buhari and Amaechi are thieves, then what is GEJ who's budget for the same project was $$800 million larger? Bigger thief. ?

You people come up with the most sense rubbish ever?
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Staro: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Zombies surprise me
I swear ...
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by theenchanter: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Staro:

You're intelligent.
Nigerians have suffered absence of quality leader, any little achievement will seem like cloud nine.

Nigerians are clapping for Ameachi because he's doing an incredible job as a transport minister, its not about who's financing d project. Almost all projects in africa is largely financed by China.

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Mystiquefia: 8:39pm On Jun 06, 2019
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Oga, you can rant from now till you grow white hairs, it doesn't change the fact that you are a corruption apologist and looter. Arrant gibberish! grin grin grin
Nigerians will be shocked when the life of this government expires. Massive looting supported by their apologists like this illiterate I am quoting now happening silently.
you be looter oga na why u dey vex. Abeg no go kee yourself illiterate like u grin dey use your brain wey God dash yoi

Will u shut that compost pit u call mouth and refute his claims with facts? U had to resort to insults because he debunked your outrageous and poorly researched gibberish right?
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by omohayek: 8:40pm On Jun 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

I wonder if you, or anyone else who has referred on here to possible differences in terrain, have ever bothered to actually check out Ethiopia's terrain in comparison with SW Nigeria's? Because if you had, you'd know that Ethiopia is a much more mountainous country, thanks to the Rift Valley running through eastern Africa. That being the case, terrain would be a reason for the Ethiopian line to be more expensive, not less.

There's something ridiculous about the manner in which people on here reflexively defend anything done by "their" party, no matter how glaringly problematic it may be: it's not as if only supporters of one of the two main parties will exclusively bear the costs of servicing these loans, so what is to be gained by such efforts (unless one is being paid for doing so)? Even if it's true that the cost of the railway line under Amaechi is $800 million less than it was under GEJ, how does that establish that it still isn't wildly overpriced, albeit by less than before? That's as senseless as saying corruption in Nigeria ended after Abacha because no one after him established so many secret overseas accounts.

There are real questions to be answered here, and to pretend otherwise is simply to bury one's head in the sand like an ostrich.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by JAWBONE(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

I get your point bro. But looking at the matter as a whole, there is more to this than just comparing project just by the cost.

Even if the government wants to steal, why will they bring out that exuberant price difference? That alone should tell you there are modalities and the report by the OP is just the heading, if you do the feasibility studies you will unravel the reasons for the price differences.

The media now just carry news without giving in-depth explanation as to the reason why things happened. Just that I currently don’t have time now, if I can make just little bit of research we will know why the prices are different and we can reach a logical conclusion.

But in conclusion, prices will always be different for project across countries even with the same contractors coz situations are different. Why the price difference is this much, I don’t know but I know that if proper research is done, that will be unraveled and logical deductions can be made whether the government inflates the price or not.

Thank you. My submission is also based on past history of Nigerian govt inflating projects. Last year there was also a report that it is more expensive to build a km of road in Nigeria than most countries of the world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by JAWBONE(m): 8:42pm On Jun 06, 2019
deomelo:
[s][/s]

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.

Socrates
Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by theenchanter: 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2019
Iblad0994:

well said.

Some even compared it with an ongoing rail project in Ghana n I was like shocked the rail in Ghana will be concessioned to the contractor for 27years but not d lagos/ibadan line. I've not even scratched d surface o.

1 Like

Re: Railway Projects: Cost Comparison Between Nigeria Vs Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 06, 2019
omohayek:

I wonder if you, or anyone else who has referred on here to possible differences in terrain, have ever bothered to actually check out Ethiopia's terrain in comparison with SW Nigeria's? Because if you had, you'd know that Ethiopia is a much more mountainous country, thanks to the Rift Valley running through eastern Africa. That being the case, terrain would be a reason for the Ethiopian line to be more expensive, not less.

There's something ridiculous about the manner in which people on here reflexively defend anything done by "their" party, no matter how glaringly problematic it may be: it's not as if only supporters of one of the two main parties will exclusively bear the costs of servicing these loans, so what is to be gained by such efforts (unless one is being paid for doing so)? Even if it's true that the cost of the railway line under Amaechi is $800 million less than it was under GEJ, how does that establish that it still isn't wildly overpriced, albeit by less than before? That's as senseless as saying corruption in Nigeria ended after Abacha because no one after him established so many secret overseas accounts.

There are real questions to be answered here, and to pretend otherwise is simply to bury one's head in the sand like an ostrich.

I am not defending the government, if you go through my replies you will see that I stated that there is need to make an in-depth research into why the price difference exists to decide whether the government inflated the price or not.

You can’t just jump into conclusion based on the topic without carrying out some proper findings to unravel the true facts. I’m not saying the government can’t inflate the price, we are in Nigeria and we know anything goes here, but still we need to understand situation perfectly before jumping into conclusion.

A lot of things can lead to the price difference which is what I’m Envisaging and until that is established you can’t just go about blaming the minister just based on a headline without facts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tension In Aba As Nnamdi Kanu Death Rumor Keep Circulating / Kogi Election Result / What Kind Of Handshake Is Godwin Obaseki Giving On This Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.